is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

Imported: You made a lof of double and triple pisting there, and you were talking out of topic, so I will not bother reply as this isn't concerning the topic of the thread, which is about photomode comparison.

You made a post to tell him that you aren't replying? odd.

Now I seem to be stuck in this web.

Has there been any news on the changes that are going to be coming to GT's photomode?

Last edited:
You made a post to tell him that you aren't replying? odd.
Oh Lord, I was expecting this would come out from a member or another...
I didn't reply to his points, which didn't concern the topic! Why do I even need to tell this, you already know what I meant by the way..

I guess some fall for the over saturated high contrasty Forza look more than others. . .
In-game, its actually quite the opposite of high contrast and saturation. If you are talking about the photomode images, then if thats the way people want to shoot it, then thats how its going to look.

Yes, is it such an oddity that people like other games?

Great post #1 @bashfulboson

What a huge difference between the two games when it comes to the headlights and tail-lights.
Forza's lights look horrible in comparison.

Edit;
Sorry, didn't realize this thread was so old. I was replying from the first page.

Great post #1 @bashfulboson

What a huge difference between the two games when it comes to the headlights and tail-lights.
Forza's lights look horrible in comparison.

Edit;
Sorry, didn't realize this thread was so old. I was replying from the first page.
I think it's still a valid comparison though, so all should be forgiven. :)

If GT6 is so much better in the photomode, I want to watch what we're going to see in Gran Turismo 7..... It will definitely make every racing game competitor wet his pants :) :cheers:

Last edited:
If GT6 is so much better in the photomode, I want to watch what we're going to see in Gran Turismo 7..... It will definitely make every racing game competitor wet his pants :) :cheers:
I think for most sim racing fans, photomode is not really high on the list of game priorities. I'd guess for most people it falls far behind physics, graphics, gameplay, sound, career mode, etc.

Seeing the first couple pictures I thought both games looked great. Then I saw the F40 tailights close up. Oh my god. FM5 get rekt :lol:

But seriously, both games look great in every way.

I can't compare it to Forza Motorsport 5 as I haven't played that, but I can compare it to Forza Motorsport 4 which I played for 3 years before moving over to GT6.

From my experience of using both, here is what I think each can do better than the other (for reference, both pics are unedited):

boFHrAsMGIy0FEHvp_0.jpg

Gran Turismo 6
  • Camera height,
  • Available camera angles,
  • Camera Placement,
  • Aspect ratios,
  • Horizontal/Vertical images.

15691889025_f078845c9c_b.jpg

Forza Motorsport 4
  • Depth of Field control,
  • Colour vibrance,
  • Camera movement controls,
  • Shutter speed control,
  • Brightness/Contrast settings,
  • Lighting control.

This is a comparison of the Photo Mode and camera tools only; GT6 has the advantage of time of day and weather settings, whereas Forza 4 has more car customisation options and the livery editor.

Forza Motorsport 4
  • Colour vibrance,
  • Shutter speed control,
  • Lighting control.

- Depth of Field control
- Shutter speed control
- Brightness settings
- Colour vibrance (in terms of colour effects)

are in GT6 too

I dont know what you mean with "Camera movement controls" but since you are totally free with the camera movement in GT6 i guess it counts!

I know they are in GT6, I was merely saying that Forza 4 does them better. Everything is on a 0-100 slider which allows for greater control.

In terms of movement I am thinking of how intuitive it is with a pad to actually move the camera around. It's only a minor point however and GT6 does have good static angles on some circuits where you can get very high shots from.

I know they are in GT6, I was merely saying that Forza 4 does them better. Everything is on a 0-100 slider which allows for greater control.
In GT6 you also have a fully controllable slider for everything when you scroll down in the options of the camera.
For the other part I think it's more about personnal experience which one you find more intuitive.

Maybe the photo mode is better in GT6 but Forza cars still look very good especially when playing the game. The details in Forza wow me when actually looking at my tv screen. One thing Forza Horizon 2 doesn't have in photo mode is the ability to capture light beams projected off of car headlights It's the light reflections which needs to be improved in Forza Horizon 2 maybe Horizon 3 or Forza 6 will get this right. For example two different cars I know but we're talking about light reflections. I found a different model celica I know its a poor shot of the celica in gt6 but look at the light cast off of the lights. Then look at my Forza Horizon 2 picture. I couldn't manage to get the lights to cast a bigger reflection like the one in GT6.

GT6 light reflections model

maxresdefault.jpg

Forza Horizon 2 (My older Celica GTFOUR)

GetPhoto.ashx

Last edited:

In terms of movement I am thinking of how intuitive it is with a pad to actually move the camera around. It's only a minor point however and GT6 does have good static angles on some circuits where you can get very high shots from.
But in GT6 you can change the depth of field and such by changing your aperture size which is is just like in real life when you're using a DSLR camera which gives you now more control. You can also adjust the shutter speed like a real camera. I think realistic camera settings give you more control than simple 0-100 sliders.

But in GT6 you can change the depth of field and such by changing your aperture size which is is just like in real life when you're using a DSLR camera which gives you now more control. You can also adjust the shutter speed like a real camera. I think realistic camera settings give you more control than simple 0-100 sliders.
To be honest, its really no different, and actually working in the exact same way. Its just a slider, with a number that you're changing that results in the exact same effect. To add more Depth of Field, you just raise the number.

While basic, they aren't really functioning any different.

To be honest, its really no different, and actually working in the exact same way. Its just a slider, with a number that you're changing that results in the exact same effect. To add more Depth of Field, you just raise the number.

While basic, they aren't really functioning any different.
True, but a pro photographer would have a better time using GT's camera than Forza's. Also, if you want to learn about photography skills, GT's camera is a great place to start learning about shutter speed, aperture, focal length, etc.

True, but a pro photographer would have a better time using GT's camera than Forza's. Also, if you want to learn about photography skills, GT's camera is a great place to start learning about shutter speed, aperture, focal length, etc.
True to an extent, and thats why its all subjective. Either game will teach you about all those, and I've actually learned about those things you posted through Forza, oddly enough. So one isn't really doing better than the other in that case. What GT6 does is let you use real life setting and numbers that translates as if you're using the actual Camera, which in turn gives you hands on(sort of) experience to use in real life.

Still, both games are just giving you numbers to change in its individual settings, working in the same effect. GT6's is true to life, Forza's is just simpler.

So, with GT6 1/1 to 1/8000 shutter speed would be what equivalent in FM 5 ? 1- 100 ? How does FM5 use the 1-100 value ? Do you get same result on each end of the value ? Max/min shutter speed ?

So, with GT6 1/1 to 1/8000 shutter speed would be what equivalent in FM 5 ? 1- 100 ?
I have no idea what those numbers are, so I dont know. Easiest way would be for me to work of an actual picture and try to compare and I can post my settings.

I'm going to guess that 1/1 on Forza would be 0 and 1/8000(is that the max on GT?) is going to be 100.

Unless I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Seeing as you edited your post, I'll do so as well instead of double posting; Yes, why wouldnt you get the same result? 1/1 I'm guessing is default, or otherwise 0 which. With that setting (0) you will have no shutter speed, and it'll look like a still picture of a non-moving object. 1/8000(which I'm guessing is max) would be 100 on Forza. With that setting it'll actually show the object is moving at very high speeds. The actual speed of which the vehicle is moving is going to effect the outcome of whichever setting you decide to use.

Last edited:
In my opinion GT6 looks better in replay mode and in photo mode, but while you're playing the game Forza 5 looks a lot better! The graphics are crystal clear. Can't wait for GT7 on PS4 if GT could be that clear it would make the driving a lot more immersive!

In my opinion GT6 looks better in replay mode and in photo mode, but while you're playing the game Forza 5 looks a lot better! The graphics are crystal clear. Can't wait for GT7 on PS4 if GT could be that clear it would make the driving a lot more immersive!

Yes that is what I was trying to say. GT6 definately looks a lot better in photo mode and replays. But Forza 5 can get a bit better photos that Forza Horizon 2. Even so Forza Horizon really does look good at times with some cars. But it is possible to get some very good photos like this. I tried to not make it look oversaturated but it probably still is. Saturation can be fixed. It might be a bit over exposed with the exposure setting if anything.

Here are the photo mode camera settings I used for this shot in Forza Horizon. I'm sure I could have used less colour, exposure or maybe brightness. Do I made contrast and brightness like this and maybe the greys showing in the darker areas like the tyres are too bright or grey. But lowering the brightness and contrast to a more black level results in the treads on the tyres not being seen at a distance its just black and no discernible detail.

So hence why I made the settings on contrast and brightness a little high. It's sometimes difficult to get the effect you want. Some areas end up being too dark if you lower the contrast and brightness too much. I usually have contrast around 50-55 and brightness 50 -55. This usually makes grey areas look dark and not too bright like a haze over the whole picture.

When i've got time I'll take the car again to the same place and experiment. Even though this thread is about comparing photo modes. I'm not trying to argue that Forza is better than GT6 or vice versa. But just trying to post the clearest shots I can on Forza Horizon 2 and compare them to some GT6 shots. Who knows some photo experts might be able to help me here in Forza get the most natural looking shots.

I use a plasma tv so hence why because my tv isn't an LED LCD which are usually bright. Its in a pretty good game mode with some good setting to get the brightest picture on the plasma tv. Sometimes having your tv to the most natural effect helps you get the best look from the settings in the game. My tvs colour is set at 50 default. I could probably lower it a tiny bit, the brightness is at default 50.

My contrast on my tv was a little high so I've set it back to default. Also gamma was not on 2.4 or 2.2 default I had it set to 1.8 which brightens the greys to still be dark but the overall picture is brighter at 1.8 gamma. My plasma tv has 1080 P pure direct which is always on. Colour balance and vivid colour are off on my tv too. I'll try experiment and do some photos with my tv at a good default setting with default gamma then 1.8 gamma.

Shutter Speed = 100 (0-100)
Focus = 0 (0-100)
Aperture = 7 (0-100)
Exposure = 85 (0-100)
Contrast = 51 (0-100)
Colour = 60 (0-100)
Brightness = 60 (0-100)
Sepia = 0 (0-100)
Vignette = 0 (0-100)

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

Last edited:
GetPhoto.ashx

Brrr... looks like plastic

I can't compare it to Forza Motorsport 5 as I haven't played that, but I can compare it to Forza Motorsport 4 which I played for 3 years before moving over to GT6.

From my experience of using both, here is what I think each can do better than the other (for reference, both pics are unedited):

Gran Turismo 6
  • Camera height,
  • Available camera angles,
  • Camera Placement,
  • Aspect ratios,
  • Horizontal/Vertical images.

Forza Motorsport 4
  • Colour vibrance,
  • Shutter speed control,
  • Lighting control.

This is a comparison of the Photo Mode and camera tools only; GT6 has the advantage of time of day and weather settings, whereas Forza 4 has more car customisation options and the livery editor.

There is not a single aspect in which GT6's Photomode is worst than FM4's Photomode... is like to compare adobe photoshop with microsoft paint...

Last edited:
I find it easier to take vibrant shots in Forza 4, as I have colour & contrast sliders to play about with as opposed to the 8 or so filters that GT6 provides.

Unless I set the GT6 filter to Miniature and get lucky with the tilt-shift being in the right place most of the in-game shots I take don't "pop" as much as I can make them do on Forza.

GetPhoto.ashx

Brrr... looks like plastic

There is no a single aspect in which GT6's Photomode is worst than FM4's Photomode... is like to compare adobe photoshop with microsoft paint...
Well to be fair, with all the mods, the car is pretty plastic...

The top half.of the photo is awesome withe crisp reflections on the lens, but the bottom half is ... photoshopp'ing using paint...

FM photompde seems to include bot extrems... the really good and the really bad at the same time.... with every single shots... IMHO

GT photomode seems to have an more harmonized look and the ergonomics feels much more natural for a real photographer...

FM sliders is simple but childish...

Driving made easy and colorful...

Not necessarily worse or bad, just a different Focus... No pun intended ;)

I'm trying really hard to get the look I want. But everything I'm trying on my Panasonic GT50 plasma and in the forza camera are failing. It still always look either too cartoonish or filmic look too oversaturated. Even when I lower brightness, contrasy and exposure. Not sure where to set the colour is still to bright even on default for natural settings.

Last edited:
Back