GTP_WRS'ers and their setups

I can echo what Scott (mcfizzle) says. [I believe I remember it's Scott!]

I have three set-ups in my living room. Jake built them and they were all outfitted with DFP's around five years ago. Last year, Jake bought a G27, and Kenny brought over his DFGT, and I spent a couple of days running all three. My opinion is exactly the same. The DFGT wheel is a great product for the price, and all the wheel you'd ever need, but the pedals are limited. The G27 is also a great wheel, but the better pedals gave me more precision than the DFGT. The better precision made it much easier to hit every apex the same way, increasing my consistency, which helped me get faster in a shorter amount of time.

So today I am going to finish painting a house, and that money goes to a new G27! Kenny is still happy with his DFGT, and he is quite fast with it, but I want the pedals. That's worth the extra $100 to me, (it's $250 for the G27). The upgrade in pedals is what made the difference for me, but I won't pay hundreds more for the elite wheels because the G27 is enough of a step up and should keep me satisfied for a few years! :)

I can echo what Scott (mcfizzle) says. [I believe I remember it's Scott!]

I have three set-ups in my living room. Jake built them and they were all outfitted with DFP's around five years ago. Last year, Jake bought a G27, and Kenny brought over his DFGT, and I spent a couple of days running all three. My opinion is exactly the same. The DFGT wheel is a great product for the price, and all the wheel you'd ever need, but the pedals are limited. The G27 is also a great wheel, but the better pedals gave me more precision than the DFGT. The better precision made it much easier to hit every apex the same way, increasing my consistency, which helped me get faster in a shorter amount of time.

So today I am going to finish painting a house, and that money goes to a new G27! Kenny is still happy with his DFGT, and he is quite fast with it, but I want the pedals. That's worth the extra $100 to me, (it's $250 for the G27). The upgrade in pedals is what made the difference for me, but I won't pay hundreds more for the elite wheels because the G27 is enough of a step up and should keep me satisfied for a few years! :)

Yup, it's Scott.👍

And I always recommend looking at NIXIM mod for anyone with or getting a G25/27. It adds even more resistance to brakes and gives them a good progressive feel. Well worth the $35 I thought.

http://www.nixim.com/index.php?pageid=brakemod

I also agree that it's down to the pedals, I don't need to go into detail as Scott has done a good job of that. The high end pedals do take some getting used to but after a good few hours you start to get used to them. At first I struggled to get used to the brake pedal as it seemed strange having to apply so much pressure to get the desired braking, after a while though once the pedals are warn in it feels more natural as there isn't as much resistance compared to when you first used them.

My first wheel was the DFGT and I must say I still think it's a great wheel, as Scott said though the pedals really don't give you much feel. For me it is the pedals that are the most important part of the setup, if the DFGT had the load cell feature I would probably still be using it now.

As it is though I am giving my DFGT along with the WSP to my 10 year old son. Who knows, in a few years he could be showing all of us how it's done in the WRS :sly:

Thanks for the comments on my setup guys, as I said sorry for the poor quality of the pics. When I have better equipment I will take some better pictures. The main thing I want sorted now is to hard mount my wheel and pedals. The wheel feels fine using the clamp but it will probably weaken over time. As for the pedals the cable ties I have used are temporary, don't feel comfortable with the pedals mounted like that at the moment.

Great setup by the way Scott 👍

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, they're all very helpful. I have never had the chance to use a wheel besides my own so the comments about the pedal feel is a big help.

As I said, when I get a new wheel I'm thinking it will be a g27 due to price so it's good to here the positive feedback. I've also heard a fair amount of reliability issues with other wheels lately.

Probably won't replace my wheel too soon, I'm thinking it would make a good xmas gift this year. We are going to be closing on a 110 year old victorian this week. Beautiful house, but needs to be restored and I'm the main source of labor.

Thanks again, more proof that this is a great community.

I thought we were talking wheels? Pedals are another matter altogether.
No way I would have been able to score a win in Week 42 without the load cell, no chance.

As it says on the box of CSR Elite pedals: "A good wheel feels nice. A good set of pedals make you faster."

I have a friend who always kicked my butt and he used an ancient GT Force wheel, now he bought a new DFGT and he's even more alien now (and he praises the improvement especially on brakes over GT Force). Imagine if he had G27/Fanatec. :scared:
I'm literally begging him to come to WRS for months now with no avail. :(

Talking pedals here are you?
Is there anyway of modding the DFGT brake pedal with a stiffer spring(s)?

zrodegreesklvn
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, they're all very helpful. I have never had the chance to use a wheel besides my own so the comments about the pedal feel is a big help.

As I said, when I get a new wheel I'm thinking it will be a g27 due to price so it's good to here the positive feedback. I've also heard a fair amount of reliability issues with other wheels lately.

Probably won't replace my wheel too soon, I'm thinking it would make a good xmas gift this year. We are going to be closing on a 110 year old victorian this week. Beautiful house, but needs to be restored and I'm the main source of labor.

Thanks again, more proof that this is a great community.

Baron, Amazon have got a good deal on the G27 at the moment. 100% recommendation from me as well 👍

Thanks Energizer and Wes. 👍

Now what's best, mod the spring or bungee cord?

Actually I'm already on my way to do the spring thing.

No way I would have been able to score a win in Week 42 without the load cell, no chance.

As it says on the box of CSR Elite pedals: "A good wheel feels nice. A good set of pedals make you faster."

I have a friend who always kicked my butt and he used an ancient GT Force wheel, now he bought a new DFGT and he's even more alien now (and he praises the improvement especially on brakes over GT Force). Imagine if he had G27/Fanatec. :scared:
I'm literally begging him to come to WRS for months now with no avail. :(

I was referring to both pedals and the wheel as I assumed he was asking about both.

I've heard good things about pending the spring as shown in the video Wes posted. I personally used bungee cords with decent success on my DFP.

You can replace the spring, bend it or you could use a bungee cord.

I remember that video of the bungee cord mod, I never did try it though. That's AJ The Boy from the forza series in that video, seriously fast driver that also come across to GT land, not so much anymore though, I think he spends most of his time on iracing. :)

Did you use that mod when you had the DFGT Wes? If so did it make a big difference?

I remember that video of the bungee cord mod, I never did try it though. That's AJ The Boy from the forza series in that video, seriously fast driver that also come across to GT land, not so much anymore though, I think he spends most of his time on iracing. :)

Did you use that mod when you had the DFGT Wes? If so did it make a big difference?
No, I didn't use any mods as I didn't have any problem with the pedal resistance.. I don't think my laptimes are any faster now with the clubsport pedals but it feels nicer.:)

Sorry about the confusion. My simple mind always lumps the two together.

That spring trick looks handy.

Spring mod complete. (30 min)
It feels much better ... almost like a real brake pedal.
Now, let's see if I can adapt to it. :scared: :)

Just to go back to fast guys using the DFGT, I think in some cases that's a deliberate move as the GT Academy series uses the same wheel and I can imagine the single minded focus that says "when I get to the finals I don't want to be getting used to a new/different wheel"

Careful doing the spring mod to the DFGT pedals, I've heard a few cases where the spring breaks shortly after bending it. I used bungee cords with good success when I had a DFGT.

Carlos Fandango
Just to go back to fast guys using the DFGT, I think in some cases that's a deliberate move as the GT Academy series uses the same wheel and I can imagine the single minded focus that says "when I get to the finals I don't want to be getting used to a new/different wheel"

2008 we had G25's and 2010 G27's :)

In a way you were right though.. DFGT should be the obvious choice. That's why I did buy one last time for practise, before I heard we'd have G27's 👍 (forgot T500RS, but that wasn't out then)

Last edited:
I took the spring out of the DFP/DFGT. The spring would not even engage until the pedal was pressed about 1/4 of it's range. Taking it out makes it a lot smoother, I just got used to the lack of resistance and used the angle of my foot to judge the amount of braking.

Now with the G27 I put the clutch spring into the brake. It has decent resistance but still plays by the same rule as the others... Linear feel, measured only by angle.

I plan on trying out the nixim mod, but not so much for GT. I think that mod would benefit me more with iRacing as lockup is more of a reality there. Either way, speed just comes through comfort and lots of practice.

Finally got some pics up of my slightly creative setup. :)

Simple but cheap. The chair's from Ikea and was about £40. It's actually really comfortable and gives a nice seating position. Logitech X540 speakers, but I need some stands for the 2 rear ones. The base is an unused kitchen cabinet with a nice hole cut out of it. :D

Shortly after build, prior to paint and placing in game room.

GTwheel.jpg

Amazon has them for 209 I believe. My wife just ot me one for valentines.

My wheel stand pro will be here Tuesday. Pics to follow!!!

Justin

Back