Inter-Continental Test Race

When I ran it yesterday there were a lot of pdqa00....( Polyphony Digital Quality Assurance ?) usernames running, presumably the "testers". I'm sure they must have been testing the crash physics because I got side swiped by a couple of them on more than one occasion!!!
nige

Hey dave, I woulda stayed on longer today but the constant ramming and connection problems is just bad right now. I don't want to get irritated. Haha.

Hey dave, I woulda stayed on longer today but the constant ramming and connection problems is just bad right now. I don't want to get irritated. Haha.

My last handful of races had REALLY bad lag issues, so I got off. I'm doing some "house cleaning" now of my friends list.

PSN better increase the number of friends. Most of the people I have on my list, I want to keep on the list.

So do these new region specific rooms so any improvement over the normal JPN rooms? Like does it find a race faster, less fail errors, is there less lag?

Maybe this is PD trying out their regional servers.... All I hope is that once its out world wide people who bought the JPN version can race on servers in their own country!

PD isnt that stupid to think only people in JPN bought it, they know there must be 100,000's of copies abroad!..

Im going to try out the Europe room later today, is there anything to indicate which room is which?

Robin

I don't really notice any difference in these races.

PD isnt that stupid to think only people in JPN bought it, they know there must be 100,000's of copies abroad!..

They know how many users outside Japan are using GT5P online by the IP addresses joining the Japanese races. Something I think Sony and PD would have fully expected.

The location of the server doesn't really matter. They are only needed for player matchup. The connection to the host is the most important factor, and the host is always 1st in the starting grid. This is also why sometimes there are disconnects while racing, the host ends up in the sand and realises he can't win anymore, so he quits and everybody is disconnected.

Also the reason why there are so many problems with joining races is due to ping, the matchup servers try to fill the races with players with the lowest pings. That is why sometimes we cant join any server, and if we can join we end up last in the starting grid.

The connection to the host is the most important factor, and the host is always 1st in the starting grid. This is also why sometimes there are disconnects while racing, the host ends up in the sand and realises he can't win anymore, so he quits and everybody is disconnected.

So you're saying we can host races now? I read gtplanet eveyday and doubt I could miss such important news.:P

So you're saying we can host races now? I read gtplanet eveyday and doubt I could miss such important news.:P

Yes we can host races, but we can't choose to be the host. The matchup servers select the host of the race, probably the one with the highest upload speed, along with other factors.

But hey, don't take my word for it.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/support/d1775c41.html

Matching error occurs

< GT5 prologue >' The &#12464;&#12521;&#12531;&#12484;&#12540;&#12522;&#12473;&#12514; 5 prologue ' Online (the online) matching error occurring in the race/lace event of mode, there are times when it cannot participate in race/lace.

Online of this software (the online) with race/lace of mode, it distinguishes automatically the prayer of the circuit environment which is suited for play as a host, focusing on the host it communicates with the prayer. When there was no circuit environment which is suited for play in the prayer which participates in the same race/lace, matching error becomes easy to come out.

Because of that, if possible participating as a host, when it receives, also the your other customer who participates in the same race/lace including to your many customers with good quality circuit environment, matching error becomes difficult to come out.

Please refer to the page below concerning decision of circuit environment of the customer and improvement method.

Thanks for posting that translation .... I hope PD changes that when the full game is out because I would hate to be in a race where the host ends it by leaving early.

Wow, I was in the thinking that PD housed all of the servers on site like in Warhawk.

I don't have Warhawk so I don't know if players are playing together worldwide of if it is region limited.

I enjoy racing against people from other countries (when they don't aim for you). But, when voice chat goes live, it could be an issue. In order for us to have solid races without errors, if they need to have region only races, so be it. MotorStorm has region specific online racing, which sucks. There isn't as much choice when you are limited to your country.

It was a while ago I played Warhawk, but I think that you could search for Local, Asia, Europe and US servers.

You are not limited to your country in MotorStorm. You are limited to PAL, NTSC (JPN) or NTSC (USA) region.

Ok so I had a go on these new races.....

I tried the EU one and it loaded very fast (went through the blue loading thing quickly) then went into the race position thingy and I was the only car!.... it stayed like that for ages and when no one else connected it cut out.

So I then tried US, same again loaded quick then it was just me and another guy in the race which was quite lame....

Tried US again and this time got 4 players, better but still quite boring...

Tried EU finally again and it couldn't find anyone to race with...

Basically there needs to be more people playing...

I think it does load faster if your in that specific region maybe because players are hosting the matches and therefore if everyone in there is from the UK for example it will launch quickly....

One thing I did notice is that all the players I raced with were a lot more skilled and curtious, this maybe due to the fact that if they have bothered to import the game they must be fans and know how to drive whereas a lot of people who will have bought it in Japan may be new to the series, bought it because of the hype and don't know how to drive or may think its burnout!

Its seems still flawed and I know this is all still in testing but basically if we can get a group of EU or US GTP'ers together we can all have good lag free races..... right now there are not enough people to play online in these test races....

Robin

Robin, over here in the States, in the early hours of the morning (or late late night) I'm finding a lot of Japanese players in the US room. My guess is this is because there are not any high speed races at Daytona, except for the US and EU Test races.

I would not want to be crawling around on the big D in Class C cars ether.

I have seen fast load times which usually results in a room of less than 10 races which I am often in the same room with.

Robin, over here in the States, in the early hours of the morning (or late late night) I'm finding a lot of Japanese players in the US room. My guess is this is because there are not any high speed races at Daytona, except for the US and EU Test races.

I would not want to be crawling around on the big D in Class C cars ether.

I have seen fast load times which usually results in a room of less than 10 races which I am often in the same room with.

hmmm, Im sure with no regional restrictions on those races JPN players will be going into those races because they want to race on the ring.

In a way they shouldn't because they will slow down the loading and make this testing pointless, im sure PD are analyzing whats happening in these test rooms for future optimization.

As you said load times are fast and race numbers are low (most likely due to less overseas owners of the game) so if we got more EU & US people into these test rooms would it be safe to assume we would still get fast load times and full races?

I still cannot believe we are not playing on actually dedicated Sony provided servers, we are in essence providing the online races to each other which explains the current absence of a lobby and on the fly race creation! PD you can't seriously keep it like this till GT5 is released??!

Robin

I still cannot believe we are not playing on actually dedicated Sony provided servers, we are in essence providing the online races to each other which explains the current absence of a lobby and on the fly race creation! PD you can't seriously keep it like this till GT5 is released??!

Robin

Xbox live is the same and it works well. And for the record is does NOT explain the lack of lobbies and user created races. It has nothing at all to do with it. There is also no reason why a race should stop when the host quits either. When this happens on live the race continues till the end then either the room dies or another user becomes the host depending on the game.

I am not sure what these tests are all about really. There is nothing euro or us specific about them. In the races I have had I was racing many of the same people in both.

I hate how one person "hosts" the game also. It's very frustrating when you are having a good race, and that person quits and ruins the race for everyone. One race I was in first and was seconds from the finish line, when the host quit.

I remember someone quoted K.Y. for saying that he didn't look at other racing sims for how they handled online racing. Real life was the inspiration.

Well, maybe there could be a thing or two to learn from other sims after all... Why not build on what others have used with success?

OK, I know this is "just" a prologue version and PD could/should be sampling data and experience for GT5, but you´re right, the online experience in GT5P is less than what it (easily) could have been from the very start.

Back