GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,720 comments
MSZ
That's the best R34 1:18 ever, I really love mine.

Speaking of R34...

46520439_1668042039968367_7974774247329366016_n.jpg
Side windows look totally wrong like the Greenlight version :crazy:

MSZ
That's the best R34 1:18 ever, I really love mine.

The HPI casting is very sharp and meticulous in detail. There are what seems to look like inconsistencies. The cast is not without its surface imperfections (maybe it's just a worn casting, I don't know), and one or two tail lights I noticed are either not perfectly round or ever-so-slightly slanted.

Same point about the tail lights goes to R33s. I noticed based on the dotted patterns that some of the lights were installed crooked :(

GT Spirits don't have any visible weights in them, just REALLY thick castings inside. At least I never forget weights in the several I took apart anyway...

I see. Spark/TSMs I think are white plaster in the center based on all the white stuff that pours out every time you move the model.

MSZ
It's not anywhere as good as the Ignition Model version, but it costs like 60% less so I would take it.

Bayside Blue, Omori and (maybe) Chameleon purple are some of the highlights of R34s in the market.

Voted! And one of these days I will try to enter. I collect models and I love photography so it seems obvious. Need to quit being lazy that's why.
Before i really started i was also lurking around an considering competing. But just like so many things you just got to do it. Have to say i really enjoy messing about with these competition. Everytime i've entered so far i've learned something i can use on real life car photography aswell. Any how its just fun. Hope to see you around soon!

If I ever wanted a Ferrari in my all Porsche collection, this is the one :drool: I probably don't want to know what it costs?

Around $500 for a 1:43? I would love to have a 1:18 from them someday when I win a lottery.

Does anybody here collect Rite Aid pharmacy diecast? Here's one of mine, a Lotus Elan. Theres definitely higher end and more detailed options out there but these cars aren't too bad for $10. Plus they're easily available with how many Rite Aid locations there are near me. I'm satisfied.

20181204_205407.jpg 20181204_205357.jpg 20181204_205319.jpg

Does anybody here collect Rite Aid pharmacy diecast? Here's one of mine, a Lotus Elan. Theres definitely higher end and more detailed options out there but these cars aren't too bad for $10. Plus they're easily available with how many Rite Aid locations there are near me. I'm satisfied.

View attachment 784423 View attachment 784424 View attachment 784425

I quite liked grabbing some Welly and Maisto models from Rite Aids. Unfortunately the selection is a gamble and the condition, even more so. Most of the Rite Aids I come across would have them with missing mirrors, scratches, and loose doors. I used to enjoy going on Rite Aid hunts, but lately, I've been disappointed by how little they update. Plus quite a few Rite Aid stores have closed recently in my state.

I quite liked grabbing some Welly and Maisto models from Rite Aids. Unfortunately the selection is a gamble and the condition, even more so. Most of the Rite Aids I come across would have them with missing mirrors, scratches, and loose doors. I used to enjoy going on Rite Aid hunts, but lately, I've been disappointed by how little they update. Plus quite a few Rite Aid stores have closed recently in my state.
Selection and condition was always a hit or miss deal for me as well. I have about 20 Rite Aid cars and I'd probably have at least twice that if not for some sort of defect with a car. Both of my closest stores have kept a nice selection, just not of stuff I'm interested in or don't already have. I've found that it's the 1:43s that aren't updated, I was even told by an employee that they were losing money on them so they stopped ordering new cars.

I never knew about Rite Aid models, but as a kid it was fun hunting for Maisto models at Sam's Club. Every time I went with my parents the models would either be there or not but when they were they could be real good ones. My first 2 ever were a 1/18 Jaguar XJ220 and Mclaren F1 when I was maybe around 10 years old.

The cars were always super cheap too, somehow. Around $10 if I recall. They eventually stopped having them and the store closed not even a year ago, sadly. I can't think of a single physical location that sells scale models anymore in my area. Not even the nearby hobby store sells them, only build kits.

I never knew about Rite Aid models, but as a kid it was fun hunting for Maisto models at Sam's Club. Every time I went with my parents the models would either be there or not but when they were they could be real good ones. My first 2 ever were a 1/18 Jaguar XJ220 and Mclaren F1 when I was maybe around 10 years old.

The cars were always super cheap too, somehow. Around $10 if I recall. They eventually stopped having them and the store closed not even a year ago, sadly. I can't think of a single physical location that sells scale models anymore in my area. Not even the nearby hobby store sells them, only build kits.

It is ironic that you mentioned Maisto diecast model cars being sold at Sam's Club because I see them all the time at the Sam's Club I currently shop at. I can't remember how much they cost but they are very tempting. Sadly I don't have the space for more.

Maisto cars were my 2nd favorite behind hot wheels growing up. Sometimes I still buy them if I see something I think is worth it.

GT Spirit just announced they're closing down their online store, meaning you can no longer buy directly from them. They are only selling to vendors now.

If you had a premium membership, then gg.

GT Spirit just announced they're closing down their online store, meaning you can no longer buy directly from them. They are only selling to vendors now.

If you had a premium membership, then gg.

One of the upcoming releases is Ferrari 456. I want one.

Picked up two 1/18 scale Porsche 911 2.7 Carrera RS models. Left is a 2.7 RS Lightweight from Minichamps and right is a 2.7 RS Touring from Norev. The Norev is sealed, sadly, but not a bad model for about $60 USD and I really like the olive green decals. Though, it has a few errors such as missing Porsche crest on the wheels and the decals on the rear are off. The "Carrera RS" sticker is too high on the rear and the "Porsche" sticker is a bit too narrow and curved.
45844191572_df5fff21a8_b.jpg

45893863661_671cb31731_b.jpg

I got the Minichamps despite already owning an Autoart version of the Lightweight because I think it is overall the most accurate version of the car in 1/18, especially the wheels. I will take more comparison pictures soon.
45844190912_9507bcf2d8_b.jpg

And that rounds out my RS collection. 2.7 Touring, 2.7 Lightweight and 2.8 RSR.
45844189832_217a0c6b19_b.jpg

I have two 1/18s from Norev (BMW M1 and Mercedes SLS) and they both have opening parts, and I still maintain that they are great value for money. Though ever since they've followed other makers with the all sealed route they've gone swiftly downhill. If they don't have opening parts, I hardly see the point, might as well save space and get a 1/43. Heck, the fact that my 1/43 GT40 has an opening engine cover, and most reasonably priced 1/18s are fully sealed is a bit absurd. Though from memory, isn't that because everyone's moving to resin?

I have two 1/18s from Norev (BMW M1 and Mercedes SLS) and they both have opening parts, and I still maintain that they are great value for money. Though ever since they've followed other makers with the all sealed route they've gone swiftly downhill. If they don't have opening parts, I hardly see the point, might as well save space and get a 1/43. Heck, the fact that my 1/43 GT40 has an opening engine cover, and most reasonably priced 1/18s are fully sealed is a bit absurd. Though from memory, isn't that because everyone's moving to resin?
It does seem like resin and sealed models are becoming more and more popular among the model companies. I don't think they are bad if the price is right, for the most part. Fortunately there are some good companies out there doing opening diecast still, like Autoart and Minichamps for example (though there are some sealed versions of Minichamps cars) and I believe Norev hasn't moved entirely into sealed cars just yet.

It's a bit of a dilemma, depending on what type of collector you are. There may never be an opening diecast version of a car you want, leaving sealed cars as the only option. I'm in that boat... where I have many sealed models simply because I wanted the car and it doesn't exist in any other form. My most expensive model is a sealed model and my cheapest is a diecast, go figure. :lol:

I suppose it is what it is and maybe if people put their money into diecast and no resin then companies will move back to opening cars. I just wouldn't hold your breath, the sealed cars still very much have a collector base.

though there are some sealed versions of Minichamps cars)

UGH THE WORST! :lol: ABS plastic Minichamps is the saddest purchase in my collection (I've got 3 of them).

Having diecasts is always a great feeling if you like touching them; fondling their hinges and oogling at their insides.

I just like looking perfect detailing. Resins are perfect for this. So long as you don't pick one up nor take it apart, the resin model will feel like a million bucks. Why do I say this? I wheelswapped 2 Ignition resin models recently, and decidedly photographed the process since I was curious to know what the insides of a $300 (Canadian) model are like (so you don't have to!).

This is the recent R33 GT-R.

P_20181205_203650_vHDR_On.jpg

The seats are attached to the MDF base. How are the seats though?

P_20181205_203656_vHDR_On_1.jpg

P_20181205_203708_vHDR_On_1.jpg

P_20181205_203726_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Piping is part of the base's one-piece thing. The muffler is an separate piece that is glued into place. The assembly of this may differ with other IG models though.

P_20181205_203741_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Axle on the front, no engine (obviously). The silver piece in front is there so that you have an intercooler on the front-side. Notice that its a separate piece? This make it look much more realistic when you notice that gap between the intercooler and the mesh.

P_20181205_203752_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Individually mounted pieces on the back, not sure if I like that. It's good for getting negative camber, and adjusting ride height, but it's also subject to inconsistency.

I'm unsure what those silver screws are for at this time, I'd guess it's to fasten the MDF insides to the resin shell.

P_20181205_204035_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Front axle is installed with a dab of rubber cement. That is so the wheels don't turn. The slot the hubs fit into is already snug, so all you have to do is pull.

P_20181205_204227_vHDR_On.jpg

I thought it was a nice touch that IG uses cardstock to conceal visibility of the insides when viewing the wheels from the outside. Looks like hand-made and less like mass-produced products the more I disassemble this thing.

After swapping the wheels on the white and purple R33, this is what I have now:

P_20181205_211524_vHDR_On_1.jpg

P_20181205_211530_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Last edited:
I just like looking perfect detailing. Resins are perfect for this. So long as you don't pick one up nor take it apart, the resin model will feel like a million bucks.

This. No diecast will ever look half as good as my BBR FXXK, Looksmart 488 GT3 and MakeUp RB GT-R.

Better check that post again. You may be in for a surprise.

I have took apart many of my resin models before. My points still stand. Not even a CMC model will look as good as my FXXK.

Last edited:
front2.jpg

overview.jpg

rear.jpg

front%2Bcorner.JPG

interior.jpg

back%2Bwindow.jpg

front1.jpg

profile.jpg

Spoiler alert: I turned up the blues as this purple, like the purple RWB 993 by GT Spirit, the purple leans more towards red than blue.

Aside from that, boo on IG to not use the 5-spoke Nismo wheels.

I've been toying with picking up the red release (as a red R33 with painted lip on gold BBS's is somewhat of a dream combo of mine), however in all the shots I've seen, it looks like the mould has some issues as the shape of the headlights look different compared to the white and purple releases. Do IG have a habit of modifying moulds after an initial release?

Also for everyone saying they're great quality, in the images I've seen there seems to be little issues like wonky badges, light lenses not sat right and excess glue marks or white resin showing through.

If they were closer to OTTO's pricing (£70-£100) I'd take a punt but at £200-£250, I'd hate to spend that sort of money to be disappointed.

Why couldn't IG have used 5-spokes instead of 6-spokes for this Skyline from the get-go:

10565376a.jpg

Bronze Nismo wheels :drool:
100pcs.

10565375a.jpg

100pcs.

10579405a.jpg

150 pcs.

Kind of hard to see why they'd produce more of what is officially labeled as "limited edition".... Either way, the red one is coming in at about 277USD. They are gouging hard on this.

Back