GTP_WRS'ers and their setups

Ya, didn't see that. Congrats, I'm sure it will be impossible to resist putting in some seat time when it shows up.

May need to get my hands on some tools to (drill) I don't think it comes with pre-drilled holes so there will be a little bit to do when it arrives. Like you said i'm sure it will be hard to resist playing GT once it arrives :)

May need to get my hands on some tools to (drill) I don't think it comes with pre-drilled holes so there will be a little bit to do when it arrives. Like you said i'm sure it will be hard to resist playing GT once it arrives :)

Plato,

The GameRacer rig looks really nice.👍 Construction looks solid, and very adjustable. The seat looks comfy too, for those long sessions at the wheel.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jake,
Oh, this rig does make you faster... ... and the simplicity makes it affordable too

Nice bit of advertising there:) Your rig does look very solid and well built. It is very rewarding to build your own rig, but some people don't have the tools to do so.

I like your CAD model, very cool. I made my living doing CAD design in the automotive world. Which software did you use?

Plato,

The GameRacer rig looks really nice.👍 Construction looks solid, and very adjustable. The seat looks comfy too, for those long sessions at the wheel.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Blair:tup:

Read a lot of reviews and a lot of people are saying how comfortable it is, good to here as I will be spending hours racing :D

May also need a new TV stand for it, could really do with one that has a spacey center so the bottom half of the rig slides underneath to save me some space. My TV is on one of my bedside units at the moment and could do with a unit with no insides to give me more space.

If any of you guys have some cheap alternatives to share, please post me the link :)

Last edited:
This my set-up

-G27
-Old school fatty PS3 (Third replacement:crazy:)
-Frame made by a farmer who sold them on the Net.
-Honda chair
-Samsung LCD HDready screen
-Old PC
-Headset
-Sony Mic
-Sony keyboard for micless rooms

dsc09035u.jpg

I like your CAD model, very cool. I made my living doing CAD design in the automotive world. Which software did you use?

The frame acts more like a tuning fork. It has a slight damping effect to it. The FFB pulses slightly through the frame... makes for a very cool experience. Like a small amount of bass-shake that is just shy of negligible.

I used 3dsmax for the model. I don't use a CAD application but max has plenty of CAD based toolkits in it.

Sjaak: that is a great looking set-up 👍

Blair,

Are the Buttkickers worth the price you have to pay for them? I take it they must be as you have 4 of them :sly:

I was just wanting your opinion on them in case I decide to upgrade my rig in the future (when it arrives)

I notice when people start going down the route of buying a rig it never seems to stop there :D I'm sure I will be no different a few months or so down the road :lol:

I made a bass shaker setup a while back, I just don't have it working the way I want. Even with low-pass it would pick up the wind noise, so the rumble was coming from the wind not the rumbles. Any suggestions how to fix this? I was thinking to splice off of the wire that carries the FFB signal and wire that to my amp, somehow.

Blair,

Are the Buttkickers worth the price you have to pay for them? I take it they must be as you have 4 of them :sly:

I was just wanting your opinion on them in case I decide to upgrade my rig in the future (when it arrives)

I notice when people start going down the route of buying a rig it never seems to stop there :D I'm sure I will be no different a few months or so down the road :lol:

I started out with one unit (Buttkicker Advanced model) which is their medium sized unit. The larger unit would be overkill for a racing rig. I bought the kit with their amp included. You could buy the transducer only, but would need some other amp to power it. Their amp has a built in low pass filter which makes it much simpler to hook up. You can probably use the PS3 audio out with no problem. If your using a multichannel receiver you would use the LFE out to the amp.

They also sell a Gamer version which uses a smaller transducer. It's designed to mount to the center post of an office style chair, so I don't know how you would mount it to your rig.

If your going to make the jump, I'd recommend just one of the Advanced Kits. You'll have to drill 4 holes to mount it, and need a flat surface about 4" square, or should I say 100mm's square.:sly:

It does add some realism to the driving. I wouldn't compare it to a force feedback wheel for realism, but I would miss it if I didn't have it.

Jake,

I made a bass shaker setup a while back, I just don't have it working the way I want. Even with low-pass it would pick up the wind noise, so the rumble was coming from the wind not the rumbles. Any suggestions how to fix this? I was thinking to splice off of the wire that carries the FFB signal and wire that to my amp, somehow.

What signal were you feeding the amp? It sounds like you were using some sort of low pass filter which is good. Typically you would use the LFE channel if your setup has that option. If your feeding it a full range signal, say from the PS3 you'll need a crossover to match the frequency to your transducer.

If your picking up wind noise I'd say you need to adjust the crossover to a lower frequency if you can. If your using a multichannel receiver and the LFE output from that (and the receiver has bass management) you can adjust the crossover in the receiver to help get the effects your looking for.

As far as using the FFB signal to feed the shaker amp, I don't see how that would be feasible. They need a audio signal to operate.

Last edited:
What signal were you feeding the amp? It sounds like you were using some sort of low pass filter which is good. Typically you would use the LFE channel if your setup has that option. If your feeding it a full range signal, say from the PS3 you'll need a crossover to match the frequency to your transducer.If your picking up wind noise I'd say you need to adjust the crossover to a lower frequency if you can.

I set this up when I was running GT4 so I took the composite audio and plugged it in to THIS amp. Then ran it to THIS transducer. I could not isolate just the rumble strip sounds, which was disappointing. So if I am understanding you right all I would need in addition to what I have is a crossover so that can get the exact rumble frequency?

I set this up when I was running GT4 so I took the composite audio and plugged it in to THIS amp. Then ran it to THIS transducer. I could not isolate just the rumble strip sounds, which was disappointing. So if I am understanding you right all I would need in addition to what I have is a crossover so that can get the exact rumble frequency?

This looks like a good setup. A subwoofer amp is great for this, with it's built in low pass filter. I was considering buying the Clark transducer myself, but the size was too large of a dia. to use on my rig.

I see the amp has an adjustable low pass filter of 40-180hz. I would start by setting it at 180hz and adjusting from there. I'm surprised you picked up wind noise at 180hz or below. The problem is there's no way of controlling whats recorded into the audio signal at a given frequency. If there's wind noise at or below 180hz the transducer will reproduce it, no way around it.

You mentioned you tried this setup with GT4. I don't have GT4 myself so I'm not familiar with how the audio was recorded. If it was recorded in stereo only that might have something to do with your problem, hard to say. I believe GT5 was recorded in multichannel 5.1 audio, which makes it easier to isolate certain sounds to separate channels. In stereo the full frequency range has to mixed into just two channels.

I would try your setup again with GT5 and see how it works, buts there's only so much you can do with these types of systems. If you have a 5.1 multichannel receiver you could take the audio out from the PS3 (in my case I'm using HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver) and use the preamp out from the receiver (if it has them, most all of them have at least LFE out) to your subwoofer amp. This way you can choose different channel outputs to find which works best.

Good luck, hope this helps you out.

I would try your setup again with GT5 and see how it works, buts there's only so much you can do with these types of systems. If you have a 5.1 multichannel receiver you could take the audio out from the PS3 (in my case I'm using HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver) and use the preamp out from the receiver (if it has them, most all of them have at least LFE out) to your subwoofer amp. This way you can choose different channel outputs to find which works best.

I will try it again, I just don't have a 5.1 receiver. Are there any compact, budget 5.1 receivers I could look into? It would just be dedicated to this function.

You might be able to use something like this-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D8YTKQ/?tag=gtplanet-20

I guess it took this conversation for me to realize that I already have the parts I need. I bought a Tritton Pro Headset and never really looked at the options on the control box. Lo and behold, on the side of the box there are 1/8" front / center / sub outputs sitting there, staring right back at me. :dopey:

I will run my mini jack - RCA adapter from the sub-out to the low level input channel on the amp... Too bad my amp and transducer aren't here in my apartment. I will have to dig them out of the closet back at home.

Thanks for all your help, I will report back on this once I try it out. 👍

Hello guys,

My rig arrived today and I have it all built up, the only problem I have is the pedal plate is to small for the CSR Elite pedals. Do you guys have any idea if I can get hold of a bigger pedal plate from somewhere, or is there an easy mod around this?

Very happy with the stability and comfort of the rig, I just need to do something about the pedals and get hold of a drill so I can mount the wheel properly.

:cheers:

the only problem I have is the pedal plate is to small for the CSR Elite pedals. Do you guys have any idea if I can get hold of a bigger pedal plate from somewhere, or is there an easy mod around this?

Can you take a few pics of the issue?

Kelvin, make up a drawing of what a flat plate might look like and then take it to your local timber merchant / B&Q Warehouse. They shoul dbe able to cut a piece if MDF or plywood to suit, then you'd just need to drill some holes.

I would try your setup again with GT5 and see how it works, buts there's only so much you can do with these types of systems. If you have a 5.1 multichannel receiver you could take the audio out from the PS3 (in my case I'm using HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver) and use the preamp out from the receiver (if it has them, most all of them have at least LFE out) to your subwoofer amp. This way you can choose different channel outputs to find which works best. Good luck, hope this helps you out.

Blair, I collected my components and just tried it out. It works! I have the transducer temporarily attached to the rig for testing. Once I get some time I'll bolt it to the frame under the seat. It's really powerful, I only need to increase the gain very little to get the effect.

I just have to decouple the frame from the floor with some rubber mounts and its good to go. 👍

Good Lord Blair!! You've created a monster! :sly:

You do realize, Jake, that now we have to retrofit ALL of the set-ups to this!! :D

Blair, I collected my components and just tried it out. It works! I have the transducer temporarily attached to the rig for testing. Once I get some time I'll bolt it to the frame under the seat. It's really powerful, I only need to increase the gain very little to get the effect.

I just have to decouple the frame from the floor with some rubber mounts and its good to go. 👍

Cool 👍, glad I could help.

I think you'll find you won't want to race without it now, adds a bit more realism.

chukabilly

Good Lord Blair!! You've created a monster!

You do realize, Jake, that now we have to retrofit ALL of the set-ups to this!!

Looks like Chuk has some additional work lined up for you.:lol:

You do realize, Jake, that now we have to retrofit ALL of the set-ups to this!! :D

I'd hate to think how much that would cost. Save your pennies chuk! I'm going blow my cash on iRacing instead. :sly:

I decided to use cable ties to secure my pedals until I can either cut some MDF or wait 6-8 weeks until Gameracer release a pedal plate for the clubsport and elite pedals. Contacted them a couple of days ago and they did say because there was a lot of interest in the Fanatec products that they decided to make plates for them.

I will probably construct something myself though to save some money. The cable ties seem to be doing a great job at the moment so I am not in to much of a hurry to mount them properly.

Looking at week 49, if some tunes are posted that I can get on with this will be my first week back for a while. Hopefully I can borrow my friends phone to show you guys some pics of my new setup, i'm very happy with it :)

Here are the pics

6701162363_20f60e08cf_m.jpg

6701161849_699e39cac6_m.jpg

6701363549_800bef2ce3_m.jpg

Sorry for the very poor picture quality (and my poor photography) :lol:

I was using an xbox vision camera to take these, not really the best of tools :sly:

I am a bit limited for space when taking photos as well which doesn't help. When I get hold of a better camera and wait for the evening for better lighting I will take some better pics :D

Currently using this rig with a CSR wheel and CSR Elite Pedals, may be the odd extras in the future :)

Last edited:
My new setup:

T500RS w/ TH8RS
Takuma Sato Playseat GT

2012-01-16003132.jpg

2012-01-16003152.jpg

2012-01-16003040.jpg

2011-12-18103200.jpg

The last image has my PS3 wallpaper, a pic I took from my very first WRS podium, D3 3rd place at Eiger in the 8C Competizione. It's coming downhill out of the last corner with 2 wheels in the dirt and is one of my favorites that I've taken.

I sit about 3 feet closer and more centered to the tv than I did with the wheelstand pro and on the couch. It's taken some getting used to being that close but overall much better and there are less distractions.

I will be getting the F1 rim in the next 2 weeks and hope to order a buttkicker gamer 2 when it's available again, other than that I have everything I want except triple screens but that won't happen until we buy a house and I can create my man cave. I can dream though.

Cool beans! It will be interesting to see what you come up with for your pedals, Plato.
And I want to see what that buttkicker will look like, mcfizzle!

Very nice setups Plato and Mcfizzle.

I've been hearing rumors that a high end wheel can improve lap times. Is this true, and if so why? I've owned my dfgt for about three years and the bushings in the wheel seem to be getting a bit worn but overall it seems to work well. I don't think it's effecting performance but may consider a new getting a new wheel sometime this year. Don't plan on spending tons of money but maybe a g27 would be nice. Is there a noticeable difference in performance between that and a dfgt? Any input is appreciated.

Very nice setups Plato and Mcfizzle.

I've been hearing rumors that a high end wheel can improve lap times. Is this true, and if so why? I've owned my dfgt for about three years and the bushings in the wheel seem to be getting a bit worn but overall it seems to work well. I don't think it's effecting performance but may consider a new getting a new wheel sometime this year. Don't plan on spending tons of money but maybe a g27 would be nice. Is there a noticeable difference in performance between that and a dfgt? Any input is appreciated.

Trust me, this doesn't happen.
A wheel is faster than a pad but having a CSR-E or DFP doesn't really make a difference to your lap times.

Nice setups Plato and Mcfizzle. 👍

I disagree with Energizer based on my experience but at the same time a lot of it is down to driver skill and ability so it's a two fold answer.

It's not really the wheel that makes you faster, but the brakes. The brake pedal on the DFP/DFGT is so bad that it can make it harder to get a good feel for how much pressure you are applying. You just don't get any feel for what you are doing. Get a better pedal with more resistance and you can more consistantly apply the amount you want, on every corner. If you can get progressive resistance than even better. So, to give an example, I ran the 24 hours of Le Mans this past August, I started the first 18 hours with a DFP and around 18 I received a G27. Within 15 minutes of using it I beat my previous best lap by around 2 seconds and with no draft. By the end of the race it was 5 seconds. Sure, some of it was learning the track and adapting, but a lot was the brakes. I guess I needed that improved feedback from the pedal to get the most out of my ability. Either way, since getting the wheel my performance in the WRS has improved. Have my times improved since getting the T500 over the G27? I don't know, maybe a little, but not a huge leap like getting the G27, but my enjoyment while playing has gone up. I love the larger rim, the FFB, and I'm getting used to the static paddles.

Now, having said that, some of the fastest GT5 drivers in the world use DFGT. Those people are probably fast no matter what you give them, they will probably get the most out of whatever is in front of them. They may not see any improvement from one wheel to the other because they are already at the top of their game. At the same time, I'm willing to bet if you gave them a couple hours with a CSRE w/ CSP, G27, T500 etc. they would never go back to the DFGT. It's a nice wheel for sure, especially at the price, but the pedals hold it back and there is higher quality stuff out there.

So if you are looking to get a new wheel, I would examine what's out there, start checking out the sim racing hardware forum here on GTPlanet, watch reviews on insidesimracing and wherever else. Read WRSers signatures, PM them about their wheels. Most are very willing to help and I'm sure others that have gone from DFGT to different wheels will jump in and give you an opinion. Figure out what your complaints with the DFGT are, see if other wheels address those, and fall within your budget. I have my recommendations based on budget but I've never used Fanatec products so I can't answer directly for those but always hear very good things.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I guess what it comes down to is both energizer and I are right.:sly: He may find that the wheel makes no difference, I found a huge difference in lap times and enjoyment. I hope it helps.👍

Last edited:
Back