how fast does bandwidth need to be in the future...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 57 comments
  • 3,613 views
Messages
421
Messages
Brainhulk
To deliver the same online fidelity as with offline? Will we see it in our lifetime?
 
I really don't think that bandwidth is so much of a problem as is lag from hopping across the net. I remember back in the day running NFS PU on a local network that was hard wired at just 10mb and it was flawless.

By comparison my Internet connection is faster than that by a factor of 2.5 but the ping time is still much slower on average than it was on the slower LAN connection.
 
I think it is already here. Just not everyone has the connection speeds yet. Ping also comes into it. It does not help when i host a server in Aus and Europeans keep joining and glitching all over the track. Even when I put Aus/NZ only in the lobby title, they still join. Main culprits 95% of the time is French and Spanish. When it is just Aus/NZ players we have very little lag problems at all.
 
I tend to think I have good internet (15dwn/5up) for my area, but I instantly think of my crap ping (average of 247). However, I never really notice lag, nor does anyone tell me. It's sorta weird as to which numbers to go off of, but GT tends to be with the Ping number, where my other games will be perfectly fine...
 
I give up.. How much is that a month?
 
Well, the average bandwidth in the US is 1.2 Meg's a second... The average in Japan in 65 Meg's a second... They can nearly stream a console game...

Frankly I don't think bandwidth will ever cap... We'll just keep finding more ways to push more data till the end of time...
 
Well, the average bandwidth in the US is 1.2 Meg's a second... The average in Japan in 65 Meg's a second... They can nearly stream a console game...

Frankly I don't think bandwidth will ever cap... We'll just keep finding more ways to push more data till the end of time...
I don't either. I also feel as if it's all one big scam, being limited down to hogwash and having to pay absurd amounts to be able to do things other get for pennies on the dollar...

I also feel about insurance and similar products where coverage/product depends only on how much you pay....
 
I don't either. I also feel as if it's all one big scam, being limited down to hogwash and having to pay absurd amounts to be able to do things other get for pennies on the dollar...

I also feel about insurance and similar products where coverage/product depends only on how much you pay....
You dont know too much about how business works do you lol?

Think about infrastructure costs for a moment...
 
With the bandwidth, I think you'll be needing a good 100 mbits or more if you want it to be equal to offline. The ping I can't really say anything about, though it should be low as mentioned above. 👍
 
Bandwidth and connection speed are separate things...
(ISP's tend to mix these up the most b.t.w.)

You call your ISP: "hey guys, my connection is SLOW"
ISP: "Whaddaya mean, you get 50Mb/second"
You: "yeah, but it takes 30 seconds before my commands reach their destination"
ISP: "Suck it up, we deliver what we promise" (but at the same time they are ripping you off)


Make sure YOU don't mix up "bandwidth and connection speed" when your call you ISP (not directed at anyone in this thread, just a general notice).
 
You dont know too much about how business works do you lol?

Think about infrastructure costs for a moment...
The only infrastructure costs are laying fiber, and frankly it needs to be done as much as roads need paving and power lines installed.

But it's privatized in the US so its way more expensive than it needs to be as corporations will charge what ever people are willing to pay and provide the minimum... Just like ridiculously expensive cable TV that runs on 90's tech...

Up until 'smart phones' US cell phone tech was 10 years behind Europe... They have been on 3G for over a decade, and we thought it was new just a few years ago...

You're right, its business, but it's rather poor service taking advantage of the ignorant.
 
Bandwidth is not an issue anymore, its about the connection quality and routing.
Basically optic fiber cable is the best bet, but still, its difficult for example to play with people from the other part of the world because the path and routing the data has to make is huge. And its not about traveling at the speed of light, because the data has to be processed in many places until it reaches destination. Thats why its better to play with people as close to you as you can.
 
Bandwidth is not an issue anymore, its about the connection quality and routing.
Basically optic fiber cable is the best bet, but still, its difficult for example to play with people from the other part of the world because the path and routing the data has to make is huge. And its not about traveling at the speed of light, because the data has to be processed in many places until it reaches destination. Thats why its better to play with people as close to you as you can.


Yep, it is hard to get a good race when you are on track with someone on the other side of the globe with a 700+ ping hopping through 30 countries and as many servers before it gets to you, and then it has to bounce all the way back again. And then packets also get lost on the way to compound matters.

Stick to lobbies which have a host flag near your location boys and girls for now. :p
 
I think it is already here. Just not everyone has the connection speeds yet. Ping also comes into it. It does not help when i host a server in Aus and Europeans keep joining and glitching all over the track. Even when I put Aus/NZ only in the lobby title, they still join. Main culprits 95% of the time is French and Spanish. When it is just Aus/NZ players we have very little lag problems at all.

Not in my experience Sub....I have ADSL2, generally running at ping of about 40ms, download about 3.5mbps and upload of about .7

We only run AUS and NZ lobbies and are having all sorts of issues with lag. We had a guy test host last night, he runs about 15mbps download and about 8 on the upload. Not sure of his ping. He wa all over the place, and then we lost half the field as they pitted.

None of it makes sense, how its fine one week, then 🤬 the next. Even drivers who have raced with no issues in the past, all of a sudden are incompatible, without either making any changes to their setups...i dont get it !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned, and it applies to virtually all games with online, ping time is more important than bandwidth. In GT games, there really isn't a lot of data to send to and recieve from other players, what's more important however, is how quickly you and other players can send that data back and forth to each other.

Anywhere below 100ms is good enough, below 50 is pretty good and 30ms and lower is what you really want. Ping times though are mostly affected by the distance the data has to travel, and the amount of servers that data has to hop across to reach it's destination.

Thankfully my city is riddled with frequently upgraded fibre networks and cabinets, I'm sitting on 130mbps down (i.e, a 1Gb update takes about 58 seconds) and soon they're to upgrade me for free to over 200mb; ping times across the UK range from 4-12ms, East coast America in 80ms, West coast in 140ms, and the furthest distant part of Europe is under 100ms. Doesn't mean I have lag free races all the time though, especially if someone else in the room has a bad connection.
 
I think it is already here. Just not everyone has the connection speeds yet. Ping also comes into it. It does not help when i host a server in Aus and Europeans keep joining and glitching all over the track. Even when I put Aus/NZ only in the lobby title, they still join. Main culprits 95% of the time is French and Spanish. When it is just Aus/NZ players we have very little lag problems at all.

Same for the opposite sadly. When I create an online lobby I usually need to kick (even if I dont want to) the Aus/NZ players if they join because they are too far away, they almost always cause lag problems
 
Latency or ping all depends on the physical distance the packets have to travel between two points (you and the server), speed has nothing to do with improving latency.
 
ping times across the UK range from 4-12ms, East coast America in 80ms, West coast in 140ms, and the furthest distant part of Europe is under 100ms. Doesn't mean I have lag free races all the time though, especially if someone else in the room has a bad connection.
I just don't understand how I have a ping of 240+. Does being it a wireless connection affect the ms rates?
 
Wireless will always have higher ping than wired
 
Get your isp to setup your line with a gamer profile. This way you get the lowest possible ping.
 
I just don't understand how I have a ping of 240+. Does being it a wireless connection affect the ms rates?

Wireless certainly doesn't help, but it shouldn't add too much latency. It's more likely down to your line or router. Do you know how far away your house is from the nearest telephone exchange? Do you also know how you are connected to the exchange (ADSL2+, is it using local loop unbundling)?. A website called SamKnows will tell you all of this information.

There are tests that you can do with the master socket in you home, and also ones that show all of the statistics of your router and line (such as how much noise is on the line). You would do better to google this information than have me explain it to you though, I don't think I'd do a very good job at it unfortunately, sorry.

I would recommend phoning your internet service provider, explain to them that you have unexceptably high ping times and ask for them to try and sort it out for you, they will give you advice on the above and either try and fix it from their end or send an engineer out to you. Try staying away from paying for anything though, if your connection is poor and it's their fault, they should do it for free.
 
Last edited:
Not in my experience Sub....I have ADSL2, generally running at ping of about 40ms, download about 3.5mbps and upload of about .7

We only run AUS and NZ lobbies and are having all sorts of issues with lag. We had a guy test host last night, he runs about 15mbps download and about 8 on the upload. Not sure of his ping. He wa all over the place, and then we lost half the field as they pitted.

None of it makes sense, how its fine one week, then 🤬 the next. Even drivers who have raced with no issues in the past, all of a sudden are incompatible, without either making any changes to their setups...i dont get it !


Yes, I have been getting some problems with also even playing locally. I usually put that down to bad routing and packet loss, it is the only explanation I can think of.

Were you running fixed room ownership? I believe when the ownership is fixed everyone connects to the host and he acts as a server for the lobby. If it is not fixed ownership I believe everyone connects to each other more p2p style.

Maybe having fixed room ownership may be the way to go to get a more steady connections in future. I will need to experiment.

Same for the opposite sadly. When I create an online lobby I usually need to kick (even if I dont want to) the Aus/NZ players if they join because they are too far away, they almost always cause lag problems

Yeah, it would make life easier at the moment if Aussies/NZ stayed off Euro lobbies and vise versa. :]
 
I only have 2mb of download speed. 1 for upload. I rarely notice lag or weird things happening when I'm playing online (the only few times I did). No one ever told me my car was doing weird stuff or lagging either.
 
It's all about ping and jitter related to a host. If we had LAN capabilities, it would essentially be just like single player.

Imagine if we all had quantum entangled connections, then the only limiting factor would be exactly how precise you'd want to render positional data... but that's some sci-fi stuff.
 
If you are able to get a fibre connection, do so. ADSL/VDSL sucks if you compare between the two.
 
MY connection is 125mg down 12mg up, it really isnt a case of bandwidth its a case of having a constant connection with no spikes and a good ping, nat type is important as well.

A solid connection of 10mg without spikes will be better than a 50mg connection that has peaks and troughs.
 
MY connection is 125mg down 12mg up, it really isnt a case of bandwidth its a case of having a constant connection with no spikes and a good ping, nat type is important as well.

A solid connection of 10mg without spikes will be better than a 50mg connection that has peaks and troughs.


What is mg?

edit : nvm, i guess you mean mg>meg>mb
 
What is mg?

edit : nvm, i guess you mean mg>meg>mb


Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.
People mixing up and not using terms the right way.

It is "Mega bits per second" (small letter b means bits) or "Mega Bytes per second" (capital letter B means Bytes) not megs, mgs or mg.


Bandwidth (how many cars can drive on the same bit of road) vs Latency (the speed at which those cars can drive)



Really people, stop talking like my girlfriend, trying to explain offside....
 
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.
People mixing up and not using terms the right way.

It is "Mega bits per second" (small letter b means bits) or "Mega Bytes per second" (capital letter B means Bytes) not megs, mgs or mg.


Bandwidth (how many cars can drive on the same bit of road) vs Latency (the speed at which those cars can drive)



Really people, stop talking like my girlfriend, trying to explain offside....


yeah, I kept reading milligram every time I saw .mg
 
Back