Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
No this livery looks like a cheap HRT even if you win it still looks like a cheap HRT.
Yes but here's the thing. The HRT F111 had a superb livery, but was junk.

Will anyone remember that in 20 years time? No. Will they remember this year's if it wins races? You bet.

A livery isn't the only measure of a legacy, in fact it's pretty low on the list.

I don't understand where the disappointment is coming from, myself.
There was a time when merely to look at an M8 or MP4/4 or MP4/5 was to have one's heart race faster.
Winning cars - especially dominant cars - somehow look better.

So the source of the disappointment in McLaren has a basis in their under-performance (compared to their potential) for too long a time. A dashing new livery without wins is like lipstick on a pig. A win, or better a clutch of them, and the old girl picks up admiring remarks on her curves and paint.

Winning cars - especially dominant cars - somehow look better.
My point exactly.

Neither the Marlboro or McLaren Can-Am liveries were even that creative (probably less so that the modern one) and would almost certainly be held in lower regard if it wasn't for the cars they were attached to.

It's nowhere near HRT, it doesn't say "this is a cool spot", "your logo here" or "this could be you", basically they don't advertise advertising space.
Think he means the 2010 livery. I'm still not seeing it though. That's closer to last year's Sauber.

Yes but here's the thing. The HRT F111 had a superb livery, but was junk.

Will anyone remember that in 20 years time? No. Will they remember this year's if it wins races? You bet.

A livery isn't the only measure of a legacy, in fact it's pretty low on the list.
Of course livery doesn't make your car any faster but I was used to recognize McL as the elegant car on the grid. That huge red line and the boring black wings looks like a cheap version of what has been Vodafone McLaren Mercedes some years ago. But rant is over now. I'll get used to.

Let my just say with that paint scheme I have one more reason in hoping McL to stay behind SF. I can't watch entire race through Vettel camera car with this thing in front. :dopey:
Think he means the 2010 livery.
Yes and wait.. looking at the pic, 2010 HRT looks better.
Karun+Chandhok,+HRT%3B.jpg

Last edited:
Of course livery doesn't make your car any faster but I was used to recognize McL as the elegant car on the grid. That huge red line and the boring black wings looks like a cheap version of what has been Vodafone McLaren Mercedes some years ago. But rant is over now. I'll get used to.

Let my just say with that paint scheme I have one more reason in hoping McL to stay behind SF. I can't watch entire race through Vettel camera car with this thing in front. :dopey:

Yes and wait.. looking at the pic, 2010 HRT looks better.
Karun+Chandhok,+HRT%3B.jpg
That HRT was way more beautiful than this year's McLaren, that's for sure. Since the car is also silver, just take a look at this year's Mercedes and compare it to McLaren. The livery is much nicer.
2DyJFsN.jpg

Last edited:
That HRT was way more beautiful than this year's McLaren, that's for sure. Since the car is also silver, just take a look at this year's Mercedes and compare it to McLaren. The livery is much nicer.
Even if I hate them because they forced hybrid engines or they would have left F1,
yes their car does looks good.

Are they trying to recoup some of that Alonoso money by not wrapping the truck? Even if it's an orange crescent done in Sharpie, you'd think they would have something on there.

Are they trying to recoup some of that Alonoso money by not wrapping the truck? Even if it's an orange crescent done in Sharpie, you'd think they would have something on there.
It's believed that they are still chasing a title sponsorship deal. If that's the case, they're unlikely to wrap the truck until the deal is done.

Brilliant?! Sounds like an engine setup which needs several hours, if not days, of adjustments before being properly run, that's what it sounded like. But considering Honda hasn't had much time testing it on track it's to be expected.
Yes. Brilliant. Needing adjustment or not.

It bodes well for a good sounding McLaren this year.

Edit: Sky isn't even showing testing so I can't make a judgement on all the engines...

Yes. Brilliant. Needing adjustment or not.

It bodes well for a good sounding McLaren this year.

Edit: Sky isn't even showing testing so I can't make a judgement on all the engines...
I reckon it won't sound too differently than all of the others after the car is properly adjusted. Let's wait and see.

Imo the Honda does sound a tad throatier than the others.
One of the reasons why the engine hasn't been properly adjusted yet. As of now, the other engines are a lot more smoother and (probably) responsive.

I reckon it won't sound too differently than all of the others after the car is properly adjusted. Let's wait and see.
Yeah, It might sound a tad different. But I hope it's slightly throatier.

I'm gonna wait though, and if it is I'll be a happy person.

Take your Ferrari fanboyisms to the Ferrari thread, please.
Hmm what? You call me fanboy and you call that ugly bubbling tractor noise "brilliant"?
Look I'm all for the McLaren vs. Ferrari battle I really wish these teams go back fighting each other for a World title like the good old days but I wasn't expecting Honda to be that late in development.

Yes Redbull Reanult last year did in impressive come back, but actually Honda doesn't sound promising or brilliant as you say.

Hmm what? You call me fanboy and you call that ugly bubbling tractor noise "brilliant"?
Look I'm all for the McLaren vs. Ferrari battle I really wish these teams go back fighting each other for a World title like the good old days but I wasn't expecting Honda to be that late in development.

Yes Redbull Reanult last year did in impressive come back, but actually Honda doesn't sound promising or brilliant as you say.
yes. Fanboy. I called the noise brilliant as that was an idle sound, and was throatier at idle than other engines I've heard.

Honda being that late in development? Explain.

I was talking about noise rather than performance. Read my posts properly and you would know that.

Alonso only 6 laps +18 seconds to leader.

Explain.

This is what really matter.
They're 6 months ahead of where the other teams were in Jerez last year. This is not late at all, and they're most likely using this test day to configure the engine for max performance more than anything.

It sounds like something broken not throatier. But who cares honestly.
Remind me. What were the 2 biggest criticisms last year? Oh yes. They were noses and noise so I think many people will care.

Back