Hyundai Ioniq & Kia EV Thread

Ioniq 5 production has been delayed by more than a year (!!!) due to a manufacturing mistake by a third party chip company

Hyundai Motor Co. is highly likely to suffer a further production delay for its all-electric crossover IONIQ 5 after South Korean industry sources said on Wednesday that Infineon Technologies recently scrapped two months' output of its flawed automotive chips.

The world’s top automotive chipmaker has found flaws in its insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) chips produced between early April and early June of this year and has discarded all the automotive chips manufactured during the period.

The flaws occurred in the process of injecting aluminium-ion into the chips for use in power modules, instead of nitrogen. Aluminium-ion has replaced nitrogen in the advanced manufacturing process of the IGBT chips.

The automotive chips produced in early April were meant to be shipped to Hyundai Motor from the middle of this month.

The IGBT is a core component of EVs. Power modules equipped with IGBT chips are used to manufacture power electric (PE) systems and then PE modules. The IGBT-based PE modules are installed in the IONIQ 5, a mid-size crossover utility vehicle (CUV).

It takes three months to produce an IGBT chip and another month to piece them together to make a power module.

Chip supply disruptions will unlikely be resolved before mid-October and the wait time for IONIQ 5 buyers should be longer than one year.

LACK OF ALTERNATIVES

The chip supply disruption will put the brake on Hyundai's plan to accelerate production in the second half of this year.

Hyundai is looking for alternative options to secure automotive chips from other semiconductor companies, including Switzerland-based STMicroelectronics, to prevent production disruptions to IONIQ 5.

It is also trying to shorten the delivery time by transporting chips from global semiconductor makers by air.

But industry insiders said that the EV model cannot avoid the deepening supply shortages.

“We’re making efforts to meet the minimum demand,” said an Infineon official in South Korea. “The global chip shortage will get worse for a while.”

This week, Hyundai gave its dealerships a notification that the order of IONIQ 5 will take more than 12 months as of now, with the chip shortage likely to last longer than expected.

The IGBT lead time, or the time between the initiation and completion of the automotive chip production, was prolonged to 50 weeks, Chinese news outlet Digitimes reported on Wednesday, citing industry sources in China.

INTERNAL PRODUCTION

To address the prolonged chip shortage, auto parts supplier Hyundai Mobis Co. said at its recent earnings call that it will significantly increase its internal production of automotive chips.

The Hyundai Group unit produces PE systems and PE modules, based on Infineon’s semiconductor chips and power modules and deliver the auto components to Hyundai Motor.

“We are working on internal production of chips, particularly, power chips,” a Mobis official told the second-quarter conference. “We are looking to develop system-on-a-chip as well.”

The article doesn't say, but I'd assume the Kia EV6 would have a similar faith

Ioniq 5 production has been delayed by more than a year (!!!) due to a manufacturing mistake by a third party chip company

The article doesn't say, but I'd assume the Kia EV6 would have a similar faith
Maybe they will make more plug-in hybrids (if those aren't affected by this problem) with the battery components? :)

Kia EV6 GT

1660942715290.png

1660942721925.png

1660942730671.png

The EV6 GT features a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system generating a peak 576 hp and 546 lb-ft of torque, the highest of any Kia product. This results in 0-60 mph acceleration in 3.4 seconds and a top speed of 161 mph. To prove the car's performance, independent party AMCI ran it down the dragstrip against a Ferrari Roma and Lamborghini Huracán Evo RWD Spyder, with the Kia, admittedly the only all-wheel-drive car in the test, being the quickest. Curiously, none of the times were published.

But the EV6 GT isn't only about straight-line performance. In addition to a sport-tuned suspension with adjustable dampers, the EV6 GT also features an electronic limited-slip differential to help provide traction when cornering. Strong stopping power, a crucial element of any performance car, is provided by brakes with monoblock calipers biting 15.0-inch rotors up front and 14.2-inch rotors at the rear. These reside within 21-inch wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1 tires.

Also included with the EV6 GT are some extra drive modes not found in other EV6 variants. These include GT Drive Mode, My Drive Mode, and Drift Mode. The Drift Mode allows the driver to distribute more power to the rear wheels to help get the vehicle sideways in a controlled fashion. Kia also provides two additional sounds that are unique to the EV6 GT.

Underpinning the EV6 range is Hyundai Motor Group's E-GMP modular EV platform, which features an 800-volt electrical system that enables high fast-charging rates. According to Kia, charging from 10%-80% takes just 18 minutes using a 350-kw charger.

The battery in the EV6 GT is a 77.4-kwh unit. A range estimate hasn't been provided, but the same battery in the regular EV6 with all-wheel drive is rated by the EPA at 274 miles.

The EV6 GT goes on sale in the fourth quarter of 2022. Pricing information will be announced closer to the market launch, though Kia has confirmed buyers will receive a charging credit of 1,000 kwh to be used at Electrify America stations within a three-year period.

I assume this'll be similar to the future Ioniq 5 N, or maybe N-Line if they name it similarly to how the K5 GT and the Sonata N-Line are similar

I'll put this here since it's on the same platform as the Ioniq 5

The GV60 is shockingly fast. I can't imagine what the Ioniq 5 N and EV6 GT is going to be like

According to a comment, they use the same 800V architecture developed by Rimac as the Taycan and E-Tron GT.

Impressively fast!

I'd rather see longer ranges myself. I don't care about how fast the battery can output energy, I need it to store energy for as long as possible. On that end, both Model Y drivetrains are notably better. They also have a vastly better charging network and road trip planning in the US and Canada.

I finally got to check out the Mach E at the extremely downsized NAIAS and the interior was downright awful. The ergonomics were terrible - the driver display is 50% blocked by the steering wheel and your knees bash into the corners of the central screen. The interior overall was very lazily designed, not even slightly interesting or unique, all the switchgear and the steering wheel were the usual Ford parts bin parts (currently the worst in the biz as Chrylser has introduced all new switchgear). I prefer Ford's decision and execution of the frunk whereas GM/Cadillac seem to not like the idea, but honestly the Mach E was a miserable place to sit. I wouldn't get one which is a bummer because the idea and exterior design are excellent.

But the GV60 is better. Interior is glorious as all Hyundai interiors have been for a while now. The fit and finish of the Genesis is better than Tesla and the design inside and out has a lot more personality, but damn the Teslas are still just better at being EVs in every way.

Impressively fast!

I'd rather see longer ranges myself. I don't care about how fast the battery can output energy, I need it to store energy for as long as possible. On that end, both Model Y drivetrains are notably better. They also have a vastly better charging network and road trip planning in the US and Canada.

I finally got to check out the Mach E at the extremely downsized NAIAS and the interior was downright awful. The ergonomics were terrible - the driver display is 50% blocked by the steering wheel and your knees bash into the corners of the central screen. The interior overall was very lazily designed, not even slightly interesting or unique, all the switchgear and the steering wheel were the usual Ford parts bin parts (currently the worst in the biz as Chrylser has introduced all new switchgear). I prefer Ford's decision and execution of the frunk whereas GM/Cadillac seem to not like the idea, but honestly the Mach E was a miserable place to sit. I wouldn't get one which is a bummer because the idea and exterior design are excellent.

But the GV60 is better. Interior is glorious as all Hyundai interiors have been for a while now. The fit and finish of the Genesis is better than Tesla and the design inside and out has a lot more personality, but damn the Teslas are still just better at being EVs in every way.
To give a bit of credit to Genesis, the 800v architecture allows the GV60 to charge considerably faster. 80% charge in 18 mins, which is just over half the time it takes a model Y to get to 80% at a supercharger. So the GV60 claws back nearly 20 miles of range in practice (versus the MY) just for being able to get back on the road faster - provided you can find a 350kv charger. The Tesla still and inarguably has better range, but it's not an enormous advantage at this point. I will gladly take a car that actually has a designed interior (the 3 and Y have utterly soulless cabins, like of the same aspiration of washing machines in apartment buildings) I also trust that Genesis will build a car that has full automotive grade parts, unlike Tesla. I would probably pick the Ioniq5 over either purely because it looks way better, but that's just me.

provided you can find a 350kv charger
Which is why I think the charging speed of the Genesis should effectively be discounted. The Electrify America network is unreliable, quoted charging speeds rarely actually work, the pathfinding of various OEMs and their database of charging speeds is lacking, etc. The network isn't trustworthy so it may as well not exist. The Supercharger network is trustworthy with like 95% reliability.

Edit: 99.96% reliability. Meanwhile, I can't watch a single EV review on Youtube without severe Electrify America problems. For that reason, it doesn't even matter what capability the OEM bakes into their EV, because the infrastructure can't match the capability anyway.

Which is why I think the charging speed of the Genesis should effectively be discounted. The Electrify America network is unreliable, quoted charging speeds rarely actually work, the pathfinding of various OEMs and their database of charging speeds is lacking, etc. The network isn't trustworthy so it may as well not exist. The Supercharger network is trustworthy with like 95% reliability.

Edit: 99.96% reliability. Meanwhile, I can't watch a single EV review on Youtube without severe Electrify America problems. For that reason, it doesn't even matter what capability the OEM bakes into their EV, because the infrastructure can't match the capability anyway.
I don't disagree. I won't buy a Tesla and mainstream EV charging infrastructure isn't good enough yet...which is why I'm sticking with PHEV for now.

Wait I haven't heard anything about this until now

The Genesis GV60 has biometric authentication for starting the car? That's really cool. It's probably more secure than a key, but I do hope it's not easy to hack or fool.

It's technically not 2FA as the guy claims as it's only using one factor: something you are (your face and your fingerprint). Multi authentication is usually different factors as in "something you know" (password), "something you have" (your phone, OTP), "something you are" (fingerprint), or "somewhere you are" (your location).

Anyone outside my country has this issue ? I've seen several videos of the paint easily peeled. The video is in Indonesian.

Last edited:
The Ioniq5 is practically the same size as a Rav4, it actually has a slightly larger footprint, being both wider and longer. It's slightly shorter, but I don't think you can really describe it as a hatchback other than it has a hatch on the back. The reason it sort of looks like one is that it is proportionally similar to something like a Golf - it's been scaled up. I don't really know what words best describes this new type of car (which I'll throw in the VW ID4 as well)...maybe Uncompact Utility Hatch? It's like a big car trying to look small, rather than a small car trying to look big (examples of that would be the first Gen Scion XB and Hyundai's own Venue, which is 2 FEET shorter than the Ioniq5). A lot of it has to do with the wheel and wheel arch size. The Ioniq5 has 20s while the Venue has 15s.

"The people who build it can call it an SUV and several major automotive publications can call it an SUV including one doing so in their multi-vehicle test of different SUVs to determine the best SUV of the year and it can be almost identical in size to the segment leader in its respective segment but I'm going to mock the idea of calling it an SUV"

Last edited:
This is an SUV. Or take your pick from any similar product with actual ride height and off road capability.

607161 (1).jpg

Ioniq 5 is a bloated hatchback and nothing more.

Last edited:
Cool story. That battle of semantics was lost before that generation of the Xterra even came out. I'd think you'd be more aware of that when the company you work for contributed heavily to those changing definitions when they launched an SUV built off the Altima and an SUV built off the Skyline 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I've always been confused as to why some people get so defensive over a simple categorization (not just talking about automobiles either), doubly so when it's something as ambiguous as "SUV".

The Ioniq5 is practically the same size as a Rav4, it actually has a slightly larger footprint, being both wider and longer. It's slightly shorter, but I don't think you can really describe it as a hatchback other than it has a hatch on the back. The reason it sort of looks like one is that it is proportionally similar to something like a Golf - it's been scaled up. I don't really know what words best describes this new type of car (which I'll throw in the VW ID4 as well)...maybe Uncompact Utility Hatch? It's like a big car trying to look small, rather than a small car trying to look big (examples of that would be the first Gen Scion XB and Hyundai's own Venue, which is 2 FEET shorter than the Ioniq5). A lot of it has to do with the wheel and wheel arch size. The Ioniq5 has 20s while the Venue has 15s.
I guess it's a very grey area. The CX-3 is a CUV, but it's hatchback. It's a hair-length bigger than Mazda2, but it's placed in the SUV category.
However, yes, the style and shape of the Hyundai look more hatchback like than a CX-5, which looks like a modern interpretation of what is now considered an SUV.

Back