if i suck in GT6 would i be a bad driver?

• Thread starter Hawkfrost
  • 72 comments
United States
Sacramento
Hawkfrost280
Ok I have this steering wheel thing for GT6 and I I'm not good I most of the time crash into other cars or go off the track, wouldn't that mean I'm just not a good driver?

not necessarily. it means you aren't good yet. Wheels take a while to get used to and video games do not offer depth perception. in video games you are usually driving at around 90% of the cars limits where in the real world you realistically should never be driving more than say 50% of the cars limits. it sounds weird but slowing down will be the number 1 best trick to becoming a faster driver in game.

All that being bad at GT6 means is that you are bad at GT6. Conversely, being good at GT6 doesn't mean you'll be a great driver either; it means you're good at a game.

I wouldn't be too worried about it!

The way you drive in the game doesn't necessarily mean you can and/or will drive the same way in the real world (and vice-versa).

For one thing, GT6 is not a perfect sim. It is very good and emulates real world-physics, but it has it's flaws. It also sometimes turns people into fearless drivers who remain unfazed by full throttle, hard cornering and the general idea of crashing. With real world danger out of the picture, everyone gets a boosted sense of bravery -- This can lead to some very fast driving from people who wouldn't dare push a car that hard in the real world (even if they potentially could), but also often leads to a lot of crashing due to lack of caution and/or being so close to the car's limit.

But at the same time, I myself find GT6 driving difficult compared to reality in some ways.
*You have no depth perception, so it's hard to tell how close/far away things are.
*You see no movement in your peripheral vision, so it's tell how fast you're going.
*You feel no g forces, so it's hard to tell how hard you're accelerating/decelerating/turning.

Sure, you can see all of these things on the screen, but you can't feel them. Actual driving gives you a lot of sensory input that your brain can use to help you make better judgements. In GT6 you have to get used to driving in an incomplete representation of reality, and that can take time depending on your skill level.

So your answer is probably, as some have already said, "Not necessarily".

Last edited:
I gave my mother a crack at a Ford Ka one time, a car she drove for several years, and she struggled to make the thing move at all, let alone in any safe manner. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

You need to develop muscle memory and that requires practice specially if you don't have track experience in real life.

Meanwhile if you are bad at GT6 you will be bad playing any decent sim with a wheel, except arcades, so your problem is not GT6 dependant. Give it time, you will be surprised to how fast you adapt. You will never want to come back to the controller.

Anyway if you mean a driver in a public road you should not have any problem or 99% of the people would not have a driver licence.

The last guy who I saw "suck" at GT6 just won his class in a local touring car series. In an underpowered (for the class) 1.3 liter Mazda2. I could lap him within five laps on GT6 (despite being way out of practice), but I don't think I'd come within five seconds of his time on the track in the same car.

Horses for courses.

Just keep practicing, you'll get good at it. And stuff you learn in the game can help in real life. But remember, in real life you have so much more feedback and control, which actually makes it easier to judge the limits of the car, even if you can't get as close as in GT6.

So don't fret it too much.

Ok I have this steering wheel thing for GT6 and I I'm not good I most of the time crash into other cars or go off the track, wouldn't that mean I'm just not a good driver?

What sort of wheel do you have?

Some of the cheap wheels are worse than useless and even a GT Academy champion would struggle to get round the track.

Great question . . . and what absolutely great responses!

I read in a NASCAR mag - many, many years ago - that when the NASCAR game first came out, many of the actual NASCAR drivers tried the game and were shocked at how difficult it was, a few of them failing miserably to perform with any success at all in the game.

Painting a picture of a house is not the same as painting a real house. But keep at it. It does help make you a better driver in the long run - doesn't mean it'll turn you into a real ace overnight.

I guess it's just a game anyway
It maybe just a game, but it does actually help to be a more confident driver.
I played various racing games for hours every day when I was younger in the 80's and 90's, Test Drive 1+2 (the originals), Outrun, Indy 500, Pole Position and many others.
Then I started driving lessons when I was seventeen. I had only had three lessons and my instructor put me in for my test. I passed first time, and I honestly believe that the years of gaming beforehand, along with my love of cars, made it easier. Although there was no feedback, I couldn't 'feel' the road in the games, but they definitely improved my judgement, awareness and my reactions to everything around me.
Just keep practicing, you'll get good at it. And stuff you learn in the game can help in real life. But remember, in real life you have so much more feedback and control, which actually makes it easier to judge the limits of the car, even if you can't get as close as in GT6.

So don't fret it too much.
^^
👍

The GT6 is the simulator (ok not the best sim) for fast sport or racing driving, is not driving simulator for commuter in streets in everyday life with the car as a daily means of transport...

what this means; that if you driving with good wheel (with 900 degrees for example) too long in a simulator, and read and you know what the racing driving techniques is, such as racing lines, braking points, weight transformation balance for traction, control understeer and oversteer and trailbraking for example, and after many thousands of laps, specially in the same track, you have no (or very little) control in your car in speed or quick lap.... yes maybe your are not so good in racing driving or very fast sport driving special in a racing track in real life.... because in the simulation has many common things in physics and techniques for driving fast with reality, and with a decent wheel there have the basic informations and feedback to help you drive a fast with racing philosophy....

that's is not means you are not good or safe daily driver for commuter car in real streets out of racing tracks, this last is a different story...

read how to drive fast with real racing techniques, lot and lot of practice, and you became a good virtual driver.... sorry to much for my very bad english.

read how to drive fast with real racing techniques, lot and lot of practice, and you became a good virtual driver.... sorry to much for my very bad english.

Your English is clear enough to understand, and ^this^ is probably the best advice for any learner wanting to improve.

Driving in the real world provides far more feedback than any game can replicate. With the game, you're often correcting for things you see on the screen rather than things you felt [potentially] whole seconds earlier.

I like to think of myself as not too bad at GT6.

But then again I am absolutely useless at Race 07.

But... I am absolutely amazing at Mario Kart.

I tried an actual go-kart once and was dead slow.

I drove a proper car once and didn't crash.

How you perform on a game does not translate to how well you would perform in the real world. Whilst Nissan are adamant that Gran Turismo can be used to find real driving talent, just because you aren't very good (at the moment) does not necessarily mean that you would be woeful in an actual car. However, you can use Gran Turismo to hone your skills, and especially if you join an online club, you can learn how to race.

GT6 situations are so rare, in real life if your to start racing the situations are totally different. How many people get to drive a Nascar flat out at Indy, or a GT3 car flat at the Nordshleife though corners at 100 mph.

Fact is when you start racing you start gradually and work your way up. Taking that modded out street car through some cones at 25 mph is a lot different. :lol: Even the Karting in GT6 is different from real life, the speeds you start with are advanced the the max, straight away your flying along like a world championship kart guy. :crazy:

Nah, I suck at GT (Which I've played for years), but I'm alright at driving (Which I've been doing for about a month).

Probably not. I'm awful on GT6 but I'm actually not bad in a kart in real life. And in a car I like to think I'm a pretty good driver.

Just stick with the license tests till you get gold or at least silver.
And if you want to replicate real world driving, play GT whilst texting/ drinking coffee or my personal fave eating a bowl of cerial and have a few kids behind you yelling and fighting.;)

U got driving license in real life then u are qualified to go

I mean how often u guys would push the gas pedal all the way down when you are driving in real traffic?

I mean how often u guys would push the gas pedal all the way down when you are driving in real traffic?
ALL THE DAMN TIME. IF I SEE A CURVE AND THE SPEED LIMIT IS 35. ITS GETTING TAKEN AT 50.

Generalizing a bit too much there, plenty of people get their licenses in various states, but plenty of people get themselves in accidents, and aren't always great/good/acceptable in terms of their driving.

There is a difference which I hope all people realize that driving is one thing. Anything else you do while driving is a distraction, whether or not your state/local authority has laws describing what is and isn't. For the sake of others, just drive when you are in the drivers seat. Anything and everything can wait. A text, spilled coffee, or finding directions.

GT6 can help you learn and translate with what happens in the game vs. reality. There are many things I have learned from the game which I know has made me a better driver. I'd even be tempted to say that I probably would be an average driver without the game, but after a few close calls, and actually knowing what to do and the limits I cannot exceed, I have gotten myself out of being in anyone else's accident, and I plan to never be involved.

It does take practice both in game and reality, but after a while it is a skill you don't lose. You learn from mistakes. If you get it wrong in GT6, restart until you get it right, because when you attempt to do the same in reality, and whether or not you think both correlate, you'll think before you do.

Nope, this is a game & should never be mistaken for the real world. You should never have to deal with stupid idiots driving at the speeds you see here. There are plenty of idiots driving at the posted speed limit to deal with in the real world. A great majority of them have cell phones shoved up to their ear. Ladies putting on make up, guys trying to shave their mug...
Enjoy the fact that in this simulation things are not really damaged, & the idiots on the road with you in real life can kill you. They can can take you out in a second. Did a bit of illegal street racing when I was young, 12 foot tall & bulletproof. Best story I have is a friend trying to explain how his 69 Firebird ended up in the lake. Let's just say his dad was not buying it.
I had a 68 Road runner & he had me beat, he got greedy & wanted to be sitting on his car with a beer when I got to the end. We raced in opposite directions around the local lake. I ended up going to look for him with out my victory beer.

Last edited:
Back