I said sorry and I am still insulted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't raced in months(maybe over a year), but I have done that. Slow down, let the guy pass. Now, there's an apology. 👍

P.S. I did that just once. I don't want you guys to think I was doing this on a regular basis!

There is no infraction here. I did nothing wrong.
I do not see where I flamed or acted inappropreiate.

You called him out publicly, THAT IS WRONG and an INFRACTION. You started the problem, now you are putting him out there like he did something wrong.

You started a thread bashing him, but you dont see where you flamed? This is stupid.

As a response to the original post.

I can see why he's angry. If he wanted to race, he would have raced you by going faster or choosing a different car. I don't give a rats why someone does it, but when they "bump draft" me on a straight, I'd get mad. Not mad enough to send a PM but.

Chadwickracing: You had good intentions - but I'd say no contact means no contact. Liken it to me sideswiping someone around a corner because I don't think the line they are taking is the best. Good intentions yes - but you look like punter. Just let them do what they're doing, and if they make an attempt to catch up when you pass them, simply slow down.

👍

OK, here's my 2 pence. Your intentions were honourable in what you were doing Chad but it didn't work out because the guy wasn't aware of what you were doing and lost the car, same thing happened to me the first time somebody tried bump-drafting me. My advice would be get in their first, when I got spun by a similar maneuvure (by another GTP member when I was untagged), I was mad and going to send a message, but they beat me to it and sent me one apologising and explaining their intentions. This instantly took the heat out of my anger and I was happy again.

People get heated when racing and your first thoughts (as in his, and your reply) do not always come out in the most constructive way, even if your intention is not to be rude. I see you apologised, and thats fair enough, there may have been a better way to phrase it but you were also riled by his message and probably not thinking straight either.

As an aside, what you did and your subsequent correspondence is nothing compared to some of the nonsense I've seen from other drivers on all the tracks online. If this guy gets upset about that accident, he must spend his whole time writing PSN messages.

We know you race clean Chad so don't worry. As for an infraction, I think thats way over the top for someone who had a genuine problem and asked for advice.

Thats just typical anymore in GT5P too many "melvins" playing online. Any time there is anything here comes the mad message.

BTW was that at Daytona oval? The oval has became a wild place,but bumping approaching the turns seems to be the tactic of the melvins,so I can see why he was a little po'd.

DaddyV I'm a bit surprised at you... a Melvin not quite. :)
This is all I'm going to say about it, I was coming to the 3rd turn 215+ mph, he drafted me all the way down the back stretch and hit me full throttle and dead on. From my pov was he used me to brake and didn't care what happened to a "melvin". Yes, I called him out about it, his response was patronizing and somewhat demeaning... read it from my perspective GranddaddyV. Here's a guy I don't know, never seen before acting well like a Melvin... I had evey right to call him on it, especially since he was using the GTP tag and I would because of that never expect that kind of behavior. I'm not going to argue this it really isn't worth it to me, but a Melvin lol I don't think so.
The reason I replied to you personally is that your a GTP guy, I know you and we have had some good racing in the past. The other opinions just don't matter that much. Have a good one Oh, Hope your daughter and baby are well ...

I would like to say thanks to the ones who have lent me support in this, since I don't know you guys it's especially nice to see. A special thanks to the person who gave me the "heads up" about this thread to me, don't know you never raced you... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Chadwicksracing - You attacked him first by hitting him, then by telling him he can't drive in your response to his message.

Maybe it was a bump draft to you, but it was a hit to him because he wouldn't have been expecting it, and it may have been later to him than it was to you due to lag. I don't see why you should deliberately touch another car in any case unless the other guy is expecting it.

Well now knowing who the target of the "bump" is I can tell you first hand he is no noobie, He is one of the best you will ever race against at Daytona. He has been racing there since the beginning of GT5P and he can handle the car,even though he misunderstood my post. :) j/k

When NASCAR guys bump draft there is very little bumping. They dont slam into each other. Bump drafting is really Nudge drafting. Also, this tactic is rather useless if you cant take the turn with the throttle wideopen.

Also, Chad better get an infraction for this BS thread. I know people who got kicked off GTPlanet for less offensive things than this (and they still use a GTP tag.) I am shocked a Moderator hasnt put their nose in here saying that calling people out in public is NOT OK.

You called him out publicly, THAT IS WRONG and an INFRACTION. You started the problem, now you are putting him out there like he did something wrong.

You started a thread bashing him, but you dont see where you flamed? This is stupid.

But this isn’t NASCAR ;) ‘Bump Drafting’ can be used to a greater effect than ‘Nudge Drafting’ as you call it. With no damage in GT5:P bumping drafting can have a massive benefit as you can bump the driver in front harder than in real life. This leads to a bigger effect than in real life.

Also there will be no infraction :rolleyes: How about you let the mods deal with situations, instead of you poking your nose in? Good idea. 👍

Personally I don’t see him calling out the whole of GTP as bad racers. He actually states, “GTP are good racers, well with one obvious exception”.

Chad you were in the wrong, but it doesn’t mean don’t use it. Use it on racers you know and enjoy using it. Even tagged drivers here don’t like it and ask around before bumping people 👍 Everyone learns from mistakes ;)

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, put who cares? You had a disagreement with someone while racing online, get over it. You were not interested in apologizing you were interested in justifying yourself. And then you do it on here to try and get back up. Complaining on a forum coz you had a tiff with someone is childish. There are bigger things in life to worry about than mistakenly pissing off a stranger playing a game online!

And I was just gonna roll my eyes and ignore this, but I had to say something, because I don't think this forum deserves childish whinging.

Well now knowing who the target of the "bump" is I can tell you first hand he is no noobie, He is one of the best you will ever race against at Daytona. He has been racing there since the beginning of GT5P and he can handle the car,even though he misunderstood my post. :) j/k

Yup, I read it too fast and acknowledged that in a pm :)
One last thing.... I can't believe a simple thing as this got onto GTPlanet... I mean c'mon in the big picture this is so insignificant, it really is too funny :dopey: If he wants to complete the picture CWR can post the last message I sent him or not ... his call :cool:

I race mainly at Daytona speedway, when i draft someone down the straight i will go for the pass however if it is a fellow GTP member i will bumpdraft him, there are two reasons i only do this with a GTP member.

1. He will know what i am doing and work with me.
2. Our lap times will greatly improve when we get it right.

I would react the very same way - in fact I think I did a while ago.

I think the only time I don't mind bump-drafting is if someone asked me before hand if they could do it with me.
Otherwise its very annoying, especially when I'm driving unstable or less stable cars (which is quite often as I enjoy the challenge) and it results in me finding it very difficult to go into a corner.
This happened to me before and I was pretty pissed, and I probably wouldn't take too kindly to a message telling me I was lacking skill as from my point of view I was essentially shunted - how can you not know bumping someone when they don't expect it wouldn't make it particularly easy for them to control the car?

I think this is a case of both sides not seeing it from the other driver's perspective and a bit of post-race anger. However, people that bump-draft should be a bit more considerate.

Can I ask...what is the point of a draft bump? Ok, it improves lap times, but where is the spirit of competition? I'd rather close - non contact racing that was competative in a friendly manner - not "oohh we can help each other out and go faster". I see the point in looking for the ultimate lap time - but when I need the fix, I head to time trials.

And if people bump draft to help each other separate from the rest of the pack - isn't there something in the OLR that prevents a biased nature toward other GTP tags or racing in alliance packs?

I think this is all getting blown out of proportion... Anybody who races frequently and has a bit of knowledge about racing will know what is happening... The other thing is to use good judgement as to when and how it is used... I mainly use "bump drafting" on the straight at Fuji but I do always remember to NOT bump after I have reached a certain point on the STRAIGHT. If I see the distance markers already, for example, on the left of the track I will withhold my bump... and move over to try and pass etc. Basically if youre going down the Fuji straight you would bump at the beginning of the straight and again, if permissable, near the starting lights of the starting grid... anything after this is risky because you run the risk of bumping him/her off track... now what I get from this incident is that the bump was just mis-timed and the outcome, even though unintentional, was not as expected. In this case CWR shouldve have sent a "Sorry" PM right away after the race or let him get his position back since in the end it was his mistake for bumping at the chosen point of the straight... Then this thread wouldnt be here and CWR and the other racer would have moved on by now... 👍 Just my 2 cents...

Can I ask...what is the point of a draft bump? Ok, it improves lap times, but where is the spirit of competition? I'd rather close - non contact racing that was competative in a friendly manner - not "oohh we can help each other out and go faster". I see the point in looking for the ultimate lap time - but when I need the fix, I head to time trials.

And if people bump draft to help each other separate from the rest of the pack - isn't there something in the OLR that prevents a biased nature toward other GTP tags or racing in alliance packs?

If done PROPERLY... it benefits BOTH (or more if travelling in packs) drivers because you end up going down the straight faster... I consider it a sort of gentleman like gesture in a race... and shows good sportmanship if done correctly... but then again you do have to give in to the consequences if it goes wrong due to the other driver not knowing whats happening...

Last edited:
One last thing.... I can't believe a simple thing as this got onto GTPlanet... I mean c'mon in the big picture this is so insignificant, it really is too funny :dopey: If he wants to complete the picture CWR can post the last message I sent him or not ... his call :cool:

I hope this shows you that even though someone may wear a GTP tag and got in a blue with someone else that doesn't mean GTPers automatically give unanimous support to the tagged player.

It really was insignificant in the end but I'm glad it shows non GTPers we as a whole try to be fair about incidents like this. :)

Btw welcome and feel free to stick around.

To catch a leader is an example. I have used it with tagged drivers and it done to me. When somebody gets away from the pack and is leading, with another 2 drivers in 2nd and 3rd 5 seconds behind, bump drafting can be used to catch the leader.

Also to break the feild. I have also done this / had it done. The pack of racers bump draft to break the feild and edge out a gap. This could be because drivers are holding them up or because they want to get anyway from a dirty racer etc.

It is one recognized way of obtaining a faster lap or working together to catch car/s ahead of yourselves and finish the race in a better position.............as oppossed to, i don't know lets say, dropping PP, blocking, punting, sideswipping

In free air the Vette can do 42.8's lap after lap quite easily, with a 2-3 people working together laptimes drop to 42.3/4 and in some cases 41.7, big difference

Jay
I hope this shows you that even though someone may wear a GTP tag and got in a blue with someone else that doesn't mean GTPers automatically give unanimous support to the tagged player.

It really was insignificant in the end but I'm glad it shows non GTPers we as a whole try to be fair about incidents like this. :)

Btw welcome and feel free to stick around.

Yes it does and it is really appreciated... that goes for everyone who voiced an opinion in this matter, whether you agree or disagree with me on this. Differing views should always be welcomed!

Yes it does and it is really appreciated... that goes for everyone who voiced an opinion in this matter, whether you agree or disagree with me on this. Differing views should always be welcomed!

Now thats the type of attitude that is highly respected here at GTP :D Open discussion keeping in mind that there will be a plethora of different views presented... The way you go about handling all these views in the discussion is what counts IMO... there have been plenty of examples on these forums of how its not done... """COugH""" Forza vs. GT thread in the GT5 Forum """CouGh""" Although I believe one of the major problems in that thread has been dealt with recently...

Back on topic: I am all for "bump drafting" as long as it executed properly :P

I am just not sure where the disconnect is. I said I was sorry. I admitted to hitting him. But I explained my intentions.

You aren't supposed to have those intentions. Your incident is a nice example of why bump drafting is NOT allowed under the GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines. You would have received a warning if the other driver decided to report this incident.

I read that a lot of people use bump drafting, but I'd like to ask you all to refrain from using it to prevent more of these incidents. They damage the reputation of GTP and most of all the driver in question. Please make sure you're fully aware of the rules when you race online 👍

What I don't understand is why the hell would you bump draft anyway? It seems stupid; why not just use the draft to overtake like any normal racer would?

You aren't supposed to have those intentions. Your incident is a nice example of why bump drafting is NOT allowed under the GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines. You would have received a warning if the other driver decided to report this incident.

I read that a lot of people use bump drafting, but I'd like to ask you all to refrain from using it to prevent more of these incidents. They damage the reputation of GTP and most of all the driver in question. Please make sure you're fully aware of the rules when you race online 👍

Is it not allowed? Ive read those rules in an out... looks like I need to visit them again...

It's racing, bumps are going to happen, especially if it's close. I don't even know why you bothered trying to mend it with the other racer. In the end it's just a game, if you crash you just hit the reset button and go into another race.

This is one of the reasons I quit playing GT5:P online, I would rub someone because of close racing and I would get messages from them telling me I'm not upholding the "GTP standard" or that I'm an unclean racer. If I spent all my time trying to avoid other cars I would end up dead last in every race and be circling the track at a breezy 75mph.

I agree you shouldn't go intentionally trying to ram people or drive the reverse way around the track, but a little bumping here and there is fine in my book as it happens in real race all of the time.

Brushing is one thing, bumping on the straight is another whether the intentions were honourable or not. Bump-drafting doesn't happen in most forms of motorsport so as Hugo Boss pointed out above, it's probably wiser that we don't do so in GT5:P as misconstrued, it can have a negative effect on how GTP_Tagged racers are viewed all around the world.

We try and race clean, and as such we should keep accidental bumps to a minimum and intentional bumps (including bump-drafting) to an absolute zero.

Take me out of the GTP Registry. Im done with that.

Call me Chadwicksracing. Not GTP_CWR

EDIT - I can't bump draft with a TAG. Then there will be no tag. If I hurt the reputation of GTP, then I will not be a TAG.

Last edited:
My two cents worth .....

I do not race under a GTP tag, but I do feel that if you do run with any affilliation, you owe it to them to be on your best behavior and represent that group in a positive manner.

That being said, it has been determined by many groups in organized Prologue leagues that Bump Drafting comes with more negative traits than positive and is basically just outlawed for the benefit of all. In my opinion, you should never Bump Draft anyone that you don't know or haven't worked out a plan to do so beforehand.

To me the most bizarre component of this thread is the fact that Chad had the nerve to infer that the other driver "lacked the skills" to control his car. That simply is just not right.

I also think that if you come up behind someone with a large closing speed, simply passing them and pulling back in front will suck them back up to your speed and the two of you will both benefit as much as though you had actually Bump Drafted in the first place.

I'd also like to say that I'm glad Joey D doesn't race online anymore due to his stated philosopy. If you think contact is normal and acceptable, then you're just asking for trouble in my opinion :nervous:

What I don't understand is why the hell would you bump draft anyway? It seems stupid; why not just use the draft to overtake like any normal racer would?

Well you push the car infront of you, he gets faster and because you can be longer in the slipstream, you will get faster too.

Speedway racing 101.

Brushing is one thing, bumping on the straight is another whether the intentions were honourable or not. Bump-drafting doesn't happen in most forms of motorsport so as Hugo Boss pointed out above, it's probably wiser that we don't do so in GT5:P as misconstrued, it can have a negative effect on how GTP_Tagged racers are viewed all around the world.

We try and race clean, and as such we should keep accidental bumps to a minimum and intentional bumps (including bump-drafting) to an absolute zero.

I never hit anyone intentionally but I think way to many people take it way to seriously. If I tap you because you decided to brake entirely to early in a corner, or I sideswipe you because you attempted to block me from passing then I shouldn't be called out for it. Rubbing happens in racing.

And yes I tend to drive far more aggressively in racing games because if I stuff it then I can just restart the race. If some bumping occurs to more aggressive driving then whatever.

I'd also like to say that I'm glad Joey D doesn't race online anymore due to his stated philosopy. If you think contact is normal and acceptable, then you're just asking for trouble in my opinion :nervous:

Gee thanks. It's not asking for trouble, it's just racing hard to win the race. Bumps are going to happen along the way and I don't understand why so many people get bent out of shape about it. I never intentionally ram anyone while online racing because I don't like it when it happens to me, but I'm not going to be overly courteous while trying to get to the front of the pack. If I give way to others then it sort of defeats the point of a race.

I can't believe your worried about GTP reputation when bump drafting goes on, compared to the normal idiot style driving at Daytona bump drafting incidents are far and few between, surely as GTP tries to encourage fair clean driving, drafting and the occasional bump draft which is legit can be shown that contact can be an advantage when done properly. Is the next step to only allow draft to within a set distance because the draftee feels too nervous when been followed so closely, also i might add i have witnessed the occasional bump draft by well respected drivers at other tracks apart from Daytona, Suuzuka and Fuji hve both got parts of the course where people bump draft

I can't believe people find it that hard to not bump draft. It's really, really simple. Just don't do it unless you've previously arranged with someone to do so. That way, there will be no ridiculous disputes like the one at the start of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back