GTSport Beta Steering Wheel Experience?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by Adrenaline, Mar 27, 2017.

1. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

I posted about this a while back. Speed sensitive steering is defo present. Not realistic to drive with a wheel in its current form. So many things wrong with this game.

2. Outspacer

Outspacer

Indeed. Yes, I did recall one or two posts being made in either the general or physics threads (forgive me for not hunting them out!) but still remarkably few I thought!

In my mind, them doing this just does not compute :confused:, and makes driving harder. (I also don't understand people fussing over rotation settings when you basically never have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees anyway, even in a TTS, but never mind). The DS4 on the other hand, doing basically the same speed sensitive steering, does exactly what most people want and makes it easier.

I said something a little inaccurate before, about having a linear relationship. It needn't be linear, could have say a gamma curve applied, but should not be speed sensitive.

I guess there are people still driving with wheels, presumably they've got used to it and the FFB and having pedals makes up for it. There's no way I'm going to allow myself get used to it though, it's back to the sticks for me!

3. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Totally agree with you. I'm amazed others have not spotted it.

chrisspeed281 and Outspacer like this.
  4. Outspacer

Outspacer

Maybe they have but they just don't mind it? That would still perplex me, but hey.

chrisspeed281 likes this.
  5. krishy_123

krishy_123

Thanks for confirming the button re-assignment :)

Also which exact buttons do you mean? As far as I recall the other buttons (d pad and triangle circle etc) are not pressure sensitive. They are on or off. The PS4 Dualshock 4 was meant to have dropped those buttons due to the lack of developer support.

The reason I chose to use one of the L or R buttons are because they are tactile momentary buttons. They have a simple circuit to tap into and you can tap right into the button mounts itself. Buttons like the x, square, triangle, circle and the dpad are on a resistive type of circuit where the button pressed is determined by the resistance detected by another component of the PCB. Tapping into that circuit is messy and I didn't want to spend extra time tracing the pcb to find a good location to get the circle button inputs. Generally R3 is used for side functions in racing games, so for me it seemed like an easy button to re-assign :)

6. diesel97

diesel97

I just want to give you a heads up about button re-assigning. If I remember correctly yes you can re-map but only certain combos.

Buttons on the left side of the wheel can be moved around but CANNOT be moved to the right side of the wheel, and vice versa. I hope this makes sense buttons on the left side on the left and buttons on the right side on the right.

I could be wrong though HAHA

krishy_123 likes this.
  7. gtrotary

gtrotary

Ok I wasn't aware that the dualshock 4 didn't even have pressure sensitive buttons anymore.

krishy_123 likes this.
  8. Haitauer

Haitauer

There has been a mention on physics thead i guess.. I posted it there.. I guess.. :lol:

Its very clear as if you turn and keep the wheel say 90 degrees and accelerate or slow down the steering angle indicator moves..

Outspacer likes this.
  9. TomBrady

TomBrady

The last update (1.05?) really improved FFB. I set my FFB torque at 9, FFB sensitivity at 2. I'm using a T300

The problem with the FFB sensitivity setting is it adds in way too much damper, and masks/takes away a lot of the important nuanced feedback you get from the road and the tires. FFB sensitivity needs to be very low.

OdeFinn likes this.
  10. Haitauer

Haitauer

G29 needs more damper vs t300 to feel smooth. Differense in the motor type i guess.

11. Outspacer

Outspacer

As you found, there isn't really enough space to demonstrate it so that it's blatantly obvious!

Simpler to pick two corners that both need about 90 deg turn of the wheel, but one is 2nd gear and the other 4th. Say, T1 and the first part of Metzgesfeld (IIRC that one needs 90 briefly).

12. krishy_123

krishy_123

Uh Oh! I though you would be able to have free range at re-assigning to any button like recent games. *eek* ...though usually handbrake is circle in GT games iirc so its on the same side as the R3..

So anyone able to confirm if the Handbrake can be re-assigned to the R3 button? I guess this is my main question!

13. Outspacer

Outspacer

Yes, it can :)

krishy_123 likes this.
  14. gtrotary

gtrotary

My G29 H shifter still doesnt work. :/

15. Firehuntah

Firehuntah Premium

It only works on certain cars that have a shifter in real life too and only with the stock transmission. It works on the N300 Subaru WRX STI for example.

16. Rash-182

Rash-182

Any tips for T150 guys? :) As of now the wheel feels just too heavy and stiff. I'm using default settings

17. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

Problems withh my G29, before it was the brake pedal that was braking alone , now it s the throttle that don t stay 100% even with the full gas applied on pedal (Check the variations on accel level indicator). No problems with assetto corsa or project car where everything is OK. It s specific to GTS.

18. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

If it checks out fine with other games then it must be a GTS issue, but it looks like the same effect that happens when the sensors get dirty. It happened to me a couple of times with my DFGT and cleaning them fixed up the problem. Seems like a weird thing to happen with the code though:crazy::drool::(

19. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

I have cleanead it right now opening the back panel and sprayed WD40 on all contacts after taking out the dirt with a brush. Going to test it in a few. Thanks.

EDIT: Its OK now, strange it was working with others game, perhaps because they have a calibration settings on both accel and brake pedals... at least PCars .???!!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    super_gt, Firehuntah and Johnnypenso like this.
  20. gtrotary

gtrotary

I've tried it on that subaru and some other manual cars, but the clutch and shifter won't work. The clutch and shifter work fine on PC and Drivr club though. Is there some setting I could be missing?

21. Firehuntah

Firehuntah Premium

Not really, it should just work. When pressing the clutch it should go in neutral. Or you can use the shifter without clutch as well by just moving the shifter into a gear without touching the clutch first. You're sure the transmission is stock and not the customizable transmission? It only works with stock transmission. Don't know what else could be wrong.

22. Pillo-san

Pillo-san

You mean 180 degrees? well if the car has 720, 900 or 1050 or what ever I should be able to see that on the screen too. It should be 1:1, how would it feel like if you are using VR and the virtual wheel does not moove 1:1 like your own ffb wheel. I have looked at the footage and when the players are turning 180 degrees(90 to one side) the virtual wheel dont even turn that far. That is very un immersive and gives us a hint that the game is not even trying to be more than a casual racer.

weedybroz, super_gt and Johnnypenso like this.
  23. gtrotary

gtrotary

That was the setting I was missing. Thanks!

Firehuntah likes this.
  24. Outspacer

Outspacer

No, I did mean 90 deg, as in 90 deg turn of the ffb wheel away from centre to make a variety of corners. In some sense that would correspond to 180 deg rotation, but thanks to the speed sensitivity, I'd very much hesitate to call it that.

I wasn't talking about the virtual wheel at all, but you are right - it should match the ffb wheel. I hadn't noticed it didn't because I don't play with cockpit view. The virtual wheel appears to have 180 deg rotation (+/- 90 deg turn), but seems to only use that much at slow speeds (from a quick look playing with DS4, which is obviously speed sensitive). In medium speed corners pushing the DS4 stick fully over makes the virtual wheel turn about 45 degrees, at most. So it could be that the virtual wheel isn't speed sensitive, and hence more real than the ffb wheel! :crazy:

Johnnypenso likes this.
  25. Pillo-san

Pillo-san

They could at least give us the option to disable the driver and the wheel :) I play with my monitor very close to me, so my ffb wheel is almost as if the wheel is protruding/extruding out from the cockpit itself, if I would see a wheel in the cockpit then it would be a bit strange and immersion braking in that case. But in VR it should match perfectly.

Outspacer and Johnnypenso like this.
  26. sportacus

sportacus

Man, there's definitely something wrong with GT Sport and the pedals. I've tried my T500 RS pedals with GT6 and PCARS and it works like a charm as always, but with GT Sport, something is not right with the braking pedal!

I have to press real hard for 100% brake. Not even in my real car I have to apply half the pressure. It doesn't feel natural, and it is causing me to lose a lot of time on hot laps... Is there anyone else experiencing braking problems with the Thrustmaster T500 RS?

27. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

I really hope we will have pedals and wheel calibration options in the final game.
    For my G29 brake and accel problem i had, it take 15 minutes to open the pedals , clean everything and spray WD40 on the electrics contacts. All is working very well now .

Johnnypenso and sportacus like this.
  28. WheelmanSteve

WheelmanSteve

Seems odd that my G25 never needed this level of service in 13 years of use, or that my G29 would need it after less than 6 months...

weedybroz likes this.
  29. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

I have installed my rig under the roof second floor, i was using the place to dry wet clothes , there is only tiles above and the wind blow a lot up there. Dunes upwind are sending a lot of sand and dust also. I have to clean the place almost everyday . This is the reason a lot of dirt accumulate inside the G29 pedals. It take only 15 minutes to open , clean and spray. :) Till the next time.

30. rui10

rui10

Hi, I'm new in the forum, I am a fan on GT series.
    For GT Sport i was thinking about buying a t150, but I'am worried about force feedback.
    I never use a wheel, alway dualshock, and i have no experience with this feature. i would prefere the precision of a steering wheel and pedals, but not a tiring driving experience, with the wheel very soft and easy to turn, without having to fight every single turn and have pain after one hour of race!
    My question is if setting FF to minimum in the options (both force feeedback and sensitivity) the wheel became easy to manage.

I'm playing the beta and enjoy it

Thank you