GTP_WRS'ers and their setups

Playseat + PS VR + PS Move + all 4 ps's up and running + Failing at cable management

So after the last post i tore down my whole setup and planned it from scratch since i wanted all 4 ps's to run with the push of a button. in the end i got there but found out that cable management isn't my strong suit. And although the cabinet under the desk isnt ideal it works for now. however than i got the brilliant idea to buy an ps vr. which made the cable nightmare even worse. So for now this how im going to run. although im probably going to build a new cabinet and some sort of gutter for the cables. Next real upgrade will probably be better screen solution however chossing that is difficult since i also want to do graphic work on it and a good gaming screen isn't necesarilly a good design screen and vice versa.
IMG_9221.JPG
IMG_9224.jpg
IMG_9223.jpg

Also had a stroll through my previous posts in here and i'm stil suprised about all the types of different rigs i drove. comming to think of it i should make an video about it really :P

Previous posts

$0 wheel and rig
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-11#post-9365358

Home theather project + Pedal mods
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-12#post-9907747

Upgrade G27
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-13#post-10014032

Moving to another house + wheelstand pro
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-13#post-10817851

Upgrading to thet T300 alcantara
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-13#post-11539618

Moving houses again and being banned from the livingroom
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-15#post-12486246

Playseat & psx arrival

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-16#post-12738029

Playseat + PS VR + PS Move + all 4 ps's up and running + Failing at cable management

Well I finally upgraded from my old g29 and open wheelerView attachment 925944

Way too many wires around lol

I hope you clean up the cluster since then :lol:.

Congrats on this mighty setup!!

I find it weird that you put the keyboard on the left side...
It would make sense if you put in the right side so that you don't have to switch hands, just leaving the left hand "permanently" on the wheel, no?

I bet if you go back to the G29, it now feels like a toy. How good are your first impressions?

I wish I could justify with the wife the purchase of the Fanatec, but I don't play enough to warrant the upgrade.

For now I am totally enjoying my toy:
i-gHQtWrh-L.jpg

full

i-dpjmWB4-L.jpg

i-pxzBTbR-L.jpg

full

i-KQffzG2-L.jpg

i-8SSGMxr-L.jpg

i-gXxCxXc-L.jpg

More details about my rig can be found here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/post-your-gt5-set-up-and-man-cave.133075/page-52

Last edited:
Both of these make me feel like a right scrub with my G29 screw clamped onto the edge of the desk!

Edit: even had to jam a box behind the pedals to stop them sliding back on braking
View attachment 926733

How do you keep the chair from rolling away?

When I had my G29, I built a homemade desktop that was about knee-high. Nothing fancy, and I used one if those floor rocking gamer chairs.. if i stomped the brakes to hard,i would almost flip backwards. So I took some small wedges, drilled them into the bottom and that solved that.. then I had the problem of my desk scooting across the floor, so I took a long piece of particle board, cut it 1ft wide and put it between the desk and the entertainment center.. wife was not pleased when I brought that thing out and guests came over :lol:

How do you keep the chair from rolling away?

When I had my G29, I built a homemade desktop that was about knee-high. Nothing fancy, and I used one if those floor rocking gamer chairs.. if i stomped the brakes to hard,i would almost flip backwards. So I took some small wedges, drilled them into the bottom and that solved that.. then I had the problem of my desk scooting across the floor, so I took a long piece of particle board, cut it 1ft wide and put it between the desk and the entertainment center.. wife was not pleased when I brought that thing out and guests came over :lol:
Haha yeah I can understand that! Actually it's quite fortunate, it transitions from wood to carpet just behind the chair with one of those metal strips so the wheels perfectly sit against that and stop it rolling. Though every time I start racing I have to make sure the wheels are rotated to the exact right position so that two wheels are against it or it just rolls off to the side.

First impressions for it. It is very solid! No flex at all. High quality over logitech. Everything is adjustable minus seat height. Braking was the biggest problem I had because of the flex with the open wheeler and how hard you have to push the brake pedal for the g29. There is no movement really at all. I can heel/toe downshift easily, just need to practice it more. I love it!

I use vr for iracing, all my controls I can do with the wheel, no need to use the mouse or keyboard while racing.

Edit: me being an idiot, I had no idea what I was doing. Now I actually have the correct settings on the wheel base. Accidentally set everything to max! That was interesting, don't hold the wheel if you crash! Got the settings tuned in now that is recommended, it is the best thing I have ever invested in! Thanks @EDK

Last edited:
Finally have a Playseat on order after years of pulling back the stand that the G29 brake pedal had pushed away from me :lol: really looking forward to getting it set up and seeing how it feels.

Final step in the future will be to move to a Thrustmaster ( or the giddy hieghts of Fanatec :cool: )

So Playseat arrived, built it up before, anyone else have a lot of flex in the vertical pole the wheel is mounted on? It seemed to move in pretty much all directions, so I used zip ties to stop the flex sideways and vertically, and some cardboard under the horizontal bar. It did the trick, feels pretty solid now, just looks a little rough around the edges :boggled:interested to see if anyone had a similar issue and if so how they went about solving it.

Other than that, looking forward to trying it out.

Screenshot_20200705-215049_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-215930_Gallery.jpg

So Playseat arrived, built it up before, anyone else have a lot of flex in the vertical pole the wheel is mounted on? It seemed to move in pretty much all directions, so I used zip ties to stop the flex sideways and vertically, and some cardboard under the horizontal bar. It did the trick, feels pretty solid now, just looks a little rough around the edges :boggled:interested to see if anyone had a similar issue and if so how they went about solving it.

Other than that, looking forward to trying it out.

View attachment 937781 View attachment 937782
I had a Playseat more than 10 years ago. It definitely had more flex than the other rigs I have owned. Was a big upgrade at the time, but I could not go back to it.

What you describe is typical, but better than a table mount.

EDK
I had a Playseat more than 10 years ago. It definitely had more flex than the other rigs I have owned. Was a big upgrade at the time, but I could not go back to it.

What you describe is typical, but better than a table mount.

Thanks Kevin, good to know it's not an error in putting it together, or a defective product, it feels pretty solid now with my patented "mods" :crazy: definitely better than my previous setup!

Thanks Kevin, good to know it's not an error in putting it together, or a defective product, it feels pretty solid now with my patented "mods" :crazy: definitely better than my previous setup!
If you can find a seat, the Simetik I have now is very reasonably priced for the quality. I know you already bought the Playseat, but something to keep in mind.

EDK
If you can find a seat, the Simetik I have now is very reasonably priced for the quality. I know you already bought the Playseat, but something to keep in mind.

Yeah I had a look online at them, they look really good, much more solid than the Playseat. I just needed something fast and ( relatively ) cheap for now, the stand I had was sliding so much on the floor i couldn't really drive without frequent pauses to adjust everything again.

But in the long run it would be a handy upgrade to make, for now it just feels cool to have a proper rig :lol:

I use a G27 with Fanatec pedals on the PS4 using an adapter.

It looks like there is a way to get the adapter to work with the PS5 using a wired PS4 controller to plat GT Sport. The wireless PS4 controller stops after about 8 minutes. On the PS4 this is solved by changing the controller sleep settings. With the PS5 this does not work, hence the non-Sony wired controller. There is some question if this will work for actual PS5 games.

So, I am thinking about a new wheel. Leaning towards a Fanatec. Not sure I can convince my wife I need an $1800 (USD) wheel (the DD wheel). How is the CSL elite wheel for the PS4 (remember I am using a G27)? For those who have used both, how much better is the DD?

Other options beside Fanatec?

Last edited:
I use a G27 with Fanatec pedals on the PS4 using an adapter.

It looks like there is a way to get the adapter to work with the PS5 using a wired PS4 controller to plat GT Sport. The wireless PS4 controller stops after about 8 minutes. On the PS4 this is solved by changing the controller sleep settings. With the PS5 this does not work, hence the non-Sony wired controller. There is some question if this will work for actual PS5 games.

So, I am thinking about a new wheel. Leaning towards a Fanatec. Not sure I can convince my wife I need an $1800 (USD) wheel (the DD wheel). How is the CSL elite wheel for the PS4 (remember I am using a G27)? For those who have used both, how much better is the DD?

Other options beside Fanatec?
CSL Elite is definitely a trade up from the G wheel. It's what I had before my Direct Drive.

The other option is Thrustmaster. I have experience with them, but it's not good. It's basically the Renault of racing wheels, Logitech is the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, and Fanatec is the BMW or Mercedes.

So Renault and BMW are not as reliable as a Civic, but they feature better initial quality. The issue I have with Thrustmaster was their service, and product reliability, and initial quality on certain components. I cannot recommend them in good faith. Especially when Fanatec offers considerably more reliable products at similar prices.

My suggestion is the CSL Elite with the Clubsport v3 pedals. That will still set you back $800-900, but I think it's worth it.

EDIT: I just used the configurator, and if you buy just the PS4 base and add one of the better wheels (BMW in this case) and the pedals I mentioned, it's going to be around $1,100 with tax and shipping.

Last edited:
EDK
CSL Elite is definitely a trade up from the G wheel. It's what I had before my Direct Drive.

The other option is Thrustmaster. I have experience with them, but it's not good. It's basically the Renault of racing wheels, Logitech is the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, and Fanatec is the BMW or Mercedes.

So Renault and BMW are not as reliable as a Civic, but they feature better initial quality. The issue I have with Thrustmaster was their service, and product reliability, and initial quality on certain components. I cannot recommend them in good faith. Especially when Fanatec offers considerably more reliable products at similar prices.

My suggestion is the CSL Elite with the Clubsport v3 pedals. That will still set you back $800-900, but I think it's worth it.

EDIT: I just used the configurator, and if you buy just the PS4 base and add one of the better wheels (BMW in this case) and the pedals I mentioned, it's going to be around $1,100 with tax and shipping.

Thanks, already have v3 pedals, so going with Fanatec.

Does the BMW wheel have button setup to work with ps4? Or do you also use controller for menus?

Does the BMW wheel have button setup to work with ps4? Or do you also use controller for menus?
The buttons work, and you can get little caps to put on them to have the PS symbols if you want. I just learn where they are.

I normally use my controller for the replay and photo modes, but not sure any wheel works well for that.

I totally forgot you had the pedals, somehow. Lol.

In the process of selling my last race motorcycle. Getting more than I thought a 1993 would be worth. If all goes well I will try to swing the DD wheel.
The DD is amazing. It's a complete waste of money, but in the best way. Quite appropriate for something to do with racing. :lol:

I would love to try one of these high end wheel products but unfortunately I could never suggest that kind of purchase to the wife without her laughing at me followed by a slap to the head haha :lol:

I'm jealous guys.. suppose I will just stick with my little plastic G29 for the time being :cheers:

I would love to try one of these high end wheel products but unfortunately I could never suggest that kind of purchase to the wife without her laughing at me followed by a slap to the head haha :lol:

I'm jealous guys.. suppose I will just stick with my little plastic G29 for the time being :cheers:

At least I can suck in style :D.

Yes Kevin, nothing in racing makes sense. Selling the bike for less than 10% of what I spent in my career. Selling for very low 5 figures. It is going to Northern Ireland.

A steering wheel pales in comparison to what I spent IRL. My wife still thinks it is not a great way to spend money. That is her knowing that the balance will go towards her car (looking like a C43 sedan - Boxster in 5 years when she retires).

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back