Hockey 2007 - 08 Thread!

• Thread starter V1P3R
  • 227 comments
Now that Phoenix has Bryzgalov, they actually have a chance of winning a few games. And New Jersey is leading the division once again because Brodeur is back to his old self, Langenbrunner is back, Colin White is back, Parise is amazing, they have adapted to Brent Sutter's different coaching style and have bought into his system, I could go on forever.

And I love New Jersey, even though I live in Canada near Toronto, I hate the Leafs, cannot stand the fans or some of their organization decisions, I am a diehard New Jersey fan.

I guess I should be offended, but the Leafs boat is sort of sinking at the moment. With their budget, one would not expect the Leafs to be doing so abysmally. So, I agree with you on the management part, but the fans at least have spirit and heart.

Oh wow... OWNED!

2003051035759825746_rs.jpg

**** ya! Go Minnesota!

You better win Sharts...

In other news... How does Washington decimate Ottawa 3 time but lose in a shutout to Boston?
127fs4573872.gif

Uh oh... Ottawa vs Washington tomorrow.

I would say Washington will win since Heatley and Spezza are hurt but watch they win just to prove me wrong...

I'll chime in, so you're not talking to yourself in here :D.

Washington is teh suck. I'm not sure why Ovechkin signed his life away to play for them. Money, sure, but he probably could have gotten just as much from a decent team.

I'll chime in, so you're not talking to yourself in here :D.

Thanks. xD

Washington is teh suck. I'm not sure why Ovechkin signed his life away to play for them. Money, sure, but he probably could have gotten just as much from a decent team.

I don't think Ovechkin has a choice in the matter since he IS the team. Although, in all seriousness maybe the should dump Kozig and get a real goalie. :lol:

As for washington teh suck, well they aren't last for now and they have beaten Ottawa 3 times.

Hay, how bout that... the past few games the Sharts have actually been playing like the Sharks. That won't last long. xD

Oh, props to Buffalo and LA too. 👍

(depressed voice) The Leafs couldn't pull off two wins against Washington...

lol, joo gotted owned! Actually, in all seriousness I think Wash is doing well. I think them and Chicago should be able to do better than they have been.

They have decent players unlike say Buffalo which I don't understand how they win against anyone...

lol, joo gotted owned! Actually, in all seriousness I think Wash is doing well. I think them and Chicago should be able to do better than they have been.

They have decent players unlike say Buffalo which I don't understand how they win against anyone...

Well, Buffalo lost their key players (Briere, Biron) for this year, but they were quite good last year, upset by Crosby's Penguins (I think). How all those trades got through is a mystery.

Off-topic: did you know that Buffalo made it to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1977? Ironically, they lost to the Philadelphia Flyers in six games.

Wow... the skills comp was all kinds of Fail. Where did they get these judges? Well except for that announce guy with the mustache (for the life of me I can't remember his name).

Wow... the skills comp was all kinds of Fail. Where did they get these judges? Well except for that announce guy with the mustache (for the life of me I can't remember his name).

meh, wasn't bad. I kinda miss the 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 breaks that they used to do in the old format, but I think it'll just take time for the players to really adapt to and adopt this new set of challenges.

I'll say that I do like the multiple rounds in the accurate shot competition (ahem, in particular when a Leaf takes top honour 👍). Much better than the time based tie breaker, imo.

I was disappointed in the final style based shootout competition. I understand that this one was pure fan service and whatnot, and the format will catch on I'm sure, but the League just goofed here. Apart from Ovechkin (and Crosby who would've undoubtedly been in it had he not been injured) the league placed the wrong type of players in that competition. They really needed more quick and crafty guys along the lines of Hemsky, Spezza, Sam Gagner, Pavel Bure :P, etc.... not necessarily the purest of goal scorers but very imaginative with the puck.

oh, and too bad that none of the lacrosse goal attempts, or Ovechkin's Tiger Woods impressions really connected - but, it was a good try.

That was Bill Clement, he does the commentating and intermission shows for NBC.

For the Break Away Challenge, I think they need to keep the goailies in their blue and get some other goalies that are from the Juniors and Minors (CHL, AHL) or even some kids around the age of 16-18, just some younger guys who can just stand in the net and get deked. I thought they could have used some different guys too, I thought Datsyuk would be alot better, where did Getzlaf come from? and Gaborik was a good choice. Ovechkin was good, take St. Louis out for someone more creative, and I thought my boy Kovalchuk would have done something better.

But the league also has to change some other things like telling the guys in it ealier on so they have like 2-3 weeks to work on some special moves, and bring in some younger more creative guys.

I also thought that for the Fastest skater, if they can, make the distance longer than goal line to far blue line so the guys can get more speed.

I heard the reason why they changed the fastest skater layout is because for the lap around the ice you have to be able to crossover and so I guess they were worried more about people blowing out than anything, that's why they had the straight layout so lengthing it would be the worse possible thing to do. xD

Yes, most of the new competitions were indeed disappointing. Nobody really knew what to do for the new breakaway competition (and Crosby wasn't even in it; he would have loved that stuff), and one of the judges I believe was a football commentator.

What was Osgood doing in the YoungStars game?

Hay Nabby? can ya play like that the rest of the season? xD

Who the picks this crap? Nevo or whoever the hell this no talent asswipe was? And also Hanson brothers 2.

lol, one of the cheerleaders had a gut too...

I heard the reason why they changed the fastest skater layout is because for the lap around the ice you have to be able to crossover and so I guess they were worried more about people blowing out than anything, that's why they had the straight layout so lengthing it would be the worse possible thing to do. xD

And they've tried to make most of the skills more game situation oriented. Pretty rare that you'd have someone doing a balls out lap and a half around the rink during their shift. This sorta represents a sprint to recieve a stretch pass or beat an icing call - though do I agree that a longer race would be better.

Osgood was in the youngsters game so the east could turn the light on a few times :P. Wow was he brutal... I mean ya, the skills comp and allstar game are really tough on goaltenders, but I still think he let a few too many slip past this weekend. Pretty sure his performance this season is a better representation of how good Detroit's defense is at minimizing decent scoring opportunities than a indicator of his own talent between the pipes.
The CBC commentator said he was in because there were no young goalies invited... but it still makes no sense to me why they'd throw in the oldest goalie they have. :confused:

Yesterday.

I don't know... I don't get it. Why would St Louis possibly want to go to Dallas and even if he did the Lightning wouldn't want to do that trade. Finally, wtf would the Lighting want Turco of all goalies?? It's no where close to being a fair trade...

Glad to see my Red Wings are still doing well!! I'm still waiting for my Wings, Sens Stanley Cup Final, could this be the year??

Back