is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

I am sure you're happy with the forza's photomode because it's "easy" (Imo i don't understand how it can be easier than GT6's one without removing other options since I don't have Forza) but the thing is, we are comparing both photomode, and I don't think which one is more "user-friendly" is very relevant since it is only a personnal judgement.
Right now the comparison is going good about the features and all. I don't have Forza 5 but if I had it I would bring some comparison shots.
It is exactly relevant because that sole reason can be used to base an assumption on which photomode you think is better. This whole thread is based upon personal judgement.. What else would it be based on?

Well, going off the thread title, I would assume the subject is the photomode.
If you for some convenient reason wants to ignore the first post in order to elaborate your own custom off-topic inspired just by the title to distract from the real focus of the topic, then yes.

Ease of use is perfectly relevant if the more "advanced" system doesn't explain what all of the options made available do.
While not exactly stating it, the actual website does have info on the settings. Although, its more of a "find it yourself" rather than outright telling you.

If you for some convenient reason wants to ignore the first post in order to elaborate your own custom off-topic inspired just by the title to distract from the real focus of the topic, then yes.
And for it to not turn into another ridiculous thread that has nothing to do with the actual topic, this was said;

I'm going to outline this just once more:

- This is not an FM5 vs. GT6 thread. We have one of those.
- This is not an Xbox One vs. PS4 thread. We have several of those and here's two of them.
- This is a thread comparing the photomode of FM5 and GT6, nothing more and nothing less.

If the thread breaks topic once more for any reason it'll be locked and won't be reopened.

So If you, for some convenient reason, want to ignore the moderator in order to elaborate your own custom off-topic inspired just by the baited post to distract from the real focus of the topic, then that's fine, right?.

So you agree that discussing realism and graphics between photomodes is off-topic and not the main subject of this 23 pages thread?

So you agree that discussing realism and graphics between photomodes is off-topic and not the main subject of this 23 pages thread?
Have you said anything about that yet? Because I could have sworn you where just trying to put emphasis on the different generations of consoles based on a post in the thread, that was later changed down the line by a moderator, to put in some ground rules.

...people are still talking about graphics versus the photo modes themselves?

*sigh*

It's incredibly easy to cherry-pick images that could turn the first post's message around: I could find pictures of any of the hundreds of crap Standards on a last-gen track like Trial Mountain and compare them to one of the better Forza models in a well-lit environment. I could also not botch the photomode settings for one game versus the other to further the point. Not that I expect anything more than blinkered bias...

Both games' Photomodes have their pros and cons. As someone who has worked with SLR cameras for a decade or so, I appreciate the real numbers used in GT: it's far easier to know what I'm working towards versus the 0-100 sliders of Forza. But for those that aren't familiar with camera settings, those sliders are undoubtedly less intimidating. I can see both sides of what @Griffith500 and @gtuned are saying about shutter speed affecting light. I imagine it'd frustrate the average player if they had to balance that, and it's probably not worth PD implementing something that would satisfy a niche within a niche of their player base. GT6 has those filters available, but they're all pretty crap, so hardly a positive.

GT wins on ease-of-access outside of the game, too, though as I've already mentioned in this very thread, it's still not at GT4's level.

Replay mode in FM being so much more useful than GT's does make capturing specific moments easier in that game.

While not exactly stating it, the actual website does have info on the settings. Although, its more of a "find it yourself" rather than outright telling you.
I dunno. I agree with gtuned's point that one of GT's photomode strengths is that it gives you an actual camera rather than just a screenshot software, but I think it also has to be taken into account that the layman's definition of camera (which nowadays is probably something like whatever camera app they use on their phone, but even when GT5 was new would have just meant a point and shoot jobby instead of an SLR) and what GT provides don't necessarily align.

I agree that most of the discussion was about what you want to talk about instead (presumably because you know you would just be chased out of the dedicated versus thread again), but it's pretty hard to argue Toko's post was in the wrong when it aligns exactly with the last clear moderation instructions regarding on topic content in this thread.

Last edited:
This is the problem with threads like this...no matter what you say there are people who refuse to listen and you can never change peoples opinion no matter how much you say on the topic.

Why not just end it with, If you like GT6's photomode then good, if you like Forza's then good.

Make great images and be happy. Life's too short to worry what game is better than the other.

This is the problem with threads like this...no matter what you say there are people who refuse to listen and you can never change peoples opinion no matter how much you say on the topic.

Why not just end it with, If you like GT6's photomode then good, if you like Forza's then good.

Make great images and be happy. Life's too short to worry what game is better than the other.
I think comparison(not VS) threads can be great and would be a great way for communities to come together on a common interest. Its just when certain members find any thread that has GT and FM in the title and turn it into a battle thread, regardless of what its actually about.

Although, the thread title has already led people off on a tangent before even replying.

And it goes to show, have far off the topic you where. You talked more about Forza's graphical shortcomings than the photomode, at all.
You was actively discussing in many of the above posts and asking for those details and graphical flaws, not sure why you act now offended and defensive. That has been the general topic and focus of this entire thread.

For example:
That is true, but for rubber, wouldnt that be the opposite? That is a material that doesnt reflect much in sunlight, and should even less in when there is less light source.

I agree, I was never really fond of the brakelight/headlight materials on some cars in Forza. I always loved how GT's brake lights looked when illuminated, worked especially well in photomode.

What do you guys think is wrong with Forza's reflection's?

I think comparison(not VS) threads can be great and would be a great way for communities to come together on a common interest. Its just when certain members find any thread that has GT and FM in the title and turn it into a battle thread, regardless of what its actually about.

Although, the thread title has already led people off on a tangent before even replying.
It's not comparing though and it's certainly not a winner takes all versus match is it? It's opinion and nothing more.
The game developers make a game and we either like it or not. That is the simple thing it boils down to.

I cannot stand the Call of duty games, would i join a thread telling people how awful it is and try to convince others i'm right? No, it's my opinion and it's neither right or wrong.

Life is really too short and too important for stuff like this....in my opinion :)

@SlipZtrEm brought up another point I didn't think about.

The ease of access outside of game. GT4 had the best damn feature with saving directly to a USB which even to this day is still genius. GT4's whole photomode selection (i'll throw hands if you say GT4's stages weren't the best of all time) and options were fantastic and one of the few things I will praise PD for. Another thought that popped into my head, is that GT7 will do the same driveclub does for their photomode, which I don't necessarily like. Pressing X removes the hud, and you press the share button to capture the screen. Granted it captures and saves it to your HDD, but the quality degrades, and isn't as sharp as GT5/6's, which saved it directly through some magic. GT7 will probably go through this method too, which puts me off from even thinking of buying GT7 for photomode even more. (I've been put off from buying gt7 from other "brilliant" decisions in both GT6 and for GT7, but that's for another thread) PD will probably use the share button to cut corners and not implement a HD capture system, they'll just figure the PS4's share button is good enough. Just like how PS2 quality cars are good enough for a PS4...

Forza's though could benefit from saving directly to HDD. The web upload is annoying, and will degrade quality. not sure if they have changed it since 4. But it's just something I don't like seeing as quality is a huge thing to me.

Honestly though, as I've said before Forza's isn't bad. It's just simpler. Still produces amazing photos as @ImaRobot and others have shown, and GT6 still preforms decently despite being on an older system and having one of the worst (yet somehow realistic to a degree in some situations) lighting models.

I would actually be down for that. To have a civil debate and actually compare quality between the games, even including Driveclub as well.

But this is GTP, you can't criticize GT5/6 in anyway, with proof and praise Forza or Driveclub without being a "troll"

I really don't like GT6 anymore to be honest. I've seen through PD's questionable decisions and lack of support for GT6 and listening to their fans, but I'll still say that the photomode in 4/5/6 is fantastic, despite the game getting worse overall.

Yeah Kaz. "Around the world" DOESN'T EQUATE JUST SPAIN AND ITALY YOU 🤬

It's not comparisons though and it's certainly not a winner takes all versus match is it? It's opinion and nothing more.
The game developers make a game and we either like it or not. That is the simple thing it boils down to.

I cannot stand the Call of duty games, would i join a thread telling people how awful it is and try to convince others i'm right? No, it's my opinion and it's neither right or wrong.

Life is really too short and too important for stuff like this....in my opinion :)
Truer words were never spoken...............and that's my opinion. ;)

To me, which one's better is only a matter of preference. The photomodes in GT and Forza are both great, and I don't see a reason why we're arguing over this*.

*either if i'm confused or i'm too much of an idiot to understand the whole situation :dunce:

It's not comparisons though and it's certainly not a winner takes all versus match is it? It's opinion and nothing more.

I know its not. I was being hopefully optimistic at the direction this could have gone in. Showcasing two great games, showing the best from both.

Opinion being right or wrong is irrelevant, life is never to short for discussion, as long as its civil.

You was actively discussing in many of the above posts and asking for those details and graphical flaws, not sure why you act now offended and defensive. That has been the general topic and focus of this entire thread.

For example:
Yup I did, good thing I stopped going off topic, especially after mod intervention. Still, I'm not suddenly getting defensive, as I was when you initially posted, this just didnt pop in now. Not sure why you kept going.

Now, here I am again though, being dragged in by you.

Or maybe short of money (@_@)

PD have the ability to read / write directly to the USB on PS3, that's how the Motec export works. Perhaps they tried to follow the Sony book regarding media export from games for the photos; a separate one-step export may be nice to have as well.

On that front, there is no reason to think PD would abandon the custom framebuffer and in-game storage approach they've been using from the start. PS3 allows for pictures to be exported to the XMB (Wipeout HD is an immediate example), but PD store them in their own way as part of the game data first. Maybe on PS4 there'll be the option to save in different ways, as above.

Regarding ease of use, it would be good for PD to obfuscate some of the technicality a touch, but leave it as an option for those that want it - even the seriously anal exposure stuff.
In that case, what I'd want is faster turnaround for "test shots", meaning a kind of part-quality pre-render option to check things like the exposure and blur etc. before going for the full render.

A more "point and shoot" camera option would be interesting, with autofocus, different "image modes" etc. - they could look to Sony's hardware catalogue for that. Kinda gimmicky, but if it's functional it'd help to separate out the technical detail somewhat, and in a way that people will understand. Don't know what an SLR camera is? Don't care? That's just fine, use this.

That means they could simulate more of the "automatic" aspects of real cameras for those that may only be slightly adventurous, like the different priority modes on most zoom cameras.

Then there are the things you can do in a game that can't easily be done in real life, like the flying boom shots, ultra-clean studio shots (like their publicity shots!), unusual filters, modular composition (again, like their "studio" shots) etc. which PD could expand upon.

Photomode in both of these games can be pretty amazing, especially in the hands of some of the really skilled people on these forums. The lighting in GT6 can be compelling, the fly in the ointment for me and some others is STANDARD CARS! For me, the inferior quality of many of them means I have to spend time "cleaning them up" that dulls the advantages that GT6 has. Did Kaz say they are going to be back for GT7? PS4 won't fix that. I hope he has a change of heart, just my opinion.

Sorry, I forgot to add "at the same user skill level".
If they are the same level then the pictures would be equally beautiful, no? As the settings used are gong to be the most important part. It'll all come down to how you capture that photo, without trying to bring each games car modeling into the picture.

Although, even though I'd rather not bring it into the equation either, but GT's time of day works wonders in photomode and can make a lot of difference between two exact same shots.

Okay, let's steer this a bit more toward the actual subject and not necessarily the byproducts of said subject.

When it comes to ease of use, and yes it absolutely does matter, Forza has the upper hand but not because of the numerical sliders, it's simply because the interface itself is much cleaner and inviting than what GT offers. When it comes to breadth of options this is where GT has the upper hand, even if I, personally, am not too crazy with the way everything is situated; it's mimicking that of an actual camera and that's fine, but why does it have to look so... bloody cluttered?

Camera scrolling, something I loathe in GT5 and 6 (I can't remember the speed in 4), automatically goes to Forza because it isn't wasting your time, however, the one colossal drawback in that regard is the available area in which to 'free-roam' and seeing as that available area is, at best, 100 feet away, your creativity is confined and I'm not particularly fond of that. In terms of setting up scenic shots on the track (or road) both games fall short even if GT offers fixed angles.

...And what is with the inability to emulate angles and zoom levels similar to those you see before entering photo mode in GT?

I don't understand why you treat the ones discussing about GT6's photomode as "fanboys" (GT fans highly suggests you're using that word). In no way are they "fanboys", they are simply discussing and why not, bring a picture from the game itself (since the subject is about photomode) to support what they're claiming. I think you're trying not to look like the one you're claiming not to be, but you look like it as you treat those who talk about GT6's photomode as the "fanboys"

I am in no way claiming anyone to be "you know what". The OP isn't excatly clear when he created this thread, because this is what he said on the first page.

I find this
the result is interesting
enen though Forza 5 is next gen, GT6 still looks more realistic in terms of lighting

And the title he wrote saids this.
is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?
The OP is basically telling everyone "Oh this game is realistic" which gives those the idea that they need to compare "graphics" when it should be in here. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/forza-5-vs-gt6-see-first-post-before-posting.282773/

My post is only based on which game has a "easy to use" photomode, especially for new players who want to take quick photos, and I went with Forza only because it's easy to use IMO. I do like GT's photomode (like I said in the last page) for the options it gives to its players. Although it needs to be easy on those who are new, which gives Forza the upper hand. It's not based lighting or anything.

T-12 gave a great example to give others ideas what this thread should really be about. THAT, is what the subject of the thread is based on, not "which game looks more realistic in terms of lighting". The title of the thread is very misleading on itself.

I am sure you're happy with the forza's photomode because it's "easy" (Imo i don't understand how it can be easier than GT6's one without removing other options since I don't have Forza) but the thing is, we are comparing both photomode, and I don't think which one is more "user-friendly" is very relevant since it is only a personnal judgement.
Right now the comparison is going good about the features and all. I don't have Forza 5 but if I had it I would bring some comparison shots.
Well theres your problem. Usually when you compare something, you HAVE to own both games (or more) to do proper comparisons. You don't need comparison shots either. All you really need to do is just say which game has a better photomode and explain it. It's that simple, though remember to respect their opinions and they'll respect yours (if they're not being bias of course, no I'm not being bias either btw).

Last edited:
Photomode in both of these games can be pretty amazing, especially in the hands of some of the really skilled people on these forums. The lighting in GT6 can be compelling, the fly in the ointment for me and some others is STANDARD CARS! For me, the inferior quality of many of them means I have to spend time "cleaning them up" that dulls the advantages that GT6 has. Did Kaz say they are going to be back for GT7? PS4 won't fix that. I hope he has a change of heart, just my opinion.

GT6 ha more detail in the model of the car.
Forza 5 is relying on Photo textures , so the Details get lost, because the Model is flat.
photo textures look good from a distance.

An example is the tail lights and Head lamps, the grills.
in GT6 the details are there because the model has the details, not just the texture.

GT6 ha more detail in the model of the car.
Forza 5 is relying on Photo textures , so the Details get lost, because the Model is flat.
photo textures look good from a distance.

An example is the tail lights and Head lamps, the grills.
in GT6 the details are there because the model has the details, not just the texture.

Not only has this got nothing to do with photo mode, it would appear you're slighting Forza for using... a different LoD in photo mode compared to in-game, something I assure you GT6 does as well.

Back