GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Poverty
:rolleyes:

I just cant stand cheaters, and dirty players, and after seeing that video of materrazi I have to say I would like to do aot more to him than headbutt to the chest. But maybe its because im from the UK. Most other countries seem to not care that theyre team is nothing better than back stabbing cheats 👍

Ya I would have to agree with you, I'm from Ireland and I enjoy open, attacking, honest, Western style football. I can't stand the boring, defensive, play-acting Mediterranean style. I'm all for video refereeing if it takes the 'Mystery' out of football. That whole FIFA/Mediterranean thing reminds me of the Roman Empire/Catholic Church. It all smacks of decadence and corruption. 👎

Lets keep it civil guys.

Materazzi is an old style Italian centre back. (The ball can pass him, the man can pass him, but they're not both passing at the same time...) You know where you are with him. You know he's going to clatter you at some point. Look at that video that was posted here. How many times did he "assault" Inzaghi? What Materazzi was doing to Inzaghi was worse than what he did/said to Zidane. Yet did Inzaghi retaliate? No. Football is a mans game. If you can't take a wee bit of taunting, you shouldn't be playing it.

Poverty
who are you to tell me what to do. Take your head out your arse. You probably know half as much as me about football. 👍

Seriously, just get over youself.

Poverty
another great post by the sperm

Well, you're just spewing useful posts today, aren't you?

You don't know Div is back, so don't try and find faults in what you don't know.

Edit: Just noticed above post, sorry.

DQuaN
There were some great ones in the Guardian this morning.

"Zidane, I have some steak lodged in my throat, help me!"

"You cannot win Zidane. If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
Zidane just re-invented the Heimlich!

I heard on the news this morning that there was a fair verbal war between Zidane and Materazzi (?) (sorry, I can't spell Italian names!). The BBC brought in an Italian lip reader and apparently, the defender said something along the lines of "I wish an ugly death to you and your family" & "Go **** yourself". This followed a request for Zidane to calm down. What sparked the 'critical mass'? Zidane's mother was taken to hospital seriously ill before the match. You wonder why it wasn't more than 'une headbutte', considering the nature of the his personal situation:tdown: (coup de tête is the actual expression:sly:)

Not 100% confirmed at this point, but:

Est-ce qu'intelligent? Demi-intelligent?...:rolleyes:... Non, pas un sou...

Reference: Materrazi denies terrorist insult (do you think he'd admit to saying it?) - Worth a read.

FormulaGT

Hmmm, I'd trust an Italian lip reader as far I can could throw one... the fact remains, it doesn't matter what he said, Zidane shouldn't have reacted like that (obviously!) On Materazzi's behalf, it was pure Gamesmanship, something that sadly was a hallmark of this World Cup... but as we've seen many many times before, retaliation is pointless... indeed, for any pro footballer to react so badly seems slightly ironic, since you could bet your mortgage that every pro player has done something to try to get a rise out of an opponent at some stage or other... Zidane just fell for it hook, line and sinker...

No, no, I agree with you completely. He shouldn't have done it, ever.

I just thought I'd point out the possible 'motivation'/'stimulation' for his response.

👍

FormulaGT

Touring Mars
Hmmm, I'd trust an Italian lip reader as far I can could throw one... the fact remains, it doesn't matter what he said, Zidane shouldn't have reacted like that (obviously!) On Materazzi's behalf, it was pure Gamesmanship, something that sadly was a hallmark of this World Cup... but as we've seen many many times before, retaliation is pointless... indeed, for any pro footballer to react so badly seems slightly ironic, since you could bet your mortgage that every pro player has done something to try to get a rise out of an opponent at some stage or other... Zidane just fell for it hook, line and sinker...
Yeah, I agree it's part of football, but it depends on what you say. Last year during the Libertadores Cup, in a match between São Paulo and some Argentinian team, one of the Argentinians players called Graffite (São Paulo's player at the time) a monkey (he's black). That resulted in a couple of days in jail for the Argentinian before he could go back to his country.

Zidane's action was unjustified, but if Materazzo said something racist he should pay for it.

you know, there is trash talking, and then theres deep down spiteful comments.

In the video you can see they were exchanging insults, and as zidane was running off the defender said something very serious, and Zidane paused for a second, thought Im not having that, and lashed out. Clearly Zidane weighed up his situation, knowing that the game would go to penalties, plus this being the last pro game he would play, would mean he was basically immune from FIFA, so he decided to take action.

In sports theres a line between trash talking, and not getting your head kicked in, and if you think something would get you beat up in the street, then you should expect no different in a game of sport. And im not talkin about silly little trash talking.

FatAssBR
Zidane's action was unjustified, but if Materazzo said something racist he should pay for it.
Yes, I suppose he should - but until they put wires on the players, they'll never be able to prove it... whereas Zidane's foul play was ever-so-slightly more, erm, 'visual'... I bet FIFA are fuming, after all their schtick about fair play and anti-racism etc. - this WC has seen some of the most blatant cheating, and more (justified) bookings and red-cards than ever... OK, one or two refs were a tad card-happy, but overall I'd say that most bookings were justified... unfortunately, modern day footballers are more aggressive and under more pressure to perform than ever - add into the mix that footballers are not typically known for their diplomatic skills, this certainly won't be the last time we see this sort of incident... maybe a simple (but sincere) apology from Materazzi would help?

Poverty
In the video you can see they were exchanging insults, and as zidane was running off the defender said something very serious, and Zidane paused for a second, thought Im not having that, and lashed out. Clearly Zidane weighed up his situation, knowing that the game would go to penalties, plus this being the last pro game he would play, would mean he was basically immune from FIFA, so he decided to take action..
He could, however, still potentially face a criminal charge for assault for doing that, immunity from FIFA or not...

If the german police think its just, yes. But I dont think they could care less. Another reason for Zidane to take action in his own hands could be because if materrazi did say something racist etc they have a pretty dismal disciplinary record, and obviously thought his way would be better. Thousand pound fines are nothing to footballers.

Yeah, but the guy is the German head of the World Cup, not Serie A.

Unless you mean to say that the WC was fixed too...

Omnis
Yeah, but the guy is the German head of the World Cup, not Serie A.

Unless you mean to say that the WC was fixed too...

Well there were rumours floating about that SA were ment to get to host the 2006 championship but the germans paid theyre way in for it.

Poverty
In the video you can see they were exchanging insults, and as zidane was running off the defender said something very serious, and Zidane paused for a second, thought Im not having that, and lashed out.
No you can't.

Materazzi could have been complimenting ZZs body, and perhaps ZZ isn't too comfortable with that. It could have been something that began early on in the game as nothing and slowly built up to become highly annoying.

Clearly Zidane weighed up his situation, knowing that the game would go to penalties, plus this being the last pro game he would play, would mean he was basically immune from FIFA, so he decided to take action.
I really doubt ZZ though of all that if he was that pissed off. He was most likely wondering whether he wanted to deny Materazzi the chance of having children in future.

DQuaN
SA are hosting the 2010 World Cup.

I know but they someone was telling me that they were meant to get the 2006 cup, but got knocked back a cup. I dont know how exactly but thats what I was told.

No you can't.

Materazzi could have been complimenting ZZs body, and perhaps ZZ isn't too comfortable with that. It could have been something that began early on in the game as nothing and slowly built up to become highly annoying.

I dont know about you but, I dont think that would wind anybody up other than some insecure kid, and you say that you cant tell they were having a exchange of words, yet then you go on with a example of materazzi attempting to bully ZZ.

Omnis

attachment.php

Methinks it may be time to start yee old premiership thread again.

Well there were rumours floating about that SA were ment to get to host the 2006 championship but the germans paid theyre way in for it.

No, the only thing the german government did, was to make the event completely tax free for the FIFA.

The host nation is chosen by the FIFA council. Each nation has one vote, no matter how big a national football federation is. Germany got the most votes and did not bribe anyone.

BTW, I don´t think SA was ready for such a big event this year. I even have doubs for 2010.

Poverty
I dont know about you but, I dont think that would wind anybody up other than some insecure kid, and you say that you cant tell they were having a exchange of words, yet then you go on with a example of materazzi attempting to bully ZZ.
No you implied he insulted him. I'm saying perhaps he merely annoyed him. An dtrust me, an annoyance for over 90 mins is a big annoyance.

The difference is, if Materazzi insulted Zidane, Fifa or even the police will look more lightly on ZZ as it is provoked assault. I highly doubt they'd be the same about an annoyance.

DeLoreanBrown
He's allowed wear a metal bracelet or goldwatch on the pitch in italian (ShudsStowing) derbies. HERE.

Is this creeping pro rollerball?

Having watched that twice now, do you think that maybe this match was fixed, because materrazi got away with way too much, and one would have thought he'd tone it down after the first booking.

Poverty, I'm speechless and done with you!

And if you knew twice as much as I did about football, you would know that Zidane acted when he saw the refere going the other way because I think a french player was to receive a Yellow card.

Zidane saw the opportunity to hurt Materatzzi because the refs were not looking at him.

It was planned.

Latest Posts

Back