Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
I've been thinking about McLaren's livery and potential sponsors. The team like companies with a best practice, so here are some ideas:

- Honda, for obvious reasons.
- Sony or Microsoft, for the PS4 or X1.
- eBay, which looked pretty good in the BTCC.
- Pepsi Max, which looks good in V8SC.

I've been thinking about McLaren's livery and potential sponsors. The team like companies with a best practice, so here are some ideas:

- Honda, for obvious reasons.
- Sony or Microsoft, for the PS4 or X1.
- eBay, which looked pretty good in the BTCC.
- Pepsi Max, which looks good in V8SC.
Pepsi would be nice, add some zing and even more color to the grid. :D

So, as we all know McLaren had a press conference.

Excitement rose thanks to the rose tinted glasses, and wanting a new livery. Especially after McLaren's post on Twitter. Orange? White and red? Ohhhhh hype 11! !!1!1!!!1one.

McLaren said nothing about a livery, but nevertheless people banged on about it. Some even got up a daft o clock to see the new livery they hope may be revealed...

It was about the McLaren-Honda relationship :lol:

And I'm now sitting here laughing at the people who led themselves to believe this was something big.

Ron Dennis believes that the idea of title sponsors is dead. And he has a point - the costs of competing are so high that a title sponsor package is extremely expensive and companies are unwilling to invest because they can't see where the money is going. There's still the perception that the most meaningful gains are coming through aerodynamic development, which is not the image that sponsors want to be associated with or encourage.

Ron Dennis believes that the idea of title sponsors is dead. And he has a point - the costs of competing are so high that a title sponsor package is extremely expensive and companies are unwilling to invest because they can't see where the money is going. There's still the perception that the most meaningful gains are coming through aerodynamic development, which is not the image that sponsors want to be associated with or encourage.
One would think companies would like the idea of millions of folk worldwide seeing their driving billboard. You might have a point though as sponsorship these days is very lacking on most cars compared to how it used to be, and maybe new media is a much cheaper way to get your product across to a worldwide audience.

They certainly do like the idea - but only for the right price. Increased brand awareness through sponsorship is completely intangible, and so eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Ron Dennis has announced that the chrome will be removed from the MP4-30 starting from Barcelona, and it will be replaced by the darker graphite colour.

Ron Dennis has announced that the chrome will be removed from the MP4-30 starting from Barcelona, and it will be replaced by the darker graphite colour.

Not just any old graphite though. this is "optimised", "a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo ‘Speedmarks’ and keylines'".

So grey, but described by Ron Dennis.

Because that's exactly what the McLaren needs, a change of colour 👍 Maybe they could add some 'go faster' stripes while they're at it.
They're also getting reliability updates from Honda - updates that won't use development tokens.

Not just any old graphite though. this is "optimised", "a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration"

Just the sort of image an underachieving back-of-the-grid car needs 👍 ;)

Should have changed it for a hi-viz orange so the leaders can see it early enough whilst lapping.

I think McLaren are going to take a leaf out of HRT's design book for the next race and have >Your Engine Here!< on the engine cover.

FB_IMG_1430911028566.jpg

There's something about the chevron wrapping around the top of the nosecone I really don't like.

11206672_10153183307211413_5739940825670643579_o.jpg

Are they trying to blend in with the track?

Edit: Just saw the front. Painting the whole car 1 colour with no highlights would be better. Even if it is Tarmac Grey.

It is very B grade.

mclaren-spain-livery-4.jpg

Last edited:
I... like it....

If they got rid of the second McLaren logo on the side pods it would be fantastic. Much better than the chrome monstrosity they had before.

Looks better I'd say, from looks a lot better from above that from the sides where it well looks black.

Well I don't think I'll be getting those and the Force India pair mixed up on TV from now on. What with the livery change on the nose. That must count for something.

Back