Horizon Zero DawnPS4 

Bought this today on the PSN and pre ordered Nier Automata at the same time. Still about 100 minutes to finish downloading though, getting impatient.

Amazing game. I'm too lazy to write a lot right now so I'll just copy something I posted elsewhere :).

I'm 25 hours in - only at 27% completion and more than a third of the map still uncovered, skipping temporarily or permanently a fair number of errands and smaller activities since that's only my thing to a limited extent - and so far I'm just about ready to declare this deserving of a spot next to The Witcher 3 as my favourite open world games ever.

To my preferences I much prefer the story, characters and many quests in TW3 - but HZD is certainly not bad at all in those areas (and I do love the tech post-apocalyptic aspects, a breath of fresh air after too much traditional fantasy) - and until now TW3 also had what I considered one of the most gorgeous and varied game worlds I had ever seen.

HZD takes that to the next level though with spectacularly beautiful and incredibly varied landscapes. And the combat gameplay is far beyond TW3 and most other games in choices, variety and sheer fun. One reason I haven't gotten further than I have in 25 hours is because I frequently just run around in the landscape and hunt robots for fun (well, also for stuff to sell and craft with).

Yes, the guy who said HZD borrows a hell of a lot more or less directly from Far Cry is not wrong, but personally I very much enjoyed Far Cry 2, 3 and Primal (didn't get very far in 4, the landscape was mostly utterly bland. The unspoiled nature of Primal was a huge breath of fresh air - as is HZD obviously).

Last edited:
Just had my first crash... I was riding along on my Broadhead mount and saved at another campfire when a battle started between one of those flying machines and the Carja. Right before I jumped in to help the game crashed.

edit:

Amazing game. I'm too lazy to write a lot right now so I'll just copy something I posted elsewhere :).

I'm 25 hours in - only at 27% completion and more than a third of the map still uncovered, skipping temporarily or permanently a fair number of errands and smaller activities since that's only my thing to a limited extent - and so far I'm just about ready to declare this deserving of a spot next to The Witcher 3 as my favourite open world games ever.

To my preferences I much prefer the story, characters and many quests in TW3 - but HZD is certainly not bad at all in those areas (and I do love the tech post-apocalyptic aspects, a breath of fresh air after too much traditional fantasy) - and until now TW3 also had what I considered one of the most gorgeous and varied game worlds I had ever seen.

HZD takes that to the next level though with spectacularly beautiful and incredibly varied landscapes. And the combat gameplay is far beyond TW3 and most other games in choices, variety and sheer fun. One reason I haven't gotten further than I have in 25 hours is because I frequently just run around in the landscape and hunt robots for fun (well, also for stuff to sell and craft with).

Yes, the guy who said HZD borrows a hell of a lot more or less directly from Far Cry is not wrong, but personally I very much enjoyed Far Cry 2, 3 and Primal (didn't get very far in 4, the landscape was mostly utterly bland. The unspoiled nature of Primal was a huge breath of fresh air - as is HZD obviously).

HZD is so much like Witcher 3, the similarities are uncanny:

- Gorgeous visuals and environment (though HZD wins in both, admittedly - and this is from someone who played W3 on PC)
- some quests require you to follow tracks, search for clues, hunt down a lead...
- harvesting herbs... lots of herbs
- looting system (interesting that your inventory capacity is divided up, so you have to upgrade each to carry more in that category)
- crafting system
- upgrading equipment (Runes in W3)
- dialogue
- chatter from Aloy (just like Geralt)... they both even comment on the weather!
- limited climbing/parkour
- reading what a machine is weak to (Bestiary in W3)

Last edited:
LOL! This is getting ridiculous. I'm coming across more and more Sawtooths and some are respawning on old areas I've killed them. :/

Some are starting to play with me running away luring me down at the same time I cannot lure it as it is far away. Crazy AI coding as they'll hunt you on areas you think isn't possible. On extremely steep hills. One even took a big swipe at me high up on a rocky boulder area. It came closer up on the ledge.

I don't know what I fear the most so far, multiple Sawtooth's or several Snapmaw's. Felt like the opening of Jurassic World. Ridiculous! Crazy crazy scenery!

This game is getting better and better.

Heh, wanted to get close to see the sheer size of that thing. Think I got too close!

Last edited:
I love this game, I was really looking for it since it was unveiled in E3 and boy it exceed the expectations I had.

Scenario is really solid, I really like it, everything feel connected and on purpose, you learn more about the world you live in each quest you clear. Graphism are really awesome, except some minor texture bug there's nothing to say really for me. I'm omw to Meridien and I love it. The only thing that bother me a bit is the randomness (as far as I could see) for the weapon. I couldn't get my hands on freezing bow yet. Also close combat could be better, most of the time it's a mess and you dont really know what you're doing or at least I dont.

I like that they took some stuff from several game and compile it here, like climbing from AC, Outpost from FC, etc..

Also close combat could be better, most of the time it's a mess and you dont really know what you're doing or at least I dont.

I really like the close combat but it can be a bit slow sometimes when using the heavy attack R2 and the normal attack on R1. Buttons don't always respond. Same issue occurs when picking up plants and branches to make arrows.

Finished the side quest for Ravan (noble in Meridian) last night, that started simple and ended up being completely mental!

I really like the close combat but it can be a bit slow sometimes when using the heavy attack R2 and the normal attack on R1. Buttons don't always respond. Same issue occurs when picking up plants and branches to make arrows.
Some sort of weak spot targeting for Robots fighting would be nice, like you could target it with R3 then it will hit that part if you manage to get close enough to it. It just feels like you're hitting random and hope that it will target one of those vitals point you want to hit. Now all I do is trying to make them fall and then crit hit them but it's not much fun.

Some sort of weak spot targeting for Robots fighting would be nice, like you could target it with R3 then it will hit that part if you manage to get close enough to it. It just feels like you're hitting random and hope that it will target one of those vitals point you want to hit. Now all I do is trying to make them fall and then crit hit them but it's not much fun.
Apparently that's a part of the game design - you learn by trial an error where and how to attack.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/19/no...e-to-explore-these-things-by-trial-and-error/

No you didnt understood what I mean @MeanElf. There's already a system to target weak spot with your bow and to know what the weakness is, the trouble is that once you're in close combat, she just swing the spear widely and you can't control much of it except strong or weak attack. I would have like to be able to bring R3 up, target a part I want to destroy with my spears and attack that part. Afaik atm I can't do that and it annoy me a bit. Most of the weapon combines very nicely with R3 vision but not the spear. Spear is just wild swinging while avoiding your enemy hits. Maybe it will change lately or maybe I didnt saw something.

I think spear combat is considered - aside from stealth attacks - a last ditch resort in this game (also no new spears and as far as I know the only spear upgrades are through skills and a few quests). The main combat is supposed to be with bows, traps, tripwires and the other tools available.

I think spear combat is considered - aside from stealth attacks - a last ditch resort in this game (also no new spears and as far as I know the only spear upgrades are through skills and a few quests). The main combat is supposed to be with bows, traps, tripwires and the other tools available.
That would make sense, as the only combat style in history using short, thrusting spears as a main weapon was favoured by the pre-Roman empire Germanic tribes who also also used light shields to parry and block with. All other uses of spears were as long range attack or static defence in large armed formations.

Last edited:
Who has took on the Snapmaw's and lived? I didn't dare try it yet. I can only imagine how intense it is going to be on the hardest difficultly as the AI is getting smarter and more violent.

I did manage to get silly close to those Snapmaw's.

Who has took on the Snapmaw's and lived?

If those are the crocodile-esque things, the weakness to fire helps, there's a component on them that will explode and take a good % of their health off.

Finally turned my PS4 Pro back on to play Horizon after playing Zelda all weekend and my PS4 Pro died, RIP!

Just turned off whilst I was playing and is now dead. Won't power up now. Gutted, had only been playing a couple of minutes and was just enjoying how epic it is? Could be a 2 week wait before I get it back.

Who has took on the Snapmaw's and lived? I didn't dare try it yet. I can only imagine how intense it is going to be on the hardest difficultly as the AI is getting smarter and more violent.

I did manage to get silly close to those Snapmaw's.

I make liberal use of the tripcaster in combat preparation against big robo game (still getting the trip wires set up poorly sometimes and wasted too many, so I just bought the skill that lets you pick up and reuse them). Worked well in some of my first snapmaw battles.

If you don't mind potentially losing some XP points from lost kills, corruption arrows (from the war bow) can really soften up a herd. I watched four snapmaws pretty much doing all the work for me among themselves - they never even noticed me firing a few corruption arrows now and then at two of them. Then I dealt a few final bow blows and went to pick up all the loot.

I think out of all the things I have done in this game thus far, hunting Raccoon Skin is the most annoying. Raccoons are rarer than the other animals, so they're harder to find. Then you have to play the RNG game until you get the Skin. Hunted dozens of Raccoons just to get the skin...

Not sure whether using arrows will increase the chances of getting Bones or Skin, and whether using melee decreases the chances.

Oh man this game is fantastic, going to be tough not getting distracted when midterms arrive.

Question, do travel packs run out?

Also tempted to go into the photomode thread but I'm wary of spoilers.

Oh man this game is fantastic, going to be tough not getting distracted when midterms arrive.

The packs can run out as far is I know. Avoid photo thread if you don't want to get spoiled or wait until you are at least a bit further in the game.

The game is fantastic 👍

Yes, you do run out. Luckily supplies to make them are plentiful, and you find travel packs as loot (inside treasure boxes) quite often.

But, you can buy an unlimited fast travel bag from a merchant.

Back