GTPlanet vs. Mariah Carey [2019]

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 350 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard Last Christmas in the PA at school yesterday. It was actually an improvement on the usual k-pop crap they play.

Oh crap, my idea actually got accepted annnnd, I missed out :banghead:

Oh well, guess I'll just watch everyone else go down in flames now that they have something waaay worse to fear while I can happily be immortal :lol:

seinfeld i'm out.gif

Curse you @Jordan. Well played. :lol:

Thankyou this thread for confirming that I should not press that very deliberately attractive button up there.

Sly, sly, but not today.

Oh crap, my idea actually got accepted annnnd, I missed out :banghead:
Well... kinda...

December 28th 2018:

Heard all the classics (Including a certain overplayed Mariah Carey song, which I feel at this point should have a similar game given how its pretty much I would argue on a much higher level of expected playlist overkill).
December 12th 2018:
Well, after a decade, and thanks to a Tweet from Romesh Ranganathan, it's gone mainstream. At least two national radio stations are now playing it, and there's an "official Whamageddon" website. Wikipedia reckons it first appeared online in 2012 (no) - and in fact, it's so mainstream that there's a Wikipedia page for it.

Since George Michael's died as well, I propose we move to a new song from 2019.

Specifically, I propose "All I Want for Christmas is You", by Mariah Carey - because it has an extremely distinct intro sequence, and also because we can call it the Apocareypse.
But I wasn't all that pioneering either... December 10, 2016:
Though can I say the real Hard Mode would be not hearing that damn Mariah Carey song even once during Christmas. It might as well be impossible unless you bar yourself up in your home for winter.
January 8th, 2013:
Is it going to be the same track next time? I ask as too many people close to me know about it and just Wham! me the first chance they get.
I reckon it should be Mariah Carey.
December 5th, 2011:
DK
I know it's a bit early, but how about "GTP vs. Mariah Carey" for 2012? :lol:
November 5th, 2011:
Mariah Carey - All I want for christmas is you

That should be added to this competition.
It seems we've all wanted Mariah Carey for Christmas for a while :lol:

It seems we've all wanted Mariah Carey for Christmas for a while :lol:

Well, my lungs have truly gone in orbit after reading that. Guess it wasn't just me that felt like Wham wasn't the real threat we should be watching for.

Would be great if @Jordan could see who pressed the button, to expose all the liars.
I pressed the button, but my PC's been having a weird issue where display driver stops working and it stops playing audio through the monitor until I reselect the monitor as the output device. Also when I was changing it to illuminate/deluminate I saw the audio file :lol:

I pressed the button but my sound was off due to having just come home from church, so I thought "oh, that's a pretty cool new feature!" Then proceeded to read all the status updates...

Typically I get whammed and that's the end of it, but this year I've had TWO near misses, maybe it's finally my year! :eek:

I was curious if the lights flashed when you pressed the button, before I pressed it I made sure my audio was off.
Well played @Jordan.
Lucky I read all the posts before I tried it.

@Daniel I'm out, the kids are getting a photo with Santa and the song starting playing :banghead: and wouldn't know it I'm being whammed right now, right after I got Carey'd. :banghead:
And just after dodging the 'turn lights on' button
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Just thought I'd pop in and check out the discussion after seeing profile posts.

Would be great if @Jordan could see who pressed the button, to expose all the liars.
I was never in (it'd be a waste as I've heard the song twice just in the elevator at work), but I've yet to hear it on GTP despite clicking the button a whole bunch of times because the lights don't stay on throughout navigation.

I'm out @Daniel. Took my dad to the store and a local county representative just happened to be holding a meet and greet there... Of course he was playing music and before I could run by him to get in the store, she came on...
Oh and I like green things, buttons and flashing lights lol.

I'm gonna sign up. I have a near 100% chance of winning since I live in India and barely go out. Only way I get Carey’d is by going clothes shopping.

Edit: Gonna have to eat my words here. I pressed the light button without even knowing what song it was. Then I read the posts in this thread.
@Daniel

Last edited:
@Daniel, I'm out too. Watching a random video when someone decides to play music in the background. And you know it when you hear it. :mad:

I got whammed yesterday at the theater before the ads started playing in the room i was sitting in, thank god we retired Last Christmas :lol:

Anyone who clicks that button with their volume on deserves all they get. I've just clicked it at least twice without any ear poison.

I've had 3
censored.gif
s so far this year. One on a boat, one on a coach and one in a house (not my own). I normally seem to be hit by George's insipid dross just once a year so I'm on a bad run at the moment.

As pleased as I am to be avoiding Mariah, it can't be worse than
censored.gif

Here's some Mariah.

The gym is playing Christmas music.

Guess I'll just have to stay away for the next month. Better make it two, just to be safe.

And I did hit the Jordan button but my headphones weren't in so I dodged that one. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back