Is Gran turismo 5 prologue the best looking racing game?

Technically, more life looking. That's what realistic stands for. I had a similar question to make the other day. Should I give every GT player of the world between a completely realistic GT5, or a not realistic but harder to master GT5, what would they go for? It shares some similarity with your question.

I'm loving the actual tarmac detail on those forza pics. I'm not loving the lack of detail in the cockpit and the R8 engine bay. I remember the FM fanboys bashing on about FM2 being a GT beater. Yet GT was running on PS2 then :S The graphics for the previous Forza games were shocking i always thought.

Looks like they have stepped up thier game, but only to the previous level of GT to then be left in the dirt again by PD's awesome techy know how!

OK. I have another definition of "realistic": a real game that you can actually play vs a theoretical game that is always being perfected but never released.

Personally, I admire the graphics style of F1CE because it was produced quickly, looks great when you are actually racing (helped by the fact that you are moving at 200kph + most of the time! :)), even if the replays (such as they are) don't look that great. It's nice to have a game that looks good, but it's not the most important thing...

I've never played FM before, but if what you're saying is true, that's more than "plain absurd". I don't know what would be proper, but I guess something like "Crazily extrordinarily amazingly absurd" would be more accurate. Once a Z06 ran down my street at the speed limit (40mph), came out of the corner.... And tried to change lanes. You should have seen what happened :sly: The guy lightly tapped the brakes, angled the wheels oh-so-everly-slightly and the Corvette started drifting all over the street. Yes, all 4 lanes, left side included. :odd: Heard things like "M. F-word",
-other word for donkey-, etc. Lotsa smoke, lotsa noise, lotsa bombs.
(if you know what I mean :embarrassed: )

I've played FM 1 and 2 countless times, and yes it is the case, anyone who denies this is just plain wrong. FM physics are more like GT5:P arcade physics.

Interesting z06 story! Truth be told the car is an animal and must be driven with much caution, especially on the street let alond the track!

OK. I have another definition of "realistic": a real game that you can actually play vs a theoretical game that is always being perfected but never released.

Personally, I admire the graphics style of F1CE because it was produced quickly, looks great when you are actually racing (helped by the fact that you are moving at 200kph + most of the time! :)), even if the replays (such as they are) don't look that great. It's nice to have a game that looks good, but it's not the most important thing...

Perhaps not so much in a game like F1CE because unlike GT, it's not so much about cars as it is about racing. In a game like that, details can be skipped over as long as you get a few thing right. Another reason for GT's existence is to showcase the graphic prowess of the Playstation console and I can't imagine how furious SOny would be if sudddenly PD would change its philosopshy and produce a game that's only slightly better than F1CE or even Prologue. Believe me, just like you, I would love to see the game sooner than later but in the meantime there's always SHIFT if you're looking for a good racing game with a killer graphics.

When people say "realistic"...what do they mean? I mean, I understand everything but this word "realistic". Is it beautiful? or more life like looking. . GT5:P wins in graphics. FM wins in sounds (Barely) and tire marks.But that has nothing to do of what I'm talking about. Over all I choose GT5:P. Such beauty. so Yes, I think GT5P is the best looking racing game ever/so far.

I just have one question wich game is overall realistic? FM3 or GT5P?

I have no doubt whe it comes to overall realism, despite the 8 car grid, FM3 like FM3 will be better then Prologue. But the again, that's why it's called Prolgoue. GT5 on the other hand will be a closer call. Despite Turn 10 insistence that FM3 will replaced GT5 as the definitve driving game is just marketing. Both games will be very much alike except for a few not quite so fundamental difference. It will come down to the system you own, the car list (it's unfortunate that FM3 will come without Nissan GTR while GT5 will undoubtedly be missing a few cars as well), the track selection, and if you can live with an 8 car grid of FM3 which I'm sure a lot of people can (and willing to defend) but I can't.

Last edited:
Its a good point actually - many people mis-use the word "realistic" to mean "looks great". Gran Turismo is certainly striving to be realistic and is more realistic in certain areas compared to others in other games. For example, its shading and lighting models, cockpits, dimensions & scaling, etc.
I always felt there was something off especially with the scaling of the cars in other games, whether they are too long or short or tall. GT always seems to have it spot on accurate. It does fall down in other areas, such as looking too "clean" and the side mirrors not working perfectly.

Also, Prologue's representation of the Suzuka circuit is the closest I've ever seen in any game to the real thing.

Perhaps not so much in a game like F1CE because unlike GT, it's not so much about cars as it is about racing. In a game like that, details can be skipped over as long as you get a few thing right. Another reason for GT's existence is to showcase the graphic prowess of the Playstation console and I can't imagine how furious SOny would be if sudddenly PD would change its philosopshy and produce a game that's only slightly better than F1CE or even Prologue. Believe me, just like you, I would love to see the game sooner than later but in the meantime there's always SHIFT if you're looking for a good racing game with a killer graphics.

I suspect you are right about this: GT's mandate is partly to show-off the Sony hardware. However, it struck me the other day, that F1CE's graphics (my favourite - visually - being the Monza track) are beautiful, even though they obviously didn't spend years working on the game. In contrast, there's still something slightly sterile & wooden about GT5P's environments - perhaps this is what PD has spent the last 2 years working on! :sly:

Of course, Studio Liverpool didn't have to model hundreds of cars. I'm expecting GT5 to be a massive game when it finally comes out, & once again provide industry-leading graphics, but I am very disappointed PD hasn't provided some additional tracks via DLC for Prologue over the last 2 years.

but I am very disappointed PD hasn't provided some additional tracks via DLC for Prologue over the last 2 years.

They have....they gave us HSR along with several new cars and made a fair few revisions to the graphics, network, physics and balance. They also provided GT-TV content too.
If there's one thing you can't criticise PD for not doing, its updating Prologue while we were waiting. Perhaps they didn't update it as much as you'd like, but there's a limit to how much they could give us without taking away too much of what would have been new content for GT5.

And seeing as GT5 appears to be likely out by next year at least, it seems they did it for good reason too, we don't need content leading all the way up to the release of GT5, only a little "taster" (as it was meant) to keep us satisfied for a year or two. I think they have succeeded in delivering this purely with the online system :lol:

Last edited:
Tbh i think FM3 is better due to its not on blue ray disks like GT and FM3 gameplay is good. just because it looks cartoony doent mean its not good graphics.
You only like GT because the graphics are better but then again it is on blue ray disks you know that means better graphics holds more and FM3 isnt on blue ray its on normal gaming disks so comparing it that FM3 is a better racing game as it doesnt need blue ray to look good. thats my opinion.

Oh stewardess? I speak Jive...

For your consideration: FM3 has to come on two DVDs because they can't keep within the 8ish Gb required for a single one. GT5 will come on one BD simply because the PS3 uses BD so... why not?

So while every PS3 will be able to play GT5, not every XBox360 will be able to play FM3 - they require a hard drive to install the game and not all units come with one (though you can buy an add-on for £120).

Tbh i think FM3 is better due to its not on blue ray disks like GT and FM3 gameplay is good. just because it looks cartoony doent mean its not good graphics.
You only like GT because the graphics are better but then again it is on blue ray disks you know that means better graphics holds more and FM3 isnt on blue ray its on normal gaming disks so comparing it that FM3 is a better racing game as it doesnt need blue ray to look good. thats my opinion.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying FM3 is better because it doesn't need a larger storage medium?

So with that logic Gran Turismo 2 is better than Forza 3 because it was on two CD's.

You dont need a big hard drive to store the game and you dont need to store it.
I was only saying that the graphics for the game are good for a plan dvd disk.
Due to GT5 uses Blue Ray disks and the xbox doesnt. But if Xbox did use Blue ray disks and F3 was on Blue ray the graphics would be gr8 as GT5 but F3 is gr8 for the graphics on a dvd disk.

They are both good games but i prefer F3 thats my opinion and i was saying y i prefer it.

Due to GT5 uses Blue Ray disks and the xbox doesnt. But if Xbox did use Blue ray disks and F3 was on Blue ray the graphics would be gr8 as GT5 but F3 is gr8 for the graphics on a dvd disk.

They are both good games but i prefer F3 thats my opinion and i was saying y i prefer it.

The graphics are in no way effected by the storage medium. If GT5 was on DVD it would have the same graphics but would use more than one disc like FM3.

That is like saying a bicycle is better than a motor bike considering a bicycle has no engine.

Motor bike is still faster and overall a better machine.

And Blu Ray is all about space, grafix are different matter, Forza needs two disks to have all the content E.G. 400 cars

If Forza was on Blu ray it would simply mean its on one disk. Grafix wont just get better than they are.

360 owners without a HDD will lose out on content stored on the second disc. It's been admitted by turn 10.

In other words; unless you have a HDD for your 360, you will not get the full game content.

Storage space has nothing to do with how good the graphic are, even if Fm3 was on a HD DVD or something it would make no difference except you wouldn't need a HDD to play the full game.

Jay
Storage space has nothing to do with how good the graphic are, even if Fm3 was on a HD DVD or something it would make no difference except you wouldn't need a HDD to play the full game.
Storage space certainly can make a difference. If the development team needs to squeeze a large amount of textures on a single DVD, they may very well have to resort to lower resolution textures to make it fit, which will result in lesser graphics quality.

Of course, it still may not make a difference, if the hardware can't cope with the bigger textures anyway (e.g. memory limit).

So it depends on where the bottleneck is. If the storage is not the bottleneck, obviously increasing it will not result in better graphics. If the storage ís the bottleneck it may very well result in better graphics.

In case of Forza (and GT5 too) the bottleneck is probably in the limited amount of system memory, so stuffing mega-resolution textures on five BluRay discs will not help, since they won't fit in memory anyway. ;)

On-topic: I have yet to see a racing game that matches (or even outclasses) the GT5P car models.

Yes you do.

XBox360 Core owners will not be able to play the full game because they do not have a HDD and FM3 comes on two DVDs. This has already been stated by Turn10.

gr8 ... gr8 ... y

Please reacquaint yourself with our Acceptable Use Policy. As a hint, textspeak is not acceptable.

The graphics are in no way effected by the storage medium. If GT5 was on DVD it would have the same graphics but would use more than one disc like FM3.
Yes, but given the amount of space available on Blu-Ray, it certainly enables programmers to take graphics to another level, without complications. For instance, I've already heard people griping about FM3 being on two disks, and I would be shocked to see a PS3 game need a second disk.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if GT5 were on a regular dvd, it would probably have worse graphics, to make room for content, JMO.

Just an observation, but it appears that Forza 3 is joining the long list of racing games where your hands look deformed on the interior view:

fm302.jpg

GT5:P is still the only racing game I've ever played where hands on the wheel have been modelled perfectly, and don't look like they're holding the wheel with some kind of claw grip. For comparison (caution, large images, those of you on slower connections):

GT5:P - GRiD (on which the model itself isn't much better than on TOCA 2 from ten years ago, even though polygons have obviously gone up) - PGR4 - Live For Speed - etc...not to mention that some games don't even bother (step forward iRacing, NetKar Pro etc).

I answered you dont need a big hard drive cause somebody said oh you need a 120 gb hd you do not. a standard 20 gb will do.

The more graphics codes and details need more storeage. and wow you lot turn other peoples views to turn them against them just because I have an opinion that FM3 is better than GT5 you lot cant take a hint that i like FM3 and you lot like GT5. Its only a racing game and i bet you lot havent even been on the nurburge track < cant spell in real life and been in a real race car around it. And just because people like to speak different doesnt mean o ok then he thinks a push bike is better then a motor bike so you saying FM3 is a push bike and GT5 is a motor bike wow.

As i said you dont need a big hard drive. 20 gb will do. they are cheap. didnt you no a core system and the hard drive bought sep costs the same as the full system

And most games need graphic codes and game codes n blah blah blah. just because it need two disks doesnt matter. it just has more maps and cars.
I prefer FM3 thats my opinion but you go and say GT5 is better but the xbox graphics will get better but ps3 are running out of ideas and graphics.

I have an opinion that FM3 is better than GT5
So how many hours did you spent on both (unreleased games) so far?
nurburge track
Its "Nürburgring" & "Nordschleife" and if you seriously want to tell me that the FM2 version is more accurate than the GT4 one you lose all your creditability. :)

I answered you dont need a big hard drive cause somebody said oh you need a 120 gb hd you do not. a standard 20 gb will do.

You still need a hard drive. This means that those people who don't have one will need to buy one - effectively doubling the price of the game. If you don't have one you cannot play the full game.

The more graphics codes and details need more storeage. and wow you lot turn other peoples views to turn them against them just because I have an opinion that FM3 is better than GT5 you lot cant take a hint that i like FM3 and you lot like GT5. Its only a racing game and i bet you lot havent even been on the nurburge track < cant spell in real life and been in a real race car around it. And just because people like to speak different doesnt mean o ok then he thinks a push bike is better then a motor bike so you saying FM3 is a push bike and GT5 is a motor bike wow.

I'm sorry, I've read this through 5 times and I still don't have a clue what you're actually saying.

Punctuation is your friend.

As i said you dont need a big hard drive. 20 gb will do. they are cheap. didnt you no a core system and the hard drive bought sep costs the same as the full system

But it's still fine for a games company to chuck out a game which not everyone who bought the console can play?

That's at the level of PC gaming - you have to spec up your PC in order to play the latest game. That's not why we have consoles.

And most games need graphic codes and game codes n blah blah blah. just because it need two disks doesnt matter. it just has more maps and cars.

Unless you don't have an XBox360 with a HDD. Then you only get the "maps" (we call them "tracks" usually) and cars that are on disc 1. Better hope they're good ones...

Your initial argument was that FM3 is better because it's still on a DVD rather than BD. The immense spuriousness of that aside, you're now saying that the second DVD is just extra storage space for more tracks and cars. What, exactly, do you think the extra space on a BD is for then?

You may like to note that GT5 comes on, probably, a 50Gb dual layer BD. FM3 comes on 2 8Gb DVDs. GT Mobile will be on a UMD and available for download and occupy less than 1Gb... Make of this what you will.

I prefer FM3 thats my opinion but you go and say GT5 is better but the xbox graphics will get better but ps3 are running out of ideas and graphics.

Don't know if you noticed at all, but the 360 has been out a year longer than the PS3. The 360 is nearing the end of its life and abilities - there's already talk of a replacement - and the PS3 is 2 years into its 10 year product life cycle. It's only getting warmed up.

Its only a racing game and i bet you lot havent even been on the nurburge track < cant spell in real life and been in a real race car around it.

And have you? From the members here who've been to the 'Ring in real life, I'm fairly sure they all agree that GT4's representation of the circuit is the most accurate.

And just because people like to speak different doesnt mean o ok then he thinks a push bike is better then a motor bike so you saying FM3 is a push bike and GT5 is a motor bike wow.

This officially makes no sense whatsoever.

[Don't know if you noticed at all, but the 360 has been out a year longer than the PS3. The 360 is nearing the end of its life and abilities - there's already talk of a replacement - and the PS3 is 2 years into its 10 year product life cycle. It's only getting warmed up.

Both consoles are just getting warmed up. The 360 is going on 4 years this November, the PS3 is going on 3 years this November. Both have 10 year lifecycles, and both have much more room to grow. The next 6-7 years should be exciting for both consoles.

Keep the Faith!

The thing that every GT game does better then any other racing game is that there is depth to the image (depth of field). That is why the replays look sooo damn good also the cars that your closing in on look as they should. Same goes for the Garage/Dealership views.

Back