GTSport Beta Steering Wheel Experience?

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 226 comments
Can someone enlighten me on the Cronusmax? Can I just plug this inline, or does it need to be plugged into a controller and or a computer? Is it easy to update if necessary? Any drawbacks to it? I was going to go the gimx route but it seemed like too much putzing around. I was hoping for more of a plug and play set up. Honestly was going to get a g29 once I saved some cash but it's pretty much a g27 and if I can get by with $60 instead of $300 I'm down. Thanks for any info.

Can someone enlighten me on the Cronusmax? Can I just plug this inline, or does it need to be plugged into a controller and or a computer? Is it easy to update if necessary? Any drawbacks to it? I was going to go the gimx route but it seemed like too much putzing around. I was hoping for more of a plug and play set up. Honestly was going to get a g29 once I saved some cash but it's pretty much a g27 and if I can get by with $60 instead of $300 I'm down. Thanks for any info.
You need the Cronusmax + and a compatible USB hub. It needs to be plugged into a PC first to change some settings. You then need to plug your wheel and a DS4 into the usb hub in the correct order before plugging the cronusmax into the PS4 and then plugging the usb hub into the cronus max. It takes a little working out the first time but once you do it once it very straightforward after that.

There's also this option, which seems a bit more plug and play for a G27 user.

You need the Cronusmax + and a compatible USB hub. It needs to be plugged into a PC first to change some settings. You then need to plug your wheel and a DS4 into the usb hub in the correct order before plugging the cronusmax into the PS4 and then plugging the usb hub into the cronus max. It takes a little working out the first time but once you do it once it very straightforward after that.
What settings need to be made with a pc?

well, following up my post. Yes. update 1.04 fixed the G29 H shifter. However, the shifter feels the same (no improvement) from GT6. If anyone ever play Assetto Corsa on PS4, using G29 H shifter, they would know the different. Assetto Corsa is way much better in term of giving you the feeling of driving the car totally manual. GTS is just still sucks at it.

tnn
confirmed that Fanatec wheel works beautifully with Cronusmas except the H shifter. But I believe G29 H shifter has same issue. Hopefully GTS will fix this soon.

Having problems with H shifter in GTS. Using the G29 H Shifter. GTS often misses gear shifts and leaves you in neutral. Seems you need to completely release the throttle, clutch down, change, clutch up, wait, throttle down. Very slow to do and not at all natural. Makes heal-toe and smooth up shifting very difficult.

Having problems with H shifter in GTS. Using the G29 H Shifter. GTS often misses gear shifts and leaves you in neutral. Seems you need to completely release the throttle, clutch down, change, clutch up, wait, throttle down. Very slow to do and not at all natural. Makes heal-toe and smooth up shifting very difficult.

Unfortunately, it has been this way since GT5.

Has any one tried GTS with a Thrustmaster T150, a Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter, and/or a standard Thrustmaster T3PA.

Ibtried it with the T300 with T3pa and Th8a.
The wheel works fine.
The clutch doesn't do anything neither does the Th8a.
I didn't try plugging it in the ps4 directly.

Hopefully this will be solved before the final game is released

Its funny that you mention this about the very poor placement of the Option button on the G29. It really is amazing how bad a deisgn it is isn't it? I feel like no one at Logitech has ever actually tried using this wheel in a driving game. Its very easy to hit all 3 buttons with 1 finger, which of course I do all the time. Sounds like you do too. I have never ever wanted to hit the share button, ever. Yet I hit it ALL the time trying to find the option button. I suppose they could have put these 3 buttons closer together, but not much :(
Think that's bad? My Thrustmaster TM Leather 28 rim has Option, PS and Share all on one dial. You twist it to the right for Option, to the left (to the left, to the left) for Share, and press it in for PS. The number of times I've accidentally pressed the dial in or accidentally hit Share is too damn high. A Share button has no place on a controller at all period. And the worst part? You can't un-bind it!

But eh, it is what it is. This is a problem most people won't run into, so I guess it's fine. And it's just a small complaint versus the boatload of awesome stuff in the game so far.

Is not a glitch bro, is just that it takes time to get used to gt sport when diving with the H shifter on another game. I have the same problem everytime I change from assetto to dirt rally or to gt sport.

They fix the thing with the gears for the g29, but still we can't change from sequential to H shifter after you race on a sequential car, is litteraly impossible. That is the real glitch...

A Share button has no place on a controller at all period.
I can see not liking it on a wheel if you cant rebind it, but dude, having a screenshot button on the DS4 is awesome. I would be very upset if it didn't have one now that I'm used to it. I only have it set to save screenshots to my PS4, so I'm not 'sharing' them at all. Plus a video can be saved by holding it down for a second. It's great.

I can see not liking it on a wheel if you cant rebind it, but dude, having a screenshot button on the DS4 is awesome. I would be very upset if it didn't have one now that I'm used to it. I only have it set to save screenshots to my PS4, so I'm not 'sharing' them at all. Plus a video can be saved by holding it down for a second. It's great.
IDK, Xbox has a far more ideal solution to me. You just double-tap the Xbox button to bring up the guide, and then Y to save a screenshot or X to record. It has most of the functionality of the PS4's Share button without the potential of accidentally taking you right out of the experience and ruining whatever game you were playing. Plus, the guide gives you quick access to your friends list while keeping the game maximized.

FFB feels numb compared to AC/P CARS, & the curbs seem like canned FX. The new tracks are totally smooth & devoid of any bumps or character, so basically like all GT tracks ever.

Not impressed initially, but not surprised either.

I returned the T300 and T3PA Pro pedals to Amazon and went back to my Accuforce direct drive wheel using the GIMX software. The FFB is still inverted but that should soon be fixed in the next version of GIMX. Yes, this means that I have to play the game in 1080p on a 27 inch monitor, rather than in 4K on my 40 inch HDTV, but the overall strength of the wheel, plus the high end pedals and THR8S H shifter make it worth it.

VBR
FFB feels numb compared to AC/P CARS, & the curbs seem like canned FX. The new tracks are totally smooth & devoid of any bumps or character, so basically like all GT tracks ever.

Not impressed initially, but not surprised either.
100% agree.

Quite disappointed with the FFB.

What is the point of laser scanning the tracks if you can't then feel it? At least the tactile via my bass shaker is good so I'm getting something via that, as without it I can image its rather 'dead'.

I'm also not feeling any reduction in steering force when understeering, which is a big miss and makes judging it totally dependent on the tyre squeal.

I use a T150 and when i try to change the Rotations angle with the mode button it don't work . Normaly one flashing should be 270° up to five flashings for 1080° . It has worked perfect with Dirt Rally but with GT Sport i need to make two full rotations at a hairpin even with "270°" . I'm faster with the DS4 at the moment . Someone have a Idea ?

ps i tried to explain my problem as good as i could with my Ausrtrian English :)

Last edited:
100% agree.

What is the point of laser scanning the tracks if you can't then feel it? At least the tactile via my bass shaker is good so I'm getting something via that, as without it I can image its rather 'dead'.

I'm also not feeling any reduction in steering force when understeering, which is a big miss and makes judging it totally dependent on the tyre squeal.
I think they are using laser scanning for accurate track dimensions but missing the big advantage of scanning the track surface to capture the bumps, ripples and dips.

In The BTCC first round coverage the co-commentator pointed out in a formula support race that the brake point into paddock is the second bump you feel going into it. Those bumps are in Assetto Corso but not in GTS. A missed opportunity.

I think they are using laser scanning for accurate track dimensions but missing the big advantage of scanning the track surface to capture the bumps, ripples and dips.

In The BTCC first round coverage the co-commentator pointed out in a formula support race that the brake point into paddock is the second bump you feel going into it. Those bumps are in Assetto Corso but not in GTS. A missed opportunity.
A very big miss indeed, but one that could potentially be sorted.

I just hope it is, as it makes a huge difference with a wheel, but I fear that might not be a high priority.

100% agree.

Maybe they haven't finished programming it yet & that's why it feels numb, this is just a work in progress beta after all. I'm using a G29 by the way, you?

VBR
Maybe they haven't finished programming it yet & that's why it feels numb, this is just a work in progress beta after all. I'm using a G29 by the way, you?
T300.

I'm hoping that's the case, but given that it's PD..........

Are we sure the bump isn't there? Is it possible it's there and just not being translated into the FFB?

Played for about an hour with my wheel this time.

T300 w/599X rim
T3PA-Pro pedals

I didn't bother using my T8HA shifter, especially since none of my cars are stick shift.

I didn't have any problems with FFB. Seemed decent enough. You can go into the Driver Options before a session and turn up the FFB strength and sensitivity settings if it's feeling a bit weak to you. Then again, I dont crank my FFB strength up super high on PC, either. Overall detail isn't as good as some of the best, but it's respectable and a lot better than Project Cars out-the-box, at least.

My first run was about 12 laps with the Evora at Dragons Trail. I had a lot of problems with this. I could only get about 2.5 seconds from my controller time. Cant wrap my head around ideal braking practices, but my biggest problem was not being able to control the car going from about 30 to 45 degrees steering angle. Put me into a slide pretty much every time. And I just couldn't understand why. At least not at first...

Then I went and did about 12 laps with the Merc GT3 on Brands Hatch. I fared much better here. Unlike with a controller, I felt I could achieve some consistency and wasn't over a second off my optimal lap time. But I was still slower overall than my best controller lap. Only by about 0.6 this time, though. Everything felt *mostly* ok, but I was still struggling with the braking and steering some. And I noticed something here. During the slow hairpin after the 1st corner, holding a constant steering angle, my turning radius was growing as speed scrubbed off. Quite the opposite of what should happen.

And this is where I became fairly sure that GT Sport is using some sort of speed sensitivity setting, and it's obviously not changeable as apart from the two FFB setting and rebinding the buttons, there's no wheel settings at all. This is really messing me up and probably why I couldn't control the Evora as I cranked the wheel up to around 45 degrees. The steering ratio picked up quickly, making it too difficult to approach the limit without overstepping things. I noticed it on some other corners as well. After the hairpin on Brands Hatch I was talking about, you have that tricky downhill left-hander. Normally you kind of roll through that corner and then try and pick up the throttle as soon as you can, running a tad wide over the curbs usually being fine or even desirable. But I found that as I rolled through the corner and my speed scrubbed off, the more the car was understeering. And by the time I would usually want to get onto the power, doing so would send me *too* wide. Meaning I had to hold off getting on the throttle til I could get the car pointed better and since I was having to dial in a bit more angle as the corner went on, I had to be very careful with the throttle when I did get on it.

Anybody else notice this or have any issues with it? If I'm wrong about it, there's definitely something else funky going on with the steering. And it's really holding me back.

Is not a glitch bro, is just that it takes time to get used to gt sport when diving with the H shifter on another game. I have the same problem everytime I change from assetto to dirt rally or to gt sport.

They fix the thing with the gears for the g29, but still we can't change from sequential to H shifter after you race on a sequential car, is litteraly impossible. That is the real glitch...

Nah, I'm going to say that I should be able to drive it naturally like I do a real car. Quick shifts should be possible, and if I leave the throttle a little open because I've buggered up the timing slightly and not lifted my foot enough in time, the engine should rev and it should still go into gear. With GTS you just end up in neutral. You can reproduce by doing it slowly, keep the throttle slightly open when you shift and it drops into N.
Other games do it correctly.

So watching back a replay of a GT3 I took around the 'ring and the difference between the amount of movement going on at the front wheels and what you (don't) feel through the rim is quite clear.

Something is not right here, and before anyone asks, yes i have turned the feedback up in the wheel settings.

I was not happy with feedback on G29 when I first tried it. I then started messing around with setting wish were defaults 5:5. I setting it to 1:1 then did a lap. Adjusted to 10:1 for lap 2 and then 1:10 for lap 3. This allowed me to get a better sense of what effect each of the two settings had. I found more road feel came with lower settings on the second value eventually settling for 7:2. I can feel sliding in the corners just fine now. The default had felt really numb. it is not as detailed as AC but it is not horrible either. I prefer it to PCars. Today had my first run with a controller on the ring and it felt really good. I can feel bumps on the straights, probably more so than the wheel which I haven't had out today. I agree the feedback could be better but it is not totally trash either.

Back