GTP_WRS'ers and their setups

Out of interest how long have you been an iracer and how much time do you spend on it?

I joined iRacing about 16 months ago. Funny thing is I don't race with it much anymore. I'm not crazy about the physics, specifically the tire model. The new tire model is an improvement, but not available on all the cars yet as far as I know.

There's a lot of good things about iRacing, but the driving feel isn't one of them in my opinion. There's always some type of race going on though, never have to wait around to race. The laser scanned tracks are excellent.

I enjoy the road racing on iRacing, but it's very rare if you can get through a race without someone taking you out. I got tired of it and stopped road racing.

Nascar is even worse.

My favorite is the Indy ovals now. Seems to be the cleanest racing I've found there. Ovals aren't for everyone, but there's more to it than you might think. Racing wheel to wheel for 100 laps at 200mph without crashing is no easy feat. If you lose the draft your dead, and pit stops have to be perfect if you expect to win. The setup is super critical, a good one and you have a chance, a bad one and your three laps down at the end. And you better use the weight jacker as the tires wear if you want to stay with the leaders.

I should get back into it again since I bought most of the content. I think I'm going to try and qualify for the Indy 500 this year. They run the full 500 miles. They have splits, or divisions, depending on your iRating (a sore spot with me, but I won't get into that) so I might be able to qualify in my division.
Just finishing that race would be an accomplishment.

I joined iRacing about 16 months ago. Funny thing is I don't race with it much anymore. I'm not crazy about the physics, specifically the tire model. The new tire model is an improvement, but not available on all the cars yet as far as I know.

There's a lot of good things about iRacing, but the driving feel isn't one of them in my opinion. There's always some type of race going on though, never have to wait around to race. The laser scanned tracks are excellent.

I enjoy the road racing on iRacing, but it's very rare if you can get through a race without someone taking you out. I got tired of it and stopped road racing.

Nascar is even worse.

My favorite is the Indy ovals now. Seems to be the cleanest racing I've found there. Ovals aren't for everyone, but there's more to it than you might think. Racing wheel to wheel for 100 laps at 200mph without crashing is no easy feat. If you lose the draft your dead, and pit stops have to be perfect if you expect to win. The setup is super critical, a good one and you have a chance, a bad one and your three laps down at the end. And you better use the weight jacker as the tires wear if you want to stay with the leaders.

I should get back into it again since I bought most of the content. I think I'm going to try and qualify for the Indy 500 this year. They run the full 500 miles. They have splits, or divisions, depending on your iRating (a sore spot with me, but I won't get into that) so I might be able to qualify in my division.
Just finishing that race would be an accomplishment.

Good luck with the qualifying:tup:

The Elite with it's new firmware may be a good option for you, especially if you're not iracing much. You could sell the GT2 and still have the benefits of having a wheel for all your games. This way you could save some pennies to upgrade your rig further, if you have plans to :)

That CSW looks hard to turn down if you have the money though :sly:

Thanks Energizerrr.

Now if I could only get .5 seconds faster in this weeks WRS. The rig won't do that for me.:sly:

Here's my setup.
.... When you run over a rubble strip on the left, the left side of the seat shakes, and vice versa for the right.

That's some VERY serious equipment there Blair - would love a bigger screen (and a comfy chair for that matter). May treat myself when the house sells.

The rumble strip thing is very cool btw :D

That's some VERY serious equipment there Blair - would love a bigger screen (and a comfy chair for that matter). May treat myself when the house sells.

The rumble strip thing is very cool btw :D

Thanks Carlos,

I got the idea for the left and right setup from another guy here on the GTPlanet.
He's got a rig that makes mine look feeble. He's got nine transducers on it I think.

My next project is to add motion to the rig. The DBox setup is too expensive, so I think I'm going to mod this unit for seat motion only. Similar to the Frex or CXC setups. SimXperience sells a universal kit for 1/5th the cost of the DBox setup. When and if I get that done, I'll update the pictures and let you guys know how it drives.

Hope you sell the house soon. The big screen really adds another level to the driving experience. Can't say it makes me any faster, but it looks and feels better.

Last edited:
Had a look at the SimXperience website Blair :crazy: Assume you'd have to mount the s/wheel support off the seat base so that the geometry between the wheel and the seat didn't change?

It will be a while before I broach the subject of upgrading my rig. Started from scratch 12mths ago and bwteen a PS3, G27 and screen I've already got $1k in my set-up and there always seems to be otherways to spend the money :lol:

Do keep us posted 👍

Had a look at the SimXperience website Blair :crazy: Assume you'd have to mount the s/wheel support off the seat base so that the geometry between the wheel and the seat didn't change?

It will be a while before I broach the subject of upgrading my rig. Started from scratch 12mths ago and bwteen a PS3, G27 and screen I've already got $1k in my set-up and there always seems to be otherways to spend the money :lol:

Do keep us posted 👍

The SimXperience system uses seat motion only, the wheel and pedals are fixed to the rig normally. A quote from their website about this type of motion system-

Our Motion Principles

Our simulators are designed to optimize the principles of kinesthesia and proprioception. This concept is often applied in advanced Olympic training programs.

The fact is that no simulator can provide the full G-Forces, torque, etc.. that an actual vehicle can, therefore a simulator must fool the brain into perceiving these effects in an immersive manner. We do this by properly scaling G-forces and vehicle movements, manipulating your inner ear (sense of balance) and by creating properly scaled muscle pressures.

The key to creating the properly scaled muscle pressures lies in the fact that we choose not to move the wheel and pedals, and only the occupant. You can easily see how under braking, for example, that we can apply the same pressure to the muscles in your wrist and forearms as would be applied in an actual vehicle. Simulators that attempt to move the entire cockpit (wheel included) could only create these pressures if they were able to create the exact same G-Forces as the real vehicle AND sustain them.

Our unique combination of kinesthesia optimization combined with muscle pressure optimization and muscle memory optimization results in one of the most advanced and immersive simulations available anywhere at any price.

It's not enough to simply create this immersion. The human brain will continually attempt to break the immersion by attempting to identify movements that are not to scale with real world movements or that were unexpected. We go to great lengths to ensure that each motion profile created meets a strict criteria that focuses on the reduction of these "negative motion cues". However, not everyone will be immersed by the exact same criteria and some tweaks to the motion profiles may be required to achieve near perfect immersion for a particular individual. The SimXperience Stage Series of simulators is based on the German engineered X-Sim motion engine. X-Sim provides the ultimate flexibility in motion profile creation and fine tuning. No competing motion control software offers anything close to the flexibility of X-Sim.
That's a mouthful, the fact is I haven't driven any type of motion rig myself. This method does seem a bit odd, but several companies are using it, so it must work fairly well. I'm leaning towards this method from a cost stand point. Much cheaper than the DBox setup.

This system only works on PC sims. If PD and Sony would let us access the G-force data from the sim it should work. I'm not holding my breath on that one. Maybe on PS4 and GT6.:)

The goal with this was to make it as simple as possible but rock solid (welded steel) and ergonomic. I made several 3D mock-ups prior to construction. I have built other rigs, (all 3 are at chuks house) but they were tailored for the DFP/DFGT... so I took the plunge and made a newer model for the G27. The seat is adjustable to fit most normal folks.... excluding tiny kids and 7ft basketball players.

I deleted the clutch (had to do some rewiring) and spaced out the pedals in a way that was most comfortable. It is easy to transport... all i need to do is take the seat off, which is fastened with wing nuts, so no tools required. You can carry it with one hand, minus the seat. The hard mounts are installed with allen cap screws. The controller is quick-connected to the center of the wheel with a snap-lock fastener. It works great, stays put, and doesn't get in the way.

Oh, this rig does make you faster...
stirthepot.gif
... and the simplicity makes it affordable too.

The top image is a render of the 3D model.

G27_prototype10.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

Major elements:
G27 $250, Garage Pro Seat $160, steel $40, rubber sheeting $30, fasteners $20

Total $500

Last edited:
That's a really nice simple rig Jake. Do you get any wheel shake with it just being on a single support?

That's a really nice simple rig Jake. Do you get any wheel shake with it just being on a single support?

They are rock solid, far and away the best I've ever driven on. The guage of the steel is much too heavy to experience shake.

I would pay him to biuld me one if I didn't think cross company shipping would be in the hundreds of dollars.

Maybe we can encourage Jake to put some plans up or share the model. It really does look a very elegant design : tup:

The new design is even more rigid than the previous iterations. What's cool, is I used exactly half the amount of steel on it this time around. The tube holding the wheel is roll cage tubing. I also used a thicker 5/16" steel plate for the wheel to bolt onto... Imagine it as stiff as a roll cage.

I initially worked with a wooden prototype that was chopped and rebuilt several times to get the exact mounting points. This paved the way for the steel versions.

This photo is the first steel version for the DFP I made that Kevin is referring to. The plate under the wheel is much thinner than the new version. It does have a tendency to flex under higher pressures which led me to beef it up a bit on the new one. The plate was the weakest spot, the tubing is truly rock solid... that's when I realized the box frame idea was overkill. Funny that seat is from my 240Z.

GT-cockpit-02.jpg

Last edited:
This photo is the first steel version for the DFP I made that Kevin is referring to. The plate under the wheel is much thinner than the new version. It does have a tendency to flex under higher pressures which led me to beef it up a bit on the new one. The plate was the weakest spot, the tubing is truly rock solid... that's when I realized the box frame idea was overkill. Funny that seat is from my 240Z.

Six years and counting!! I still drive that set-up to this day!! 👍 :)
Need a new wheel, though! :dopey:

Last edited:
Six years and counting!! I still drive that set-up to this day!! 👍 :) Need a new wheel, though! :dopey:

Those old DFP's held up well, chuk. As soon as you get the DFGT we can do the swap. 👍

edit: .... or the G27 💡

Last edited:
this is a fun thread. Thought I would add my rig for comments. I made it out of parts from an old porch swing I found in the metal dumpster behind work, the seat is from a highschool desk. Also has stainless steel brackets made from scraps found in the dumpster.

I didn't have any drawings of plans ahead of time, just started cutting and welding and made it up as I went along.

Not adjustable, only fits people my size, but I happen to be my size.:)

Have many plans in my head for more advanced setups but hard to find the correct parts in the dumpster.

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Also, thats my dog Obie doing the modeling.

That looks really cool, There are so many creative ways to build these things. Way better than pressing the BUY button. Have you seen THIS thread?

One guy modified an exercise machine. My friend Kenny (01GTP) made HIS from a gas grill. He saw something no one else could.

That looks really cool, There are so many creative ways to build these things. Way better than pressing the BUY button. Have you seen THIS thread?

One guy modified an exercise machine. My friend Kenny (01GTP) made HIS from a gas grill. He saw something no one else could.

Thanks Jake. I think you were responding to my post.
Just looked at a couple of the pics on that thread, all are cool, and fun to see all the different designs.

I think building the rig is as much fun as using it. Your frame is very nice looking and much more professional than mine.

this is a fun thread. Thought I would add my rig for comments. I made it out of parts from an old porch swing I found in the metal dumpster behind work, the seat is from a highschool desk. Also has stainless steel brackets made from scraps found in the dumpster.

I didn't have any drawings of plans ahead of time, just started cutting and welding and made it up as I went along.

Not adjustable, only fits people my size, but I happen to be my size.:)

Have many plans in my head for more advanced setups but hard to find the correct parts in the dumpster.

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Also, thats my dog Obie doing the modeling.

I see you have a Guard Dog to :scared: No one will think about stealing your equipment :lol:

Nice thrown together rig you have there, the dog to :nervous::D

Edit: All day I have been looking at the Gameracer Elite, looks a pretty good rig and the price isn't to bad either. What do you guys think?

http://www.gameracer.co.uk/images/xl_GRELT001.html

seeing all the rigs about has really made me want to get one of my own, I don't have the opportunity to make my own as I live in a shared building and don't really have the space anywhere to start constructing anything, or making much noise for that matter :ouch:

Last edited:
All this welding and carpentry lark just makes me jealous - I'm in the industry I'm in for a reason, if it hasn't got a keyboard attached, I'm stuffed.

Sweet setups - this thread is awesome :)

The chassis looks sweet on the Gameracer, Plato! I am looking for a comfortable seat myself. I'm too old and drive too much to be uncomfortable! I have decided to go with the G27 for a wheel, and Jake already knows the modifications that need to be made to the original chassis he built for it to work. So the seat is the last thing for me to get!

I see you have a Guard Dog to :scared: No one will think about stealing your equipment :lol:

Nice thrown together rig you have there, the dog to :nervous::D

Edit: All day I have been looking at the Gameracer Elite, looks a pretty good rig and the price isn't to bad either. What do you guys think?

http://www.gameracer.co.uk/images/xl_GRELT001.html

seeing all the rigs about has really made me want to get one of my own, I don't have the opportunity to make my own as I live in a shared building and don't really have the space anywhere to start constructing anything, or making much noise for that matter :ouch:

Ya, dog looks intimidating but I think he's too lazy to be bothered with guarding anything.

Looks like a nice rig. Simple design should keep the price down and looks very adjustable.

Anyone have any alternatives to the Gameracer which aren't to pricey, all suggestions welcome:tup:

Keep in mind I will be needing compatibility with the CSR ( same base as the Porsche range, correct me if i'm wrong)

Also need to make sure it's easy enough to mount the CSR Elite pedals to.

:cheers: guys

I like your rig too, Baron (name?). It looks nice and stable, and as you say, you just happen to be the size that fits it!! 👍

The more I look at this rig the more I want to buy it :scared:

With me living in the Channel Islands it is hard for me to find a seller that delivers to where I live. I came across this on the amazon marketplace and my island is actually listed as a place they will deliver to which amazed me.

The message "only 5 left in stock order soon" is basically telling me to proceed to checkout :scared::D

Edit: Couldn't stand to look at it any longer...ORDERED!!!! :D

Last edited:
The more I look at this rig the more I want to buy it :scared:

With me living in the Channel Islands it is hard for me to find a seller that delivers to where I live. I came across this on the amazon marketplace and my island is actually listed as a place they will deliver to which amazed me.

The message "only 5 left in stock order soon" is basically telling me to proceed to checkout :scared::D

I'm sure you'll love it if you decide to get it. Any race rig is a big improvement over no rig. I don't have much insight into which is better as I don't any personal experience with them.

Yup Chuck, you got my name right.

Baron

I'm sure you'll love it if you decide to get it. Any race rig is a big improvement over no rig. I don't have much insight into which is better as I don't any personal experience with them.

Yup Chuck, you got my name right.

Baron

Not sure if you seen my edit :sly:

Had to order it, it's probably the only chance I will get of having a rig as I explained in an earlier post. It seems to be very adjustable and from the description easy to assemble and if need be put away when I have guests.

Not sure if there were any cheap alternatives about, but as I said there may be, but 9 times out of 10 they won't ship over here.

The cost of this was £300, but i'm sure there will probably be customs charges on top of this.

Very excited :) Looks to be a nice looking rig in my opinion. Estimated delivery is between the 12-16 of this month but I can't see it being here that soon.

Edit: Surely this will help me get back into racing when it arrives :D

Not sure if you seen my edit :sly:

Had to order it, it's probably the only chance I will get of having a rig as I explained in an earlier post. It seems to be very adjustable and from the description easy to assemble and if need be put away when I have guests.

Not sure if there were any cheap alternatives about, but as I said there may be, but 9 times out of 10 they won't ship over here.

The cost of this was £300, but i'm sure there will probably be customs charges on top of this.

Very excited :) Looks to be a nice looking rig in my opinion. Estimated delivery is between the 12-16 of this month but I can't see it being here that soon.

Edit: Surely this will help me get back into racing when it arrives :D

Ya, didn't see that. Congrats, I'm sure it will be impossible to resist putting in some seat time when it shows up.

Back