How-To: "Transparent" Background Avatars for GTPlanet Forums

• Thread starter AOS-
  • 43 comments
Hmmm I was doing the last step today and instead of a grey background, a bunch of white dots in the background appeared. The background is all the way at the bottom and it still appears in the image. I have no idea why. Thanks for your time again.

The background layer with the solid colour stays on the absolute bottom and the layer with the dots is to go just above it. The point of the dot is to trick your eyes.

If you have time, can you post a screenshot of your layer palette? I have a feeling it may be layer arrangement or the layer options isn't totally correct.

The background layer with the solid colour stays on the absolute bottom and the layer with the dots is to go just above it. The point of the dot is to trick your eyes.

If you have time, can you post a screenshot of your layer palette? I have a feeling it may be layer arrangement or the layer options isn't totally correct.

OK, but my dad is using the computer with Photoshop on it so I'll do it later. I almost got it!mWhen I save it has a caution sign near the layers. Is that supposed to happen?

b46yj6.gif
This is what it looks like.

Last edited:
That's not a case of white dots, that's a case of you not finishing the last step which was to change the colour of that black to #e6e6e6. Right click that layer in your layer palette and select "blending options". click on color overlay, and change the colour to #e6e6e6.

That's not a case of white dots, that's a case of you not finishing the last step which was to change the colour of that black to #e6e6e6. Right click that layer in your layer palette and select "blending options". click on color overlay, and change the colour to #e6e6e6.

Ohhhh OK thanks! Well, the top left is still not transparent...

That thin vertical line? I'm guessing you either added something you shouldn't have or you didn't cut out only the car from the photo.

So with us being able to now actually use transparent avatars (as I consistently show), what will you do now?

So with us being able to now actually use transparent avatars (as I consistently show), what will you do now?

Is that a question directed to me?

If so, I guess this tutorial now is more of a exercise in learning how to use Photoshop/GIMP than anything.

If we want transparent background avatars, you just work the cut out whatever you like, except this time, you leave out the steps on creating a background layer, and save as PNG.

There. Tutorial completely revised in one sentence. 👍 :P

Is that a question directed to me?

If so, I don't understand what sort of a response you're looking for. Could you please clarify or rephrase it?

It is directed at you. What I mean is now that we can actually use transparent avatars, will this thread still be serving any sort of purpose with what you posted before? Will you add how to make an actually transparent avatars? Just a question out of curiosity since this was made pre-GTP facelift (or so I assume it was).

Somehow I feel not many found this useful or made use of it, and seeing as how there have been other threads of similar purpose with more activity, I don't exactly have the motivation or reason to redo another strip of images at this time.

Would anybody be able to make one or both of these into avatar image please?
6108505B-8AA4-4817-95B6-48E8BC01CEF1.png
52141F30-7887-48A9-BA08-CC69EA72A3EF.png

Back