is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

Well to be fair, with all the mods, the car is pretty plastic...

The top half.of the photo is awesome withe crisp reflections on the lens, but the bottom half is ... photoshopp'ing using paint...

FM photompde seems to include bot extrems... the really good and the really bad at the same time.... with every single shots... IMHO

GT photomode seems to have an more harmonized look and the ergonomics feels much more natural for a real photographer...

FM sliders is simple but childish...

Driving made easy and colorful...

Not necessarily worse or bad, just a different Focus... No pun intended ;)
Alot of the reasons things look like that is because of the settings used. The photos are very overexposed causing materials to look odd. Especially with the front end being in direct sunlight, the overexposure is going to be even more pronounced.

Both photomodes will include both extremes, and its up to the photographer to capture the beauty of the game.

Still, how is it childish? Simpler, yes. Not childish. Also, how is the driving made easy and colorful, when it has nothing to do with the driving?

16322639828_44e1805cc1_c.jpg

16294835015_f0908a908d_c.jpg

16643933182_b74ea3920a_c.jpg

I'm trying really hard to get the look I want. But everything I'm trying on my Panasonic GT50 plasma and in the forza camera are failing. It still always look either too cartoonish or filmic look too oversaturated. Even when I lower brightness, contrasy and exposure. Not sure where to set the colour is still to bright even on default for natural settings.
That is because the default settings on photomode do not equate to the default settings of your TV. You'll have to match your TV settings to a photomode picture with all the sliders at their default position in order to get photos that look the same on your TV and on your computer.

Its the amount of exposure you are using that is causing the photos to look like that. 85 is not anywhere close to default. These photos where taken with less than 50 exposure(minus the BMW, had to bump that up to about 55-60 because it was in a shadow), and with 45-50 on color. Brightness and contrast I dont remember, but I always keep those very relative.

Alot of the reasons things look like that is because of the settings used. The photos are very overexposed causing materials to look odd. Especially with the front end being in direct sunlight, the overexposure is going to be even more pronounced.

Both photomodes will include both extremes, and its up to the photographer to capture the beauty of the game.

Still, how is it childish? Simpler, yes. Not childish. Also, how is the driving made easy and colorful, when it has nothing to do with the driving?

16322639828_44e1805cc1_c.jpg

16294835015_f0908a908d_c.jpg

16643933182_b74ea3920a_c.jpg

That is because the default settings on photomode do not equate to the default settings of your TV. You'll have to match your TV settings to a photomode picture with all the sliders at their default position in order to get photos that look the same on your TV and on your computer.

Its the amount of exposure you are using that is causing the photos to look like that. 85 is not anywhere close to default. These photos where taken with less than 50 exposure(minus the BMW, had to bump that up to about 55-60 because it was in a shadow), and with 45-50 on color. Brightness and contrast I dont remember, but I always keep those very relative.

I also found out that on my plasma tv switching C.A.T.S off is something that auto brightens or dims the plasma panel. I turned it off and forza doesn't look overbright or vibrant but its still ok even with it on. Colour balance normal vivid colour off. Gamma is at 1.8. I think I may have messed or adjusted the plasma contrast from default.

I find that my tv now matches forza in game and in photo mode. Whereas I must of been using too high settings before. Also i find that using Vintage and turning up the colour a bit makes forza look much more natural. Hence I might use that setting and adjust exposure brightness contrast and colour with that.

Also I set the forza brightness setting to 60. which helps. If I want I can just up my gamma on my tv a bit to make things a bit darker and less bright grey to grey areas.

Last edited:
Forza looks really fake. Project Cars does that too. That's why GT looks better though it's still current gen.

GT6 is not current gen. It's last gen. I don't know where you've been but PS4 came out November 15th 2013. GT 6 was last gen before it even came out

This guy will say anything to try to defend F5 when the proof is clear as day right here. The F40, LFA, and the RUF really stand out, the F40 clearly looks better and more realistic than F5 model, the LFA on F5 looks generic compared to GT6s model, I mean look at the wheels on the LFA in F5 then look at GT6s, lol. And the RUF, oh boy the RUF, it is an upgraded standard, a standard and looks on par with F5s Yellowbird, lol. I'm sorry F5 fans but your game just took another capital L.

I mean yea, F5 got all the polygons and all the fancy customizable liverys and little details that PD are not able to produce on the PS3 platform but.... GT we have the realistic car models which is clearly more detailed, we have the real physics of the cars and our tracks are way more realistic than they so called laser tracks. HaHa and wow.

I'm proud to be a Gran Turismo, Kaz and Polyphony Digital and team fan!👍

It's disheartening to me because I'm pretty sure Toko Turismo used to be a big GT fan but somehow he has lost his way like an old friend with a drug problem

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot believe that GT6 modeling and textures are so much better then Forza 5's.
And then the obnoxious part of the GTP community is really respecting that with their whining for the rest of
the upcoming content.What a great fan club we are...
Despite them, i don't mean the whole community.It's just wherever i went to read threads, there's complaining.

PD, amazing job.I have no doubt that the next title will be absolutely gorgeous and perfectly made.

GT looks slightly better but the gap is clearly closing and T10 has made big improvements with each installment, whereas GT HD/5P/5/6 all have pretty much the same graphics.

It takes time for game companies to get the most out of a console, the fact that PD has had 2 titles to learn how to push the PS3 to it's limit shows. I'm sure that T10 will learn how to push the XBONE to it's max too and then the graphical difference will grow.

If you compare the first game released for the PS3 to the last game released the difference will be huge. The gap is close now because T10 probably haven't got every last drop out of the XBONe...but they will.

I'd also hazard a guess that when GT7 comes out on PS4 there won't be a huge difference between it and GT6....but then GT8 will probably blow our socks off.

I have no idea what those numbers are, so I dont know. Easiest way would be for me to work of an actual picture and try to compare and I can post my settings.

I'm going to guess that 1/1 on Forza would be 0 and 1/8000(is that the max on GT?) is going to be 100.

For you and anyone else that may not understand the numbers that GT uses for Shutter speed. On a real life camera the shutter speed is measured in fraction of a second. So take the fraction 1/1 - This fraction is of course a whole (1) therefore the shutter will open for 1 full second. Likewise a shutter speed of 2/1 would be 2 seconds of open shutter. Going in the opposite direction, a shutter speed of 1/500 would open the shutter for 1 500th of a second (0.002 seconds), and further, 1/80000 which I think is what they were saying is the minimum, would of course be 1 80000th of a second of shutter open (0.0000125 seconds).

Implications of the shutter speed then? Well that's the easy bit that I'm sure you already know, the longer the shutter is open, the more motion you will see in the image, and more light exposure, the shorter it's open for, the more the picture will be "still" with less light exposure.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Striving for realism...In my opinion, It's not a case of the PS3/GT6 or XBONE/Forza making the pictures look "real", It's mostly down to the user of said platform(s) to get the best out of their photos.

One person can make a photo look almost real either in camera or in post processing but one person no matter what they do and what they use will always make it look unrealistic. Photography is learnt, it's not done for you by a game or an app.

GT6 & Forza 5 has good and bad points, far too many to list here but ANYONE wanting to take a real looking photo will have to learn how to edit their pictures because no matter what you do in game it will never hide the tell tale signs of pixels, bad reflections, wrong lighting/shadows, over/under saturation, awful exposure and so on.

Creating realism from something fake is a hard thing to achieve, your eye notices anything that's not quite right. If you want to take great pictures then you can achieve that from any game because a great picture is great no matter how it's been taken or what's been done to it.

I learnt back in GT4 that there is almost no point trying to dissect everything in game, categorising things into Real or Not Real because games are not real...if you want to take realistic pictures of cars then pick up your camera and go outside and start taking "proper" pictures.

If you want to take "REAL LOOKING" pictures from a game then you'll need to find a way of doing it by utilising any and all tools available to you.

I have my camera and my photography for the real side of life but if i choose to make a "real" picture look unrealistic i can do so in camera and/or in post then i can do, and the same is true with games, I use GT6 and any other games to take great game pictures but how real they look depends on how real the game itself looks, but i can if i wanted to edit the picture to look more life like but that is not my goal in all forms of photography.

My goal is to create an image that looks great....maybe not real and maybe no fake but great none the less.

A look through my galleries will show you lot's of pictures and i doubt any of them look Real but, You'll be amazed what a touch of editing can do to a bad photo from a game if you focus on making a good image instead of worrying about how real it looks:

2k6g.jpg

9360088813_f087639019_c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

specialstageroutex48f.jpg

8552742445_a543867ff8_c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7475266610_a27890992e_c.jpg

7461119006_20f3852e76_c.jpg

So, in my opinion, treat the game as a tool for taking great photos, treat real life photography as a tool for taking great photos....realism can be captured and realism can be edited and they can also be destroyed by the user.

There is no right or wrong way...do what you like and if you like the end result then that's awesome. who cares if it looks 100% life like and real? Life is real, games are not. but a good picture speaks for itself.

I know what i'm trying to say but it's not easy to get across because everyone has a different idea of what makes a game look real. Maybe in 50 years time games will be real...then we can really debate what's better and more life like.

Don't want to drag this off topic, but...
It's disheartening to me because I'm pretty sure Toko Turismo used to be a big GT fan but somehow he has lost his way like an old friend with a drug problem
Put the blame on PD for turning me away from the franchise.

Okay back on topic, won't happen again because I haedly come on here sooo.....

PD have already pushed their models so far that I dont think the jump to next gen is going to be as big as you think its going to be. With that said I would be happy if the focus on other aspects on the next iteration.
You're right, but i was mostly reacting to the "same graphics" sentence

Just my 10 cents: I don't own FM5, but reading the posts here I have to agree with Leeislee and that you need
to use Photo mode as a tool to create your own masterpieces. Personally I like the quite 'flat' lighting of GT6,
as it gives massive room for putting in your own improvements. Some personal examples:

I always find it hugely rewarding to extract as much from a GT picture as possible, sticking as close as possible
to the in-game photo taken.

To me, Forza's lighting system looks comical when being compared with GT. Photomode in GT6 is excellent because you change so many parameters it's ridiculous. Not sure about Forza's photomode because I've never used it, so I can't really make an unbiased decision, can I?
Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit_11 copy.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s copy.jpg

Alfa TZ3 on Ascari 2.jpg

in my opinion gran turismo looks a bit more realistic than forza. Forza is trying a little too hard to look cool, which actually makes it look more like a video game rather than real life.

in my opinion gran turismo looks a bit more realistic than forza. Forza is trying a little too hard to look cool, which actually makes it look more like a video game rather than real life.
I liked your comment because I agree, but then again, of course I would because look at my avatar. :D

Played GT6 little bit yesterday. It still looks great. There is always room for improvement lol having said that it is already pretty good. So people should not expect too much. Forza5 was lacking and not that big of a upgrade.

Neither one of them look like real life. Not even remotely.

I republish the full and not compressed comparison (click on the images for full 1080p) that I have made at march 2014 and that the boy on gamespot has stolen from my post

I thought this was going to be an interesting comparison post until I saw that you compared a Beetle covered in a matte wood effect to a glossy painted one and cars parked in the shade to ones parked in full light. Lighting can drastically change a photo and to use comparisons in such crazily different light is completely unfair.

I thought this was going to be an interesting comparison post until I saw that you compared a Beetle covered in a matte wood effect to a glossy painted one and cars parked in the shade to ones parked in full light. Lighting can drastically change a photo and to use comparisons in such crazily different light is completely unfair.

I have made a lot of photos in that comparison, to insist on a particular one for criticize all the work is ridiculous

Last edited:
Back