GTP_WRS : Suggestions Box

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 1,032 comments
After reading all of the view points, it seems that doing laps online would hurt the foundation of the Weekly Racing Series. It seems the moderators want to keep the objectives and values in which we have stood by since GTP tags were conceived. That makes sense to me.

And I got to hand it to sjaak68, Vaxen, and EDK, last week, if I would have known that I was that FAR off D1 final times I would have definitely tried a lot harder to get closer. That fact is true. Although I would like I see my laps on the leader board for the WORLD to see how good I am, I don't want to ruin a good name.

My thoughts are this:

IF we want a competition where we can see our times, then we need to think about starting up Enhance Your Skills again. That is the best model for what we want. With a few modifications to the rules regarding behavior towards other competitors.

That way we don't trash the WRS brand image.

Does anyone want to compete in another ONLINE TIME TRIAL competition? I think we can arrange that very easily. I would be willing to take on such a task and one else think they would like to help if I did?

Chad

What you also could do is make a "the online top 10 invasion of Gtplanet" -competition...

That way anyone interested in doing so will know were to go and what to do........

spyrrari.

What you also could do is make a "the online top 10 invasion of Gtplanet" -competition...

That way anyone interested in doing so will know were to go and what to do........

spyrrari.

:lol: Enhance Your Ego is a great working title.

Just my $0.02, I totally agree with keeping it offline/the way we do things now.

Just a reply to posts, i'd be happy to run something similiar to EYS once again, but I will need another person or maybe more to help.:) It was good running it and I've learnt a lot from the last series so if I start a new one hopefully I can fix what went wrong in the first series.

Just a post here to express my interest. :)

I think WRS should be left OFFLINE, I like spyrrari's idea too. :)

I agree that the WRS should remain as offline. Enhance Your Skills is a great place to run time trials online as well as get the same challenging competition the WRS upholds with its fantastic drivers.

@ Mad: I'd be happy to help you with the next series of EYS if you are indeed considering running another one. 👍

Hey Mad,

At the risk of getting over populated, I would like to offer my help with EYS II.

Does anyone want to compete in another ONLINE TIME TRIAL competition? I think we can arrange that very easily. I would be willing to take on such a task and one else think they would like to help if I did?

Chad

Linpark also volunteered to help.

Just FYI, we will both help you with a new series. If you choose to start it again, or with your permission I would like to start EYS up again.

Lots of and if buts and ors.

Chad

To Kevin and Steven

I wanted to suggest something. Seeing that there are a good number of guys participating in the WRS’s and not enough guys wanting to get together and race I was thinking if you could do as normal but instead of doing an event where you have to do hot lapping off line but rather make the guys race (set GMT times of course) and figure out setup while racing. Obliviously they will practice offline but at least you could jump online every now and again and see if you’re competitive. There should also be strict rules of no discussing of lap or sector times nor car setup this should be strictly forbidden.

I look at this as qualifying for a race day which could be a Sunday.

Just a thought and thank you for your time in organising great events.

To Kevin and Steven

I wanted to suggest something. Seeing that there are a good number of guys participating in the WRS’s and not enough guys wanting to get together and race I was thinking if you could do as normal but instead of doing an event where you have to do hot lapping off line but rather make the guys race (set GMT times of course) and figure out setup while racing. Obliviously they will practice offline but at least you could jump online every now and again and see if you’re competitive. There should also be strict rules of no discussing of lap or sector times nor car setup this should be strictly forbidden.

Hello Jonathan - thanks for your input. Please remember I'm just the leaderboard guy and that Kevin is the WRS Mod.

On your idea: when Kevin selects a free run (select in online races) we usually also have a set time where we can meet trackside and practice and have fun together. Other weeks, he picks a time trial that can obviously not be backed by an online meeting.
Apart from WRS we also have the GTP Events which is a separate competition with a limited time where Registry members can partake. That (version 03) is currently in its final stadium with only the best drivers remaining. Check this.

Please keep your ideas coming 👍

To Kevin 👍

Great idea,

an official track day.:)

Last edited:
I would like to see us use the chicane after the hairpin at Suzuka again.
It is open (no cones) in GT5P and we ran it once back in week 178 with the west circuit.

I would like to see us use the chicane after the hairpin at Suzuka again.
It is open (no cones) in GT5P and we ran it once back in week 178 with the west circuit.

... or the busstop st DSS in this months' online event? :drool:

Maybe some race with the GT5 demo sould be organized?
even if it's by the standard rules for applying for the GT academy, it would be still fun to comapre times with forum members

Perhaps the release of the demo can be combined with the start of Event 04 in GTP for all of the Registry members. It's probable not playable online but if so we could have joint fun :D

What about running a combo with a car and a track that exist both in GT5P and in FM3 ?
Would the games physics be accurate enough to keep it a fair race ?

I think something in the Registry thread should be changed or in fact added. Ever more recently, due to the fact that GT5 is getting closer (if that's the right word) more and more people are joining the registry and setting times on their debut WRS which are well above the standards of their qualified division. I'm not going to name names, but I think it's quite evident to see looking through the past few WRS's. I'm all up for players beating other players in different divisions because that's what's great about the WRS.

The only bit of information involving how long or how hard you should try on your qualifier is:

you can submit only ONCE (so be sure to give it your best effort)

Maybe some wording such as "it is suggested that you spend the same amount of hours on your qualifying lap as you would have spare time to spend on the WRS weekly".

I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I thought I would post it.

I see your point there Aderrrm , but when I joined the GT5P/WRS I didn't think twice about my qualifying lap because I wanted to get on with the current WRS event.
Basicly, on the 2nd day I had my PS3 and GT5P I gave the gualifier everything I had till I reached my limits. Then I just started running the currently active WRS event.

In my opinion the qualifier works just fine , because when you do that one fast lap you use the skills that you have at the moment.
And you are put in a division that represents your skills for that time.

As long as overarchivements get noticed and are moved up the ladder the system works fine in my opinion.

MadMax

I gave the qualifier everything I had till I reached my limits. Then I just started running the currently active WRS event.

That's fine. You ran the qualifier until you had reached your limits or couldn't improve by much more than 3 tenths.

But let's go to an extreme. Say someone qualified in division 4, but ran division 1/2 times. It makes me think they ran just 1 lap round fuji with the rx7 and said "oh that'll do". The qualifying lap is there to determine where you will start (approximately) in the division ranking system, and not just start at a lower division when you can easily set faster times. Yeah achievements get noticed, people move up the ladder, but then why don't we all start from division 4 in the first place?

Again, maybe it's just me. :indiff:

As a D1 participant I'm kind of surprised you bring this up, Aderrrm.

I have watched some participants (usually D3 or D4 qualifier) come up through the ranks quickly, sometimes too quickly.
The promotions work well for this.

The only problem I see is for the participant that might have had a few division wins or podiums, like myself, if it were not for (lack of better wording) the slow qualifier.
It's called sandbagging, but I don't want to accuse anybody.

I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt and keep what I think about their performance through the divisions to myself.
It doesn't happen all the time so I go with it and brush it aside.

I'm not saying you shouldn't say anything about what may bother you and I am glad you bring it up.
As you are D1, I think you are trying to help people in D3 and D4 with bringing up the topic, and I commend you for it.

I always advise people to spend the amount of time on their qualifier as they could spend on each combo.

My 2 cents.

Interesting reading from the last few posts from GTP_Aderrrm & GTP_01GTP.

I believe that admin have this setup very well as it stands, if any member old or new shows that they are qualified in the wrong division, soon after 3 or more consecutive wins, or when admin see marked improvment they are soon moved.

I can understand new members doing what they believe to be enough on the qualifier RX7, having no goals to obtain, i.e X’XX.XX time to X’XX.XXX will qualify you in division 1 and so on, all they want to do is get their GTP_Tag and join in the fun with everyone else.

I must admit I’m one of the worst for going off the rails from time to time and not putting in full effort, but I treat it as a game for fun enjoyment and pleasure, being part of this great forum, enjoying the company of its members is just a bonus.

But I can see you both have good points, I think admin are working on something new for GT5 so we may all have to start over again. :scared: As this one stands I wouldn’t change a thing.

Phillip.

I always advise people to spend the amount of time on their qualifier as they could spend on each combo.

This is good advice, but not infallible advice.

I spent about an hour total on the qualifier, including watching a couple replays. I qualified in Div 1 silver. I thought that may be a little high, so I ran a few WRSs ... and proved my suspicion as I run about middle-upper Div 2 (or, more bluntly, Div 1 caboose) times with approximately the same total time spent (~60 min) on any WRS.

OT: I also suspect some (and maybe many) of the recent rush of qualifiers to be doing it just to get "inb4GT5", although that is not very important for this thread.

Last edited:
I quite liked a recent combo:
Skyline Coupe / Tuned on Fuji

Thought it was FWD, but you do notice quickly the RWD.

Regarding the qualifier - There's probably not a perfect system, but there are some ideas for refinement when GT5 full version is (Eventually) released.

In the mean time, we do a reasonably good job of keeping up with promotions, but making sure people are ready before making that jump up.

And, of course, we're always willing to move someone down, if their performance warrants the move. But that change will only be made at their request. And I have not had anyone take me up on that yet. :sly:

The verbiage mentioned regarding putting in the same amount of time you would for a weekly race was included in past WRS qualifier threads and is probably not a bad idea. However, someone may think they are going to spend 30 minutes per week, turn in a qualifier lap based on that, and then find out they really need to run a lot more to get a competitive time.

For that reason, we've asked people to give it their "best effort", which hopefully implies they should not spend only an afternoon on it, unless they are a very accomplished driver.

Hope that helps.

:cheers:
Kevin

I had an idea for an event. I dont know if its something that's already been done or mentioned. Im also unsure if it could be easily or even fairly carried out but hey, its just a suggestion.

I was thinking about the Academy national finals(or what it would've been like to qualify:grumpy:) and I thought about the difference in a month and half long time trial event, and a series of single attempt races in one day. I wonder how many drivers were faster in the tt but made mistakes on the day.

How about a time trial event, 1 or 2 laps but the twist is the laps have to be performed at a predetermined time? You could practice as much as you want all week, but must then run the laps and submit them, warts and all.

Im sure it would create some surprising final standings as faster guys make mistakes or drive too safe. I know it will be nothing like the pressure of the finals but there'd be some.

I know people in different time zones would need to run at different times and obviously people have jobs/partners/lives, but Im sure times could be discussed and grouped. Im not sure, however, if it could be fair as I expect (but dont know) that the time and date on the replays are whatever you set your PS3 to, and could be tampered with. Ido expect though that most GTP_ers come here because they love the game and playing it with honest players.

Nice idea, but it has been done before, I'd say something like 10 weeks ago but I'm not sure and too lazy to search :D
But I'm sure combo's like this will happen again sometime, especially now that you have asked for it 👍

Regarding qualifier from a few posts previous.

I ran my qualifier at Suzuka in an F430, if I go through the list of WRS tracks, I find that in general, Suzuka is probably my worst track compared to others in the WRS field.
So my point is, just because you are placed in a division depicted by a single car/track combo(possibly more important car), doesn't necessarily mean that your relative pace would be the same as someone else who qualified in the same Division and part division.
It has been 18 months approx, since I began WRS and I have improved to be 2 steps up the rungs. I feel my original placement was a fair representation of my pace. I did about 20-30 laps to get my placement. I would do more than that as a minimum for a WRS. Except for a couple of occasions.

EDK
Regarding the qualifier
For that reason, we've asked people to give it their "best effort", which hopefully implies they should not spend only an afternoon on it, unless they are a very accomplished driver.

I agree on the current formulation, "best effort" but maybe state too that even a very slow
pnl28_th.jpg
time will get you qualified, since it is just used to put you with your peers in one division.

For me, I still think I'm inconsistent :yuck: on all my races and thus in the back of the WRS of my division, being bronze it is not that abnormal either. But I think the participation to WRS 👍 are valuable in learning, so even inconsistent times on the qualifier might be your current level. So starting to participate is important.

I used a normal controller when attempting the qualifier and the time that I post put me in a Div. a lot lower than I expected :( Not to worry. I just get to move up the Div. quicker :P

Has anyone ever given thought to an event where perhaps a Div1 driver posts a replay to follow right from the start. That way the slower drivers can load it & see if they can copy it. I know we can do that now after an event ends. But instead of doing that I am usually working on the new event for the current week instead of going back 2 practice. Maybe have Div 1 & 2 compete one week then Div 3 & 4 do it the next? Or really any suggestion that would give us a week to follow a faster racer for the week?

I have a suggestion. If EDK can choose 3 tracks & 3 cars, then we all get a secret vote. The car/track with the most votes would be the next WRS. Thoughts

Back