If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
That story makes me cringe. My first experience on GT5P was on that very course as well. Needless to say I was violently rammed off the track on turn one, and never came back.

...so then I shouldn't tell you that the next three times, I had that same problem ;)? Yeah, it does get annoying, but found a small group on here I race with regularly.

I can deal with that. I don't mind the quitters, never have. Just the big mouths and bumper car drivers.

Maybe the quitters will be less of an issue for me with the full game, since there will probably be fuller races if I'm doing random ones. With Prologue, it was usually only 1 or 2 opponents unless there was a league racing at the same time. Being in a 10 lap race and having the other person quit after a lap is utterly annoying to me because there's really no point in finishing other than practice, since I won't get any prize money.

I question just how easy it is. Heck, I couldn't even go into the Auction House on FM3 without seeing some car with a naked cartoon character on it. I would like to think that PD could at least offer the livery editor off-line so if little Johnny wants to make virtual boobies on his GTR, he can. Just keep it in your living room, thank you.

Yeah, I would assume the livery editor would be offline as well as on, too. I would also assume a complaint system would only affect people who take their hentai tentacle rape liveries online. As well as it should; if somebody wants to keep it on their own personal system and aren't sharing with the world, then yeah, they can keep doing that.

Well, sometimes yes. On MAG for example, I run into a few players that I have on my block list. The same applied to MW2 when I played that one. I sometimes think the block list is only for the message end of things.

Really? Hmmm, I'm still learning with it. I'm also shocked at the random (seemingly en masse) messages I get on PSN from guys about game trading or "sick deals" or such. I never thought spam would happen on a gaming console...

Excellent idea. I mentioned it above (Yes, I don't read the whole post prior to posting, I am more a read and post as I go). That sounds like a simple solution that would keep all parties involved happy.

I like reading and discussing valid points on this site. I don't have a problem with that. What I do not like is one poster feels the need to post the same thing over and over again. Not pointing a finger at you, but there is a few people on this site who do nothing but post in a negative fashion. But whatever. I am learning to ignore and avoid threads.:)

Heh, I think we already agreed then! It would be an ideal solution, and I hope that whenever PD does incorporate a livery editor (er, ASAP!), they could include that little check box and sort the whole thing out that way.

I'm probably more towards the negative side... I try to balance it out with the things I'm genuinely excited about 👍

Agreed. Not going to turn this discussion into a premium v. standard debate, but I am the side of waiting and seeing when the game actually comes out, or some 18 mp photos of them.

Yeah, we've got the one thread for that... which I imagine will explode again once we can get those 18mp shots of them (if that size is available for them).

Copy that.:dopey:

68 days!

Maybe the quitters will be less of an issue for me with the full game, since there will probably be fuller races if I'm doing random ones. With Prologue, it was usually only 1 or 2 opponents unless there was a league racing at the same time. Being in a 10 lap race and having the other person quit after a lap is utterly annoying to me because there's really no point in finishing other than practice, since I won't get any prize money.

Going slightly, ahem, off-topic but regarding quitters, sometimes in a 10 lap race with only one opponent ( and this has happened to me quite a few times ) they do not quit as in leaving the game but simply stop driving and wait until you finish to apparantly collect easy cash.
What I do if I have the time is indeed drive all 10 laps and simply stop before the finish line forcing them to either drive the remaining laps or quit the game.
That way I can practice with a smile on my face knowing they will have a nasty surprise waiting for them ( they often react in a way which is just priceless as they didn't saw that one coming ).:D

Going slightly, ahem, off-topic but regarding quitters, sometimes in a 10 lap race with only one opponent ( and this has happened to me quite a few times ) they do not quit as in leaving the game but simply stop driving and wait until you finish to apparantly collect easy cash.
What I do if I have the time is indeed drive all 10 laps and simply stop before the finish line forcing them to either drive the remaining laps or quit the game.
That way I can practice with a smile on my face knowing they will have a nasty surprise waiting for them ( they often react in a way which is just priceless as they didn't saw that one coming ).:D

Heh... I never thought about doing that... you are an evil, evil man :lol:.

Though since I still don't own every car in Prologue, I want the credits, and I also want some fun competition online, so if they do decide to sit in the race, just off in a sand trap somewhere, I try to cross the line ASAP so I can move on and hopefully find someone decent. Need to just grab the Citroen and F2007 and then I think I'll start doing what you mention :D

Veering back on-topic: I got Prologue too late to see the Spec changes, but from what I understand the game is very different in Spec III than it was upon original release. So the people who mention a livery editor is still possible as a DLC pack later on do have a good point; it's entirely possible. I'm definitely hoping, because I sure don't want to wait for the next full game to get one... who knows how long that'll be.

Heh... I never thought about doing that... you are an evil, evil man :lol:.

Thank you for the compliment :D, about new features like a livery editor, etc. being available by DLC, that could happen ( at least new cars and a track have been added in Prologue amongst further improvements ) I guess and hope will happen.
All of those who claim Kaz being for whatever reason not that keen on DLC apparantly are simply proven wrong to an extend by the fact they already did it.
I think Kaz wants to include as much as he can in the game at release date and I think that may have caused this perceived reluctance to DLC.
That's however completely different to saying any form of new content becoming available by DLC won't happen, it already did.

Kaz might not like DLC, but Sony sure does, because DLC=$$$.
And since they pay his bills, they get what they want. See GT:PSP, Move & 3D integration for examples.

Thank you for the compliment :D, about new features like a livery editor, etc. being available by DLC, that could happen ( at least new cars and a track have been added in Prologue amongst further improvements ) I guess and hope will happen.
All of those who claim Kaz being for whatever reason not that keen on DLC apparantly are simply proven wrong to an extend by the fact they already did it.
I think Kaz wants to include as much as he can in the game at release date and I think that may have caused this perceived reluctance to DLC.
That's however completely different to saying any form of new content becoming available by DLC won't happen, it already did.

I've been thinking the same thing; they've already done DLC, no reason to assume it won't be done for the full proper game as well. And if karts were moved forward from a "planned for GT6" to "let's fit it into GT5 then", surely a livery editor must be being worked on somewhere in PD, Kaz mentioned it in that slideshow ages ago. Quick, someone from Sony "leak" that a livery editor will be in! ;)

It does seem like the single most likely "new feature" that could be DLC, as opposed to the more likely DLC of more content in the forms of cars and tracks.

And since they pay his bills, they get what they want. See GT:PSP, Move & 3D integration for examples.

We haven't had any DLC to pay for yet with Prologue (or the pre-order bonuses for PSP). And it works both ways; they pay his bills, but Kaz provides Sony with a huge chunk of money, either directly through GT related products, or indirectly by selling more systems because of his games.

I've been thinking the same thing; they've already done DLC, no reason to assume it won't be done for the full proper game as well. And if karts were moved forward from a "planned for GT6" to "let's fit it into GT5 then", surely a livery editor must be being worked on somewhere in PD, Kaz mentioned it in that slideshow ages ago. Quick, someone from Sony "leak" that a livery editor will be in! ;)

It does seem like the single most likely "new feature" that could be DLC, as opposed to the more likely DLC of more content in the forms of cars and tracks.

I think they may have several unknown projects ( livery editor being one ) going on which they can decide to implement into GT5 from the start, later by DLC or save for GT6 according to how far developed or desired it is and whether a certain Sony CEO can keep schtum......

Although cars are indeed the more obvious DLC candidates I was expecting this to be quite essential for this type of game as unlike previous GT-games whereby a certain amount of cars were fixed during the lifespan of several years, on this generation of consoles newly released real life cars could simply be added during the lifespan of the game.

Maybe not only benificial for PD and Sony but also a great way to promote a newly released car by the manufacturer to the masses not necessarily keeping up with automotive news.
They could I guess theoretically, as I think they won't admit and even strongly deny it, be paid by the manufacturers or at least get something in return to make DLC profitable without asking money for it ( ofcourse an assumption ).

SlipZtrEm

...so then I shouldn't tell you that the next three times, I had that same problem ;)? Yeah, it does get annoying, but found a small group on here I race with regularly.

Ha Ha! It's not just GT5P, I remember PGR3 on the 360, and how that was my first online racing experience. Should have learned my lesson. Yeah, when GT5 comes out, I'll be looking to this place to find some good people to race with.

Excellent point. I never got to involved with the online features in GT5P since my main focus was centered on the Gold trophies in the singleplayer area. I could imagine the frustration of that however, especially since there was no credits at the end.

Yeah, I would assume the livery editor would be offline as well as on, too. I would also assume a complaint system would only affect people who take their hentai tentacle rape liveries online. As well as it should; if somebody wants to keep it on their own personal system and aren't sharing with the world, then yeah, they can keep doing that.

I was never hopeful for the Livery editor anyways because I just couldn't see Kaz allowing the cars to be disgraced like that. I am hopeful that a paint system and sponsor decal system is in place though.

Really? Hmmm, I'm still learning with it. I'm also shocked at the random (seemingly en masse) messages I get on PSN from guys about game trading or "sick deals" or such. I never thought spam would happen on a gaming console...

Indeed. I am constantly telling people to quit the bull, or at least quit sending it to me. I have removed people off my friends list for their continued spamming. Yeah, I only add players to my block list if they are team killers in FPS games. Needless to say it's full. I need to do some research on it to see if it actually blocks players from games that I am in.

Heh, I think we already agreed then! It would be an ideal solution, and I hope that whenever PD does incorporate a livery editor (er, ASAP!), they could include that little check box and sort the whole thing out that way.

Perhaps the answer is DLC. It's not important to me, but I know it is to others. There is always GT6.:ouch:

I'm probably more towards the negative side... I try to balance it out with the things I'm genuinely excited about 👍

Agreed.:)

Yeah, we've got the one thread for that... which I imagine will explode again once we can get those 18mp shots of them (if that size is available for them).

It never occurred to me that GT5's standard cars would not have the 18MP option. I hope that's not going to be the case. If it is, you (and others) might be right when it comes to the quality of the standard cars. That could be the barometer.

Stop that! Ha!!

No, that's not what he said. Kaz is also one of the Execs at SONY so what he does or doesn't like gets notice. But again, kaz is against releasing DLC immediately following the release of the game not against DLC in general.

The biggest problem with quitters in prologue used to be with fuller races. If the host screwed up and quit the race, the whole race crashed. Hopefully the network code for GT5 will take that into account with host migration or something.

Ha Ha! It's not just GT5P, I remember PGR3 on the 360, and how that was my first online racing experience. Should have learned my lesson. Yeah, when GT5 comes out, I'll be looking to this place to find some good people to race with.

:cheers:

Indeed. I am constantly telling people to quit the bull, or at least quit sending it to me. I have removed people off my friends list for their continued spamming. Yeah, I only add players to my block list if they are team killers in FPS games. Needless to say it's full. I need to do some research on it to see if it actually blocks players from games that I am in.

So going further O/T: how do people who aren't on my friends list, or even on the "players you've met" list, send me stupid crap messages about "sweet deals" or things like that? RAAAAAGE.

Perhaps the answer is DLC. It's not important to me, but I know it is to others. There is always GT6.:ouch:

Oh no you di'yant! :lol:

Perhaps, indeed.

It never occurred to me that GT5's standard cars would not have the 18MP option. I hope that's not going to be the case. If it is, you (and others) might be right when it comes to the quality of the standard cars. That could be the barometer.

Maybe I should actually bring that up in that thread... but I really wouldn't be surprised if PD does limit the Photo Mode output limit if people are using that tier. It just makes sense; pixelation is an issue in GT4's Photo Mode, and it's output is pathetically small compared to 18MP. Images that big will very quickly show up the poly count and texture resolutions...

Stop that! Ha!!

67! :dopey:

The biggest problem with quitters in prologue used to be with fuller races. If the host screwed up and quit the race, the whole race crashed. Hopefully the network code for GT5 will take that into account with host migration or something.

Host migration would be handy; I have it happen fairly often in Fat Princess. But I question how it'd work with something like racing, what with all the accuracy that needs to be dealt with. I guess we'll see about that too.

So... on-topic... surely there is some level of a livery editor working somewhere in the offices at Polyphony. The Chromelines, Stealths, and this recent mention of a return of Race-Mods, not to mention that it is a hugely requested feature from fans, leads me to believe they must have some system in place for making the afore-mentioned specials as quickly and as painlessly as possible...

Wouldn't it be funny if through the use of livery editor we could get real life sponsors. Now that i think of it i think its possible that this will happen in the future. With gaming becoming so big, I think the best racers online could strike deals with sponsors and then they will get payed to race and have online tournaments. It will turn out like that south park episode of Guitar Hero :lol:

Wouldn't it be funny if through the use of livery editor we could get real life sponsors. Now that i think of it i think its possible that this will happen in the future. With gaming becoming so big, I think the best racers online could strike deals with sponsors and then they will get payed to race and have online tournaments. It will turn out like that south park episode of Guitar Hero :lol:

I can total see that happening. with a livery editor, sponsors could have tournaments too see who can best represent their company and have online races and tournaments with the winner getting a custom car not ingame with their design.

To bad no live editor for the cars but track editor will do for now. Still disappointing though. Kinda cool if you can race especially online to show off your artistic decals and paint job on your cars.

Last edited:
Change the colour after purchase?

Yeah like if we wish the Corvette we bought in yellow we could make white so we don't have to purchase two of the same car. Just a hunch, if we don't get a livery editor that might be the next best thing.

I sort of hope it's not in gt5 because the game will end up full of cop cars batmobiles and taxis they will probably be the better ones.
A paint shop would be good enough for me aswell

It would be easier to repaint your car,rather than having to re enter a competition to win the car again(hopefully in the right colour)

I wouldn't so much want a livery editor as much as what was offered in GT2, as I loved those modifications available. The problem is half of these cars wouldn't have those "racing" schemes since the cars aren't really raced. Where would you find an FXX or a Bugatti with a racing scheme?

My R8:
http://szrt.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=84997275

Rooftop%20Drift.jpg

Last edited:
One thing i realised about "livery Editor" in FM2/3 was that the only kind of cars i liked to design were "fantasy realistic" racing car schemes. By that i mean, cars with basic pattern/design (nothing like a Japanese anime or TheMatrix Neo face) livery, with custom made sponsors, as well as my country flag and name on the car.

All my "cool" car designs are always about that. So in farseeing, if there's any type of "livery editing" available (to its most basic functionality), i'd like it to be about Sponsorship.

I know i bring this up a lot, but that's yet another design feature that worked very well in Codemaster's GRID. You could choose from a varity of patterns, but most importantly, whichever sponsors you were using to make money (another cool design feature if you ask me), they would automatically appear on your car. That not only made sense, but made the cars, every cars, on every track, in every races, look like proper race cars. Be it a simple sponsor, or a multitude of them; they'd always appear on the car.

Here's an example of what i mean, if ya'll can see it; That's the Z06 i like to race online and in A class races in FM3: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/game/gallery/detail/default.htm?photoid=1730829

Last edited:
I like livery editor in Ferrari Challenge, it would be good to have something like that in GT5, its nothing special but its good enough and would be simple to put in the game...

Back