Honda S660- pics of production version undisguised.

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 195 comments
honda-s660-concept-at-2013-tokyo-motor-show_100446652_l.jpg
Is that a concept for a new Honda Life in the background?

I would normally hate the design of concepts like this, but somehow I like this one. I have no idea why.

Honda's styling isn't bad at all. If only they had bigger engines and rear wheel drive... Only then will I like Honda.

Leaked brochure images of production S660.

4123d0ad.jpg
6b656e47-s.jpg
f94694f3-s.jpg
f32082f3-s.jpg

Info on the production version of the leaked brochure.

3395 mm long, 1475 mm wide and 1180 mm tall. And will be 830 kg (1830 lbs) .

It will be powered by a 3-cylinder engine with 63hp and 77 lb-ft of torque. And have a 6-speed manual or an optional continuously variable transmission. And the vehicle can hit a top speed of 140 km/h (87 mph).

Too heavy to even be fast by kei car standards.

Kei car regulations need to allow for more power, since 1990 cars have had to carry alot more safety equipment.

Too heavy to even be fast by kei car standards.

Kei car regulations need to allow for more power, since 1990 cars have had to carry alot more safety equipment.

You got that right. My '05 Charade 1.0 was in the 700kg class.

But will it come to America?
Kei cars are not allowed in the U.S. Even if it was going to sold there (which is never), it would have a bumper that's bigger than the car itself due to U.S regulations and it would ruin the look of the car.

Kei cars are not allowed in the U.S. Even if it was going to sold there (which is never), it would have a bumper that's bigger than the car itself due to U.S regulations and it would ruin the look of the car.
Which is what I don't get about U.S. regulations. Kei cars, while small, are still much safer than riding a motorcycle, and carry airbags.

Just as long as that driver doesn't get himself into a wreck (as all drivers should), kei cars are plenty safe.

Wouldn't Smart cars fit the example of Kei car?

Kinda disappointed actually. I expected it to be a Kei Car, however just 69hp? I was at least expecting twice that.
Wasn't this even thought to be a contender against the GT86? Could be wrong though.

Which is what I don't get about U.S. regulations. Kei cars, while small, are still much safer than riding a motorcycle, and carry airbags.

Just as long as that driver doesn't get himself into a wreck (as all drivers should), kei cars are plenty safe.

Wouldn't Smart cars fit the example of Kei car?
Its not just about occupant safety. Its about safety to pedestrians and other vehicles as well.

Kinda disappointed actually. I expected it to be a Kei Car, however just 69hp? I was at least expecting twice that.
Wasn't this even thought to be a contender against the GT86? Could be wrong though.

63bhp. And no. More of a Copen contender unless they go ahead with a rumoured 1.0 S1000 model. That may put it closer to the upcoming base-model MX-5.

What does Apple have to say about that screen? :sly:

Anyway, *rubs hands* please please put it in the line up down here. Gives me another option next to the Mustang and MX-5.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/sports/honda/honda-s660-takes-shape-47399
Compact mid-engined sports coupe ready for Japanese launch, and a more powerful version could come here
Honda will not confirm the launch of its hot new mid-engined S660 mini-coupe outside of Japan just yet. But then again, it’s not denying it either. And that’s good news.

Why? Because we’ve heard stories before about Japan-only models not headed to certain major markets but eventually finding their way onto container ships.

Remember the Honda Jazz, the compact car that debuted in Japan in 2001, but took three long years to reach the US? The S660 looks like following in the Jazz’s footsteps. But its overseas debut could be much sooner and looks like packing a far bigger punch that the Japan-spec model.

Honda revealed the S660 last year's Tokyo motor show and, as we revealed in May, hasconfirmed it for production by January, before first examples hit Japanese showrooms in February. However, while Honda Australia is keen on the S660, it is yet to be confirmed for introduction in any export markets.

The rear-wheel drive mini-coupe employs a mid-engined, turbocharged 660cc petrol engine generating upwards of 48kW mated to a choice of either six-speed manual or CVT gearboxes, the latter with flappy paddles.

That doesn't sound like much, but when you're talking about a coupe that weighs well under 900kg, 48kW takes on a whole new meaning.

And this is where the story gets interesting. For those in Japan and other Asian markets who feel that 47kW just isn't enough, Honda is working on a tweaked S660 that delivers around 66kW and incorporates the best from the company’s aeroparts bin.

As can be seen in this artist’s impression of what the souped-up S660 could look like, the coupe will employ a carbon-fibre front spoiler and rear wing as well as flared wheel-arches and larger wheels.

But to an international audience of sports car enthusiasts that expects more power and thrills — especially from a company that boasts the NSX, S2000 and Civic Type-R — Honda is planning an even more powerful export model.

In addition to the 66kW version of the Japan-spec S660, our sources have revealed that Honda R&D is currently testing an export model – rumoured to be called the S1000 — that will be fitted with a more powerful 1.0 litre turbocharged petrol engine, wider body and bigger wheels.

We tested just such an engine in a Civic prototype last year and it showed great promise and pace with more than 103kW. Obviously Honda’s racing arm Mugen (which is currently putting the final touches on the McLaren-Honda F1 engine for 2015) will have a pivotal role in fine-tuning the hottest S660.

Honda is very much aware of the next-generation Mazda MX-5, due to hit showrooms late next year. While there will also be a 2.0-litre developing around 125kW, the base model will come with a 1.5-litre engine offering around 100kW — right in the S1000’s ballpark.

Also fresh in Honda product planning’s collective mind will be the recent collaboration of Caterham and Suzuki, who combined forces to create the Seven 160, a Caterham powered by a Suzuki-built 60kW 660cc three-cylinder turbocharged petrol.

The S660 and S1000 will take the ballgame right up to Mazda and Suzuki with a sharp-looking, mid-engined coupe that will offer Honda’s famed handling and short-throw gearboxes.

But Honda is not stopping there. Remember the electric EV-STER concept that debuted at the 2011 Tokyo show? Strangely, or maybe not so, that coupe strongly resembled the S660.

So Honda may not have just built the S660 to accommodate small petrol engines, but also allowed for an EV powertrain to be dropped straight into its engine bay, thus creating a small electric city sports-commuter.

A mid-engined coupe with petrol and electric options? Could this be a sign of future things to come Honda? Expect the S1000 to emerge in early 2016 (around the same time the new NSX arrives in Australia) and the EV version to follow it by 2017.

Gotta love the Purple, how many cars nowadays offer Purple as a colour without aftermarket modifications?
But haven't really heard about Japan-exclusive cars after 2008 or so.

I kind of like it. I hate the way it looks, if I'm honest, but I like the idea. Is it turbo or normally aspirated? The old Honda Beat sounded pretty awesome with its 3 cylinder:

Kei cars can't have more then 63hp

If the engine is breathing through a very small intake manifold, it could be n/a. Either way, that much torque compared to power = low revving engine. Sad. :(
Not really, high revving engine with a Turbo entirely possible.

Not really, high revving engine with a Turbo entirely possible.

If the peak torque is higher than the peak power (lbs*ft and bhp units) almost universally the engine isn't high revving. I actually can't think of any engines that break that rule.

From a .66 liter engine? Remember the Beat was N/A and it only had like 40 pound feet.

For example, a restricter can drastically reduce power while not changing torque much. 70s American V8s produced basically the same torque as 60s American V8s but far less power because they couldn't rev due to huge restrictions on intake and exhaust.

For example, a restricter can drastically reduce power while not changing torque much. 70s American V8s produced basically the same torque as 60s American V8s but far less power because they couldn't rev due to huge restrictions on intake and exhaust.

But torque was roughly the same.
If they limit themselves to 660cc then there is no way they're going to make almost 80ft-lbs.
Cars normally make about 1ft-lb per CI, and even a racing engine isn't going to make much more than that, it'll just rev higher.

If the peak torque is higher than the peak power (lbs*ft and bhp units) almost universally the engine isn't high revving. I actually can't think of any engines that break that rule.
Any GT-R with a RB26DETT is a perfect example, what your saying only applies to N/A engines, a turbo can essentially bolted on to most engines high revving or not and Torque will increase substantially where ever the peak torque of the Turbo is acheived

-> ...
63bhp. And no. More of a Copen contender unless they go ahead with a rumoured 1.0 S1000 model. That may put it closer to the upcoming base-model MX-5.
^ If ever Honda has the guts to release a 1.0L more even more being shipped Globaly especially here in NA... :indiff:

Back