Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
Here are some images to spice things a little bit.
orange.jpg

Another one
malboro.jpg

The orange in the top shop would look so much better if it was matte.

And the actual car looks better than both of those.

I think the car should be barbie pink.

orange.jpg

Another one
malboro.jpg
Like them both. Personally I love the livery unveiled (albeit surpised they retained the silver as I saw Honda didn't want it as its the colours of Mercedes) but would have liked a White and Red car like the bottom one but done in a way that doesn't have a connection to Marlboro. I was thinking Red sidepods, front and rear wings and mirrors with the rest of the car white.

As McLaren have been my team since Hakkinen/Coulthard in the late 90's when I was a kid I'm interested to see how Honda cope.

I like both, anything is better than what they've shown, heck the Force India looks more Mclaren-y.

I'd like to see the first one on track, just with better example of McLaren orange. The second one is nice too, but it's quite obvious why they did't make it.

I detect high levels of rose-tinted spectacles in the area.
Is it so egregious to want a livery that's distinctive with perhaps a nod to history for a racing team with over 50 years of it in F1? I can't speak for all of us protesters, but I don't want a Marlboro clone livery, I want something idiosyncratic, something fresh, something that can be easily identified on the grid, with perhaps a nod Honda (or at least distances itself away from Mercedes). A lot of the mockups fulfilled just that, but instead McLaren continue to strive to be more boring than an accounting firm and reveal the same drab trite colour scheme as Force India.

It's so obvious that these paint schemes are being thought up by the engineers rather than artistic people. Almost like its an afterthought which I guess is fine when results matter but it would have been good if they put as much effort into the paintwork.

It's so obvious that these paint schemes are being thought up by the engineers rather than artistic people. Almost like its an afterthought which I guess is fine when results matter but it would have been good if they put as much effort into the paintwork.

You think engineers are responsible for the liveries? I find that hard to believe. Out of curiosity, I wonder who it is that actual does this in each team. They should have the guys/gals that design and paint helmets do the cars, there are some really cool helmets around 👍

You think engineers are responsible for the liveries? I find that hard to believe. Out of curiosity, I wonder who it is that actual does this in each team. They should have the guys/gals that design and paint helmets do the cars, there are some really cool helmets around 👍

Obviously not all of them historically but the majority of bland designs seem to have been thought up in house based on what colours sponsors are with very little creativity mixed in and I doubt they have a full time graphics department for one livery.

It's clearly not the people who do the helmets because they come up with very interesting stuff!

Last edited:
McLaren are currently believed to be "aggressively" chasing a £50 million, multi-year title sponsor deal. They won't settle for just anyone, though; they have always wanted a title sponsor that fits with their ethos.

It wouldn't make much sense to make radical changes to the livery while negotiating, especially if they are being very specific as to what they want from a deal - it might send the wrong message to the company they are in talks with.

So there may well be a livery change to come? And a title sponsor to fit with their ethos? If I was as rich as Bill Gates and offered to pay them $500 million to race a car with a huge picture of Hitler making out with Stalin on the side, would that fit with their ethos? Because I'd be inclined to accept that offer if I were them, however controversial that livery might be.*

*Although really, of course, that livery would be making an entirely valid artistic statement deeply in opposal to both tyrants.

Is it so egregious to want a livery that's distinctive with perhaps a nod to history for a racing team with over 50 years of it in F1? I can't speak for all of us protesters, but I don't want a Marlboro clone livery, I want something idiosyncratic, something fresh, something that can be easily identified on the grid, with perhaps a nod Honda (or at least distances itself away from Mercedes). A lot of the mockups fulfilled just that, but instead McLaren continue to strive to be more boring than an accounting firm and reveal the same drab trite colour scheme as Force India.

I'm not reffering you, I'm reffering to the people that want exactly a Marlboro Livery clone or McLaren to go back to Orange "Just because".

I'd say the first is close enough for the EU Court to come sniffing around accusing McLaren of subliminal marketing.

So there may well be a livery change to come?
Maybe. But then again, maybe not. Even if they land the sort of deal that they're after, they could still keep the silver, black and red if they feel that it best represents them.

At this point, I think it's safest to assume that McLaren will see the season out with the current livery.

So there may well be a livery change to come? And a title sponsor to fit with their ethos? If I was as rich as Bill Gates and offered to pay them $500 million to race a car with a huge picture of Hitler making out with Stalin on the side, would that fit with their ethos? Because I'd be inclined to accept that offer if I were them, however controversial that livery might be.*

*Although really, of course, that livery would be making an entirely valid artistic statement deeply in opposal to both tyrants.

Exactly, I don't believe any Formula 1 team in need would be above taking money from a slightly more shady or ethically murky company.

If I was as rich as Bill Gates and offered to pay them $500 million to race a car with a huge picture of Hitler making out with Stalin on the side, would that fit with their ethos?
No. For one, that's not in keeping with their business practices. And secondly, assuming McLaren agreed to it (which they wouldn't), the FIA would likely object.

McLaren like companies that they can forge a long-term relationship with, and usually one that they can get more than money from. They like companies that have the best practice, and are globally-recognised. They like a company that can work with their technical partners, and they tend to avoid lots of little sponsors.

Here are some examples of how McLaren could adopt a white and red livery whithout retaining Marlboro's exact design.
mclaren_mp4_30_by_k00l0-d8f4urj.jpg

size_810_16_9_mc-laren-carro.jpg

Last time a Honda team went like that with white and red the floundered at the back. You may remember them as Super Aguri...let's not give McLaren that bad omen.

orange.jpg

Another one
This is so much better. I'm really disappointed by the HRT livery style.
The car may be fast but it's fugly!
Here are some examples of how McLaren could adopt a white and red livery whithout retaining Marlboro's exact design.
mclaren_mp4_30_by_k00l0-d8f4urj.jpg

size_810_16_9_mc-laren-carro.jpg
This is how it should have been. I don't get the silver with Honda? What's the point?
Ron Dennis.
meh.
When they said white and red livery, I was dreaming of this:
2015-McLaren-Honda-F1-car-597x316-597x316.jpg

But then, possibly silver/grey-West coloured, I really hope there would be a bit of orange colour:
mclarenconcept.jpg
How many great ideas wasted.

Last edited:
I'm really getting old then.
I don't understand where the disappointment is coming from, myself. McLaren never promised a new livery. They have never said anything to suggest that they would introduce one. And speculation is rife, year in and year out, of a new livery; speculation that has never amounted to anything. There is some extremely interesting stuff on the MP4-30, like the rear suspension geometry and the very tight packaging - the stuff that makes the car the most interesting on the grid.

But all anyone can do is throw a tantrum over the way McLaren haven't done something that they never said that they would do. You say you're "getting old", but in reality, you're behaving like a spoilt child.

Latest Posts

Back