Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
Really? You're going to put orange logos on an orange background?

It could just be just the Tropicana text:

TropPurePremiumLogo+(1).jpg

Wouldn't blend in with the Orange.

If their sponsorship situation is akin to last year, running in orange may not make any difference in those regards.

Is that the confirmed suit for 2015? My guess is that it is a 'winter test' interim one until the reveal.

As a Ferrari fan, I both love and hate McLaren's current (similar to our own) downfall.

Also yes McLaren-Honda dominated once before but, the most recent time Honda was in the sport, they didn't do so well, and McLaren hasn't won a race for 2 years.

So yes, it could be a successful partnership, but let's not pretend they're gonna win just because they both once did before.

In terms of the sport I'd prefer to see McLaren and Ferrari battling it out, true F1 giants going at it, instead of Mercedes & Red Bull, who would let's face it, seriously consider to drop F1 if they hand't won a title for as long as either Macca or Fezza's current drought(s).

Additionally Honda, they could be magnificent, and beat Merc or at least Renault & Ferrari. Or they could end up for 2015 anyway, having the worst engine of the 4, and McLaren would have given away the best engine for the worst.

All in all it's an interesting situation. Also as a red man, and someone who's gravitated to Alonso over the last few years, it hurts to see him back at the old rival (if I was a football fan I'd probably say the scum :P) again. I hope he drives well, but DNF's every race :P (That is humour, not flaming anyone, before someone gets upset).

Last edited:
A very reasonable statement, coming from a tiffoso that is ! ;) :cheers:

But seriously, well put, although I think RBR and Mercedes to be more resilient than what you think. Maybe a bit more than BMW.

Alonso did an epic career at Ferrari, he was never champion but it can be argued that he was the best driver on the grid in all those years. Sadly, nobody will remember this 20 years from now, all they'll see is the 4 consecutive titles by that old fat guy in the paddock, something Vettel.

Honda, McLaren and Alonso, all for different reasons, have a very important season ahead. Not saying it's a "make or break" but it is, as you say, an interesting situation.

RedBull won't be as likely as Mercedes are to suddenly have a strop over not winning and drop out. Like BMW did.

Merc, BMW, Renault/Lotus etc are/were all in F1 to sell cars. Redbull are in it to sell soft drinks. Not doing well reflects badly on the road cars you're trying to sell on Monday morning. Redbull not winning just doesn't create quite as much publicity (free advertising) as winning does. Which is not as big a deal.

I feel sorry for Alonso. I honestly doubt that this year's McLaren is going to be a revelation, and he's been consistently let down by the cars Ferrari have built these past few years, only held on by his own driving ability. I think he deserves at least another title before he retires, but I'm ever more doubting he will get one.

So yes, it could be a successful partnership, but let's not pretend they're gonna win just because they both once did before.

Sadly, yes. They will not.

Instead, they will win because Alonso.

Alonso. Alonso. Alonso.

-

Also, because Alonso.

-

Does that Spanish page say the Honda has 70 horses less than the Mercedes motor? Shame.

Still. Alonso.

Mercedes were running in Grand Prixs (?) Before Ferrari even existed. They are entitled to be there as much as anyone else.

Sadly, yes. They will not.

Instead, they will win because Alonso.

Alonso. Alonso. Alonso.

-

Also, because Alonso.

-

Does that Spanish page say the Honda has 70 horses less than the Mercedes motor? Shame.

Still. Alonso.
I don't think it did mention that, why not?

Starts with an A

Someone remind me what Santander's corporate colours are again? ;)

And Honda's....

You forget, Merc pulled a massive hissy fit in 2012, after being around for a full 3 years and not winning.

Yes as a name it was around once before. But in it's current entity it is a new boy, effectively a different organisation to 1955.

But you missed my point, which wasn't essentially about longevity, but that Merc & Red Bull would pull out due to non-success way before the reds or the silvers would. Ferrari threaten it all the time of course, but they would never actually do it.

Merc & Red Bull, very much would and I believe the Merc board only just voted to stay around back in 2012, and Matesitz (wrong spelling probably) verrrry nearly pulled the plug on Red Bull's F1 efforts mid season last year.

You forget, Merc pulled a massive hissy fit in 2012, after being around for a full 3 years and not winning.

Yes as a name it was around once before. But in it's current entity it is a new boy, effectively a different organisation to 1955.

But you missed my point, which wasn't essentially about longevity, but that Merc & Red Bull would pull out due to non-success way before the reds or the silvers would. Ferrari threaten it all the time of course, but they would never actually do it.

Merc & Red Bull, very much would and I believe the Merc board only just voted to stay around back in 2012, and Matesitz (wrong spelling probably) verrrry nearly pulled the plug on Red Bull's F1 efforts mid season last year.
Merc yes, but don't compare Redbull who have more foundations in Current Motorsport then any other team by a insurmountable margin.

also source on your RedBull claim?

Looking at other engine suppliers is not what i would call leaving the sport, once they realised they couldn't get one without playing second Fiddle to a Works team they bolstered Renaults Operations.

I very much doubt that Mateschitz considered walking away from Formula 1 on the back of a slump in form. Especially since the team proved to be reasonably competitive all season long. Whatever the shortcomings of the Renault engine, the RB10 was such a good chassis that Ricciardo was simply able to drive through the engine flaws.

Red Bull will stay in the sport as long as it makes sense for them commercially. Which given the massive amount of coverage and press that they receive, and would continue to receive especially if they were to have a massive slump in form, I don't see them going anywhere any time soon. There's no way they considered backing out after last season, second in the constructors and third and fifth in the drivers championships is hardly awful.

Merc and Red Bull can conceivably still be getting their money's worth out of running an F1 team even if they're not winning, in the form of advertising coverage. That's not really true of McLaren. McLaren has a "production" car side to them now, but it's hardly the sort of thing that needs advertising. McLaren the race team more or less stands or falls on it's own success, they can't point to other concerns as justification for their continued existence if they can't turn a profit on the track.

Maybe their recent push into production cars is an attempt to change that, to create something that could be used to carry the race team through a rough spell. It's probably not there yet, though.

Selling cars to race ... if that's their policy, such ethos will definitely make McLaren the british equivalent to Ferrari. (Edit - of old. Nowadays I suspect Ferrari races to sell cars)

Back