Happiness.

I've thought about this, specifically what photonrider is talking about, a lot.

*story snip*

*snip about happiness being infectious*

I think it affects some people differently than others.

I can look at a complete stranger and detect their emotions. If they're angry, I get a certain response from their direction. If they're sad, or happy, or neutral, same thing. I often equate it to the music that I play and live. I have an all-encompassing attachment to harmonies, which move me emotionally much more than a simple change in chords affects most people (including fellow musicians) I've met. I've read that it's been discovered that emotions emanate a frequency or combination of frequencies - a chord, basically. So my thought is that those "chords" everyone emits are a lot more noticeable to me than most people, just as musical harmony affects me more than most people.

Whatever the reason, other peoples' moods affect me hugely. If my college roommate is angry with something (a common occurrence these days, unfortunately...:indiff:), even if I'm in a good mood I end up being in a similarly frustrated mood before the end of the day. I'm a slave to harmony and a slave to other peoples' emotions.

*snip about the sky*

Definitely inspiring. Where I live I am fortunate enough to be able to see a completely clear sky (not a single cloud or anything) many times throughout the year, and it is beautiful. What really gives me the response you describe though is when the sun peaks through a group of clouds and you can see its individual rays pouring down onto the ground through the clouds. I get an overwhelming sense of peace. As a Christian, it feels like God is waving to me in a way.

Regarding what happiness actually is, and whether or not it's a physical response you can measure: I would imagine that analytically happiness is achieved by a release of certain chemicals in your body. However, I don't like to think of it that way. Laughter and happiness are what define human beings as a species in my mind, and they come from the soul, not chemicals.

Many people know the John Lennon story about responding to the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question as a child. That's basically my life in a nutshell. I don't care about being successful or famous or remembered - I just want to be happy, and however I accomplish that is irrelevant.

@kennylmao: That sounds like happiness to me.

Happiness?

For me, it depends on the day... On Sunday I was perfectly happy and ok with my current life :)

Today... I feel horrible, I want to quit my job and everything... and feel like putting a bullet on my head :nervous:

This can make you feel very happy for a long periode of time:

1779404_zps6982a973.jpg

"What is happiness?", is a philosophic question, I guess. I'm actually searching for the answer to it, myself.

I thought Wikipedia might've hold the answer;
Wikipedia.org
Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources. Various research groups, including positive psychology, endeavor to apply the scientific method to answer questions about what "happiness" is, and how it might be attained.

Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Happiness in this sense was used to translate the Greek Eudaimonia, and is still used in virtue ethics. Happiness economics suggests that measures of public happiness should be used to supplement more traditional economic measures when evaluating the success of public policy.
Made sense, but didn't give me the answer I was looking for, so I looked it up in the dictionary, where I got "The emotion of being happy; joy". Then, I thought "what about 'happy', then?";
English dictionary on "happy"
1. Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
2. Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
3. Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.
4. Cheerful; willing: happy to help.
5. a. Characterized by a spontaneous or obsessive inclination to use something. Often used in combination: trigger-happy.
b. Enthusiastic about or involved with to a disproportionate degree. Often used in combination: money-happy; clothes-happy.

- That's what I call "the scientific explanation", but still no answer... I know I'm not smart, or anything near that, but defining what it'll say "to be happy", varies from person to person (I think). To me, "to be happy", is when everything is perfect, a person has nothing to worry about , and likes his/her current life-situation - then I would be happy, - but is that the definitive answer? No, it's not. You could say it's like asking "what do Aliens look like?" - there is no definitive answer (yet).

I hope it made sense...

Happiness is a quick moment that fades away as soon reality hits you and show how bad your situation is.

I think those are what the doc gave me yesterday. Is it paroxitine? I've just come off of flouxitine so my happiness level is at an all time low. :grumpy:

Really? Man, it must be hard, if you forget to take them. How long did you wait, before you saw/felt any results?

They take a few weeks to get into the system and have any proper effect.

I've been on Prozac and similar pills for the best part of a decade to help me deal with bipolar disorder.Without them my world pretty much grinds to a halt.

Recently I missed a few weeks because of supply problems at the hospital so I've been pretty unstable.

Are you happy, now?

They take a few weeks to get into the system and have any proper effect.

Yes, Some meds can take as long as a month to kick in. This doesn't mean they're not working right away. As we discussed, some posts ago, new 'channels' as such have to be cut into your pathways - so that the chemicals that your brain needs to 'cool down' may pass to and fro, causing the kind of electrical activity that you will feel as 'happiness.'
This doesn't happen overnight.
The waiting period can be hell.

Some feel depressed by the thought that one needs be dependent on this for the rest of their lives. Not so. There are many cases where patients have eventually gone off the meds and successfully handle the stresses of life. That takes time, too.

The biggest pitfall - is to expect too much. Being unhappy sometimes, being stressed by the pace of life (in a world that is practically morphing instead of evolving), being down on occasion should be considered 'normal'.
One can't expect to be in a constant state of euphoria.

Another thought to consider would be to ask your doctor about the chemicals in the meds you take, and what foods contain such chemicals, and then consume such foods.
Serotonin, for instance, can be boosted, with the foods you choose.

Examples:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_foods_raise_serotonin_levels

Even those who take the prescribed medication that permits them to harness a mode of behaviour that will be considered normal by society, will usually recommend that one doesn't ever start on these type of meds.

The life of meds is not an easy one; and it can be a huge burden, financially, socially, and physiologically.

This is the reason many don't take meds (or will refuse to start on them). However, while various medications have been proven to be effective in most cases, sometimes even a small lifestyle change can prove to be as effective as the meds in resetting a person's depressive state.

Even those who take the prescribed medication that permits them to harness a mode of behaviour that will be considered normal by society, will usually recommend that one doesn't ever start on these type of meds.

The life of meds is not an easy one; and it can be a huge burden, financially, socially, and physiologically.

This is the reason many don't take meds (or will refuse to start on them). However, while various medications have been proven to be effective in most cases, sometimes even a small lifestyle change can prove to be as effective as the meds in resetting a person's depressive state.

Most people who care about their health condition choose to avoid clinging on medicines, for fear of not kicking in as they anticipated for the first hand or having an undue amount of effects to the point that they by contraries turn out to be harmful for their body, in short meds being very unstable or the efficacy suspicious to us in a potion even for once.

As for medications even if they're proven to be safer than the past for patients to take on thanks to the advancement of the operators' hands in treatment and the doctors having more tangible knowledge towards medicines and how to deal with them rightly - they're not all the same 100% a secure choice to follow to alter their undesirable state of condition or mentality, so you better not too much rely on it too easily when you contract a certain disease or fall into an unpleasant shape going to see a doc for curatives.

Last edited:
Oh look, the happiness thread popped up again. Time for me to do some cuckoo talk.

I've given up looking for happiness because I know without sadness, happiness is meaningless. It's all relative. You can't know what is happiness without knowing what is sadness. So I choose to take in whatever feelings that may come, good or bad. Happiness is unattainable anyways. Eternal happiness I meant. Happiness is just a feeling that happens during the moment and it fades away thereafter. Eternal happiness is only attainable through death. Only then will we be free. Free from everything and forever be happy. But I wouldn't want that just yet, too many things I haven't done, too many things I haven't tried yet in this life.

And lately I've been indulging in false happiness. I've been buying loads of stuff that I obviously don't need but it makes me happy. I don't care if it's false, it takes less effort/commitment/investment. Doesn't matter either, if it's false happiness or true happiness, both doesn't last anyways.

The End.

Oh look, the happiness thread popped up again. Time for me to do some cuckoo talk.

I've given up looking for happiness because I know without sadness, happiness is meaningless. It's all relative. You can't know what is happiness without knowing what is sadness. So I choose to take in whatever feelings that may come, good or bad. Happiness is unattainable anyways. Eternal happiness I meant. Happiness is just a feeling that happens during the moment and it fades away thereafter. Eternal happiness is only attainable through death. Only then will we be free. Free from everything and forever be happy. But I wouldn't want that just yet, too many things I haven't done, too many things I haven't tried yet in this life.

And lately I've been indulging in false happiness. I've been buying loads of stuff that I obviously don't need but it makes me happy. I don't care if it's false, it takes less effort/commitment/investment. Doesn't matter either, if it's false happiness or true happiness, both doesn't last anyways.

The End.

The more you complicate the understanding; the more you won't achieve it.

An interesting thing to point out:

A Korean friend of mine and I are car-pooling. We're both happier to have someone to drive to/from school with.

Happiness is as much about the company you choose to keep, as it is about material possessions, if not even more so.

Don't surround yourselves with jerks.

Back