How many copies do you believe Gran Turismo 7 will sell?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 38 comments

ICEYOU3

(Banned)
United States
Selatapura, Usea
Do you think think it will reach the series' former glory and surpass 10 million copies sold? I believe it'll easily out pace GTS' and sell 12 million copies.

No one knows for sure, but I'm going to make a bold prediction and say it will at the very least surpass GT5 sale numbers (eventually). The people reading this in 2025 can reply to this, and call me an idiot if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm overestimating GT's popularity nowadays, but one thing is for sure... This is the 'most important' GT game to release since GT5. It helps a lot that it will be one of the first major PS5 exclusives to release on the PS5, a console that is consistently hitting all-time console sales records, even with it's shortage. Even if it ends up being a massive disappointment for hardcore fans, it has all the ingredients to become a massive hit.

Do you think think it will reach the series' former glory and surpass 10 million copies sold? I believe it'll easily out pace GTS' and sell 12 million copies.
GT7 Announcement trailer is the third most watched trailer in the PS5 Event after Horizon and Spider-Man, so this should paint a picture of how popular GT is right now.
I definitely think it will be bigger than GTS and GT6, surpassing GT5 is going to be hard considering racing games (especially track based) have seen a decline in sales.

Wait, all will stay or Fall with the Forza-entry in next generation. If Forza will set absolute benchmarks on Series X with raytraycing, it could be more and more the class-Primus. I mean hear especially no Motorsport, Horizon is their best seller.
You shouldnt forget, too, a lot of guys now have bought their first xbox or changed to xbox-base. So the card to next generation could be reshuffled.

Last edited:
GT7 Announcement trailer is the third most watched trailer in the PS5 Event after Horizon and Spider-Man, so this should paint a picture of how popular GT is right now.
I definitely think it will be bigger than GTS and GT6, surpassing GT5 is going to be hard considering racing games (especially track based) have seen a decline in sales.
9.5 million views that is saying alot.

I guess with the vaccine having rolled out his year, maybe people will be venturing out more. The car enthusist scope will have changed. MOre EVs on the road. Tough to call a number. I guess it'll be about PS5 to PS6 compatibility. How ever many of those consoles are built. We'll have to see once the game debuts.

We'd need the PS5 to be readily available for purchase world wide first!

What with worldwide lockdown generated economic recession, the need for buying a whole new console generation for it, & the fact that from the trailer it seems to be far too similar to GT7 Prologue (sorry I meant "Sport"), I don't think it will sell as many copies as previous full games in the series. There are also other game series that are outclassing the GT series in so many different ways...it has a lot of competition...

GT7 should not get released at first in 2023 when there’s awaited GTA6. All games in that year would be soo much under radar. Noone would speak about other than the most awaited game probalbly.

VBR
What with worldwide lockdown generated economic recession,

Odd. Despite worldwide recession, I’m pretty sure there’s considerably more demand for the consoles this time around (weirder considering both consoles are more expensive this time around).

VBR
the need for buying a whole new console generation for it

I mean the PS4 isn’t going to last forever.

Besides, people had to buy a PS2 to get GT3...and it ended up being the second best selling game on the console.

VBR
& the fact that from the trailer it seems to be far too similar to GT7 Prologue (sorry I meant "Sport"),

I didn’t know games stayed the exact same between the first trailer and the retail version of the game.

VBR
There are also other game series that are outclassing the GT series in so many different ways...it has a lot of competition...

Which competition? Stuff like ACC and iRacing are way more sim-oriented. Forza Horizon is ‘too arcade’. Project Cars doesn’t even know what it wants to be. If anything, Forza Motorsport is GT’s only direct competition

In my opinion since this episode will most likely contain more content than GTS, Sony can keep advertising with this game for a long long time after it launches. Not mentioning if the VR2 comes out, GT7 will most likely contain VR parts. So my answer is yes, I think GT7 will sell around 20 million copies at the very end of its life because thanks to PS5, this game will also likely to be backwards compatible with the next PS (6...).

Last edited:
In my opinion since this episode will most likely contain more content than GTS, Sony can keep advertising with this game for a long long time after it launches. Not mentioning if the VR2 comes out, GT7 will most likely contain VR parts. So my answer is yes, I think GT7 will sell around 20 million copies at the very end of its life because thanks to PS5, this game will also likely to be backwards compatible with the next PS (6...).
20 Million copies? You're pretty optimistic lol, Kaz and Jim Ryan would dance on the moon if that happened.

Last edited:
Fourteen.

Seriously though, none of us (I assume) are market forecasters or bean counters at Sony. Other than assuming it will sell roughly in line with the other games, nobody here can logically give you a number.

Assuming they're able to satisfy everyone with a perfect blend of old and new... 20 million would be a low guess. (by the end of its life cycle)

Hard to say as there's not enough info to indicate whether GT7 will truly redeem the franchise. PS5 supply is another unknown factor.

Let's just say it will sell millions of copies. If it sells ten million, that's great, and it would be a dream for it to beat GT3's sales record.

I feel like it's starting to get harder to compare with historic sales data. 10 million sales in 2021 with consoles and gaming in general being pretty mainstream feels a little different to 10 million sales in 2001.

I'm sure it'll make it's sales numbers the same way that GT6 and GTS did, either it's amazing and everyone buys it or it hits the bargain bin within six months. But the ability of Sony or Microsoft to just dump 7 figures in marketing and pretty much guarantee significant sales, really dilutes how much you can really read into sales figures any more. If you ever could read anything into sales figures beyond "many people spent money on this game".

I think a sizable portion of it will depend on the marketing, which I hope will get ramped up soon. A product/service can only sell so much when its very existence (and release date, etc.) isn't well-known.

Last edited:
I think once the pandemic is under control and production is back to normal, it will sell more copies than GT Sport.

I think once the pandemic is under control and production is back to normal, it will sell more copies than GT Sport.
I think so, too. My personal bet? I think it'll sell ten million at the least. Even GTS sold eight million. Every console's first GT game sells at least ten million, the only exception being GT4, which despite being the second GT game on the PS2, still sold over ten million, though it didn't sell nearly 15 million copies like GT3 did. Meanwhile, GT2 sold under ten million - though it did sell over nine million - and GT6 is the lowest-selling title, with a little over five million. (It likely didn't help that it was both the second GT game on the PS3, and the PS4 was launching around the same time.)

My point being, is that given the trends of GT game sales, things seem to bode well for GT7. But I really wish they'd ramp up the marketing soon and show us more info, or a new trailer...

Last edited:
I think so, too. My personal bet? I think it'll sell ten million at the least. Even GTS sold eight million. Every console's first GT game sells at least ten million, the only exception being GT4, which despite being the second GT game on the PS2, still sold over ten million, though it didn't sell nearly 15 million copies like GT3 did. Meanwhile, GT2 sold under ten million - though it did sell over nine million - and GT6 is the lowest-selling title, with a little over five million. (It likely didn't help that it was both the second GT game on the PS3, and the PS4 was launching around the same time.)

My point being, is that given the trends of GT game sales, things seem to bode well for GT7. But I really wish they'd ramp up the marketing soon and show us more info, or a new trailer...
I read about news this February saying GT Sport is already selling 9.5mil copies, if that's true so despite getting not very good reputation at first, GT Sport has already got to the level close to GT5 on sale numbers
So to this point TBH I'm more optimistic on potential sale of GT7

Back