GTSport Beta Steering Wheel Experience?

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 226 comments
Seems strange to me that more people aren't commenting on this. I thought I'd try with my (T300) wheel again, after getting on fine with DS4. I tested with the TTS at the 'ring. I rather wish I hadn't bothered!

It took a few laps to crack the code, but essentially if you would've used the full DS travel then turn the wheel about 90 degrees, and for medium stick travel turn about 45 degs. Any turn that requires less input is a bit of a crap shoot - with very minor bends seeming to need more wheel input than expected. Obviously this 90/45 deg tactic only works if you're going at about the right speed.

It was a huge mental challenge to have half my brain pretend it was using a DS4, and then translate that to wheel movements, but by doing that I did get close to my DS4 checkpoint times (until some bend that looked 'minor' turned out to need 45 degrees turn).

If turning the wheel doesn't have a linear relationship with the angle of the front wheels, what on earth is the point of using a wheel?!
I posted about this a while back. Speed sensitive steering is defo present. Not realistic to drive with a wheel in its current form. So many things wrong with this game.

I posted about this a while back. Speed sensitive steering is defo present. Not realistic to drive with a wheel in its current form. So many things wrong with this game.

Indeed. Yes, I did recall one or two posts being made in either the general or physics threads (forgive me for not hunting them out!) but still remarkably few I thought!

In my mind, them doing this just does not compute :confused:, and makes driving harder. (I also don't understand people fussing over rotation settings when you basically never have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees anyway, even in a TTS, but never mind). The DS4 on the other hand, doing basically the same speed sensitive steering, does exactly what most people want and makes it easier.

I said something a little inaccurate before, about having a linear relationship. It needn't be linear, could have say a gamma curve applied, but should not be speed sensitive.

I guess there are people still driving with wheels, presumably they've got used to it and the FFB and having pedals makes up for it. There's no way I'm going to allow myself get used to it though, it's back to the sticks for me!

Indeed. Yes, I did recall one or two posts being made in either the general or physics threads (forgive me for not hunting them out!) but still remarkably few I thought!

In my mind, them doing this just does not compute :confused:, and makes driving harder. (I also don't understand people fussing over rotation settings when you basically never have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees anyway, even in a TTS, but never mind). The DS4 on the other hand, doing basically the same speed sensitive steering, does exactly what most people want and makes it easier.

I said something a little inaccurate before, about having a linear relationship. It needn't be linear, could have say a gamma curve applied, but should not be speed sensitive.

I guess there are people still driving with wheels, presumably they've got used to it and the FFB and having pedals makes up for it. There's no way I'm going to allow myself get used to it though, it's back to the sticks for me!
Totally agree with you. I'm amazed others have not spotted it.

Also a question for you, krishy_123

Do you happen to know if the other buttons besides the L and R buttons are pressure sensitive on the G29? If they are wouldn't it make more sense to use one of those instead of R3 for hand brake sensitivity?

Thanks for confirming the button re-assignment :)

Also which exact buttons do you mean? As far as I recall the other buttons (d pad and triangle circle etc) are not pressure sensitive. They are on or off. The PS4 Dualshock 4 was meant to have dropped those buttons due to the lack of developer support.

The reason I chose to use one of the L or R buttons are because they are tactile momentary buttons. They have a simple circuit to tap into and you can tap right into the button mounts itself. Buttons like the x, square, triangle, circle and the dpad are on a resistive type of circuit where the button pressed is determined by the resistance detected by another component of the PCB. Tapping into that circuit is messy and I didn't want to spend extra time tracing the pcb to find a good location to get the circle button inputs. Generally R3 is used for side functions in racing games, so for me it seemed like an easy button to re-assign :)

Also which exact buttons do you mean? As far as I recall the other buttons (d pad and triangle circle etc) are not pressure sensitive. They are on or off. The PS4 Dualshock 4 was meant to have dropped those buttons due to the lack of developer support.

The reason I chose to use one of the L or R buttons are because they are tactile momentary buttons. They have a simple circuit to tap into and you can tap right into the button mounts itself. Buttons like the x, square, triangle, circle and the dpad are on a resistive type of circuit where the button pressed is determined by the resistance detected by another component of the PCB. Tapping into that circuit is messy and I didn't want to spend extra time tracing the pcb to find a good location to get the circle button inputs. Generally R3 is used for side functions in racing games, so for me it seemed like an easy button to re-assign :)

I just want to give you a heads up about button re-assigning. If I remember correctly yes you can re-map but only certain combos.

Buttons on the left side of the wheel can be moved around but CANNOT be moved to the right side of the wheel, and vice versa. I hope this makes sense buttons on the left side on the left and buttons on the right side on the right.

I could be wrong though HAHA

Ok I wasn't aware that the dualshock 4 didn't even have pressure sensitive buttons anymore.

Seems strange to me that more people aren't commenting on this. I thought I'd try with my (T300) wheel again, after getting on fine with DS4. I tested with the TTS at the 'ring. I rather wish I hadn't bothered!

It took a few laps to crack the code, but essentially if you would've used the full DS travel then turn the wheel about 90 degrees, and for medium stick travel turn about 45 degs. Any turn that requires less input is a bit of a crap shoot - with very minor bends seeming to need more wheel input than expected. Obviously this 90/45 deg tactic only works if you're going at about the right speed.

It was a huge mental challenge to have half my brain pretend it was using a DS4, and then translate that to wheel movements, but by doing that I did get close to my DS4 checkpoint times (until some bend that looked 'minor' turned out to need 45 degrees turn).

If turning the wheel doesn't have a linear relationship with the angle of the front wheels, what on earth is the point of using a wheel?!
There has been a mention on physics thead i guess.. I posted it there.. I guess.. :lol:

Its very clear as if you turn and keep the wheel say 90 degrees and accelerate or slow down the steering angle indicator moves..

Based on my own test: lower sensitivity gives more detailed yes weaker feedback. Like for me using g29 sensitivity 4 seems to be the sweetspot - i can feel weight, grip, curbs (edge clime descent structure). Any lower is more vague "rattle" like and higher is more force and more numb. Using ffb7/4 now.

But then a new notice. Is it/has it been normal to have speed sensitive steering without aids? Noticed my steering angle changes as i accelerate yet the wheel stays the same. Here a little video - i turn and keep my wheel at 90 degree and accelerate.. :odd: this might be the reason i seem to catch slides a lot faster..

The last update (1.05?) really improved FFB. I set my FFB torque at 9, FFB sensitivity at 2. I'm using a T300

The problem with the FFB sensitivity setting is it adds in way too much damper, and masks/takes away a lot of the important nuanced feedback you get from the road and the tires. FFB sensitivity needs to be very low.

The last update (1.05?) really improved FFB. I set my FFB torque at 9, FFB sensitivity at 2. I'm using a T300

The problem with the FFB sensitivity setting is it adds in way too much damper, and masks/takes away a lot of the important nuanced feedback you get from the road and the tires. FFB sensitivity needs to be very low.

G29 needs more damper vs t300 to feel smooth. Differense in the motor type i guess.

There has been a mention on physics thead i guess.. I posted it there.. I guess.. :lol:

Its very clear as if you turn and keep the wheel say 90 degrees and accelerate or slow down the steering angle indicator moves..

As you found, there isn't really enough space to demonstrate it so that it's blatantly obvious!

Simpler to pick two corners that both need about 90 deg turn of the wheel, but one is 2nd gear and the other 4th. Say, T1 and the first part of Metzgesfeld (IIRC that one needs 90 briefly).

I just want to give you a heads up about button re-assigning. If I remember correctly yes you can re-map but only certain combos.

Buttons on the left side of the wheel can be moved around but CANNOT be moved to the right side of the wheel, and vice versa. I hope this makes sense buttons on the left side on the left and buttons on the right side on the right.

I could be wrong though HAHA
Uh Oh! I though you would be able to have free range at re-assigning to any button like recent games. *eek* ...though usually handbrake is circle in GT games iirc so its on the same side as the R3..

So anyone able to confirm if the Handbrake can be re-assigned to the R3 button? I guess this is my main question!

Uh Oh! I though you would be able to have free range at re-assigning to any button like recent games. *eek* ...though usually handbrake is circle in GT games iirc so its on the same side as the R3..

So anyone able to confirm if the Handbrake can be re-assigned to the R3 button? I guess this is my main question!

Yes, it can :)

Any tips for T150 guys? :) As of now the wheel feels just too heavy and stiff. I'm using default settings

Problems withh my G29, before it was the brake pedal that was braking alone , now it s the throttle that don t stay 100% even with the full gas applied on pedal (Check the variations on accel level indicator). No problems with assetto corsa or project car where everything is OK. It s specific to GTS.

Problems withh my G29, before it was the brake pedal that was braking alone , now it s the throttle that don t stay 100% even with the full gas applied on pedal (Check the variations on accel level indicator). No problems with assetto corsa or project car where everything is OK. It s specific to GTS.
If it checks out fine with other games then it must be a GTS issue, but it looks like the same effect that happens when the sensors get dirty. It happened to me a couple of times with my DFGT and cleaning them fixed up the problem. Seems like a weird thing to happen with the code though:crazy::drool::(

If it checks out fine with other games then it must be a GTS issue, but it looks like the same effect that happens when the sensors get dirty. It happened to me a couple of times with my DFGT and cleaning them fixed up the problem. Seems like a weird thing to happen with the code though:crazy::drool::(
I have cleanead it right now opening the back panel and sprayed WD40 on all contacts after taking out the dirt with a brush. Going to test it in a few. Thanks.

EDIT: Its OK now, strange it was working with others game, perhaps because they have a calibration settings on both accel and brake pedals... at least PCars .???!!!

Last edited:
It only works on certain cars that have a shifter in real life too and only with the stock transmission. It works on the N300 Subaru WRX STI for example.

I've tried it on that subaru and some other manual cars, but the clutch and shifter won't work. The clutch and shifter work fine on PC and Drivr club though. Is there some setting I could be missing?

I've tried it on that subaru and some other manual cars, but the clutch and shifter won't work. The clutch and shifter work fine on PC and Drivr club though. Is there some setting I could be missing?

Not really, it should just work. When pressing the clutch it should go in neutral. Or you can use the shifter without clutch as well by just moving the shifter into a gear without touching the clutch first. You're sure the transmission is stock and not the customizable transmission? It only works with stock transmission. Don't know what else could be wrong.

You mean 180 degrees? well if the car has 720, 900 or 1050 or what ever I should be able to see that on the screen too. It should be 1:1, how would it feel like if you are using VR and the virtual wheel does not moove 1:1 like your own ffb wheel. I have looked at the footage and when the players are turning 180 degrees(90 to one side) the virtual wheel dont even turn that far. That is very un immersive and gives us a hint that the game is not even trying to be more than a casual racer.

Not really, it should just work. When pressing the clutch it should go in neutral. Or you can use the shifter without clutch as well by just moving the shifter into a gear without touching the clutch first. You're sure the transmission is stock and not the customizable transmission? It only works with stock transmission. Don't know what else could be wrong.

That was the setting I was missing. Thanks!

You mean 180 degrees? well if the car has 720, 900 or 1050 or what ever I should be able to see that on the screen too. It should be 1:1, how would it feel like if you are using VR and the virtual wheel does not moove 1:1 like your own ffb wheel. I have looked at the footage and when the players are turning 180 degrees(90 to one side) the virtual wheel dont even turn that far. That is very un immersive and gives us a hint that the game is not even trying to be more than a casual racer.

No, I did mean 90 deg, as in 90 deg turn of the ffb wheel away from centre to make a variety of corners. In some sense that would correspond to 180 deg rotation, but thanks to the speed sensitivity, I'd very much hesitate to call it that.

I wasn't talking about the virtual wheel at all, but you are right - it should match the ffb wheel. I hadn't noticed it didn't because I don't play with cockpit view. The virtual wheel appears to have 180 deg rotation (+/- 90 deg turn), but seems to only use that much at slow speeds (from a quick look playing with DS4, which is obviously speed sensitive). In medium speed corners pushing the DS4 stick fully over makes the virtual wheel turn about 45 degrees, at most. So it could be that the virtual wheel isn't speed sensitive, and hence more real than the ffb wheel! :crazy:

No, I did mean 90 deg, as in 90 deg turn of the ffb wheel away from centre to make a variety of corners. In some sense that would correspond to 180 deg rotation, but thanks to the speed sensitivity, I'd very much hesitate to call it that.

I wasn't talking about the virtual wheel at all, but you are right - it should match the ffb wheel. I hadn't noticed it didn't because I don't play with cockpit view. The virtual wheel appears to have 180 deg rotation (+/- 90 deg turn), but seems to only use that much at slow speeds (from a quick look playing with DS4, which is obviously speed sensitive). In medium speed corners pushing the DS4 stick fully over makes the virtual wheel turn about 45 degrees, at most. So it could be that the virtual wheel isn't speed sensitive, and hence more real than the ffb wheel! :crazy:

They could at least give us the option to disable the driver and the wheel :) I play with my monitor very close to me, so my ffb wheel is almost as if the wheel is protruding/extruding out from the cockpit itself, if I would see a wheel in the cockpit then it would be a bit strange and immersion braking in that case. But in VR it should match perfectly.

Man, there's definitely something wrong with GT Sport and the pedals. I've tried my T500 RS pedals with GT6 and PCARS and it works like a charm as always, but with GT Sport, something is not right with the braking pedal!

I have to press real hard for 100% brake. Not even in my real car I have to apply half the pressure. It doesn't feel natural, and it is causing me to lose a lot of time on hot laps... Is there anyone else experiencing braking problems with the Thrustmaster T500 RS?

Man, there's definitely something wrong with GT Sport and the pedals. I've tried my T500 RS pedals with GT6 and PCARS and it works like a charm as always, but with GT Sport, something is not right with the braking pedal!

I have to press real hard for 100% brake. Not even in my real car I have to apply half the pressure. It doesn't feel natural, and it is causing me to lose a lot of time on hot laps... Is there anyone else experiencing braking problems with the Thrustmaster T500 RS?
I really hope we will have pedals and wheel calibration options in the final game.
For my G29 brake and accel problem i had, it take 15 minutes to open the pedals , clean everything and spray WD40 on the electrics contacts. All is working very well now .

For my G29 brake and accel problem i had, it take 15 minutes to open the pedals , clean everything and spray WD40 on the electrics contacts. All is working very well now .

Seems odd that my G25 never needed this level of service in 13 years of use, or that my G29 would need it after less than 6 months...

Seems odd that my G25 never needed this level of service in 13 years of use, or that my G29 would need it after less than 6 months...
I have installed my rig under the roof second floor, i was using the place to dry wet clothes , there is only tiles above and the wind blow a lot up there. Dunes upwind are sending a lot of sand and dust also. I have to clean the place almost everyday . This is the reason a lot of dirt accumulate inside the G29 pedals. It take only 15 minutes to open , clean and spray. :) Till the next time.

Hi, I'm new in the forum, I am a fan on GT series.
For GT Sport i was thinking about buying a t150, but I'am worried about force feedback.
I never use a wheel, alway dualshock, and i have no experience with this feature. i would prefere the precision of a steering wheel and pedals, but not a tiring driving experience, with the wheel very soft and easy to turn, without having to fight every single turn and have pain after one hour of race!
My question is if setting FF to minimum in the options (both force feeedback and sensitivity) the wheel became easy to manage.

I'm playing the beta and enjoy it

Thank you

Back