How Gran Turismo 7 Benefits from PlayStation 5: Fast Loading, Better Audio, and More

Alot of PS5 games seem to be current PS4 games in 4K abit of Ray-tracing, minor affects and faster loading.

Guess there currently using their PS4 game engines.

The 3D audio in particular is interesting, because it seems it's all virtualised internally. There appear to be no "channels" to speak of, except for the individual sound sources themselves. This is a good sign they have a flexible internal representation that can be adapted to almost any output format or "channel" configuration.

90197705_645718919539059_395957342870437888_n.png

Sinc resampling is high quality and will avoid aliasing for any sounds that are pitch shifted and / or compressed in terms of sample rate (vs. the output rate). It also avoids certain "ringing" effects in the FFT and convolution steps to come, and allowing the best use of their power.

The HRTF is sampled temporally - i.e. it is varied smoothly over time, which is good, as it means that it captures source and listener movement (with respect to the virtual sound field) much more crisply. The "ramps", then, are just cross-fades to this effect. Notice that the HRTF is also interpolated over the "listening sphere" co-ordinates, rather than just picking coefficients from the nearest neighbour, which also improves the crispness.

The crosses are convolution operations, because what the HRTF effectively represents is a frequency response. This is analogous to the impulse response you get with certain reverb plugins for example, but the HRTF is in the frequency domain and the reverb is in the time domain. The accumulator just finishes the job, separated likely for efficiency.

FFT and IFFT are Fast Fourier Transforms (and their inverse) to convert the sounds between the normal time domain that we listen to them in, and the frequency domain (like a spectrum plot, or spectrogram), where heavyweight filtering operations of this specific nature are just faster and easier.

Note that each output channel needs its own spatial mix (e.g. left or right headphone, surround etc.), and it's not actually clear here how (or if?) Sony will achieve this for constant computational cost, no matter the number of output channels.

Not worth paying like £550+ for it though if it stays like this.
While I want to see more before I'm convinced of a day 1 purchase the graphics are not what I am concerned about. My biggest concern is that it features a good career mode since I found both GT5 and GT6 lacking earlier GT's in this regard. Graphically, I have no issue with what we've seen so far, overall it looks like a good leap forward and is pretty much what I expected.

While I want to see more before I'm convinced of a day 1 purchase the graphics are not what I am concerned about. My biggest concern is that it features a good career mode since I found both GT5 and GT6 lacking earlier GT's in this regard. Graphically, I have no issue with what we've seen so far, overall it looks like a good leap forward and is pretty much what I expected.
Just saying that, while the trailer has made some fans happy in certain aspect like the return of Tuning, Kaz said the one that especially should make fans happy is the campaign mode..... of course not saying it's true because it's not proven but just saying.
BTW what would make a good career for you, as you've given an example of those lacking in GT5 & GT6?

Just saying that, while the trailer has made some fans happy in certain aspect like the return of Tuning, Kaz said the one that especially should make fans happy is the campaign mode..... of course not saying it's true because it's not proven but just saying.
BTW what would make a good career for you, as you've given an example of those lacking in GT5 & GT6?
I always look back at GT3 has having one of the best careers, in that every car in the game felt like it had a purpose, there were events it could compete in. Even your first FF car could compete at several levels as you tuned it.

GT4 had a wider variety of events but I felt there was less structure and there were fewer places for many cars to compete in due to how much the car count increased, including oddities, and while the even count was high it wasn’t high enough for the car count.

I would like prize cars for completing events back, I always found the multiple prize cars for each event in earlier titles added replayability to each event. I want the game to reward progress by more then just Cr which is uniform across every race.

They need to balance the games economy and reward right, FM7 felt soulless and ended up being boring to me. It threw cars at me left right and centre early on, I didn’t have to earn a McLaren F1. In GT5, GT6 and GT Sport some cars are far too expensive so I never get them. I haven’t purchased a single 20m Cr car in any of those games despite owning all 3 games. So it needs to reward people, probably not as fast as FM7 did, but enough to make people that can’t pour a hundred hours a week into it feel rewarded.

We should grind events we enjoy replaying rather than for Cr, so there will hopefully be a huge variety of events to enter.

I always look back at GT3 has having one of the best careers, in that every car in the game felt like it had a purpose, there were events it could compete in. Even your first FF car could compete at several levels as you tuned it.

GT4 had a wider variety of events but I felt there was less structure and there were fewer places for many cars to compete in due to how much the car count increased, including oddities, and while the even count was high it wasn’t high enough for the car count.

I would like prize cars for completing events back, I always found the multiple prize cars for each event in earlier titles added replayability to each event. I want the game to reward progress by more then just Cr which is uniform across every race.

They need to balance the games economy and reward right, FM7 felt soulless and ended up being boring to me. It threw cars at me left right and centre early on, I didn’t have to earn a McLaren F1. In GT5, GT6 and GT Sport some cars are far too expensive so I never get them. I haven’t purchased a single 20m Cr car in any of those games despite owning all 3 games. So it needs to reward people, probably not as fast as FM7 did, but enough to make people that can’t pour a hundred hours a week into it feel rewarded.

We should grind events we enjoy replaying rather than for Cr, so there will hopefully be a huge variety of events to enter.

I probably dismissed GT3 a bit with some of the repeated events (though still would prefer GT2's approach by putting all of them in 1 type but different hp level, or for GT3's case, only License requirement, though GT2 has only 3 races each at different level where in GT3 each same event at different league has 3 each, totalling at 9), and also I've counted the events, GT3 did have more events than GT5/GT6 at 85 (GT4 is the only one that is 100+).

But yeah, I've always wanted for GT to give every car in the game a purpose like in the event variations, which is why I also want the different event levels GT2/GT3 had to return (but united like GT2 with their respective performance limit and license requirement). And apart from that what do you think for GT's pick an event from a list and repeat system?

And for GT4 having less structure? I feel like it was divided more accordingly, main events are in Beginner/Professional/Expert, manufacturer events are in dealership, country events are in Europe/America/Japan Events, etc. I feel like GT3 is like the later edition GT like GTS' GT League for lumping every event together in the Beginner/Amateur/Professional, but the rest are in Rally/Endurance.

I only want to be able to sell the prize cars unlike the late GTs. But how to convince PD to do it, because probably they're afraid that system would be abused like GT4's RSC Rally Car selling?

@o000o I agree, I think when I mentioned GT4's structure it wasn't really a reference to the events being scattered in different areas.

I didn't mind that, but rather I felt my first car lost its usefulness very early on and some events you got to (assuming you were completing events in order) required cars you had to spend ages trying to afford at that level breaking the pace of progression massively.

I didn't mind having the localised events in the European, US and Japanese halls and the manufacturer evens with the dealerships though.

Back