iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
That was already confirmed as realistic by the famous Buddy of Nicki Thiim, GT3
But then I can remember watching a video of Thiim doing so driving of the Blancain GT3 cars in ACC and he stated that the cars driving characteristics actually matched the Aston he was driving at the time basically perfectly.
I do know that ACC devs do have contacts and input from actual drivers in the series and teams and they also have teams and car manufacturers giving the input and actual telemetry data which they are using to input and set the games physics.

I also realize that iRacing is trying to improve and add more features but they are so slow in doing it and getting new features functional. AI has been coming for going on 2 years and in those last two years they have managed to only get it functional for a few cars on a few tracks.
Day night transition the same and dynamic weather how many years has that been on the table?
Or just look at the new UI and compare what S397 released after working for 5 years on it...
This quote actually is a prime example of a lot of what I am talking about, working on the UI for 5 years, Other studios are doing complete games with more details and features in 2 years and it takes iRacing 5 years to develop their new UI!

Just in 2020 ACC has released 3 different DLC packages that included 5 new laser scanned official tracks, a complete GT4 class with 11 cars all official series team liveries and drivers, 2 gt add gt3 cars, 60 new liveries, new Pirelli tire model, new BOP specs for the cars and an improved AI all of this is just within the last year.
All of that new content at normal price on Steam is a combined total cost of $43.99 at regular not a sale price.
How much would 5 tracks and 12 cars cost on iRacing?
Also day after tomorrow a British DLC pack will be available adding 3 new tracks, 40 new liveries and a complete dedicated championship season for British GT within the game’s Championship mode. Estimated cost for this dlc pack will be $14.99.
Basically what my point is here that just in the last 13 months look at the amount of additional content and improvement that has been added to ACC and all 4 dlc packs including the one coming out this week at a cost of less than $60.00.
So many people want to give iRacing a pass on how slow they are at developing, adding to and improving their content while at the same time having the very highest cost of any other racing sim game on the market.

My complaint and fault is that iRacing charges a Dom Perignon price for their service while in so many ways as compared to the competiton delivers the equivalent of mad dog 20/20 product.

When I signed up for their service several years ago many of the things that have still yet to become reality was made to saound as if it would be a live active fully functioning feature within months on the outside and that time turns into years still waiting.

I joined mainly because they had a couple of circuits that I had real life time on and those circuits were really not available elsewhere. Now I am stuck if I drop the service I lose the access to the content I paid for totally but yet they still are so far behind other titles in many areas they are not really that attractive to play.

I will agree and always have that nobody approaches the level of online functionality of iRacing. That and the actual number of circuits basically found in no other game are the only areas I can say they are tops in.

Otherwise there are other titles that are much better, further along in their development and is better at offering new content and updated features at a much lower cost point.

But then I can remember watching a video of Thiim doing so driving of the Blancain GT3 cars in ACC and he stated that the cars driving characteristics actually matched the Aston he was driving at the time basically perfectly.

Yes i know that story. Nicki and Chris where the 2 real driver that screamed, shouted and rage quit live on stream about the issues ACC had in early access while also pointing out and explaining what should have happend like in real life... "FIX YOUR ****" was the line these days ^^ and we shared that in the Kunos forum, had discussions with Aris about the tire>curb issues back then... 2 weeks later Aris released the 5 point tire model PoV video and acknowledge that theres room for improvemnt and that they used 1 point until then... I would go that far and say that screaming shouting race driver where the influence that got that fixed and improved... Improved that much that Aris also put chassis flex in the code... I will not forget the ACC 1.2 stream Nicki did where he was from screaming to loving the game from start to end of the 3h stream... Was kinda unreal :D

Nicki and Chris always say that in iR you have to be way to precise, you can not push like in real life and they can do this in ACC... Chris also said they weight of the cars is on point in ACC and cars feel too light in iR... Also he can drive in ACC like he is used to from real life racing and in iR you have to get used to the sim... Braking with ABS is also a weird thing in iR... Not using full 100% brake is not realistic... ABS, TCS systems are on point in ACC...

They both drive iR because of the #1 MP Service thats still without competition... Chris even was 11 year sub at iR but deinstalled it around 15 times in 2020 xD

iR and ACC are the 2 sims that get first place for me... After that it feels incomplete and feature incomplete with weird DLC packs, horrible UI and HUD and unfixed flaws since ages like in rF2 as example... At least for me... I would rater drive the old ISI engine sims like RR and AMS...

For me iR is worth the $$$ for everything they offer, how thing get implemented without taking shortcuts... New UI, AI, even a Support and FAQ site is there now where in rF2 i have to google about hidden game functions like the mirror positions because cars get released with mirrors complete off and stuff lol ^^ S397 could not even get the Motec displays correct until the C8.R... After seeing them in iR i could not drive rF2 anymore it just killed it for me looking at that nonsense someone painted wrong in every detail lol...

Next step that iR did was the start of the release of the car user manuals: https://s100.iracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/UM-Lamborghini-Huracan-GT3.pdf

A feature i never thought about but now miss in every other sim... Thats so simple but so awesome to me <3

"FIX YOUR ****" was the line these days ^^ and we shared that in the Kunos forum, had discussions with Aris about the tire>curb issues back then... 2 weeks later Aris released the 5 point tire model PoV video and acknowledge that theres room for improvemnt and that they used 1 point until then... I would go that far and say that screaming shouting race driver where the influence that got that fixed and improved... Improved that much that Aris also put chassis flex in the code... I will not forget the ACC 1.2 stream Nicki did where he was from screaming to loving the game from start to end of the 3h stream... Was kinda unreal
One thing I really like is how Aris shares so much information concerning ACC, about the physics and how what actually affects what from the dev that actually is responsible for setting all this up within the game.
He really seems to have a passion to want to get it right and real as humanly possible and to also see the players of the game really come to grips to understand the inner workings to get the best performance and most enjoyment out of the title.

I have actually gotten to the point ACC is the only racing sim I ever open up anymore. Recently my quest has been to get the most I can get out of the GT4 Camaro.

Always keeping my fingers crossed for an IMSA series with all the North American tracks and cars as a future DLC pack.

Last edited:
The one thing ACC wasted big potential is the ranking, rating system, race results imo... Its not motivating, easy to achieve and nothing like iR... Even RaceRoom got it very close with all the statistics on your profile, complete results of sessions you raced in and every driver in the field, how their ratings changed, how many and what incidents the drivers got... Thats what i want to see and what RR got right... Ranked MP racing in ACC to me feels like i did nothing, i get nothing after the race ends just standings...

ACC physics with iR Service, results stuff would be perfect for me...

I need my archived and detailed data :D

screenshot_747tpke1.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I really like is how Aris shares so much information concerning ACC, about the physics and how what actually affects what from the dev that actually is responsible for setting all this up within the game.

Yes and of course i love all the first hand in depth informations and guides as "hardcore detail lover" ^^ Aris is an aweome guy and not even to proud to share and talk about things they got not right at first or flaws they found by accident or stuff like that... "Theres always room for improvement"

I even watched the dev streams from Stefano back in AC days... He was even back at ACC a couple weeks ago for some on stream AI development... Great detailed stuff...

Last edited:
The one thing ACC wasted big potential is the ranking, rating system, race results imo... Its not motivating, easy to achieve and nothing like iR... Even RaceRoom got it very close with all the statistics on your profile, complete results of sessions you raced in and every driver in the field, how their ratings changed, how many and what incidents the drivers got... Thats what i want to see and what RR got right... Ranked MP racing in ACC to me feels like i did nothing, i get nothing after the race ends just standings...
And this is where ACC can improve. With only 2 car classes GT4 and GT3 having an AM class and a Pro class license for both GT4 and GT3 would be a good start. Daily races are good but having seasons to compete online and special events again would be great.
Also having an Endurance class and special events with driver teams and changes would fit exactly into the series ACC is promoting.

Whether anything will ever happen like that who knows but this is where they can learn from what iRacing does do better than anyone else.

Last edited:
iRacing // New Damage Model - Season 2 Updates

Several more cars will utilize the new damage model in 2021 season2, including:
- Dallara iR-01
- Formula Renault 2.0
- Street Stock
- 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Ford Thunderbird

Last edited:
So, checked it out and...if I want all the cars and tracks...it's actually MORE than RaceRoom...which I thought was bad. And at least RaceRoom you don't have to pay a subscription. I guess, the idea is that it's a "pro racing sim" (whatever that actually means) so, they just assume that anyone who uses will either just A) buy 1 car and maybe a track...which $30 is still WAY too much for) or B) is a pro race driver and thus has the money to afford everything.

Also, WHY does it have a steam presence when you don't actually use Steam to play it?

@BeardedWolf ... This has been gone over multiple times in multiple threads... You dont need to buy all the cars and tracks... especially in one go !

The secret is to plan out the championships you want to race in and only buy what you need to race in that season. If you buy in lots of 3 or 6 you get discount. After a few seasons you'll find you actually dont need to buy much anymore.
Also you can earn credits just by participating in official championships, a season is 12 weeks, all you need to do is 8 out of the 12 and you get credits back.

And in regards to the subscription, find a code and sign up on a deal, then wait for the membership renewal deals (usually 25% off).

Yes iRacing is expensive that is no secret or new news, but if you purchase smart and enter official races you can save yourself a lot of money.

I cant answer the Steam thing, my guess is its on there just to gain a bit more exposure.

And TBH these cost complaints are really starting to annoy me now ... The advertised costs are all USD once I convert them to NZD and add credit card fees etc I end up paying a lot more than the rest you !! Be thankful for what you got.

So, checked it out and...if I want all the cars and tracks...it's actually MORE than RaceRoom...

Imo you can not and should not compare iR to any other sim... Their accuracy and service is second to none, every new included feature the real deal not half done... As example iR is to date the only sim that laserscans cars and tracks... Since 2008 and in 2021 its still not a standard quality level in race sims...

Btw: GT3 AI is coming in the next update...

https://www.bsimracing.com/iracing-gt3-single-player-ai-with-7-cars-coming-in-new-build/

Hockenheimring should be included too :)

Last edited:
Imo you can not and should not compare iR to any other sim... Their accuracy and service is second to none, every new included feature the real deal not half done... As example iR is to date the only sim that laserscans cars and tracks... Since 2008 and in 2021 its still not a standard quality level in race sims...

Btw: GT3 AI is coming in the next update...

https://www.bsimracing.com/iracing-gt3-single-player-ai-with-7-cars-coming-in-new-build/

Hockenheimring should be included too :)

I...wasn't comparing games, I was comparing prices of games. There IS a difference.

AI GT3 racing is going to be awesome... Or absolutely horrible ... Cant wait :) .

Looking forward to them adding a 'Invite a friend' to the AI races too.

Just earnt my first participation credits for the first time in years, not going to hold on them for long... Hockenheim is calling :)

Did my first race with AI... Just a quick Race Weekend without any preparations to set the AI to my lap times ect. Still a crazy thing to me that iR has AI now lol... ^^

And the AI settings they offer are mindlowing, basically everthing you could ever dream of and 10x more.

All the infos, and details:

https://www.iracing.com/how-to-use-iracing-ai/

https://www.iracing.com/ai-rosters/

Even on that new UI they just thought about any little detail. Compare that to that "Thing" that rF2 got after 69 years of developing...

Like just the loading screens with full AI skill details of every AI driver and 6 detail options for the track map ? :eek:

iracing23.04.202106_39wkcg.png

And when i just thought about getting full race weekend results after crossing the finish line they give you this:
(And also a option to disable those News)

iracing23.04.202107_3cqkr1.png

And thats not just the weekend summary in numbers... They also mention that I was sitting in the pits the whole practice session and did not drove a single lap, and that in a humorous way with fictional comment on the subject from a fictional me... Are you kidding ? How cool is that... :eek:

In practice I was just watching the AI and what laptimes they drive, and looking at the spread of laptimes with the default AI settings to get a first clue how to set them to my level ect for future races... :cool:

The NASCAR Cup Series Next Gen cars will debut immediately on iRacing in two public series: an open setup series for A class license holders, and unranked fixed setup series for all iRacers. Fans of the eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series can see the cars again on June 2 on the Chicago street circuit. New users who would like to give the Next Gen car a try can click here to sign up for a year of iRacing for $20.22 using the code PR-2022NEXTGEN.

I’ve taken out a three month membership to see whether it’s for me. I was drawn to the oval races given all the Nascar content on there in the absence of any other main Nascar game/sim. Any other fellow oval rookies on here? Have to say in terms of handling, smooth running etc. it’s leaps and bounds above other sims/games I’ve played.

I took part in an online practice session and there was some questionable driving (although considering I’m pretty much a complete noob to it, perhaps I shouldn’t throw stones from my glass house!) but I found it a lot more fun than a pretty rough night on Project Cars 2 the other night. Even when people made mistakes (myself included) no swearing or anything, just good natured fun (as it should be!).

I guess, as with many newcomers I’m just curious about hints/tips re avoiding incidents. I’ve watched some YouTube vids about how best to approach rookies and bar a couple of incidents that were completely on me that didn’t involve any other cars (pushing too hard and going into the wall when I got cocky, pit lane exits) all the other points I racked up were from other drivers. My approach was basically not to floor it, focus on clean laps, leave distance and allow people to easily overtake and practice things like pitting. However, lots of carnage on track (which I did manage to avoid ninety percent of) and the biggest issue was aggressive overtaking when I’d set up a clean overtake for the other driver. Is it just a case of accepting that safety rating will inevitably go down as well as up in rookies no matter how hard you try to avoid it?

I’ve taken out a three month membership to see whether it’s for me. I was drawn to the oval races given all the Nascar content on there in the absence of any other main Nascar game/sim. Any other fellow oval rookies on here? Have to say in terms of handling, smooth running etc. it’s leaps and bounds above other sims/games I’ve played.

I took part in an online practice session and there was some questionable driving (although considering I’m pretty much a complete noob to it, perhaps I shouldn’t throw stones from my glass house!) but I found it a lot more fun than a pretty rough night on Project Cars 2 the other night. Even when people made mistakes (myself included) no swearing or anything, just good natured fun (as it should be!).

I guess, as with many newcomers I’m just curious about hints/tips re avoiding incidents. I’ve watched some YouTube vids about how best to approach rookies and bar a couple of incidents that were completely on me that didn’t involve any other cars (pushing too hard and going into the wall when I got cocky, pit lane exits) all the other points I racked up were from other drivers. My approach was basically not to floor it, focus on clean laps, leave distance and allow people to easily overtake and practice things like pitting. However, lots of carnage on track (which I did manage to avoid ninety percent of) and the biggest issue was aggressive overtaking when I’d set up a clean overtake for the other driver. Is it just a case of accepting that safety rating will inevitably go down as well as up in rookies no matter how hard you try to avoid it?
Main aspect with just starting out in rookies is to get the best results you can manage while making sure you finish the race. Safety rating is not important at the start.

Main aspect with just starting out in rookies is to get the best results you can manage while making sure you finish the race. Safety rating is not important at the start.

Thanks!

Took the plunge and did a couple of Ford Legends races at USA International Speedway last night. Watching the videos on YouTube definitely helped - took part in Practice to keep an eye out for dangerous drivers then didn't qualify, started from near the back and let anyone behind overtake at the start of the race to avoid the inevitable Turn One carnage. I didn't escape unscathed though but my SR still went up.

My main thoughts after my first couple of races:
One thing I like about Rookies is that you're racing with other complete noobs so whilst that can be frustrating (I got taken out twice) it's much more fun than random matchmaking in other games as you're with people of a similar experience level. Given how some people struggle to do one lap without wrecking their car - even someone like me who's by no means at all good at sim racing can feel a sense of achievement. Whilst I can see online that the SR system gets flack because it basically tells you not to race I think it works because it teaches you how to drive around other people and avoid people that are spinning out. I guess I see rookies more as a driving test than a racing test. I've also learned far more about racing in these two races than many years playing with AI.

I think the most frustrating thing though just seems to be a complete lack of awareness of some things from a lot of players. I get racing incidents - it's motorsport, things go wrong, people make mistakes and as we're all new to this we will inevitably make mistakes and annoy people from time to race. I haven't watched any real life race where there hasn't at least been one incident. Plus, even some pro drivers get known for crashing (Kris Meeke in the WRC springs to mind - I say this as a massive fan of his!) However, when people spin out catastrophically multiple times a lap, come to a grinding halt in the middle of the track, horse about during the formation laps and purposefully drive into people during the race then it's a whole different level really. I don't get overly annoyed to be honest - they're probably just kids who have never played a game that doesn't do everything for you and doesn't punish you for overly aggressive driving.

I think what would be great for iRacing is a driving school that teaches you the basics of racecraft/driving (do clean laps, don't try and win the race in turn one, don't push 100% from the get go, if you spin out or lose control get out of the way of the main track ASAP etc.). I say that as someone that would really like something like that for me as well. Whilst you'll always get some idiots in any race, I think a lot of the spinners don't do it on purpose - they're probably just use to games where you can get away with picking any track and car and not have to learn them properly. Plus, I'd say due to the lack of quali, arguably games like Forza pretty much encourage heroics early in the race to gain positions so it's not surprising if that's all someone's known that they'll carry it over to iRacing.

I have to say that iRacing has really spoilt me in terms of how smoothly it runs and the handling of the cars. I feel going back to any other sim would be a downgrade now. I've got membership for three months, I'll see how I do by then. I am tempted to get the next gen Nascar stuff in order to compete in the unofficial races for practice but don't want to spend too much if I ultimately decide it isn't for me in the long run.

Last edited:
For me I got out of rookies by doing what friends told me. Run 4 races it doesn't matter where you finish bc in rookie there's no irating just focus on clean 0x races and you will be out in 4 races total. I finished dead last in all 4 (rookie street stocks is a different animal lol) got to D class with a 1350. Another friend who jumped over raced and wrecked his first handful of races it took him a month to get out of rookies. I did the same thing with road just ran in the back focused on 0x races and climbed to Class A fairly quick.

Few things to check out if your new to iracing(sorry if you already know this)
Trading paints
Crew chief
Racelabs (overlays)
Virtual Racing School (VRS)

For me I got out of rookies by doing what friends told me. Run 4 races it doesn't matter where you finish bc in rookie there's no irating just focus on clean 0x races and you will be out in 4 races total. I finished dead last in all 4 (rookie street stocks is a different animal lol) got to D class with a 1350. Another friend who jumped over raced and wrecked his first handful of races it took him a month to get out of rookies. I did the same thing with road just ran in the back focused on 0x races and climbed to Class A fairly quick.

Few things to check out if your new to iracing(sorry if you already know this)
Trading paints
Crew chief
Racelabs (overlays)
Virtual Racing School (VRS)

Thanks for the advice! I managed to get out of rookies and I'm now trying to build a buffer for my SR before I start ARCA. I hung in the back in rookies and survived mostly - actually ended up finishing second in a Legends race yesterday by doing this. I knew about the first three but not VRS and that looks amazing so the head's up on that is much appreciated. Do you use the subscription service or just the free one? I'm still weighing up how seriously I want to take this as I can already feel myself getting competitive even if I just said to myself it was purely for fun.

Back