Hyundai Ioniq & Kia EV Thread

I feel like, at this point, trying to categorize cars based on body shape is mostly just a marketing tactic. Like the CX-3, the CX-30 is just a Mazda3 with higher suspension. The Crosstrek is an Impreza with higher suspension.

As consumers demand various things from a high driving position to a sleek coupe design as well as good performance but still having good efficiency, cars will have to converge to a single optimal design. This is what we're getting, from the Ioniq 5 to the Mustang Mach-E and the BMW X4 to the new Toyota Crown. This is what peak performance looks like. Cars are going to just be large, tall blobs, because that is how we're going to get the most interior space while having the ride height and efficiency and body shape categorization will no longer matter

Last edited:
I guess it’s like the crossover. Why have that category and not place the small SUVs in that? Everything pretty much crosses over that’s not an exotic one or two or three-seater hyper sports car or kei car(of sorts).

I guess it's a very grey area. The CX-3 is a CUV, but it's hatchback. It's a hair-length bigger than Mazda2, but it's placed in the SUV category.
However, yes, the style and shape of the Hyundai look more hatchback like than a CX-5, which looks like a modern interpretation of what is now considered an SUV.
The other thing that makes the Ioniq 5 look more "car" than "SUV" is the wheelbase as it relates to its overall length. SUVs tend to have large overhangs while hatchbacks tend to have very short overhangs. The Ioniq5 has a longer wheelbase than the Hyundai Palisade which is a full size 3 row SUV, despite being over a foot shorter.

Oh my god you can get the interior of the Ioniq5 in almost all white with exterior-color accents. I'm in love.

Last edited:
Not sure why I'm feeling rather hyped up about the Ioniq 5 N. Once again, more prototype shots with a little more shapes shown through the camo. I hope this does look more hot hatch than crossover.

2023-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-new-spy-photo.jpg

Ioniq 6, US spec debuts at the LA Auto Show

1668729942373.png

1668729968857.png

1668730027502.png

1668730037714.png

1668730095590.png

1668730062092.png

1668730118982.png

(This is the expected use case for the reverse charging? To do homework outside?)

The Ioniq 6 has available two battery sizes – 53.0- and 77.4-kilowatt hours. The standard-range model gets a single rear-mounted electric motor that makes 149 horsepower (111 kilowatts) and 258 pound-feet (350 Nm) of torque. Hyundai offers the larger battery in single-motor rear-wheel-drive, or dual-motor all-wheel-drive configurations. The RWD layout makes 225 hp (168 kW) and the same amount of torque as the standard model. The dual-motor EV cranks out 320 hp (239 kW) and 446 lb-ft (605 Nm) of torque.

Hyundai estimates that the single-motor model with the larger battery will achieve 340 miles of electric driving range. The dual-motor car should return 310 miles, but these aren’t the official EPA numbers. A 350-kilowatt fast charger allows the Ioniq 6 to recharge from 10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes, but if owners are in a hurry, the charger can add about 65 miles of range in five minutes. Recharging with a standard Level 2 charger takes just over seven hours.

The Ioniq 6 will join Hyundai’s US lineup next spring. Buyers will receive two years of unlimited 30-minute charging sessions from Electrify America. We won’t have pricing information until closer to the car’s on-sale date.

Looks different enough. A little bit of Saab-ness to it.
This generation seems like it's going to be about can your car accommodate my mobile devices? Forget Apple CarPlay.

I think it's weird looking but it's absolutely weird looking in an interwar rear engined sedan way and I'm all for it compared to generic 2003-Prius-shaped blobmobiles.

Last edited:
I think it's excellent. It's weird but it's cohesive - a weird design that is actually good, not simply weird to be weird. I've already watche the review below that suggests this thing is a bit tight in the back for tall people but that doesn't bother me any. I'd really like to drive one. I just really wish we got the side cameras, damn the US is so outdated and slow to adapt to new technology.

Last edited:
(This is the expected use case for the reverse charging? To do homework outside?)
Sounds perfect if you are on a lengthy zoom call at work and have the urge to flex your new Ioniq 6 to your colleagues! ;)

The GV60 I drove this week had them?
It had cameras in place of the side mirrors? Or are you talking about the blindspot cameras?

The non-US cars get a camera whereas the US cars do not

1668820024566.png

1668820038026.png

A lot of brands have been producing cars with them, such as Lexus, but we don't get them, because it's against the regulations

1668820096571.png

I hadn't thought of it that way but now that they mention it I can definitely see it. Even the cut of the front of the door and its relationship to the front wheels and the windshield seems deliberate when framed with that context.

Ioniq 6 EPA figures

TrimEPA-Estimated RangeCombined MPGe
Ioniq 6 SE RWD Long Range 361 miles140
Ioniq 6 SE AWD Long Range316 miles121
Ioniq 6 SEL RWD305 miles117
Ioniq 6 SEL AWD270 miles103
Ioniq 6 Limited RWD305 miles117
Ioniq 6 Limited AWD270 miles 103

In comparison

Ioniq 5 RWD (Long Range)303 miles114
Ioniq 5 RWD (Standard Range)220 miles110
Ioniq 5 AWD (Long Range)256 miles98
Model 3 RWD272 miles132
Model 3 Long Range AWD358 miles131
Model 3 Performance AWD315 miles113

Ioniq 6 EPA figures

TrimEPA-Estimated RangeCombined MPGe
Ioniq 6 SE RWD Long Range361 miles140
Ioniq 6 SE AWD Long Range316 miles121
Ioniq 6 SEL RWD305 miles117
Ioniq 6 SEL AWD270 miles103
Ioniq 6 Limited RWD305 miles117
Ioniq 6 Limited AWD270 miles103

In comparison

Ioniq 5 RWD (Long Range)303 miles114
Ioniq 5 RWD (Standard Range)220 miles110
Ioniq 5 AWD (Long Range)256 miles98
Model 3 RWD272 miles132
Model 3 Long Range AWD358 miles131
Model 3 Performance AWD315 miles113

Well that's disappointing.

The Hyundai is probably the better car overall but it's still - still - not the better EV than Tesla.

Seems like this thread is where we talk about all Hyundai Ioniq and Kia EV products. May I kinda request a thread name change @Eunos_Cosmo?

I couldn't find the discussion on the Kia EV9 concept but the production version has leaked and it's pretty gnarly looking.

Bold, tough, unique. I like it. It looks worthy of Rivian-like off-road chops but I doubt they'll go that far.

Back