how to drift?

• Thread starter jinjin12
  • 3 comments
Hey. I'm assuming you're not very good with English, so I'll give you a break on your spelling. But it's Arcade "mode", not Aracade "made". When you post messages here, at least try to capitalize words when they start sentences. Capitalize the letter "I" when referring to yourself, as well.

I have a hard time trying to describe how to drift, but I'll try.

1). It helps to have a rear-drive, low-powered car to start with. I would start with MANUAL transmission because this allows you to choose a gear and maintain that gear without the gearbox switching up or down on you. It's possible to drift using automatic, but you'll ultimately have more control with manual.

Don't try a car with too much power if you're new or you'll just get your 🤬 bitten again and again. So we're talking the Toyota Trueno/Sprinter series. Some RX-7s, Some Silvias. Try using about 200 to 250-ish horsepower to start.

2). Normal tires equipped. Not racing slicks or semi-racing slicks. Normal tires have the easiest time breaking traction.

3). You can try whatever course you want. I would try Autumn Ring if I were you because it's not too speedy, and you'll be able to control the car better. Lots of hairpins and curves, too.

4). Enter the turn a little "hot", enter carrying a little too much speed. It's okay to brake, but once you're into the turn, try releasing the brakes and turning the steering more sharply. This should induce a slide.

5). If the car is sliding, carefully apply throttle. You might try full-throttle, or partial throttle (assuming you've got a dual-shock). After awhile you'll get the hang of how much gas will induce the slide part. The rear-end should start to "step" outside its friction circle.

6). This takes practice, but eventually you'll be able to get a more forceful slide without losing control. Once you're in one of these more forceful slides, countersteer (steer in the direction that's opposite the turn).

7). Assuming the rear-end is still losing traction (sliding) and the front-end is countersteering, you've got yourself a drift.! Pat yourself on the back! :cool:

Watch the demo with the blue Viper at Grand Valley Speedway. That is a drift demo video.

I find a good place to drift, though not spectacularly is the last corner of SSR5 Reverse (Clubman too). There's lots of room, and it's reasonably long. and the surface seems to favour a lot of tire slippage.

Just keep lots of power on, and you'll notice you're not necessarily going where steering would suggest.

Go in to that corner a little sideways, you should be able to navigate around in a non-grip fashion. (The other end of the Clubman Circuit has lots of room, too, but the surface is grippier. Of course the last corner of the Reverse circuits is the first corner of the Normal circuits, but you seem to have a better approach for drifting in the Reverse Circuits).

A problem in [size=+1]GT1[/size] physics is, if I recall correctly, is you can overcome understeer merely by steering harder. But then that can make control easier.

Last edited:
If you want insta-drifts, go to Arcade --> Autumn Ring Reverse --> Viper GTS --> pick 'Drift' as driving mode (instead of Standard). When you get to the 360 corner, mash the gas and countersteer. You'll be smoking those tyres in no time 👍

Back