Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cjr3559

Premium
United States
Ohio
cjr3559
Now that PD displays your ping in the beta, what's yours.

I've got NAT Type 2 wired connection. Ping is typically 25-30.

While it's usually around 40-50, here in the beta it doesn't go below 110 for some reason. Didn't really have any issues while doing the races later in the evening yesterday though.

can someone explain to me exactly what this ping means? and is it better to have a lower or higher ping? I have around 110

My ping at home doing a speed test is between 9 - 12 using a wired connection but on gtsport it hasnt been below 100 ping. Annoying. Thats maybe the reason other cars are just wobbling about as if we were doing a one or two star quality race from gt6. Hope this is sorted soon or is there anything i could do to lower my gtsport ping?

Screenshot_20170416-100349.png

P.s the pic is a wifi test i did the other day.

can someone explain to me exactly what this ping means? and is it better to have a lower or higher ping? I have around 110
Its the time taken in milliseconds for your router to send a signal to the destination then recieve it back again. Lower the better.

Last edited:
In GTS its around the 98-104 mark, still couldn't join an online race yesterday though.

Surely that PSN ID/PING/Strength bar doesn't have to be there? Gets slightly in the way of the track map and is starting to bug me.

My usual connection speeds are 10mb down and 1mb up.

No idea what my ping is usually.

Average 55 on WiFudge.
Tried a wired connection got 128 then servers went bye bye.

Lower ping(lower number) is better. Means you have a better connection to the game, means less lag for everyone. Means less likely for disconnections and signal dropouts. Lower Ping=Better online for everyone.

While it's usually around 40-50, here in the beta it doesn't go below 110 for some reason.
Its the time taken in milliseconds for your router to send a signal to the destination then recieve it back again. Lower the better.
In the terms of this game, it's the time taken in milliseconds for your device to send a signal to the game server and receive the signal back again. It essentially measures how much time it takes for any information from your machine to be received by the GT Sport server and for information to come back from the server.

The lower that is, the better - at 150mph your car moves more than 200 feet a second, so if your ping is a tenth of a second you may appear to be a car length further away to other people than it does to you...

Generally speaking, the bits that slow the signal down are your connection to your router (wireless = bad) and your router's connection to the outside world (fibre better than fibre-to-kerb, better than fibre-to-box, better than ADSL, better than dial-up) as, once out in the outside world, your signal just zips along from relay to relay at pretty much the speed of light.

The reason that your GT Sport ping is higher than your 'normal' ping is because you're pinging the GT Sport server and not some nearby server that you may find in https://www.pingtest.net - and since we don't know where GT Sport's servers are located (we can guess they're in regional PD or Sony offices, like Amsterdam, Cambridge or London for Europe) it's tough to say what you should expect that ping to be.

Last edited:
In the terms of this game, it's the time taken in milliseconds for your device to send a signal to the game server and receive the signal back again. It essentially measures how much time it takes for any information from your machine to be received by the GT Sport server and for information to come back from the server.

The lower that is, the better - at 150mph your car moves more than 200 feet a second, so if your ping is a tenth of a second you may appear to be a car length further away to other people than it does to you...

Generally speaking, the bits that slow the signal down are your connection to your router (wireless = bad) and your router's connection to the outside world (fibre better than fibre-to-kerb, better than fibre-to-box, better than ADSL, better than dial-up) as, once out in the outside world, your signal just zips along from relay to relay at pretty much the speed of light.

The reason that your GT Sport ping is higher than your 'normal' ping is because you're pinging the GT Sport server and not some nearby server that you may find in https://www.pingtest.net - and since we don't know where GT Sport's servers are located (we can guess they're in regional PD or Sony offices, like Amsterdam, Cambridge or London for Europe) it's tough to say what you should expect that ping to be.

thx! that explains why although i'm on a very high speed cable connection still my ping is not under 100...

Yep also very low ping 10-20 FttH. I wish the GTS servers were in Amsterdam near the AMS-IX.
Based on the average of 100-110 in the GTS screen I assume/expect the European GTS servers are located in London.

I usually have around 10-20 in other games, here I have 110-120... I played US beta and EU beta and it seems to be the same, that's what's weird

100mbps fiber connection

I usually have around 10-20 in other games, here I have 110-120... I played US beta and EU beta and it seems to be the same, that's what's weird

100mbps fiber connection

slower ping times can be caused by a number of reasons, but the most common is the number of hops between your home device and the server location. The more hops (read switches/routers) the slower it gets. So location EU or US doesn't really matter.

100ms is acceptable but preferably at least below <90ms. Above 150ms will often cause 'stuttering/lagging'

slower ping times can be caused by a number of reasons, but the most common is the number of hops between your home device and the server location. The more hops (read switches/routers) the slower it gets. So location EU or US doesn't really matter.

100ms is acceptable but preferably at least below <90ms. Above 150ms will often cause 'stuttering/lagging'

What's your point? I said my ping in other games is usually around 10-20.

110 in GTS, usually lower in other games. My problem though, it usually varies since the router is above me and to side with concrete walls and floors in the middle :ouch:

31-43. East Coast US. And that's with 3 or 4 devices on wi-fi. Comcast boosted FTW!

I voted for 100-200 but it's because mine goes around 190-210 at most of the time.

This is my internet btw:
2729269068.png

Please note I live in the middle east and was playing against north Americans so it's possible it might be lower if I did with Europeans, who knows?

Surprisingly even with high ping, which's much higher than what I'm used to play CSGO and TF2 with at less than 100, it still lower than when I play Rocket League online. I also find it much more better experience than what I used to get with GT5 and GT6.

Back