iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Does anyone know of an app or whatever that works like that Brass Monkey one ? I dont know if it's not supported anymore or what but cant seem to get it to work anymore. I liked that Brass Monkey one because it was easy to use and it was free...Is there any other free and easy to use dash displays to run through my phone ?
:cheers:

I've only got two races under my belt. Won the first one, second one I got drilled in the rear quarter panel and taken out and forced to retire, and so my safety rating is worse than when I started yet I didn't cause the incident (dude even apologises which was nice at least). So kind of a broken system, but I get it.

I've let my sub expire for now, I'll probably resub again just to gain access to Bathurst again, it sucks I really wish they would sell an offline client you could use with your bought content for when your sub runs out just for practice. They would get many sales I believe just because of their brilliant tracks, then if you want to race or participate in TTs or whatever you make sure your sub is up to date. Win win.

I've only got two races under my belt. Won the first one, second one I got drilled in the rear quarter panel and taken out and forced to retire, and so my safety rating is worse than when I started yet I didn't cause the incident (dude even apologises which was nice at least). So kind of a broken system, but I get it.

I've let my sub expire for now, I'll probably resub again just to gain access to Bathurst again, it sucks I really wish they would sell an offline client you could use with your bought content for when your sub runs out just for practice. They would get many sales I believe just because of their brilliant tracks, then if you want to race or participate in TTs or whatever you make sure your sub is up to date. Win win.

Hey buddy, I know how you feel, because as previously mentioned, I don't rate their "closed-loop" system either. I'd easily race more if they could refund SR/iRating points lost if it was CLEARLY not your fault. I feel drivers should be able to get into a car, get on a track, and drive to their best of the ability and not worry about driving to much wheel to wheel because of fear of getting struck and damaging your points. It's laughable that the tip of driving from pit lane to avoid first turn wrecks works so well.

However on the other side of the coin, there is no other sims that does multiplayer racing better.

I no longer do proper iRacing races. I suggest you join a league where they do not count SR/iRating. And I stick with official time trails to get an idea where I am at in terms of skill level. Doing this has increased my love of iRacing a lot more.

But yes, overall, what you are experiencing is normal.

As has been discussed countless times before, if you treat SR like "money" then you'll start to understand it a little more. Take for an example an incident involving one car being rear ended by another, damaging both cars and ruining both drivers races, both will lose SR and one will be more at "fault" then the other.

If treated like money (and real racing) regardless of who is at fault, both of you will need to pay to "fix" it, if somebody rips my bumper off in a real race, chances are I'm still going to be the one who will actually have to pay to fix it, I think SR works the same way. Focusing solely on maintaining your SR will make you slow and perhaps over cautious, if you're able to be aware of your surroundings and drive well without flinging the car off track in every turn then you'll be fine. What @Punknoodle is experiencing is something everyone of us has, since I've become more accustomed to iRacing, I've rarely had any race ending contact or incidents.

That being said I like the new build, I recently re-installed my Nixim brake mod, so maybe there is some sort of placebo effect going on. Tire sounds still sound a bit odd to me, but they do allow you to find the limit much quicker I find, the progressive sound is much better than in previous builds.

As has been discussed countless times before, if you treat SR like "money" then you'll start to understand it a little more. Take for an example an incident involving one car being rear ended by another, damaging both cars and ruining both drivers races, both will lose SR and one will be more at "fault" then the other.

If treated like money (and real racing) regardless of who is at fault, both of you will need to pay to "fix" it, if somebody rips my bumper off in a real race, chances are I'm still going to be the one who will actually have to pay to fix it, I think SR works the same way. Focusing solely on maintaining your SR will make you slow and perhaps over cautious, if you're able to be aware of your surroundings and drive well without flinging the car off track in every turn then you'll be fine. What @Punknoodle is experiencing is something everyone of us has, since I've become more accustomed to iRacing, I've rarely had any race ending contact or incidents.

I like that SR analogy, well done.

But I have to disagree with the incidents thing though....I mean we all can see race reports, typically 30% - 40% of the grid are +1 lap behind indicating they would of had a serious incident. I know difficult to find the actual correct average % to this, but I am right now going through the Star Mazda which is C class (for another reason), and my reviews shows me the above. Of course it's going to differ race to race, car to car but incidents are still pretty high in my view....for example it isn't low like 1% or 5% of the grid.

I did more random event spying. So took a B Class event, Blancpain sprint. I chose a a race with two splits to get an idea:
Higher SOF Race Session: 62957960/15264446 Official: 26 racers. 13 drivers were > 1 lap behind or if you want to cut it further, 11 drivers were 2+ laps behind indicating something obviously went wrong. That is a crazy 50% > 1 lap or 42% had some kind of major incident. That is pretty high since we're talking about the highest SOF in the Blancpain sprint series.

Let's see lower split (where I will be racing !! haha): 26 drivers as well. 11 drivers > 1 lap. Only 6 drivers 2+ laps behind! So actually it was cleaner than the higher SOF series. Which kind of refutes the whole, get to a higher iRating to get cleaner races?

Anyway, above is clearly just one race, so results will differ. Interested in other peoples findings.

Of course, without SR rating, incidents likely will be higher. So I am not saying SR doesn't work. I like SR.

Question: What is the SR multiplayer for unofficial races? Was thinking of getting some SR back via entering an unofficial race. Thoughts?

Last edited:
There can still be a huge difference in lap time from the fastest in a split to the slowest. People finshing a lap or two down will not always be due to serious incidents.....too slow for the split, a simple unforced driver error, many things can happen.
Again you are looking too much into all of this....Just race, have fun, forget the bad races, celebrate the good ones...Simple :)

Pretty sure you dont get any iR or SR for unofficial races.

That's correct. iR and SR are only in effect in official races and time trials. Hosted races and league sessions doesn't effect iR or SR.

Really? I did get SR in an unofficial race. unofficial as in there wasn't enough people on the server for the race to be official. Not a practice server etc..

2016 Season 1
2015-12-16 5:15 pm
Phoenix International Raceway - 2008 - Road Course
Race Session: 62976261/15271747 Unofficial

That officlal race had 4 people, thus becoming unofficial but I see people still gaining SR?

There can still be a huge difference in lap time from the fastest in a split to the slowest. People finshing a lap or two down will not always be due to serious incidents.....too slow for the split, a simple unforced driver error, many things can happen.
Again you are looking too much into all of this....Just race, have fun, forget the bad races, celebrate the good ones...Simple :)

It actually pays to look closely because if you simply look at the report you can tell due to their fast lap, average lap and how far they are behind compare to leaders, those were incidents, it wasn't because they were slow. You can also check their iRating and their average previous lap speeds to get an idea. (Also even more obvious, there was a lot of people simply DNF).

also even just logically thinking of a 3 to 4 minute gap, over the course of say a 20 - 30 laps it means it was incidents, not due to slow driving (once you average the difference out over the laps).

It's all in the detail. :)

Last edited:
What I meant by official races was Iracing official server races not Iracing official races going "unofficial". Yes if they go unofficial as in not enough people you can still gain SR but not at the same rate as if the race went official.

If your focusing on safety rating and irating your not going to enjoy Iracing. There are to many things out of your control to worry about it. If you just focus on your racing those numbers will work themselves out. If your struggling to maintain a A license than you probably should spend more time in B class and gain more experience.

If your focusing on safety rating and irating your not going to enjoy Iracing. There are to many things out of your control to worry about it. If you just focus on your racing those numbers will work themselves out. If your struggling to maintain a A license than you probably should spend more time in B class and gain more experience.

Fully agree. I stopped caring about iR and SR a few months into iracing. If your constantly worried about your stats you wont race well and more incidents can happen.

What I meant by official races was Iracing official server races not Iracing official races going "unofficial". Yes if they go unofficial as in not enough people you can still gain SR but not at the same rate as if the race went official.

Thanks. Do you know the multiplier? Is it ...80% of a full race?

It's been a while since I played iRacing...what is the quickest/best way to get a licence promotion? Just run TT until you reach 4.0 and done 4x official TT?
I would to get to B class so I can do the GT3 races

Last edited:
You guys experiencing severe FPS drops since this new build? I drop down to 25-30 frames in a race and it makes my eyes sore trying to focus.. It seems a lot of people were experiencing something similar over on the iRacing forums, just wondering if anyone else is? It's pretty frustrating.

It's been a while since I played iRacing...what is the quickest/best way to get a licence promotion? Just run TT until you reach 4.0 and done 4x official TT?

I'm honestly not sure what the exact % is but its a pretty reduced rate compared to a race. The quickest way to gain SR would be to have 0 incident races of course. If your doing road just start from the pits and ride around by yourself in the back and just pick up whatever positions you get from people crashing out and then once you get to the car you actually want to race then at that point you can start actually racing instead of riding around in the back. You can do TT's but you only get .01 or so for each one so its only really good to do those for SR when you are close to a whole number since when you hit the whole numbers you get the .50 jump.

You guys experiencing severe FPS drops since this new build? I drop down to 25-30 frames in a race and it makes my eyes sore trying to focus.. It seems a lot of people were experiencing something similar over on the iRacing forums, just wondering if anyone else is? It's pretty frustrating.

Yeah my FPS has dropped a good bit after this last update. Its been dropping little by little over the past few builds but now its getting to where I'm only getting around 50-60 with everything turned to low if I'm racing around a bunch of cars where last build I was still getting 90 ish with most things still on high and medium. At the beginning of the nordshleife now its around 50 even by myself but once I start to get away from where the GP track connect it will go back like 100-130. My pc is 4 years old now and even though I upgraded to graphics card from what it came with I did it just a month or two after getting it so its 4 years old as well. I went from 4gb ram to 8gb the other week in anticipation for the nurburgring but I still need to try and get another graphics card in a couple weeks I hope. Just trying to figure out what I need that will work with what I have now. I want to build another pc but I'll likely try and get a card first and use with what I have hopefully and then get another case and start from there.

One thing you can try if you haven't already is to run the graphics config again. I haven't tried it yet but I'm about to give it a try and see if that helps any. Some people on the forums said that helped them so its worth a try.

I think it's like qualifying, which was 0.35 but it may have changed.

Start from pit lane, drive at 7 or 8 tenths, pull well out of the way for anyone who wants to get past. Basically, everything you can to just get around the track and never have any incidents. Under no circumstances ever fight for position.

It's kind of boring, and your iR will tank a little bit, but you should gain SR so fast that it'll hardly matter. And depending on the series, you'll only finish a couple of spots behind where you would have anyway because so many people crash out.

Races of decent length with 0 incidents you can easily gain 0.5 SR or more per race. Once you're in the series you want, your iR will come back up fast.

I re ran the graphics config and it helped a little and gave me about 30 fps over what I was getting so everything seems a bit smoother because it went from 60 fps when Im in a pack of cars to 80-90 and the settings were pretty similar to what I was already running.

So for now im just going to start fresh on a pc build and get a case, power supply and motherboard with the money I have now and then between now and the march update I'll get the graphics card and processor and likely some ram. I'm hoping to use my hard drive and windows 10 in the new setup. I'm afraid after the next update with dx11 that what I have now wont even be able to run iracing good enough.

That's not a bad idea to rerun the graphics config every build.

Particles may have something to do with the framerate drop.

I had been unable to get rid of stutters no matter what graphics tweaks I used. Yesterday I edited the renderer.ini file. I edited these values :
[Graphics Options]
MaxTrackDecalsInMirrors=50
MaxTrackDecalsInCockpit=400

Stutters are finally gone ! The default values are 200 and 700. Changing them in increments of 150 increases or decreases the detail of the track textures. Before I went to 400 in cockpit , I tried 1500. Nordschleife took 13 minutes to load ! (normally 3 minutes for my PC) The graffiti looked very nice close up and this would be great for screenshots , but the R and G bars were I the red most of the time and fps was as low as 20.

So aside from a little screen tearing here and there , iracing is running silky smooth again :)

Guys I saved a replay from a race I did yesterday. When I loaded the replay I want to cut a couple of pieces from the race but when I use the scissors and go to save it says Could not save replay. Am I missing something or just being a douche?

EDIT: Ah you need to rename it cut.rpy

Last edited:
I had been unable to get rid of stutters no matter what graphics tweaks I used. Yesterday I edited the renderer.ini file. I edited these values :
[Graphics Options]
MaxTrackDecalsInMirrors=50
MaxTrackDecalsInCockpit=400

Stutters are finally gone ! The default values are 200 and 700. Changing them in increments of 150 increases or decreases the detail of the track textures. Before I went to 400 in cockpit , I tried 1500. Nordschleife took 13 minutes to load ! (normally 3 minutes for my PC) The graffiti looked very nice close up and this would be great for screenshots , but the R and G bars were I the red most of the time and fps was as low as 20.

So aside from a little screen tearing here and there , iracing is running silky smooth again :)

I might need to give that a try.. Thanks for sharing.

So far so good for me, messing around with those settings didn't completely fix my FPS problem, but it did help. Thanks again for sharing.

So with Blancpain endurance series you don't lose or win IR...

Seems like a great way to gain some SR and to relax and have fun ? Have I missed something?

hmmmm, interesting. (Not in a pessimistic way)

What is more interesting is that there was another bug found in people joining a race at a certain time to gain a faster advantage over others...

Of course, when iRacing is broken it never makes it to the front page. Like how slow the website is still and its almost week 2. Trying to get results is like :banghead:

Last edited:
Yea I used FRAPS.
I ran it fine when I was just using a single monitor, cant seem to get it to work properly now I have triples, not sure if my PC is strong enough now, or just cant find the right settings ?

Hmm that's not good cause I'm using triples as well. I also see on their website that they haven't updated the software since 2013, is that right?

Sorry not sure about any updates or anything. My main issue with triples was it was making recordings in 5760x1080, I just wanted my video's in 1920x1080, again it may have just been some settings I dont know about ? I had never done anything like this before and was really just trying to teach myself so there may be some tricks I dont know about. But my PC did struggle a bit when recording in 5760x1080 so I just kinda gave up on it.

Ok thanks I just don't want to shell out the money for it if it ain't gonna work. I want to start making some videos of my races. I have a go pro that I could use but the videos would look much better from video capture software.

The only thing I could think of doing was saving the replay, reseting all game and PC resolutions to 1920x1080 (maybe even disconnecting side monitors), loading the replay and recording from there. I'm sure it is easy, I'm just not skilled enough :lol:.

Back