Hyundai to purchase FCA?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 15 comments
It would certainly solidify their presence in Europe, as if they needed to!

Guess they want to stand up to the ever growing Renault and Peugeot alliances.

Out of curiosity, what would actually change? What would FCA and Hyundai/Kia get out of it?

Hyundai/Kia would get some carbon fibre **** I guess from Alfa/Ferrari/Viper and large power from N/A engines tech, but that is mostly useless these days (the big N/A engines part).

Out of curiosity, what would actually change? What would FCA and Hyundai/Kia get out of it?

Hyundai/Kia would get some carbon fibre **** I guess from Alfa/Ferrari/Viper and large power from N/A engines tech, but that is mostly useless these days (the big N/A engines part).

The carbon fibre **** could be useful in the creation of a range of lightweight PHEV/BEVs, a bit like BMW with their i Series of vehicles.

Volume, economies of scale, technology transfer, some strategically important manufacturing plants (the Polish plant that makes Fiat's small cars is supposed to be one of the most efficient and advanced in Europe, and I presume there are some Chrysler plants dotted around the world that would be useful too), diverse customer base and market expertise. The usual reasons really, and as @Robin says, it'll help them compete with vast empires like VW, GM, Toyota, and Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi.

...I usually only lurk around these parts, but this time, I'm compelled to say something - obviously I'll believe it when it happens, but I am sceptical. Very sceptical. I'm not sure why, but Hyundai is one of those companies that, historically speaking, seem to be reluctant to take over/merge with other carmakers. The exception to that is Kia, but I don't know the full circumstances in that case. But I do know they were offered other Korean carmakers in the past, as well as certain other European brands, but they said no.

To merge with an entity like the FCA - now that seems a bit.... out of character for the Koreans, if you ask me.

...I usually only lurk around these parts, but this time, I'm compelled to say something - obviously I'll believe it when it happens, but I am sceptical. Very sceptical. I'm not sure why, but Hyundai is one of those companies that, historically speaking, seem to be reluctant to take over/merge with other carmakers. The exception to that is Kia, but I don't know the full circumstances in that case. But I do know they were offered other Korean carmakers in the past, as well as certain other European brands, but they said no.

To merge with an entity like the FCA - now that seems a bit.... out of character for the Koreans, if you ask me.
Maybe they're trying to make up for the loss in sales in China?

Maybe they're trying to make up for the loss in sales in China?

...Maybe. But that's apparently due to political shenanigans - as far as I'm aware of - so even if they merge with FCA, I fear their situation won't improve in the Chinese markets.

so even if they merge with FCA, I fear their situation won't improve in the Chinese markets.

It probably wouldn't, but the sales of the Challenger, Jeep and Ram in the U.S. would probably make up for whatever they have lost in China. They would also have Alfa Romeo and FIAT to give them some more presence in Europe (not sure how their sales are there). They could probably kill off Chrysler and Lancia and nobody would be the wiser.

I don't know about Europe, but Hyundai and Kia are firmly in the top sellers category these days.

Well FCA would get some small car sales. Since they pretty much nuked anything smaller than the Charger, having small cars in the portfolio would at least help once gas prices go back up in the US.

Hyundai/Kia would get truck and SUV sales since that's what FCA is focusing on right now.

It seems like a good fit, but I doubt it'll happen. If anything I still fully expect some Chinese company to buy FCA for some stupid amount of money.

...I don't know if that's a good idea, Hyundai worked ridiculously hard to get where they are today, this could backfire.

Latest Posts

Back