GTSport Beta Steering Wheel Experience?

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 226 comments
VBR
FFB feels numb compared to AC/P CARS, & the curbs seem like canned FX. The new tracks are totally smooth & devoid of any bumps or character, so basically like all GT tracks ever.

Not impressed initially, but not surprised either.

@VBR @Scaff
Try this if you can, make the rotation on your wheel match the rotation of the wheel on the screen.
I did this and i have much stronger and no dead zone FFB.
The beta is not seting the right angle of rotation automatically, i´ve been using 720º of rotation in almost every car and it feels great.
You might need to do some setup changes.
Oh, and every time you enter a new event, it resets the angle of rotation, that´s what happens to me.
I´m using the T500 with 8stg 4sen.

Just a Question : Does any Wheel get calibrated when you open GT Sport ?

Mine does.

What do you mean? Are you asking if the wheel re-calibrates when you launch the game?

I recall that some of my past wheels did that on GT5 and GT6. G27 and T500.

Now I am using a Fanatec that emulates a G27, which in turn emulates a G29. It does not calibrate on game launch, but it doesn't calibrate when I launch GT6, either.

Oh, and every time you enter a new event, it resets the angle of rotation, that´s what happens to me.
The ovals set the rotation to 500 for my wheel in the GIMX. But it gets stuck on that, so I have to back out of the GIMX and re-launch it to get back to 900.

People are saying they have to turn the wheel a lot more on this game, I might try out your 720.

Does anyone know whether the DFGT wheel will be supported in GT sport?
Have a look at these threads, there are a few options to get your wheel working for $30-60. You need to have a PC. Some of the options require using the PC only once to do an initial setup. Others require the PC to be used every time, as an integrated part of the setup. I am using the GIMX with my Fanatec wheel, and it works great.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/how-to-use-any-steering-wheel-with-playstation-4.355047/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ogitech-driving-force-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/

EDK
The ovals set the rotation to 500 for my wheel in the GIMX. But it gets stuck on that, so I have to back out of the GIMX and re-launch it to get back to 900.
People are saying they have to turn the wheel a lot more on this game, I might try out your 720.

Actualy I have to rephrase that, it resets the angle of rotation every time you leave the track and re-enter.
That´s what it does with the T500 mind you, with other wheels may be diferent.

Last edited:
I hope the final Game comes with a Wheel setting option , it's not fun to drive a race car with crossed hands.

Dehnung-Schulter-Nacken-1000x700.jpg

And I noticed something here. During the slow hairpin after the 1st corner, holding a constant steering angle, my turning radius was growing as speed scrubbed off. Quite the opposite of what should happen.

I have noticed this too with various cars in some situations, its very annoying because it is quite the opposite of what should happen like you say. Makes driving more difficult at times for sure. Thanks for posting your wheel vs controller findings.

Actualy I have to rephrase that, it resets the angle of rotation every time you leave the track and re-enter.
That´s what it does with the T500 mind you, with other wheels may be diferent.

Thanks for posting this, I could not get it to change on my T300 and had not tried setting it after I'm already driving. Wish they didn't keep resetting it, makes it hard to change for a race.

I'm happy with my G27 and RPi-GIMX combo, off switched controller "sleeps" on end of USB cord and everything works on wheel as it was "official" PS4 wheel.
FFB is quite strong, stronger than it was on GT6, I'm running controller sensitivity 7, FFB torque 6, FFB sensitivity 10.
Steering is sharp and precise without any lag.

Not yet sure do I like or not GTS way to change driving response depending car speed, but definitely like how it changes overall turn radius (wheel turn lock) between cars, i.e. genesis N300 has full 900° degree rotation and Mitsubishi EVO Gr.3 has 540° lock, game controls wheel software lock just fine.

Mixing of center spring force effect is done quite fine, maybe slightly too much but not bothering while driving.

Throttle response curve is slightly different to GT6, final rise to 100% is more sudden on GTS and gives bit boost on end, makes powerful cars harder to handle on low speeds coz throttle peaks just bit harder than "expected" on near to travel end.
Brake pedal curve has slight change also, making easier to go on noABS, not so linear as it was on GT6.

Clutch.. Well downshifting allows simultaneous throttle, but upshifting not, cars with paddles are just with paddle shifting.

9+ for current beta, places to improve and hopefully we'll see something there.

T300RS calibrates only on system start which is good because the limit calibration bang.

I hope the final Game comes with a Wheel setting option , it's not fun to drive a race car with crossed hands.

View attachment 641874
The T300RS has its own degree change possibility. Anyway, the in-game option would be nice.

one of the ability that nicer to have is pedal deadzone calibration.
Plus steering saturation adjust, automatically by speed adjusting saturation what's used currently is bit annoying, but not totally bad, just weird for my backbone to understand on certain situations.

PD should drive few hours on Dirt Rally and copy those steering adjusts from there. (Deadzones and saturations, including clutch saturation).

So, it is completely confirmed that the DFGT will not work in this game???
If its true, it really is terrible news. Its a budget wheel but it works perfect for me, its a pain that I need to buy another one :indiff:
And I'm not really eager to buy that unofficial adapter...

So, it is completely confirmed that the DFGT will not work in this game???
If its true, it really is terrible news. Its a budget wheel but it works perfect for me, its a pain that I need to buy another one :indiff:
And I'm not really eager to buy that unofficial adapter...
It was never going to work, the wheel communication protocols on the PS4 are not the same as the ones for previous wheels and consoles.

The PS4 needs a wheel that can do a lot of the grunt work for it, rather than the console needing to do it (as is the case with the DFGT), the adapter's simply do that work rather than the wheel.

IDK, Xbox has a far more ideal solution to me. You just double-tap the Xbox button to bring up the guide, and then Y to save a screenshot or X to record. It has most of the functionality of the PS4's Share button without the potential of accidentally taking you right out of the experience and ruining whatever game you were playing. Plus, the guide gives you quick access to your friends list while keeping the game maximized.
You know you can set it where hitting the button doesn't bring up a menu and just instantly takes a screenshot, right? There's literally no downside.

Last edited:
I'm still wonder about this.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-then-eu-region.354301/page-132#post-11781577

Can anyone offer their input about this?
I'm using same software/adapter on my G27, works perfectly.
Gimx allows practically any type of wheel to emulated as i.e. G29.
Zero lag, you won't notice any difference when it's connected thru gimx or direct.
Plus my solution on gimx is not having hyper super pc doing work for emulation, just Raspberry Pi chewing bits.

You know you can set it where hitting the button doesn't bring up a menu and just instantly takes a screenshot, right? There's literally no downside.
Yeah. i switched (way back...) to: a long button press opens menu, 1 button press takes screenshot and double button press starts video/ends video! Ez as pie, it works like a charm and I love that feature!
Sorry for beeing slightly off topic. I'll be back with some topic related stupid questions later! ;)

I'm using same software/adapter on my G27, works perfectly.
Gimx allows practically any type of wheel to emulated as i.e. G29.
Zero lag, you won't notice any difference when it's connected thru gimx or direct.
Plus my solution on gimx is not having hyper super pc doing work for emulation, just Raspberry Pi chewing bits.
I'm considering getting a GIMX, owning a G27. But I was referring to direct drive steering wheels and the FFB they provide. Bumps in the road, riding over kerbs are felt in ways belt driven steering wheels aren't able to provide in the GT Sport beta and other racing sims, according to the reviewer and evidently through watching the video.

I suggest watching this video about direct drive steering wheels being used in the GT Sport beta. Something is up with how PD configure all of this stuff. I don't speak the language, so I ask anyone with knowledge about steering wheel technology to offer their input or theories and such.

I'm really asking if anyone can give more information about this. Whether the information is from personal experience or through understanding the technology which allows for every tiny bump in the road to be felt. Watching the video review, he explains it is not entirely about the sensitivity of feeling the bumps in the road.

As it appears we thought PD didn't scan the surfaces of tracks properly and wasn't as competent as other developers in providing steering wheel FFB, in particular feeling the nuances in every facet of driving a car. EVIDENTLY, these are not the cases and there's something else missing that might not solely be about the hardware - belt or direct drive steering wheels. It's why I'm curious if anyone has intellectual understanding of the technology involved in steering wheels and thorough knowledge on force feedback. Any coders in these departments? Saying something as practical and along the lines of, "direct drive steering wheels being the only answer to fully experiencing racing sims," isn't a decent response in explaining the intricacies of all these things, how they work or don't work.

Last edited:
There a guy in iracing using usd5k steering system ( leo bodnar ss2 ) using gimx on GT4 and quite amazed by the ffb details.

I'm still wonder about this.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-then-eu-region.354301/page-132#post-11781577

Can anyone offer their input about this?

I have a direct drive wheel, the Accuforce, and am using GIMX to make it work with GT Sport Beta. I can tell you that the direct drive wheel communicates a lot more feedback from GT Sport than the Thrustmaster T300RS wheel. I know that because I bought a T300 specifically for GT Sport but it did not work for me. It was too much of a drop off from the Accuforce. The FFB was too weak and it did not communicate enough of the details. The Accuforce vibrates nicely when I go over curbs, it provides nice feedback when I go over hills, I feel weight transfer and of course, the FFB is much more powerful in general. The only issue I am having, which the developer of GIMX will soon fix, is that the FFB is inverted.

So yes, what the author of that YouTube video says is absolutely true. GT Sport with a direct drive wheel is an excellent experience.

There a guy in iracing using usd5k steering system ( leo bodnar ss2 ) using gimx on GT4 and quite amazed by the ffb details.
GT4?! Do they have footage of that? And DAMN, those motors are insanely expensive. It must be a treat using one.

I have a direct drive wheel, the Accuforce, and am using GIMX to make it work with GT Sport Beta. I can tell you that the direct drive wheel communicates a lot more feedback from GT Sport than the Thrustmaster T300RS wheel. I know that because I bought a T300 specifically for GT Sport but it did not work for me. It was too much of a drop off from the Accuforce. The FFB was too weak and it did not communicate enough of the details. The Accuforce vibrates nicely when I go over curbs, it provides nice feedback when I go over hills, I feel weight transfer and of course, the FFB is much more powerful in general. The only issue I am having, which the developer of GIMX will soon fix, is that the FFB is inverted.

So yes, what the author of that YouTube video says is absolutely true. GT Sport with a direct drive wheel is an excellent experience.
Thank you. That's great to hear. One thing: what does an inverted FFB mean?

One thing: what does an inverted FFB mean?

Its hard to explain but basically the FFB is reversed. So, the wheel tends to wonder away from center and so as I turn it there is very little force around center. If I were to let the wheel go, it would turn left or right, rather than go back to center. When the FFB is not inverted, the wheel will go back to center if I let it go.

I also use GIMX to play Forza Horizon 3 with my Accuforce on my gaming PC and I am able to overcome the inverted FFB by enabling the in-game option to invert the FFB. So, in essence, by inverting the inverted FFB, I get regular FFB that feels sublime. GT Sport, Drive club and Dirt Rally on PS4 all lack this option.

Its hard to explain but basically the FFB is reversed. So, the wheel tends to wonder away from center and so as I turn it there is very little force around center. If I were to let the wheel go, it would turn left or right, rather than go back to center. When the FFB is not inverted, the wheel will go back to center if I let it go.

I also use GIMX to play Forza Horizon 3 with my Accuforce on my gaming PC and I am able to overcome the inverted FFB by enabling the in-game option to invert the FFB. So, in essence, by inverting the inverted FFB, I get regular FFB that feels sublime. GT Sport, Drive club and Dirt Rally on PS4 all lack this option.
I see what you mean. I think that's the oscillation effect you're referring to. I can sense how much better driving in GT would feel all-around if that negative effect weren't present.

Interesting. Have you done this back to back comparison for other games and, if you did, was the gap between the FFB on the TM and Accuforce any better or worse on those games? I know at full force the TM can't measure up to the Accuforce but are as many details lost in other games by comparison?

Interesting. Have you done this back to back comparison for other games and, if you did, was the gap between the FFB on the TM and Accuforce any better or worse on those games? I know at full force the TM can't measure up to the Accuforce but are as many details lost in other games by comparison?

Yes. I have played Drive Club VR, Dirt Rally VR and GT Sport on PS4 with both the Accuforce, using GIMX, as well as the T300. Drive Club FFB with the T300 is pretty good, but like with GT Sport, the gap between the Accuforce and T300 is huge. For example, with the Accuforce, when I go over a curb, the feedback through the wheel is strong and decisive, whereas with the T300, even at max FFB, it is much more muted. Also, when I go over a bump or hill at high speed with the Accuforce, I feel it a lot more than with the T300. Dirt Rally is a bit odd, in that because of the FFB inversion, and because the FFB and physics with the VR version have been dumbed down, there is not a huge difference in FFB between the T300 and Accuforce. Once the inversion issue is fixed, however, I am sure that will no longer be the case. I also have Dirt Rally on my PC and the FFB with the Accuforce is amazing.

maybe already in another topic? could not find it here

Does anyone know if auto DoR will be supported and also matches your wheel with the wheel on screen in the final version?

Question for any G29'ers on the board: I'm really struggling with the rubbery, vague wheel response in GTS. It's not just FFB- the wheel just seems to have other ideas- it's more like driving a boat than a car. Wheel is relatively new, and works fine in other games.

Question for any G29'ers on the board: I'm really struggling with the rubbery, vague wheel response in GTS. It's not just FFB- the wheel just seems to have other ideas- it's more like driving a boat than a car. Wheel is relatively new, and works fine in other games.
Any assistance switched on? Auto steer? They are on by default. Stock settings are 5-5. I run mine at 3-8 at the moment. Feels okay but not as good as AC.

I am using the T300, but experienced a similar issue with Pcars.

Setting are 10 and 10, its in default 900 degrees. ABS off, TC off. Even though its the beta version and the its not quite all there, was still very pleasurable to drive!

Its a bit weird in the cockpit view how the drive hands actually holds the wheel!!!!

Back