GTPlanet vs. Wham! Episode IV: No More Hope

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 1,044 comments
A thorough reading of the OP will help, ittybitty. Browse last year's thread and you'll get the whole flavour of it.
:) đź‘Ť

Good luck staying alive. Even the vets are going down like flies drunk on . .
At first I was thinking, this will be pretty easy, I'll just not listen to the radio. But then I thought about it some more... :scared:

The whammed log needs updating.
I've just thought that @Justin could easily Wham! so many of us, by linking the Pick Form in his Fantasy Seasons to the autoplaying video. Just warning you all.

The whammed log needs updating.
Since you seem so proud of your... achievement, perhaps I should follow niky and Smallhorses lead and smack you with an infraction. Re-read the first post, specifically the aforementioned mods quotes. :rolleyes:

Personally, I say anyone Whammed by this is still in, but that's just me.
I've just thought that @Justin could easily Wham! so many of us, by linking the Pick Form in his Fantasy Seasons to the autoplaying video. Just warning you all.
Except that he would be violating said rules, too.

It's really not that hard to understand, is it?

TB
Since you seem so proud of your... achievement, perhaps I should follow niky and Smallhorses lead and smack you with an infraction. Re-read the first post, specifically the aforementioned mods quotes. :rolleyes:

Except that he would be violating said rules, too.

It's really not that hard to understand, is it?
OK, I'll stop mentioning this then.

Peter and Bopop should've known to keep the volume down if they're playing the game. Shame. Two of our best players already down. RIP, guys. Enjoy your now wham-filled holidays. :(

*makes pious warding-off-evil gestures.

Jimlaaaaaaaad!!!! :mad: You bastard. We'll get you for this. I'm going to put a bounty on your head - maybe premium for whoever gets you first.

Well I guess there's no more pressure.
I was listening to the MX Unleashed soundtrack, too awesome to keep the volume down.:lol:

I like this idea of a bounty. *Scheme* *Scheme*

TB

We can ask @Bopop4 and @PeterJB. If you guys want back in, I'll take your names off the WUL. Unless you're fine with staying Whammed for the rest of the year :P.

We can ask @Bopop4 and @PeterJB. If you guys want back in, I'll take your names off the WUL. Unless you're fine with staying Whammed for the rest of the year :P.

Well I did hear the first half second of the song, but it's up to you and the mods.
Although I would like to be back in yes. ^_^

I probably should have said this before I proceeded to do it, but read it before you disagree with me.

We are told in the tips to not accept calls or stuff from other users as we may try to get them. Reading through last years log, people were getting each other through PMs and even linking to a video that used it as background music. These are similar to what I did. Rickrolling is just annoying, but this is a game, which people can play to either stay in or get others. It says we are evil in the tips. Also, Bopop and Peter didn't follow the holy rule of turning off the sound before clicking, or checking where the link takes you before clicking. I didn't make it autoplay (It even had an unskippable 30 second advert when I loaded up the page, muted of course).
You say don't trust anyone, so why not lift this rule to bring more tactics into the game.

Finished ranting. Feel free to disagree with what I said.

PMs are one thing, Jimlaad - but using legitimate posts in threads as bait is another. That would pollute all the forums no end and people would just stop clicking on any link. However taking them off site and whamming them, or via PMs (which they can refrain from opening,) is what I would find legitimate.

Ultimately, I would leave this in the hands of TB - that's one of the reasons I like him being around; he's had enough experience at sorting stuff like this out, and we should respect his decision.

Personally, I would hate to see people go down this early.

PMs are one thing, Jimlaad - but using legitimate posts in threads as bait is another. That would pollute all the forums no end and people would just stop clicking on any link. However taking them off site and whamming them, or via PMs (which they can refrain from opening,) is what I would find legitimate.
Couldn't have said It better myself and precisely why I said they should still be in. đź‘Ť

So that settles it: Peter and Bopop are back in!
Reading through last years log, people were getting each other through PMs and even linking to a video that used it as background music. These are similar to what I did. Rickrolling is just annoying, but this is a game, which people can play to either stay in or get others.
@GT-R's video wasn't misleading. It was video of himself running a few laps on Gran Turismo, which is what he said it was. It just so happened to have Last Christmas as some lovely background music. It was also posted through VMs and PMs which aren't part of the main forum.

As much as I'd like to allow misleading links in the forums, the AUP still applies to everyone.

Yay! I've gone red like Daniel! And Yay! Peter and Bopop are back. You are no more in a State of Shrodinger's Wham - we opened the box in the right way and you are alive.

So okay, that settles it, let's move on and forgive Jimlaad as merely playing the Devil's Advocate; after all everybody learned something from this.

@GT-R's video wasn't misleading. It was video of himself running a few laps on Gran Turismo, which is what he said it was. It just so happened to have Last Christmas as some lovely background music. It was also posted through VMs and PMs which aren't part of the main forum.

Right. There was plenty of warning, and even so I almost got caught - GT-R did play fair - and there was a whole mystery surrounding it as to whether it was a cover or not.

I remember showing this graphic of what GT-R tried - and he did get some people that way.

As much as I'd like to allow misleading links in the forums . . . .

Oh! Yes, you would, wouldn't you? :sly:

the AUP still applies to everyone.

Oh! Yes, it does . . . all the way up to Jordan, himself - in fact he wrote them. ;)

Let's play by the rules . . . but it's no harm talking about an issue that is unclear.

To end on a more positive note . . . :D . . .take a look at another try at trying to get me last year:

CaptureKillasplot_zps7ac7761d.jpg

Killa was dreaming, if he thought I was going to be clicking on his 'lucid dream' link. Pah!.

Last edited:
TB
Couldn't have said It better myself and precisely why I said they should still be in. đź‘Ť

As much as I'd like to allow misleading links in the forums, the AUP still applies to everyone.

Many thanks for the second chance.:bowdown:

I know that there is one guy who I could Wham! quite easily, but I'm not that evil. (Plus the amount of work it would take to do it.:lol:)

I'll enter this again, made it through last year without being Whammed! I doubt I'll be as lucky this year, it'll probably be playing in the shopping center when I pick up my GT6 pre-order :P

What part of Florida? :sly:
Key West for two weeks straight. I accidentally left out "of December" in my post.

So the way I figure it, a place like the Keys is too full of people pretending it's still summer to have much Christmas music. Or at least traditional Christmas music. Well, hopefully, anyway. I still need to make it through to the 20th of December, so it's not gonna be an easy win, but the last couple weeks of the year are usually where I get Whammed.

Rules seem simple, hear Last Christmas after signing up & you're out, they heard Last Christmas after they signed up, so they're out. Where's the problem? I can understand punishing the Whammer! for spamming, but why do the Whammed! get a free pass just because it was spam.

You don't punish someone because someone else broke the rules. As @photonrider said, if we let everyone post links to said song, that's all the forums would be filled with and no one would click on anything.

Taking it to the PSN, Faceplant, skype, etc. is still perfectly legal. Just not here.

Count me in. Being nomadic with no radio, tv or computer should help me beat it this year!

Shaun is back! :cheers:

Watch that bacon and eggs, old chap. You know what happened last year.

So far, so good . . .

On one of the trips out today, I started the car, then was about to push the button for the radio, when I kept my finger there in mid-air for a moment pondering: 'Should I, or shouldn't I?'
My youngest son riding shotgun watches me as I pause time like this and asks: "What? Something wrong?"
"Uh, no. . ." I replied, 'Just wondering if I would get whammed."
"What?!"
"Hold on, " I said, and put the radio on. It was some mundane chick singing some mundane song. Good. In one ear and out the other. Not the earworm that 'Last Christmas' is.
"It's the 'Wham' game we play at GTPlanet," I explained. "You know the one where we refuse to listen to 'Last Christmas' - that song by George Michael. You know . . ."
"Oh! Yeeaaa . . . that one. You guys play that every year?"
"Religiously," I say. "It's a ritual."
"Hmmmm." He nods and looks off into the distance.
I didn't like the 'Hm"
"Whaddya mean 'Hrrmmm?' I snarl.
"Nothing," he says. "Nothing." He frowns at me. "What?"

Trust. No. One.
The paranoids are coming.

Precisely why I'm not mentioning it to my wife again and I'm certainly not telling the guys I work with!

Back