Hockey 2007 - 08 Thread!

• Thread starter V1P3R
  • 227 comments
I don't care if the Wings are in First, you guys
censored1ap.gif
ing suck. Thanks for nothing.

Edit: oh, hey now! Watch out! Washington is in 3rd! lool

I was very scared to see Richard Zednik of the Florida Panthers have that brutal slice to his neck. I'm VERY happy he's alright after a nasty incident like what happened back on Sunday or Monday. It was absolutely scary. Even reoccuring images of that incident scare the holy hell out of me. It was actually scary to watch. I'm just glad he's stable and can talk. He's supposed to be out about 6-8 weeks. He's expected to fully recover. Just goes to show you that hockey can be one of the most vicious sports out there.

Certainly. No doubt the long-standing neckguard issue may be resurrected now for the NHL... Clint Malarchuk was in Buffalo too when his neck was slashed open in that infamous incident in 1989.

I was very scared to see Richard Zednik of the Florida Panthers have that brutal slice to his neck. I'm VERY happy he's alright after a nasty incident like what happened back on Sunday or Monday. It was absolutely scary. Even reoccuring images of that incident scare the holy hell out of me. It was actually scary to watch.

As stated in another thread, I saw a clip of it on a sports show and I immediately went green, and vomited moments later. :ill: Absolutely chilling to see, and still gives me the major heebie-jeebies.

I'm just glad he's stable and can talk. He's supposed to be out about 6-8 weeks. He's expected to fully recover. Just goes to show you that hockey can be one of the most vicious sports out there.

Indeed.

This scary incident was unbearable to watch. Do you think other ice hockey series may consider offering a neckguard if they don't normally use neckguards already? I'm talking about NCAA hockey, any school hockey, minor-league hockey, etc.? And assuming the NHL reinstates the neckguard, do you think this could prevent other slashings like this freak accident?

[UPDATE] I did some brief reading online about the Clint Malarchuk incident in 1989. He didn't die from what I've read. I still think it's absolutely scary to envision this happening. This is almost as bad as any Anime movie or cartoon that features severed heads. The absolutely worst that could happen could have been a deep laceration to the throat that could cut off breathing. Thankfully, this slashing (or even the Malarchuk incident even though I'm not very educated in hockey) didn't get as worse as it could have been. I'm still very thankful Zednik and Malarchuk didn't have these severe slashings to the neck that could have jeaprodized their lives.

There was a skater that got cut near the eye today... I think it was the oilers/wild game.

Oh yeah... Good job Sharts losing at the last second. :rolleyes:

fail.jpg

This scary incident was unbearable to watch. Do you think other ice hockey series may consider offering a neckguard if they don't normally use neckguards already? I'm talking about NCAA hockey, any school hockey, minor-league hockey, etc.? And assuming the NHL reinstates the neckguard, do you think this could prevent other slashings like this freak accident?

All highschool and regional minor hockey leagues that I'm aware of require neck guards to be used. It doesn't seem to be at all age related though. Midget leagues here (ages 16-18) require full face shield and neck guards to be worn, but Junior leagues (same ages, but a step up in skill level) require neither. At the university level (CIS men's hockey) and in the professional and semi-professional leagues I see hardly anyone wearing neck guards.

And ya, those things would certainly help prevent such an occurence from happening again, they're made from pretty thick and dense cloth - the good ones have a little bit of flexible plastic in them as well and a bib/smock down the front to cover the portion of your upper chest that shoulder pads typically do not.

btw - hard as I try to avoid the images of the incident, TV seems to be forcing it upon me. In the course of watching two hockey games this evening (Montreal vs Tampa, and Edmonton vs Minnesota) and watching bits of the late night news it's been flashed on the screen at me 5 times. I really didnt want to see it to begin with and now it seems I can't get away from it. :yuck::ill:
Thankfully, I've grown slightly less sensitive to it by now and don't go weak kneed on sight of it... but I do still change the channel to something else as quickly as I can.

the good ones have a little bit of flexible plastic in them as well and a bib/smock down the front to cover the portion of your upper chest that shoulder pads typically do not.

I believe that those are often used for goalkeepers, though, which is not very bright for puck protection...

As I expected he would, Don Cherry just went on a bit of rant on Coach's Corner about how the NHL and other professional leagues should be wearing neckguards (before he got even more steamed up on a larger rant about how the Leafs should be drafting more Canadians)

Edit: When it's uploaded by HNIC Staff, tonights Coach's Corner will be available here:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coachscorner/

If for nothing else, watch it just to see Ron interrupt Don mid-rant to tell him how much time is left :lol: :lol:

Ya I also caught that Coaches Corner, I am not sure if they will ever make neckguards mandatory though. They will most likely argue that these guys are grown men and make their own decisions in life, but then how come construction workers have to wear hard hats and other protection?

Its hard to say what will happen, in my league (which is just a house league this year) I have to wear the neckguard and bird cage but I don't really mind it. My neckguard is really terrible however and it doesnt look like it would serve much protection.

Also at the same time, it is a freak accident that has only happened twice in the NHL and a freak accident is exactly what it is. Never when I am playing hockey to I worry about something getting me in the neck be it a skate or stick or puck, it just doesnt really cross my mind.

Even if an accident like what Zednik had doesn't happen all that much, don't you still want to take measures to safeguard players? Think about when Eric Medlen and Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in their respective crashes. Weren't there changes made to help enhance safety so the absolute worst can be averted? Well, I'd obviously want the same in hockey or any other sport.

Even if an accident like what Zednik had doesn't happen all that much, don't you still want to take measures to safeguard players? Think about when Eric Medlen and Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in their respective crashes. Weren't there changes made to help enhance safety so the absolute worst can be averted? Well, I'd obviously want the same in hockey or any other sport.

No because players still don't even feel the need to add shields to their helmets to protect against pucks and sticks hitting them in the face. Ironically they say it gets in the way or they won't get hit or some other stupid reason.

It's up to the NHLPA (players association) whether to heed the NHL's suggestions. Most of those players have been playing that way for years, and they don't want to change.

Did you see those Rangers go? I am sure that their recent 5-1 victory (team undisclosed) will give them a bit of an impetus for tonight's game.

Toronto beat the Blue Jackets 3-1! But it should have been 4-1; Dominic Moore's goal was put in with 2 seconds left...

Great Match ups today.

Wash vs Chicago

The ****s vs The Shooting Gay Stars

edit:

I got it I got it... ohhhhh, I don't got it.. Doh!

Wow, wash got OWNED! lool Especially that last save from Haibulin. Kolzig bad night...?

Good job ****s getting the win over the shooting gay stars.

I got it I got it... ohhhhh, I don't got it.. Doh!

I am glad that I have never let in a goal like that... sure, there was this one time where I left the net to play the puck and passed it onto the tape of an opponent. He skated around me and shot, but I lunged backwards and lifted the paddle of my stick enough to deflect the shot and send the puck to the crossbar. We lost 4-0 that game anyways...

Wow, wash got OWNED! lool Especially that last save from Haibulin. Kolzig bad night...?

Good job ****s getting the win over the shooting gay stars

Can someone translate this post for me, please?

Roughly, it says:

"Wow, Washington lost by a sizable amount. (laughs uproariously) A key play for that was the last save by Nikolai Khabibulin. Olaf Kolzig must have had a bad night...did he?

Way to [censored] getting the win over the, 'flamboyant' Dallas Stars squad."

No hard feelings, right, VIP3R?

Off-topic (however it may not, because this seems to suggest a general hockey thread), but what Jonathan Roy did was appalling, if something that may have been seen as, 'cool' at the time. (Goalie fights are understandably rare; I would know) I would hope that Bobby Nadeau (the other goalie involved) was not too badly injured. The discipline may have seemed too lenient, though.

Put short, Jonathan made the headlines for the wrong reasons, and, regardless of Patrick's involvement with the issue, any hopes of making it to the NHL with a higher-class team, should those be his intentions, appear to be terminated.

I saw the videoclip of the Roy assault (it wasn't a fight) and am rather disgusted. It takes a big man to assault someone who won't fight back. I wonder if after hockey games he goes and rolls drunks and homeless people.

Back