Honda S660- pics of production version undisguised.

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 195 comments
Wait, something said you won't be able to get it in the US?
We can't have it because it's a Kei car. Too small for the EPA (or who else, I completely forgot).

Because safety ratings, yo.

If we were actually able to have it in the US, it would end up being heavier and would have longer bumpers for pedestrian safety.

The only Kei car we have here that somehow is A OK with the 'guv is the Mitsubishi i MiEV.

Reminds me of the Renault Wind

Renault%20Wind%20(3).jpg

The Honda is a good looking car, would fit in perfectly with the numerous micro convertibles we have in Europe.

Reminds me of the Renault Wind

Renault%20Wind%20(3).jpg

The Honda is a good looking car, would fit in perfectly with the numerous micro convertibles we have in Europe.
I did feel that the S660 was a little bit french...
HEY JAPAN! EUROPE HAS AN AFFINITY FOR TINY CONVERTIBLES TOO! AND A BIT OF RUSSIA IS IN EUROPE!

-> ...
^ Thats too late, and thats for the demise of the NSX. While the Crosstour killed the S2000.

-> I've posted the HR-V simply because the both of them are released almost the same time...US gets the HR-V, JDM (& maybe EU) gets the S660 (or S1000).

:indiff:

-> ...

^ Thats too late, and thats for the demise of the NSX. While the Crosstour killed the S2000.

-> I've posted the HR-V simply because the both of them are released almost the same time...US gets the HR-V, JDM (& maybe EU) gets the S660 (or S1000).

The point I was trying to make is that we get boring cars.

-> ...
Then what killed the Beat? :lol:
^ This thing, in 1995.

JU2.jpg

The point I was trying to make is that we get boring cars.
^ I got you, I'm just following the flow here! :lol:

BT -> I quite like it! And I'm glad that the Copen will have a direct rival in the Kei-Sport market. I hope other JDM marques will follow suit.

-> Sure it may look like the Renault Wind at some point, but the S660 has all the right formula (MR, RWD, light, high-revs). I just hope that I could fit in one... :indiff:

Meanwhile, back in America....
@R1600Turbo -> Correction...
Blame your fellow countrymen. Japanese manufacturers don't want to limit kei cars to their own country - it's a very, very tenuous business model - but fear of anything smaller than a midsize sedan means it's too much of a risk exporting anything small. Only a few manufacturers really get away with it, and even then the market is pretty much saturated.
The only Kei car we have here that somehow is A OK with the 'guv is the Mitsubishi i MiEV.
That's because it's quite significantly modified to meet US regs. The American i-MiEV is longer and wider than the Japanese/European version.
Thats too late, and thats for the demise of the NSX. While the Crosstour killed the S2000.
Neither did either of those things. Obsolescence killed both.
Completely coincidental. And it's worth noting that Japan gets both the CR-V and the HR-V (as the Vezel) in addition to the S660.

Blame your fellow countrymen. Japanese manufacturers don't want to limit kei cars to their own country - it's a very, very tenuous business model - but fear of anything smaller than a midsize sedan means it's too much of a risk exporting anything small. Only a few manufacturers really get away with it, and even then the market is pretty much saturated.
I don't really think it's a fear of the car itself, it's more of a fear of getting hit by one of these:

f350-super-duty-dually.jpg

That's because it's quite significantly modified to meet US regs. The American i-MiEV is longer and wider than the Japanese/European version.
Japanese I Miev
Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-image.jpg

European I Miev
do-cap-image.aspx

'Murican I Miev
autowp.ru_mitsubishi_i_miev_evolution_1.jpg

On a more serious note, the American I Miev looks more like a Tata Nano. Albeit one that just had a few Big Macs.

Maybe the S660, if it comes to the US will look like a Slightly thinner NSX! :lol:

I don't really think it's a fear of the car itself, it's more of a fear of getting hit by one of these:
Well, true, but I'm sure you're well aware of the general attitude that anything that takes longer than about seven seconds to reach 60 is considered dangerously slow and that a small car is entirely inappropriate for that one time three years from now when I might need to shift some lumber.

I don't begrudge anyone buying the car they want to buy, but them's the general reasons why Americans shun small cars. Too dangerous, too slow, not useful enough.

So much contradicting news about this coming to Europe.

Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. 1 liter engine. No.

^ Thats normal, since Honda brings out 'real' sportcar very rarely.

-> But when they do, they do a decent job. :sly:

Carrying the S name makes me believe it's also a spiritual successor to the S500/600/800 series (and I guess the S2000?), not just the Beat.

^ The only Beat connection here is being a Kei-Sport and mid-engined. The S connection lies of being an open-top & a 2-seater.

Back