If you've ever wondered if you're using the "correct" camera view...

• Thread starter Dr_Watson
  • 71 comments

Dr_Watson

≣PURE
Premium
United States
Buffalo, NY
PURE_DrWatson
This is all you need.

upload_2014-1-27_21-6-39.png

upload_2014-1-27_21-5-16.png

:D

Correct is the camera angle that works best for each individual. I prefer bumper cam as well, but I used to do better with the rear exterior view. Hell, if you really want to analyze "correct" then the only "correct" view is cockpit since that's what it's like in real-life. You don't drive a car from the front bumper close to the pavement now do you?

Side-note: so far I'm enjoying Kaz. It's a little silly at times but it's interesting to learn about GT and PD's history.

With the triple screen support coming I assume that it will be possible to do the same thing as with GT5 and select triple screen while only using one screen. It allows significant adjustability to the camera. For example, a view that is effectively like bumper view but higher can be achieved when using roof cam with settings adjusted. Closer chase cam and many other permutations are possible.

Correct is the camera angle that works best for each individual. I prefer bumper cam as well, but I used to do better with the rear exterior view. Hell, if you really want to analyze "correct" then the only "correct" view is cockpit since that's what it's like in real-life. You don't drive a car from the front bumper close to the pavement now do you?

Side-note: so far I'm enjoying Kaz. It's a little silly at times but it's interesting to learn about GT and PD's history.

aww, lighten up bro... little friendly ball busing. This topic needs some lightheartedness in a long history of angst. :P

Guess I haven't been playing right either.

I prefer cockpit view, gives me a better sense of weight transfer and adds more character to each car. Some are harder to pilot just because it's more of a challenge to see.

Whoever can consistently hit right handed apexes in the R18 at speed is better than I'll ever be.

With modern LCD screens there are no particular health issues deriving from being "too" close to them, unless you're really close or if your monitor has an excessively strong backlight setting.

He's sat awfully close to that screen.

I would say he is sitting a "little" too close to the TV, but not much. Many drivers are sitting way too much away from the screen anyway. If you are interested in a perfect field of view just watch this video:

Hell, if you really want to analyze "correct" then the only "correct" view is cockpit since that's what it's like in real-life. You don't drive a car from the front bumper close to the pavement now do you?

I don't sit ten feet back from the windshield either. :P

Correct would be the one that corresponds to reality, the one closest to it. Most race drivers actually sit inside the car, not strapped to the bumper, or hovering 40 feet up in the air behind it!

Bumper camera is in fact not a bumper camera. It's positioned at the same height as the interior camera, which is positioned at the same height as the driver avatar's eyes. It might be positioned further up front than the interior camera, but that's hard to tell.

I just tested the strapped-to-the-bumper myth: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/bumper-camera-myth-busted.301238/

I know, read it & responded. The driver is still strapped to the bumper, although in a vertical position.

👍

Also, there's nothing correct about being placed in the center of every car, as if it's a McLaren F1. In a right hand drive car, you sit on the right hand side, & with a left hand drive car the left. A race driver has to adapt to this change when switching from right to left hand drive & vice versa, regarding his driving line & placement of the car on track. Playing the game in bumper cam does away with this aspect of reality.

VBR
Also, there's nothing correct about being placed in the center of every car, as if it's a McLaren F1. In a right hand drive car, you sit on the right hand side, & with a left hand drive car the left. A race driver has to adapt to this change when switching from right to left hand drive & vice versa, regarding his driving line & placement of the car on track. Playing the game in bumper cam does away with this aspect of reality.

That is true.

I wonder what's more to see in bumper cam than from cockpit view. Cigarette stubs right under car? They are actually the same with better sense of what the car's doing in cockpit view, the only thing that matters is probably slightly worse framerate.

VBR
Whilst this is very true, in car view does away with reality due to the distance you sit from your tv screen, and the fact that there is a set of hands and a steering wheel in front of your hands and controller/wheel. If in car view did away with the wheel and hands, and moved the camera forward a little further, then it would be a realistic representation. At the moment, none of the cameras are perfect.

What I find funny is Kaz using a cheap DFGT :P But I suppose thats not what he normally uses...
I don't think he "normally" plays GT anymore. Not after GT4.
He "races" in real cars now, and plays GT for cameras.
If he did actually "play" like we do, I think we'd get much better, much more bug free games, like before GT5..

---------------------------

And yeah, "bumper cam" is incorrect term.

How you watching Kaz, is it still Hulu exclusive?

Back