Is it just me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Velocity
  • 120 comments
  • 6,860 views
440 CHARGER
Yes, Thankyou for clearing that up Jmac279! I was getting ready to post the same thing, but you beat me to it! Some of you are getting it right, but the others, come on...

O.K. so I spelled camAro wrong, sorry. And to think I actually own one. Am I forgiven by the spelling gods?
 
viper684
That is ugly as hell. Looks like Chevy tried to pull of what Ford did with the Mustang. Ford did a hell of a lot better job though. The 69 is my favorite Camaro and chevy just butchered it.


I like that car.. I don't like the current body styles cause the cars look too narrow and long (Like a missle).. The picture makes the car look more short and wide.. I like that.. It also looks more bulky with more agressive body lines.. The current body styles just didn't do that for me.. Oh well to each his own. :dopey:
 
nope, i personally don't like older cars, as i find that most of their gearboxes can't handle the power of tuning, however, nothing beats them for fun!!! Oh, and to answer your question, i am not going to buy it because of old cars, i buy it simply because it displays the name gran turismo, and they haven't made a bad game yet!
 
The muscle cars is definately a big plus for the game, just too bad there isn`t a few more of them. I`m living in "motor city" Halden Norway; the absolute musclecar city outside the US, and off course I`m driving classic US muscles. (Audi-killer)
Later today some friends are meeting at a friends place(a +600hp Transam guy) to celebrate the game-release with some musclecar battles. And off course a few laps with the old Volvo.. :cheers:


jreay21 ; "- gearboxes can`t handle powertuning? "

- what gearboxes? Old US boxes can take anything, old Volvo-boxes up to 700hp with not too big rear tyres :trouble:
 
Ah, the VW Golf GTI. Known in the states under two names:

1. Rabbit
2. High school shop class car
 
cobra427
with the right tuning pure US muscle will kill most imports .... or tuner cars


Really? You think?
Hmmmmm........I think that if you put a 6 liter or larger engine in just anything that it'll take a car with 3 liters or less.
Duh...........
Most tuners or imports are 2-4 liters. Most muscle are 6-8 liters.
go figure.
It's comments like that one that make me laugh at american car fans.
Of course the car will give the imports a run for their money.......they have almost TWICE THE ENGINE SIZE.
When american cars can consistantly run the same times, handle as good, and last past 200k miles with minimal maint like the imports, that will be the day I start buying American. Until then, I'll just laugh at the idiots who think that they can compare a car with 8 liters to a car with 3..................

If you want to compare cars...........hows this for reality
Toyota Supra (the last version they made) versus......Chevy Malibu.
that's a little more of the same engine size......in the 3 liter class.
Or maybe take the newer Impala's....they have a 3.4 liter.
Sorry, but the supra would smoke the Malibu or Impala any day of the week.
Why can the Japanese make engines that are smaller yet produce well over the HP that the same size american engines make?
I was told it's because the Japanese make their engines a little tighter to spec (they throw out 3 parts for ever 1 the americans do that are off spec) and thus can squeeze that much more performance out............but I don't know. Does anyone have a logical explanation?
 
there are some muscle cars that are pretty neat. Shelby Cobra, Corvette Stingray, and the old Ford Mustang Fastbacks.

they really cant compare as far as handling goes, but i do like the simplicity of old muscle car engines. its pretty freaky to see all the plumbings for the intercooler, turbos, etc underneath the hood of an import.

the Nissan Skyline feels more insane in this latest ed. of GT. its simply amazing how it puts down all that power (just as reference, mine was modded with around 350-400 hp). it handles slightly better in this GT than the last one.

but i digress. the coolest "old school" car in my book is the '86 RUF BTR II. that thing hauls ass and it handles like a dream. the '87 RUF CTR is pretty close to that car but i like how the BTR can be modded with that towering wing.
 
I'm a big fan of the way the older mustangs looked. I like the Shelby Cobra as. It just looks like such a fun car to drive.
I was thinking about picking up a cobra replicar just for the summers here. They just aren't worth it for a everyday car but for the weekends they would be sweet.
Otherwise I'll just still with my 5th gen Toyota Celica GT-4 Carlos Sainz Edition.
 
S31Ender
Really? You think?
Hmmmmm........I think that if you put a 6 liter or larger engine in just anything that it'll take a car with 3 liters or less.
Duh...........
Most tuners or imports are 2-4 liters. Most muscle are 6-8 liters.
go figure.
It's comments like that one that make me laugh at american car fans.
Of course the car will give the imports a run for their money.......they have almost TWICE THE ENGINE SIZE.
When american cars can consistantly run the same times, handle as good, and last past 200k miles with minimal maint like the imports, that will be the day I start buying American. Until then, I'll just laugh at the idiots who think that they can compare a car with 8 liters to a car with 3..................

If you want to compare cars...........hows this for reality
Toyota Supra (the last version they made) versus......Chevy Malibu.
that's a little more of the same engine size......in the 3 liter class.
Or maybe take the newer Impala's....they have a 3.4 liter.
Sorry, but the supra would smoke the Malibu or Impala any day of the week.
Why can the Japanese make engines that are smaller yet produce well over the HP that the same size american engines make?
I was told it's because the Japanese make their engines a little tighter to spec (they throw out 3 parts for ever 1 the americans do that are off spec) and thus can squeeze that much more performance out............but I don't know. Does anyone have a logical explanation?
This argument is so ... umm ... yeah ...

1) Name something that would compete with the old Muscle cars that was produced between 1965 and 1972 that costed a relatively equal amount ...

2) Comparing a Malibu to a Supra ? Come on ...

3) You want a logical explanation why American companies use larger engines ?

Here are the reasons why American companies use larger engines ...

1) It's cheaper to make power with a larger engine than to invest in researching new technologies ...
2) It's much easier to make power at low RPMs with a larger engine ...
3) Other lesser reasons (sound, bigger = better perception in America, hatred of turbos, etc.) ...
 
The old cars are my favorite part of the game. They take some work to become stable corner carvers but there is nothing more cool then driving good old muscle cars. All of them too not just the American old cars, im talking all of them.
Of course the 69 Camaro is my favorite to see in the pit stop and on the replays but next would be the 70 Chevelle, Cuda, Mustang then every other old car after that. Even the ones I have never seen like the old foreign cars. It is just like playing history and I learn about cars all the time in this game. I hear myself saying "ohhhh thats what an old Skyline looked like" just for an example. :)
 
CAMAROBOY69
The old cars are my favorite part of the game. They take some work to become stable corner carvers but there is nothing more cool then driving good old muscle cars. All of them too not just the American old cars, im talking all of them.
Of course the 69 Camaro is my favorite to see in the pit stop and on the replays but next would be the 70 Chevelle, Cuda, Mustang then every other old car after that. Even the ones I have never seen like the old foreign cars. It is just like playing history and I learn about cars all the time in this game. I hear myself saying "ohhhh thats what an old Skyline looked like" just for an example. :)

I definitely agree with you Camaroboy69. It is so much more than carving corners, gas mileage, etc. It is the feeling you get when you turn the key on a big block chevy and the entire car erupts to life. The way it shakes, the smell of gasoline, arm getting tired from wrestling the gearbox. You just don't get that feeling from fuel injected 2-3 liters. I have had the opportunity to drive a '79 porsche and it was a huge thrill- for the same reasons.
This game definitally gives me a chance to learn about all the classics abroad as well. I really hope that classic cars is a reaccuring theme in the future GT games as well.
 
HAHAHA Simplicity of old engines?!?! THAT IS THE MOST HILARIOUS THING I'VE EVER HEARD.
You've obviously never looked under the hood of a 1984 Grand Wagoneer.
attachment.php


Let's compare that to

333186_18_full.jpg
 
sleepyboy1
I definitely agree with you Camaroboy69. It is so much more than carving corners, gas mileage, etc. It is the feeling you get when you turn the key on a big block chevy and the entire car erupts to life. The way it shakes, the smell of gasoline, arm getting tired from wrestling the gearbox. You just don't get that feeling from fuel injected 2-3 liters. I have had the opportunity to drive a '79 porsche and it was a huge thrill- for the same reasons.
This game definitally gives me a chance to learn about all the classics abroad as well. I really hope that classic cars is a reaccuring theme in the future GT games as well.

Its so much more than the smell of gasoline entoxicating you while you drive, it's so much more than the way a car shakes due to rigidity, it's much more than using an old crappy transmission that won't go into 3rd gear unless you're over 40mph.
It's the feeling you get when your 22 pounds of boost kicks in.
It's the feeling you get when your body experiences 1.00 lateral g's
It's the feeling you get when you can control a cars hp, be it 400hp or 900 hp with a portable digital device.
It's the feeling you get when your quiet SSQ chirping car can still run 11-10 second quarter miles with the radio on and have it be completly audible.
 
Jmac279
2) Comparing a Malibu to a Supra ? Come on ...

3) You want a logical explanation why American companies use larger engines ?

Here are the reasons why American companies use larger engines ...

1) It's cheaper to make power with a larger engine than to invest in researching new technologies ...
2) It's much easier to make power at low RPMs with a larger engine ...
3) Other lesser reasons (sound, bigger = better perception in America, hatred of turbos, etc.) ...


Ummmmm.....my point exaclty.......if you think comparing a malibu with a 3.1 liter engine and a Supra with a 2.5 or 3 liter engine is retarded then how about that post I was origionally replying to, which compares old muscle with 5,6,7,8 liter engines with imports that have 2 or 3 liter engines. Of course the muscle cars could smoke the imports.........they had engines twice the size! A little fact that idiot failed to mention to people reading his post.
"Gee..........I'll bet that Mercedes 600 over there can take that Toyota Corolla!!!"
No kidding, you think?
There is no difference between what I said and what that poster said. NONE.

THAT is what I was replying to. That was the point I was trying to make.




Larger engines also tear themselves apart more easily, larger engines also weigh more, larger engines also use more fuel.


You're thinking is exaclty the american mentality that the rest of the world hates. Use more, bigger, wasteful everything when it can be done with something half the size and only 75 percent of the waste.
 
Driftster
Its so much more than the smell of gasoline entoxicating you while you drive, it's so much more than the way a car shakes due to rigidity, it's much more than using an old crappy transmission that won't go into 3rd gear unless you're over 40mph.
It's the feeling you get when your 22 pounds of boost kicks in.
It's the feeling you get when your body experiences 1.00 lateral g's
It's the feeling you get when you can control a cars hp, be it 400hp or 900 hp with a portable digital device.
It's the feeling you get when your quiet SSQ chirping car can still run 11-10 second quarter miles with the radio on and have it be completly audible.

I actually agree with your points, Driftster. I will stand and admire the guy who tunes his AWD eclipse to run 11's (I have a soft spot for WRX's as well). I think the turbo wine is pretty cool when I see it being run flat out at the track. As far as lateral G's, it's just personal preference. I would rather sink back into my seat on acceleration. ANY transmission that is old is probably crappy, but I see guys with built 2 speed powerglides from the 60's hold 800 hp.
It's hard to argue all these points in an international forum because alot of it is how we all, as auto enthusiasts, like to satisfy our performance urges. You will never sway guys like me who live for Detroit muscle, and I will never sway you. If you pull up to the light next to me in my '65 Chevelle (shaking from the 454 ci and smelling like high octane :) ) and you kill me in a drag race with your Skyline or whatever, I'll still think my car is better than yours, and vice versa if I smoke you. What I don't tolerate is the comment S31Ender makes at the end of his post about typical American waste :irked: (which I will address in my next reply) Happy motoring! :)
 
S31Ender
You're thinking is exaclty the american mentality that the rest of the world hates. Use more, bigger, wasteful everything when it can be done with something half the size and only 75 percent of the waste.

"... it can be done with half the size and only 75% of the waste." Sounds pretty boring to me :indiff: .
Let the rest of the world hate us then. This forum is about appreciation of the classic cars (from ANY country) represented in this video game, and what each of us likes and dislikes about those cars, NOT to take cheap shots at some people who just happen to like big displacement motors. If your point was proven wrong by someone, be a man and say: "I didn't realize that, but I will still continue to compare BMW M3 motors to Chevy S-10 motors." :dopey:
 
LoudMusic
I started the Ring in a Shelby ... got about three corners before I realized that was a bad idea. I need to buy / win one so I can slap some tuning on it and make it fun.
Really? With practice I've got my Shelby Cobra flying around the ring. Just keep at it.
 
S31Ender
Ummmmm.....my point exaclty.......if you think comparing a malibu with a 3.1 liter engine and a Supra with a 2.5 or 3 liter engine is retarded then how about that post I was origionally replying to, which compares old muscle with 5,6,7,8 liter engines with imports that have 2 or 3 liter engines. Of course the muscle cars could smoke the imports.........they had engines twice the size! A little fact that idiot failed to mention to people reading his post.
"Gee..........I'll bet that Mercedes 600 over there can take that Toyota Corolla!!!"
No kidding, you think?
There is no difference between what I said and what that poster said. NONE.

THAT is what I was replying to. That was the point I was trying to make.




Larger engines also tear themselves apart more easily, larger engines also weigh more, larger engines also use more fuel.


You're thinking is exaclty the american mentality that the rest of the world hates. Use more, bigger, wasteful everything when it can be done with something half the size and only 75 percent of the waste.
Comparing a Malibu ($19,825 MSRP mid-size family sedan) to a Supra ($40,508 MSRP sports car) is retarded ... Two completely different designs for completely different purposes ... Then factor in that the Supra was a very low profit vehicle, whereas General Motors makes a lot of money off each Malibu sold and can easily be haggled down several thousand dollars or get several thousand dollars in incentives (and GM will still make a large profit ... average incentives given on the Malibu = $3,916 in 2004) and 0% interest loans ... I mean, if you put 3 times as much money into the production of a sports car, I should hope it would make much more power than a low-cost family sedan ...

In the 80s, F1 had 1.5 liter V6s that produced 1000-1500 hp ... Is it fair to compare those engines to the 1.5 liter inline-4 out of the Toyota Echo/Vitz/Yaris ? I mean, they have the same displacement ...

And, obviously, the 3 liter V10s F1s have today must get better fuel economy than the 6 liter V8 found in the new Corvette because they're half the size ...

And those big-ass industrial engines found in semi-trailer trucks, cranes, bulldozers, etc. are so unreliable ... I mean, how reliable can a 15.2 liter Inline-6 be ? It'll tear itself apart ... Geo Metros are obviously far more reliable, being 1 liter inline-3s and all ...
 
OK, Jmac 279. All of those facts are nice, but i dont really see your point. Whose side are you on? Well, that doesn't really matter either, because thats not what this thread was about. It was about whether you like American Muscle cars in GT4. I personally do, because my '70 Chevelle 454 kills anything from Japan made in 1970, not to mention a lot made in much more recent years. but that doesn't mean i don't like imports, too. All sports cars are cool in their own right, no matter where, or when, they were made.
 
S31Ender
Ummmmm.....my point exaclty.......if you think comparing a malibu with a 3.1 liter engine and a Supra with a 2.5 or 3 liter engine is retarded then how about that post I was origionally replying to, which compares old muscle with 5,6,7,8 liter engines with imports that have 2 or 3 liter engines. Of course the muscle cars could smoke the imports.........they had engines twice the size! A little fact that idiot failed to mention to people reading his post.
"Gee..........I'll bet that Mercedes 600 over there can take that Toyota Corolla!!!"
No kidding, you think?
There is no difference between what I said and what that poster said. NONE.

THAT is what I was replying to. That was the point I was trying to make.




Larger engines also tear themselves apart more easily, larger engines also weigh more, larger engines also use more fuel.


You're thinking is exaclty the american mentality that the rest of the world hates. Use more, bigger, wasteful everything when it can be done with something half the size and only 75 percent of the waste.

Baaahhhh....👎 You just havent had the opportunity to stand next to a 528 Mopar Hemi with 900+ Hp and 1000+ lb.ft. of tourqe, (let me see your turboed up supra make that kinda tourqe!!!) and OPEN HEADERS screaming at 7500 rpm down the 1/4 mile in the 9's at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus Ohio! Once you've experienced that you will quickly become hooked on the good ole American Muscle cars many of us have come to love today! So quit yur winning about larger engines this and larger engines that.... And remember this, you dont feel 22lbs of boost coming out of a costly turbo charger, What you feel is the 1000+ lb.ft. of tourqe coming out of naturaly aspirated, fuel injected, 528 CUBIC INCH HEMI! You dont feel hp, you feel tourqe!
 
440 CHARGER
Baaahhhh....👎 You just havent had the opportunity to stand next to a 528 Mopar Hemi with 900+ Hp and 1000+ lb.ft. of tourqe, (let me see your turboed up supra make that kinda tourqe!!!) and OPEN HEADERS screaming at 7500 rpm down the 1/4 mile in the 9's at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus Ohio! Once you've experienced that you will quickly become hooked on the good ole American Muscle cars many of us have come to love today! So quit yur winning about larger engines this and larger engines that.... And remember this, you dont feel 22lbs of boost coming out of a costly turbo charger, What you feel is the 1000+ lb.ft. of tourqe coming out of naturaly aspirated, fuel injected, 528 CUBIC INCH HEMI! You dont feel hp, you feel tourqe!
Supra's are well able to make that kind of torque too, so i wouldnt be talking. Honestly, how nice the V8 sounds, i think a Supra has even better sound. Costly turbocharger? Its not so costly.
 
Although a Supra can make that sort of torque, it is much less costly to make that in an engine of 528 cubic inches. all you have to do is unleash it. a smaller engine has to be force fed to make that power and torque.
 
I love the Supra, but there's something to be said for the "I'm gonna smash your face in" sound of a TRUE Hemi. From the lumpy idle to the sonic roar, it's great. And anything that can turn solid rubber into liquid is fine by me -- but I have to say that a classic makes it look a little better. 'Specially a Charger.
 
RobcioPL
Supra's are well able to make that kind of torque too, so i wouldnt be talking. Honestly, how nice the V8 sounds, i think a Supra has even better sound. Costly turbocharger? Its not so costly.

You think a Supra sounds better than 528 Hemi with open headers???:eek: What's da matter wich you boy? You have probably never heard a large American V8 with open headers before have you? Have you ever felt the concusion they generate? Or even better yet, have you ever heard a top fuel dragster? Not on TV, I'm talkin in the bleachers at the track! It's mandatory to wear ear plugs if you wanna hear the next day! And when they go by it's like your vision gets blurred there is so much power! I would recomend an NHRA drag racing event to any motor head! And can I see some figures of what it would cost to get 1000+ib.ft. of tourqe from turboed up Supra? Just curios, cause you can get that out of 528 for about, oh, $30 - $40k.

damon18
I love the Supra, but there's something to be said for the "I'm gonna smash your face in" sound of a TRUE Hemi. From the lumpy idle to the sonic roar, it's great. And anything that can turn solid rubber into liquid is fine by me -- but I have to say that a classic makes it look a little better. 'Specially a Charger.

"THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!" Kip Dynamite
 
Guys please this is the GT4 section of the forums, if you want to debate this take it to the automotive section.

Any ways I really like the muscle cars in GT4, I'm glad they put the Grand National in there, also the Buick Special is pretty sweet to (it needed the air bags though). The only one I think needs some help is the GTO they put in the game, they really should have put a better one in.
 
BlazinXtreme
Guys please this is the GT4 section of the forums, if you want to debate this take it to the automotive section.

Any ways I really like the muscle cars in GT4, I'm glad they put the Grand National in there, also the Buick Special is pretty sweet to (it needed the air bags though). The only one I think needs some help is the GTO they put in the game, they really should have put a better one in.

Sorry about going off on a rant, but I hate it when people start talkin nonsense! And yea, there are better GTOs, BUT...the 64 Tempest Le Mans GTO was the car that got it all started, and thats why it's in GT4!
 
Back