is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

A few photo's I took this morning of the Yellowbird and Mustang GT, I'm not a great photographer by any means but FM5 is pretty capable of some fine results if you have the eye for it. Some of the photo's being used to compare it towards GT6 are not really representative of what it can achieve, same goes for GT6.

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

Gran Turismo looks better.

Doesn't make it a better game.

Cutting straight to your point, huh? :lol:

Here's my comments adding to this fiery debate. After all, what's a discussion without some well-placed and well-kept/well-mannered heated debates?

- FM5 is obviously the first effort on the new hardware and already looks fairly polished for a launch title game. How many people were excusing Gran Turismo 5 for being the first full effort (despite GTHD and GT5:P ) on the PS3 and what makes this scenario any different?

- Again, there's no doubt that Gran Turismo's photomode feature (I cannot stress that word enough) is more plentiful than Forza Motorsports, again, even if FM has certain liberties that GT does not, but it is not without its own shortcomings - acknowledged by Kazunori himself.

Anything seen in Forza's release photos are entirely possible (other than the blacked-out watermark that moves down toward the bottom left-hand corner as opposed to white in the upper right-hand corner) whereas there are plenty of release photos from GT6 depicting finishes and effects that simply are not possible.

- Both games have less in the way of flexibility compared to their predecessors (GT5, FM4) and haven't made any real advancements since before then.

To be clear, I don't consider the two car feature a real advancement considering I can do that myself with a couple of minutes of stitch work and get exactly what I want, however, I won't rule out its inclusion entirely when brought up.

A few photo's I took this morning of the Yellowbird and Mustang GT, I'm not a great photographer by any means but FM5 is pretty capable of some fine results if you have the eye for it. Some of the photo's being used to compare it towards GT6 are not really representative of what it can achieve, same goes for GT6.

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

I know a thing or two about 3d and modelling, but I'll make it easier for T10... j/k

They should improve their headlights materials. It's one of the first things that stand out when it's wrong. And like human eyes, our brain is used to look for them at first. They look like milky plastic lenses, not transparent glass ones. The plastic ones like the porsche blinkers sometimes look right (lower picture), sometimes look wrong. (upper picture)

Another thing that looks weird it's the air intake on the bumper. It looks completely closed, not a vented one.

T10 has come a long way, but they still got work to do towards photorealism.

The situations in these photos were similar anyway, similar enough to fairly see the differences between the lighting in forza and in gt.

And who is "we"?

Well, I play gt6 for starters, so I'm with him. Then we have the other few million who bought this game, and a fair percentage of the gtplanet users.

Ok, since you brought up GTPalnet users, it would be fair that a fair percentage of them can see the graphical DNA sprouting from the very first Forza game.

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx
GT6 still looks better. :P

Haven't had this feeling in a while, but I can sense the hype starting to come to life again.
Don't overhype dude. As soon as you see standards in GT7 you're probably gonna stay in the bathroom vomiting for 30 minutes all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would help if some of the shots showed cars not first featured on the 360. Try the Veneno, new Audi S3 or the open wheelers that are all new to Forza 5 if you want to talk about model quality.

I think this thread is the confirmation of kaz's words in saying that between ps3 and ps4 won't exist a big gap only better scenerys, more cars on the grid and better reflections all over the car since it's not possible to have all of this in the ps3

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx
They're lovely, but gt6 is still superior I would say.

Also, I see your name literally all the time in YouTube comments :lol:

If you are going to compare photos you have to have similar lighting conditions otherwise it's pointless. One car with the sun in front, the other with the sun behind at an angle, and the photo taken from the rear is going to produce wildly different results. Looks to me like most of the photos were taken with Forza in the worst light and GT in the best light. Switch the lighting around between the 2 and you get a dramatically different result, the opposite I expect.

I think someone also mentioned that PCars looks fake. Well if this is fake I certainly hope GT is able to achieve this level of fakeness on the GT7 because I'd be quite satisfied with this:

BMW Street.jpg

GT40.jpg

Sure lighting is a big factor but no matter what kind of lighting is used those taillights on forzas f40 will look worse than gt6.

Last edited:
These comparisons were honestly rushed, just to say how better GT6 is again when it comes to lighting and graphics..... You shouldn't even be placing the cars in different locations and spots either.

:rolleyes:

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx
I can easily distinguish these photos from real cars, the lighting in Forza is not realistic as GT6 and that's the problem for T10

Last edited:
If you are going to compare photos you have to have similar lighting conditions otherwise it's pointless. One car with the sun in front, the other with the sun behind at an angle, and the photo taken from the rear is going to produce wildly different results. Looks to me like most of the photos were taken with Forza in the worst light and GT in the best light. Switch the lighting around between the 2 and you get a dramatically different result, the opposite I expect.

I think someone also mentioned that PCars looks fake. Well if this is fake I certainly hope GT is able to achieve this level of fakeness on the GT7 because I'd be quite satisfied with this:

View attachment 181692
View attachment 181695
I think it looks great. And I'm looking foreword to PCARS but something just looks a bit off with the lighting. But that's just my opinion.

View attachment 181692
View attachment 181695

Are those taken from the console versions of pCars, or from PC with max settings? And will there be much difference between console and PC versions?

Are those taken from the console versions of pCars, or from PC with max settings? And will there be much difference between console and PC versions?
I was not comparing the PCars photos to the GT6 or Forza 5 photos, I was responding to the point that PCars looks fake, which I clearly stated. Since pretty much all the video and images of PCars are from PC, he must have been referring to PC generated images when he made the claim so it's appropriate to post PC grade images to illustrate the ludicrousness of that position.
And like I said, I hope GT7 achieves that level of "fakeness" when it arrives on the PS4. PD has done wonders with the PS3, I have no doubt GT7 will be graphically up to speed with the next-gen games, standards cars and tracks aside of course.

For anyone who thinks Project CARS is "brilliant".

That's how it actually is on a PS4 and not a high spec £3000 PC, which all the photos are taken from.

To me, it looks fake and far from Simulation...

But, as this is a Forza 5 vs GT6 photomode thread, I'm not sure pCARS is really relevant.

For anyone who thinks Project CARS is "brilliant".

That's how it actually is on a PS4 and not a high spec £3000 PC, which all the photos are taken from.

But, as this is a Forza 5 vs GT6 photomode thread, I'm not sure pCARS is really relevant.
Well thanks for posting that. I was unaware that a handheld capture device from a television screen at a video show and posted on Youtube was the best way to showcase new games. To heck with all those direct capture video's of various games I've been downloading over the years.:lol:

Maybe you missed the part where he says, "the camera footage does not do the video quality justice".

Well thanks for posting that. I was unaware that a handheld capture device from a television screen at a video show and posted on Youtube was the best way to showcase new games. To heck with all those direct capture video's of various games I've been downloading over the years.:lol:

Well it's better than what everyone who is fanboying over pCARS is currently going on...

not a high spec £3000 PC, which all the photos are taken from.

I'm sorry, this type of nonsense gets me every time. You do not need a near $5200 PC to play pCARS. You do not need a near $5200 PC to play any game for any reason.

You can't even build a near $5200 PC without adding excess hardware to the mix, and at that point unless the means are justified I'd have to conclude whomever it is has no idea what they're doing.

And if you think you have proof of such an unbelievably daft accusation - my PC, and those of anyone I've bothered to look at over at WMD comes nowhere close to $2700, let alone a near $5200.

I won't even bother with this one.

Bicker once more for any reason and some of you will find yourselves with some time away from GTPlanet.

You do that Toko.

I'm sorry, this type of nonsense gets me every time. You do not need a near $5200 PC to play pCARS. You do not need a near $5200 PC to play any game for any reason.

You can't even build a near $5200 PC without adding excess hardware to the mix, and at that point unless the means are justified I'd have to conclude whomever it is has no idea what they're doing.

90% of the photos are taken from a PC with more processing power than a PS4 and Xbox One combined. How is it a fair comparison to a PS3 game?

You are right though. I can run pCARS on my laptop, but it'd look worse than TOCA 2. The photos everyone are seeing of pCARS up to this moment are from systems far more powerful than what the average person can afford. Thus making any comparison void to a console game until said game is shown upon a console, allowing a direct and fair comparison between the two.

I won't even bother with this one.

:dunce:

hsv
Forza has ZOMG levels of detail, but there's something about the lighting that has always bugged me a tad. The cars just look... a little rubbery? Too real, almost?
IMO though, everything on next-gen is going to look good, at least on the sim side of things and DriveClub as well. I'm sure we can microanalyze and find little issues here and there, but from what I've seen so far, everything looks good for the future. The real separator is going to be the physics and gameplay and I think you have at least 4 very different options so far in PCars, GT7, Forza 5 and DriveClub, ranging from full on sim to simcade.
90% of the photos are taken from a PC with more processing power than a PS4 and Xbox One combined. How is it a fair comparison to a PS3 game?
It's not a fair comparison I completely agree, nor has anyone made that comparison on this thread. Great timing on the double post by the way. :sly:

GT had always great color pallet, graphical style and the cars looks extremely real. It does a fantastic job at simulating reality, greatly enchaining the immersion. All of the Kaz's movie/photography background is shining thru.

Forza while technically superior looks like a game. I don't think it's because Turn10 is incapable - it's more of a choice in my opinion.

To their credit, the lighting on the Nordschleife is a step on again for Turn 10. If they had a five-year development cycle, I think they could accomplish benchmark graphical fidelity. They've changed the lighting engine three times in five years in pursuit of refining it.

Back