iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
GoPro it. I really like watching guys via gopro instead of the screen. Also has real world uses as well.

I second this motion. Get a whole shot of all screens as well as your steering work. I love watching those videos on YouTube from time to time. And like said above, it has multiple uses. The new ones have incredibly good quality as well.

I downloaded the free trial of fraps. Couldn't even get it to record on my triple screens but yet on my laptop it worked perfectly:banghead:

What are you guys using to capture video recording? FRAPS?
If you have an Nvidia Graphics card that supports shadowplay, I recommend it.

Nürburgring

- Added a large speed limit sign, portable toll booth, and cones for the length of the straight alongside the pit lane on the Tourist config.
Oh great! now the Nurburgring is tolled for us too!? :sly:

Anybody running the RUF Cup this week at the Nord? It takes my rig 4 minutes to load the thing so I should just about make the race :lol: I haven't run the Nord since GT5 days but man you have to be so much more accurate with your lines!

Anybody running the RUF Cup this week at the Nord? It takes my rig 4 minutes to load the thing so I should just about make the race :lol: I haven't run the Nord since GT5 days but man you have to be so much more accurate with your lines!

3 minutes to load the track for me. I will not race this week, I can't do 2 consecutive laps without a spin or a crash. The precision required for this track combined with this demanding car makes it too difficult for me, I need to get more comfortable with the car. Lack of practice I would say.

This car certainly isn't one of those that you can jump in and be comfortable straight away. Takes a lot of patience and practice. Couple that with the demanding nature of the Nord and it will melt your head. The track is so demanding, clip a kerb wrong and it will throw you into the barrier. Hit bumps wrong and your off line. Need to be so commited. I would love to do a sub 7 min lap but I think I hit my peak today 7.01.2:banghead:

Another iRacing bug...seriously they need to overhaul this browser based thing...

"While an iRacing member is currently participating in a race session, another user can log onto his account and receive a vastly different array of buttons at the top of the Member’s Control Panel. As the iRacing simulation is not participating in a session on the secondary user’s computer, the options to both Join and Withdraw from the session are presented. Clicking Withdrawallows the second user to freely navigate the website with the primary user’s account and register for a different racing session, but does not physically boot the primary account user from the session they are currently participating in."

Good if you have a trustworthy and close friend. You can gain SR and iRating very quickly and participation credits.

iRacing has been having issues for a few weeks now, I've been avoiding it like the plague until they get it back running smoothly again.. I was hoping to race the RUF Cup on the Ring this past week too.. :(

iRacing has been having issues for a few weeks now, I've been avoiding it like the plague until they get it back running smoothly again.. I was hoping to race the RUF Cup on the Ring this past week too.. :(

From all the incidents, maybe it was a good thing you didn't get to race there!

I'm actually glad the RUF Cup week is over. Must of done about 25laps over the week and I started to loose the head as I fell a couple of tenths short of a sub 7 min lap! Those aliens though doing 4 laps sub 7 :crazy: Laguna Seca will feel like a doddle now :lol:

The C Spec is a very unique car and the guys who are ultra fast in it have been racing it for a very long time.

I managed to pick up a win turning 7:01-7:03's by keeping it clean and a bit of luck.

So, first time I've loaded up iRacing since the new build has come out. And I've got to say, I'll be happily spending time on iRacing again. After the ghastly physics that had taken over the sim for the past year or so, they seem to have reverted back to where they used to be. This is really good news because now it feels realistic again! And what do you know, my lap times are more competitive again! Funny how the two go hand and hand.

So, first time I've loaded up iRacing since the new build has come out. And I've got to say, I'll be happily spending time on iRacing again. After the ghastly physics that had taken over the sim for the past year or so, they seem to have reverted back to where they used to be. This is really good news because now it feels realistic again! And what do you know, my lap times are more competitive again! Funny how the two go hand and hand.

Funny I felt the same way. Especially the Skip.

I hope it stays this way, I don't believe they should be tinkering with the handling of cars so often. Here's hoping for some consistency.

Now next up, fix the website please.

Funny I felt the same way. Especially the Skip.

I hope it stays this way, I don't believe they should be tinkering with the handling of cars so often. Here's hoping for some consistency.

Now next up, fix the website please.

I had heard that they changed the way the physics were when they opened stuff up to Steam. That was probably to make sure that the new kids didn't get upset when the sim was too difficult to play with a controller. Which, I can understand that. As long as they've gone back, I don't have an issue with it, which they have.

Kamui, how do you feel about iRacing's tire model? I'm hoping to call upon some of your real racing experience.

Does real life have as much understeer under braking as iRacing? Because that's something I've noticed it has way more of than any other sim I've played. (rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, etc)

Kamui, how do you feel about iRacing's tire model? I'm hoping to call upon some of your real racing experience.

Um, well it depends really on what kind of tire they're trying to mimic. Or if they are their own compound, it can be quite different depending on their answer. To me, they seem to last a really long time without any deg or drop off, so it's a pretty impressive tire. Since the previous models, the "First/Outlap is the quickest" trait is gone, and the amount of grip has lowered significantly. These are two things that are definitely a step in the right direction. I'm still struggling with tire temps though. My engineer in real life said that GT tire temps normally come in around 120 Degrees centigrade by the time they've come back into the garage. I really struggle to get temps above 110 in iRacing.

Does real life have as much understeer under braking as iRacing? Because that's something I've noticed it has way more of than any other sim I've played. (rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, etc)

Depends on the car really. For instance, the Formula Renault 2.0 that will be coming out, should feel like it has a lot of understeer naturally. And it will take really clever trailbraking to get the car to rotate well. Then in the case of the Lambo Huracan ST, the car does nothing but oversteer, so you have to release the brake completely and create your own understeer. So, it really just depends on the car.

At the moment though, Assetto Corsa is the most realistic feeling sim. I'd say that the DTM Experience 2015 for Raceroom is the best, but it's just for one category, DTM.

At the moment though, Assetto Corsa is the most realistic feeling sim. I'd say that the DTM Experience 2015 for Raceroom is the best, but it's just for one category, DTM.

Eh..the iRacing fanboys won't like that ;)

If this isn't the place to say or ask it, if you wouldn't mind sending me a list via pm on your quick thoughts and ranking each sim that would be great given your real life experience. I know you said AC is the best right now, DTM good for DTM. What is your thoughts on rFactor 2 and Stock Car Extreme?
(Stock Car Extreme got the best sim racer on pretendracecar website)

Last edited:
Eh..the iRacing fanboys won't like that ;)

Well, when it comes to the racing experience, nothing even gets close to iRacing. There's nothing like a racing sim that doesn't have AI and will only have other humans/aliens (hah, see what I did there?) racing against you all the time. Also iRacing's track evolution is at the top right now. But when it comes to physics, they definitely aren't the best at the moment.

I'm still struggling with tire temps though. My engineer in real life said that GT tire temps normally come in around 120 Degrees centigrade by the time they've come back into the garage. I really struggle to get temps above 110 in iRacing.

According to the forums the tire temp model is broken and is not reliable.

According to the forums the tire temp model is broken and is not reliable.

I think this is an understatement though, it wasn't right even when I started back in 2012.

I highly doubt if they couldn't get it from since 2012 that something will happen in the short term.

Back