Honda to quit F1? - Now with added Brawn GP

• Thread starter darkfinal
  • 500 comments
the team were even surprised when they turned up to Barcelona and blasted everyone's times.

No they weren’t. :odd:

I recall Ross saying soon after they launched the car that they’d done simulations at Bahrain and Jerez and were surprised how slow the other cars were in those respective tests, even before the Brawn car had touched the race track.

Ardius, they were surprised because they didn't think others would be that slow - not because they didn't know how fast they themselves would be.

Because Honda knew that 2009 would bring in a raft of new regulations; after all, Ross Brawn raised the issue of the rear diffuser a year ago. They knew that 2008 was going to be a rough year, but come 2009, everything would be tabula rasa. So they abandoned development of the RA108 early on in its life cycle and poured all their energies into developing what would have been known as the RA109. They had at least six months' head start on the other teams, and probably more. Honda were always going to be quick because they had so much time to build a new racing car.

Yes, thats giving good reason to believe they will be good....but not knowing. It wasn't a written prophecy that Honda were going to be good and thats the point I am making.

No they weren’t. :odd:

I recall Ross saying soon after they launched the car that they’d done simulations at Bahrain and Jerez and were surprised how slow the other cars were in those respective tests, even before the Brawn car had touched the race track.

Well, ok, I remembered that wrong, but point is they didn't expect to be as far ahead of the other teams.

Ardius, they were surprised because they didn't think others would be that slow - not because they didn't know how fast they themselves would be.

Thats what I was trying to say, they were suprised that everyone else didn't manage to make cars as good.
Its essentially the same thing anyway.

If you all knew 100% that they were going to be this good and this much better than every other team, shouldn't you all be millionaires now from betting?

I never claimed I knew they'll be good - I actually doubted the Honda team quite a bit. I'm only saying, with hindsight, there were many hints foreshadowing this success.

I never claimed I knew they'll be good - I actually doubted the Honda team quite a bit. I'm only saying, with hindsight, there were many hints foreshadowing this success.

And I am only saying that no one knew they would be good and thats why we were surprised.
I agree there were hints and I agree its not entirely surprising in the sense of the team's (at least previous) resources in the building of this car.

But I am disagreeing with the suggested notion here that anyone truly thought Honda/Brawn stood any chance of being beyond midfield this year, sure some of us thought they would do well but not this well. If they did then shame on them for not placing a bet on them, because they'd be certainly a lot richer!

Yeah, well I’m annoyed I didn’t go to the bookies now, aren’t I? :lol:

A nice good look at the Brawn GP steering wheel:

0902-0021.jpg

I think the adjustments for the front wing is the lever to the left of the wheel? Can anyone confirm that?

I wonder if Brawn are going to run a full livery at all this season ... I'm guessing they won't have one for China as they were awaiting the FIA's verdict and may have been forced to change the bodywork if it didn't work out in their favour. And since there's only a week until Bahrain, I doubt they'll be able to get one together in time. So if the have one, it will probably be introduced at the Spanish Grand Prix.

Pardon the double-post, but I just found this: the signing of Brawn's this sponsor, Switzerland-based MIG Investments (a bit odd, given the current economic situation ...).
M I G Investments Partners with the BRAWN GP Formula One Team

16 April 2009

M I G Investments’ branding will appear for the first time today on the front wing of Brawn GP’s championship-leading BGP 001 car as it takes to the track for the first of the practice sessions ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix which takes place this weekend at the Shanghai International Circuit. The M I G Investments logo will feature on the racesuits of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello, and on the overalls of the Brawn GP race team, in the near future.

Ross Brawn, Team Principal at Brawn GP said: “We are delighted to welcome M I G Investments to Formula One and to the Brawn GP team. Our team has had a fantastic start to the 2009 Formula One season and we are very pleased to have secured our third new partnership today. In a difficult economic climate, it is a positive sign that the appeal of Formula One continues to attract new companies to invest in our sport. We look forward to working closely with M I G Investments to help drive global awareness of their brand through the powerful communications platform of Formula One.”

Hisham Mansour, CEO of M I G Investments commented: “We are extremely proud to be joining ranks with Formula One’s newest sensation, the Brawn GP team. This collaboration marks an important synergy between two young, innovative and ambitious teams, both leaders in our respective fields. We both share parallel formulas for success and believe strongly in the power of innovation, teamwork and dedication. Our partnership with Brawn GP is further testimony to our strong industry position and confidence. We look forward to a fruitful and rewarding relationship together.”
It's not much, bit if you look closely at the car, you can clearly see te MIG logo on the side of the front wing, and I think there's another one between the Virgin and Bridgestone logos on the nosecone.

With Brawn doing so good, coud this mean, if they get constructors and drivers title, all of the no.1 sponsors will be heading over to them? Or Honda buying their team back?

With Brawn doing so good, coud this mean, if they get constructors and drivers title, all of the no.1 sponsors will be heading over to them? Or Honda buying their team back?

The former may happen but I doubt it - many sponsors have contracts or are attached to drivers, so sponsors won't be switching teams but certainly they will be attracting some big name companies..."for sure" :lol:

Honda made their decision, although they probably regret it they did it for a very good reason and I doubt they will go back on it - they've already sunk a lot of money paying Ross, why would they even consider going back to spend yet more huge amounts of money?
Quite simply, Honda's organisational structure didn't work as an F1 team and I think they perhaps realised this when they hired Brawn and he started cleaning the team up. I doubt they will be back for the forseable future as a race team.

They may return as an engine supplier, but again, doubtful because of the economic environment.

And would Brawn be willing to sell his team back to them?

Not a bloody chance. He's got a good thin going; he's not going to give it up after just one year.

I agree with Super Numbber that we should just make this the Brawn GP thread... PJ you're just desperate, but that's an idea...

Do you guys think that we should post a thread for news, info, etc. for each constructor? If so, I call Red Bull. Just for the hell of it.

I don't think a thread on news for each constructor is necessary. Most of what happens gets covered in the threads on individual races, and if it's something of an aside like Flav's recent comments about Brawn or Honda's imminent withdrawl from the sport, they'll warrant their own threads. Threads dedicated to individual teams would just clutter up the subforum and eventually get forgotten and lost. That's what social groups are for.

Well, maybe not news on each constructor but just a discussion on the performance of those constructors in each race. Except a force india thread, it would die within hours :lol:

Well, maybe not news on each constructor but just a discussion on the performance of those constructors in each race. Except a force india thread, it would die within hours :lol:

Really? I think they have a lot to discuss personally, they are doing things better than Ferrari ;)
We already discuss each constuctor plenty in the current GP threads and elsewhere, I see no reason why we need whole threads dedicated to them.

At least for all the teams that have shocked us this year referring to results. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Red Bull, Toyota, Brawn. It would divide up the news and discussion about each in an organized manner. I call the ferrari and mclaren threads.

Don't bother, it's not going to happen. Not every piece of news is going to be worthy of discussion, and it's more likely that those that are will get their own dedicated threads because people aren't going to go wandering through pages and pages of stuf simply to find one news story. The current system works, and if it ain't broke, you don't go fixing it. There's no need to re-invent the wheel, esecially when he end product is square as opposed to circular.

Besides, if you go ahead and create them, the moderators are probably going to close it.

Back