If you've ever wondered if you're using the "correct" camera view...

• Thread starter Dr_Watson
  • 71 comments
Whilst this is very true, in car view does away with reality due to the distance you sit from your tv screen, and the fact that there is a set of hands and a steering wheel in front of your hands and controller/wheel. If in car view did away with the wheel and hands, and moved the camera forward a little further, then it would be a realistic representation. At the moment, none of the cameras are perfect.

Yeah I agree with this, interior view has as many compromises as any other view. I use, and always have, 'bumper cam', mostly because there's a greater sensation of speed.

As a thought, since GT6 came out, I've had more problems than normal with judging where the front corners of the car are (tapping other cars on close racing etc.) I wonder if in '6 they've moved the camera back further than usual, meaning now that you have to take greater account of the 'invisible' front bumper?

BWX
He "races" in real cars now, and plays GT for cameras.
If he did actually "play" like we do, I think we'd get much better, much more bug free games, like before GT5..

Do you think he plays the same version as us?
And I remember reading somewhere that when he was at the Nurburgring 24h when he was not on the track he was on the simulator practicing, and they even solve some aero problem there.

VBR
Also, there's nothing correct about being placed in the center of every car, as if it's a McLaren F1. In a right hand drive car, you sit on the right hand side, & with a left hand drive car the left. A race driver has to adapt to this change when switching from right to left hand drive & vice versa, regarding his driving line & placement of the car on track. Playing the game in bumper cam does away with this aspect of reality.
I would guess the reason for centering the driver in the first person view is because you can't see the car around you, therefore making it difficult to remember/judge your cars position on either side (leading to unintended collisions or apex misses).

Just a thought.

apparently that's how he rolls at home too...

View attachment 107349

View attachment 107359
I will say though, he has WONDERFUL taste in furniture.

That's not his home.

Whilst this is very true, in car view does away with reality due to the distance you sit from your tv screen, and the fact that there is a set of hands and a steering wheel in front of your hands and controller/wheel. If in car view did away with the wheel and hands, and moved the camera forward a little further, then it would be a realistic representation. At the moment, none of the cameras are perfect.

You can adjust your relative position by adjusting the zoom. Using the narrowest zoom places you much closer to the windshield and brings the focal length more in line with how you'd view the environment around you in the real world. The turns actually veer off the sides of the screen as you travel through them as opposed to being perpetually stretched out in front of you and the distances are more accurate.

The one concession to using the narrowest zoom is that some cars will have their instrument cluster obstructed.

That's not his home.

You can adjust your relative position by adjusting the zoom. Using the narrowest zoom places you much closer to the windshield and brings the focal length more in line with how you'd view the environment around you in the real world. The turns actually veer off the sides of the screen as you travel through them as opposed to being perpetually stretched out in front of you and the distances are more accurate.

The one concession to using the narrowest zoom is that some cars will have their instrument cluster obstructed.

Like sitting in the back seat with binoculars.

I wish they'd just let us adjust the FOV and seating position ourselves, with limited freedom obviously. Then save the setting, per car.

I would be much closer to the windshield, with a similar FOV to "normal view".. (AKA incorrectly as bumper cam)

The A-pillar would be just visible on the edge of the screen on most cars, but FOV would be enough to see more than "zoomed" view we have now.

You can change the level of zoom in the cockpit, that way you can rid yourself of the hands/wheel.

I now only use cockpit view (narrowest) to make the game more of a challenge and 'realistic'.

There isn't a "right" view but I'd guess at follow cam being the best for gauging car positioning and angle into the corner.

I love this thread, I've wondered this since GT 1... I just wish all the camera and head movement was in this view to show inertia better. That's on thing that the cockpit does well.

But there really is no substitute for a proper hood cam with a rear view mirror.

My real seating position is bolted to the floor board of my race car and I can't see the road in front of me... This drives 'normal people' nuts but its a trade off for a lower center of gravity... So the bumper cam is weird to me... The surface of the track is really the last thing you need to see on a racetrack... You would be surprised how much faster you are even in GT if you look up, but the bumper cam mixed with suspension dive, promotes a very false behavior/habit.

Try it, force yourself to look up more, try not to look at the track at less than 20 yards out, use signs and objects as reference, report back your results.

Riding curbs (mentioned above), and why they exist; most turning in a race car is actually sliding at a slip angle, drifting ever so slightly on the edge of mechanical tire grip. When you set up a turn you factor in where your going to end up based on entry, anticipating drifting to the outside. Its a lot like pool in thinking about where the que ball ends up so you have a good next shot. The idea is if you 'aim' to hit the apex you'll end up just slipping around it and its the first indication of where you're going to end up at your given trajectory.

Curbs are there because many other factors can change on any given lap and this allows for some degree of error correction. Of course more consistent drivers learn to use this and it's ok so long as 2 tires remain on the racing surface at once. This is also why tracks like Laguna Seca and Silverstone have 'sausage strips'. Laguna Saca has very extreme bright red sausage strips and aren't modeled in GT for some reason... (Its a shame as those are what give this track a lot of personality to drivers) But those are raised aggressively by several inches, and have claimed many a front end to the guy trying to eek out a couple tenths.

But what about those large painted areas found beyond the curbs on many European tracks? Those are open to interpretation based on regulation rules but many series still consider those the racing surface in events like DTM and VIR but they are not reliable to use consistently as they are often raised and slick intentionally, but they do promote aggressive driving and that's what the fans like. GT is very inconsistent about these as you can cut the corners at the end of spa and beginning if Mona pretty aggressively, but you can't run wide on Nurburgring GP... But again, those areas painted areas have several definitions depending on who you ask.

G27 and hood view works best for me.

I would love to use the cockpit camera, but seeing two steering wheels in front of me annoys me. If I could remove the in game steering wheel (or at least stop it from moving) I would use the cockpit camera.

I am fine with looking over my G27 and onto the hood. It is what I see while driving in real life anyway.

I would love to use the cockpit camera, but seeing two steering wheels in front of me annoys me. If I could remove the in game steering wheel (or at least stop it from moving) I would use the cockpit camera.

word... best cockpits ever are the one's simbin made for the GTR+Race series of games. Steering wheel delete, adjustable chair position, and the camera looks into corners as you turn. GT's cockpits are so 1990's.

news_Lance-630x300.jpg

this is the correct view :)

source: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/florida-winter-series-day-simulator

Quite right! Theres no Bumper and no Cam, just millions of forever moving pixels on a tv screen!
👍
Not in the same way as "there is no spoon", but as in it is not simulating a bumper cam. It is not at bumper level, it is at driver's eye level.
There is no bumper cam in GT6 I believe..
It's more like a centered invisible cockpit cam
while real bumper cam is way too low to be used for driving.
Exactly.

Back