How do YOU drift with the DFP?

One footed? Two footed?

One handed with one hand always on the shift knob?

Two handed shifting when nessessary?

Shifting knob vs paddle shifting?

How do YOU drift?

Usually two hands on the wheel and I only use my right foot.

I sometimes use one hand if I have just shifted or am about to shift.

This will probably be locked though =\

indeed. A similar thread was locked 2 weeks ago.
How do YOU drive with your DFP?

(odd the similarity between the two threads - from the content of the post down to the capitalization of the word YOU)

I do not mean to suggest that this topic is not one worth discussing (infact, much the contrary - it might be kind of interesting). But I do suggest it might make a better addition to THIS THREAD, rather than being an independent topic of discussion. It does not follow the exact same avenue of discussion, but more with wheel settings and usage. It would be a decent place for these opinions to accumulate.

I leave it to the mods. But I don't think it hurts to let this one grow, I've searched and found no similar (open) thread in the drift forum.

anyways...

I'm a left foot braker.
I keep two hands on the wheel as often as possible so I always have decent leverage regardless of the direction I wish to turn.
I use my right hand exclusively to shift - but in an odd way. I usually use the right paddle to upshift on straights. I use the shift-knob to downshift because I'm normally doing so during a feint maneuver - my left hand is seldom positioned correctly to use the paddle. In cases where my right hand is not on the right paddle, I use the shift-knob to upshift as well.

I love the DFP but, I still don't feel I'm good enough with the DS2 yet (still working the bugs out), I use both feet and mostly one hand on the wheel, and the other on the shifter(it's most important for me,(which gear I'm in) plus other arcade games got me in the habbit of it),

but as BL pointed out you should search, it's the best tool on here(think about it there are 83,000 people and counting on here, at least one has thought or is thinking about anything you might want to post a topic about(or already has),this is not a bad thing(unless you the type of person who has to post a topic).In the end searching might just make you a few new friends(with similar ideas/beliefs),and it's always nice to just jump on a boat, than have to build it.👍 :)

hehe sorry guys i had no idea that this topic had already been discussed before. if i would have known i would have never started a new thread.

fyi, i use 1 hand on the wheel and 1 hand on the shifter knob at all times. i also use one foot only (being a driver, i could never understand someone using both feet to operate a non-clutch pedal)

My hands are often positioned in Horizontal position when turning(I should correct that, cause it's not the right way to handle to wheel). I use my right foot only & shift with the knob. I sure don't have my right hand always on the knob. I would felt that I look like a n00b that way. :lol:

You can see how I drive in that video:
Lap in Tsukuba with the Driving Force Pro LIVE view

Got some pretty nice drifts there man. I drive the same way you do. I use only my left hand for steering. If I use my right hand at all, I feel like Im overgripping the wheel.

And by keeping it on the shifter at all times, I didnt mean I actually KEEP it on the shifter LOL. I meant that I use my right hand ONLY for the shifter.

I noticed that you sometimes let the wheel turn itself for the countersteer for some of the softer turns. I find it easier to do that as well. The wheel are already pointing in the direction they wanna go, right? :P Im still learning to get that 2nd countersteer down (the one that keeps the car from whipping to the opposite direction).

I usually use both hands, then take my hand off to change gears when I need to.
I use both feet for quicker reaction.

I play with both mt feet, Left hand on the wheel at all times and right on the knob at almost all times, unless I'm dominating then i drive like a granny LOL. If i get a phone call, and i dont have a bluetooth headset yet, i race with my right hand because i use my pinky and ring finger to change gears...

i hold the wheel 10 and 2 and only use one foot for gas and brake.

I never touch the shifter due to the fact there isn't a clutch or any benift to shifting manuely.

MustangRacer
i hold the wheel 10 and 2 and only use one foot for gas and brake.

I never touch the shifter due to the fact there isn't a clutch or any benift to shifting manuely.
i beg to differ.
autos always shift right at the begning of the redline. some cars make power past redline, and deep into it.
but, your not hurting me if your using auto. only you will be hurting yourself.

also the same with the guys who say they use only one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter at all times. i ask why? this is hurting your drifting, and driving both. you dont see f1 drivers driving with only one hand on the wheel do you?

Left foot braking, two hands on the wheel (usually at 2:47 :P).. I usually throw the wheel for winding (let go of the wheel and catch it at a suitable angle) and "climb" when I unwind.

Manual gearing with the stick, of course. There is a definite advantage to manual drifting.. not only to avoid shifting when you don't want it, but to control how much torque/power is on tap by choosing which rev range to use at any given moment.. When drifting, I can often stay on the redline bouncing for a while when an automatic would have thrown me up a gear and possibly made the rear wheels grip.. But that's for another thread (an existing one, preferrably) ;)

Both hands on the wheel at 10:00 and 2:00... I take my right hand off the wheel to shift... I left foot brake, when I need to, right foot brake the rest of the time (same in my real car)...

;)

Mr Deap
My hands are often positioned in Horizontal position when turning(I should correct that, cause it's not the right way to handle to wheel). I use my right foot only & shift with the knob. I sure don't have my right hand always on the knob. I would felt that I look like a n00b that way. :lol:

I just gotta ask if you are left handed? Im just wondering from the way u were changing gear on the straights.

Suzuki
i beg to differ.
autos always shift right at the begning of the redline. some cars make power past redline, and deep into it.
but, your not hurting me if your using auto. only you will be hurting yourself.
I do know this and i hold the shift button on upshifts to delay the shifting when i want to.

MustangRacer
I do know this and i hold the shift button on upshifts to delay the shifting when i want to.

Not the same thing at all... Besides, downshifting is more important to time correctly when in a drifting situation...

;)

Mr Deap

How come you look so relaxed when turning the wheel, for my steering wheel, the force feedback is so strong i feel im wrestling with my steering wheel when the car oversteers or when im drifting. :scared:

KiwiBoy
How come you look so relaxed when turning the wheel, for my steering wheel, the force feedback is so strong i feel im wrestling with my steering wheel when the car oversteers or when im drifting. :scared:

For the amount of video I made, it's quite normal you feel that way when you're watching my video. Almost all the video I made are done with the wheel(Except my battle against rac3rX & the secret to race fast video). I've done over 30 of them easily, not to mention that I don't put all my races in video. :lol:

I guess everyone play like this with time.

Mr Deap

ummm... can you tell me what car you are driving in this video? Sounds like a Miata to me, but it has the turbo boost gauge.

I don't have the shifter, only the paddles and I usually use both feet but for some reason I always catch myself using one hand, the other is sometimes steadying the dodgy table the wheel is on or sometimes it's just not doing anything.

I love the DFP but, I still don't feel I'm good enough with the DS2 yet (still working the bugs out), I use both feet and mostly one hand on the wheel, and the other on the shifter(it's most important for me,(which gear I'm in) plus other arcade games got me in the habbit of it),

but as BL pointed out you should search, it's the best tool on here(think about it there are 83,000 people and counting on here, at least one has thought or is thinking about anything you might want to post a topic about(or already has),this is not a bad thing(unless you the type of person who has to post a topic).In the end searching might just make you a few new friends(with similar ideas/beliefs),and it's always nice to just jump on a boat, than have to build it.👍 :)
yo you're right. i don't think that i can drift with the ds2 that well. i wish i had a DFP :(

Latest Posts

Back