Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
It sounds like something broken not throatier. But who cares honestly.

Alonso only 6 laps +18 seconds to leader.

Explain.

This is what really matter.

Brawn GP didn't get a car out until end of testing and won the title. Explain that in your "late in development" theory.

They're 6 months ahead of where the other teams were in Jerez last year. This is not late at all, and they're most likely using this test day to configure the engine for max performance more than anything.
Ok.
Remind me. What were the 2 biggest criticisms last year? Oh yes. They were noses and noise so I think many people will care.
Last year ugly sounds doesn't make a bubbling tractor automatically cool to me. I'm glad you like it though.
Brawn GP didn't get a car out until end of testing and won the title. Explain that in your "late in development" theory.
Double decker did the trick.

smunp0.png

Explain.

They're running at extremely limited power and breaking the engine in. Managing a lap at all is far better than than what half the teams managed with new engines this time last year.

Take your Ferrari fanboyisms to the Ferrari thread, please.

Please you guys don't make this a duplicate of the autosport's forums madness where people piss for territorial threads. All threads are for everyone and being a fan of a team or a driver does not make a fan boy. Defend your preferences, don't attack others, they're just like yours: preferences.

Explain.

Easy. It's a combination of two things:

1) McLaren are running their own programme, one that doesn't (yet) call for them to chase raw pace. It's exactly what everyone did last year when the new engines were run for the first time.

And:

2) You clearly don't understand how testing works. It's nit a giant qualifying session where everyone tries to set the fastest time that they can.

Please you guys don't make this a duplicate of the autosport's forums madness where people piss for territorial threads. All threads are for everyone and being a fan of a team or a driver does not make a fan boy. Defend your preferences, don't attack others, they're just like yours: preferences.
I would be perfectly fine with that person if they were to me. But they weren't so...

I'm afraid those of you who like their actual livery are part of the absolute minority.
I never said I liked it, it's okay at most.

What I said is they could do something interesting with the current colours of silver, red and black if they got a 3rd party company such as Pangaea Creative (they did Formula E's Amlin Aguri and Mahindra Racing liveries) to do it as they would apply more resources to the design.

I never said I liked it, it's okay at most.

What I said is they could do something interesting with the current colours of silver, red and black if they got a 3rd party company such as Pangaea Creative (they did Formula E's Amlin Aguri and Mahindra Racing liveries) to do it as they would apply more resources to the design.
Yeah, but the main issue for us is the silver in their livery, since it relates way too much to Mercedes. I wouldn't mind any kind of livery as long as it didn't incorporate silver into it.
As for the Red & White that is asked by a lot of fans (not the Marlboro livery or course), it simply relates to a bright and victorious period in McLaren's history, which also relates deeply with their partnership with Honda, regardless if said livery predates it. I'm sure that's the sentiment in many of us.

As for the Red & White that is asked by a lot of fans (not the Marlboro livery or course), it simply relates to a bright and victorious period in McLaren's history, which also relates deeply with their partnership with Honda, regardless if said livery predates it. I'm sure that's the sentiment in many of us.

And give free advertising to one of Ferrari's main sponsors? ;)

I do actually think they'll go for a variation of red and white. They are colours associated with Honda even before the McLaren/Marlboro link up, so it makes sense.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why they are Tweeting this - Dennis has said that when change comes, it won't be for the sake of it. They will change to suit a sponsor, not to recapture a moment's nostalgia. He is clearly looking forward with an eye to the team that McLaren will be in the future.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117544
Yeah... It seems like Ron isn't that happy that people are going on and on about the livery, yet Mclarens Twitter keeps the discussion going on and on...

Yeah... It seems like Ron isn't that happy that people are going on and on about the livery, yet Mclarens Twitter keeps the discussion going on and on...
it's almost like a marketing exercise...

And give free advertising to one of Ferrari's main sponsors? ;)

I do actually think they'll go for a variation of red and white. They are colours associated with Honda even before the McLaren/Marlboro link up, so it makes sense.
I'm afraid you've misinterpreted my post. I clearly stated the livery design would be red and white while not resembling the Marlboro's.

I'm afraid you've misinterpreted my post. I clearly stated the livery design would be red and white while not resembling the Marlboro's.

No, i understood what you are saying, i just think that an even share red and white livery would look too similar to Marlboro sponsorship - or worse still for a Honda powered car, looking like a Toyota F1 car, which maybe long gone, but are still contemporary enough for most fans to remember.

I'm thinking predominantly white with some red elements. Red with white highlights would look too much like a Ferrari. Too much white with red highlights would look like a Williams Martini. They don't have much breathing space to avoid looking like someone else.

I wouldn't mind a white and red livery. Being from a BTCC background Hondas liveries when it's been in as a manufacturer has been white and red with sometimes a bit of black.

Also I do quite like the old white and red McLarens :P.

No, i understood what you are saying, i just think that an even share red and white livery would look too similar to Marlboro sponsorship - or worse still for a Honda powered car, looking like a Toyota F1 car, which maybe long gone, but are still contemporary enough for most fans to remember.

I'm thinking predominantly white with some red elements. Red with white highlights would look too much like a Ferrari. Too much white with red highlights would look like a Williams Martini. They don't have much breathing space to avoid looking like someone else.

Doubt they'd care if they looked like the Toyotas, everyone will connect to the old Mclaren-Honda one.

McLaren are finally running at - or close to - full power, with Alonso cracking the 1:35s. He's still two and a half seconds adrift of the fastest times, but it's their first serious running.

Boullier says the cooling is working normally, but I wouldn't be surprised if they need cooling vents for venues that are hotter, like Malaysia.

Back