Is it time to let go?

• Thread starter robbyf
  • 335 comments
Depends how you see it. I mainly bought GT6 for the promised course maker, it never came. So in a way it was 100 Australian dollars down the drain. Not cheap.

I bought GT6 in the hope Speed test might be included to GT6 at some point or that Gran Turismo might finally get more manufacturers and more variety of a whole load of cars not in the game that are in forza. PD promised regular DLC. So far the only DLC I have seen is the vision gran turismo concepts that I care less for because they aren't real cars and are only fantasy. Yes ok so there may be a few DLC of real cars but not many. So far PD haven't delivered any of this stuff either. It doesn't mean they won't though. PD released Speed test for GT5 2 years after the game released. So its still possible we could see certain DLC content coming to the game this late into its life for GT6. Theres still hope I say.

Last edited:
I have been playing Gran Turismo since GT2 but the series got stale for me after a year and a half of playing GT6 and I can't see myself being committed to a series with developers barely communicating to fans and planning to recycle content from the Playstation 2 era for a Playstation 4 game. I jumped ship a couple of months ago - I purchased an Xbox One (With Forza Motorsport 5 as a free download) and got Forza Horizon 2 a few weeks later. Since I have purchased Forza Horizon 2, I have been treated to 2 free content updates, which was reassuring since it meant ongoing development for the game was still alive. With Gran Turismo, that's difficult to tell at times.

When talking about Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2, both games have very good visuals, maintain stable frame rates and have a good application of anti-aliasing, which I found Gran Turismo 6 to be lacking in. The gameplay felt better suited to my liking, the superior sounds create a more immersive experience and both games have a better sense of speed. Forza represents what GT could have been if the series was not so hung up on staying in its comfort zone (recycling content and concepts from previous generations), ventured into new markets (with a Horizon-like game) and more committed to public relations.

Still, I think PD has an opportunity to turn things around and give the Gran Turismo series a reboot. I thought there was a glimmer of hope with the Sierra Rally update but not much has evolved since its implementation. Maybe when Gran Turismo 7 is around and drastic changes have been implemented, I will be looking for a discounted PS4 Slim but the opposition (Turn 10 with the Forza series) was too hard to ignore for the time being as they set the bar higher than PD could from my perspective.

Last edited:
Having played every GT game on and off since GT1, I strongly consider to give the competition a first chance when Forza 6 arrives next month. GT6 hardly delivers beyond its core strengths, which undoubtedly deserve some recognition, but I'm finally exhausted waiting for GT to include things that seem like no brainers in this day and age. I mean, GT7 isn't even officially announced and GT6 still drags itself slowly forward with content updates I have extremely little interest in. In the long run, life just feels too short to wait for a developer that fails to deliver what and when it matters. The fact that I may be willing to buy an Xbox One, even though I purchased a PS4 last year, really accentuates how frustrated I am by this situation. Forza 6 promises almost everything I want from a racing game, which obviously doesn't correspond to beating GT in every aspect, but Forza 6 simply appears to offer the most complete and contemporary experience between the two. I'll not make any investments until I hear how Forza 6 pans out, especially in the physics department, but I'm definitely tempted to find myself a new digital racing home. Regardless, I will most likely buy whatever the next GT turns out to be. All things considered, letting go would be an exaggeration for me.

Last edited:
I started on GT6 when it first came out in the Christmas of '97 (maybe 96) here in Aus.
I had that, F1-97 and V-Rally.
As far as realism at the time GT was perfect what it set out to do and has always been about.
Driving street-cars, either hotted up or stock as granny's AE86.
and I had F1 if you were after realistic, pack racing.

And still to this day I've gone with those upgrades as time's progressed,
GT2, GT4 and now GT6 (I skipped GT3 and GT5) alongside F1 '10, '12, '14.
Richard-Burns Rally for the Dirt-stuff, nothing has ever come close to the proper handling that is on offer from that game. even GT6 isn't quite right. It's far too easy to keep a 600HP car pointed in the right direction on gravel.

But, GT6 still delivers it's brief,
Simulated Driving of fast cars.

I jumped ship last year, it was hard but I had had enough with the standard cars and all the other crap. When Kaz said they would be back for GT7 I said enough and bought FM5...

So the standard cars a.k.a PS2 assets are confirmed for GT7? RIP Gran Turismo.

That is what they said it would happen with GT6.

Only 180~ cars got upgraded to varying degrees. You have cars like the RUFs, Mitsubishi FTO, Toyota AE86 and Nissan R390 which are almost premium spec on the exterior alongside others like the Vectra 3.2 V6 and Focus RS which only have improved seams.

Only 180~ cars got upgraded to varying degrees. You have cars like the RUFs, Mitsubishi FTO, Toyota AE86 and Nissan R390 which are almost premium spec on the exterior alongside others like the Vectra 3.2 V6 and Focus RS which only have improved seams.
That only created even more levels or degrees of inconsistencies. It wasn't advertised that way either, that also helped with me saying bye bye to the series.

So the standard cars a.k.a PS2 assets are confirmed for GT7? RIP Gran Turismo.

Yep.

IIRC they will upgraded so it will looked similar to simi-premium cars. But still, it is not premium. Lol.

Some will, no doubt. There's been nothing said about making sure that they're all upgraded, and given what happened on that front with GT6 I'm not holding my breath for it.

Frankly, they'd be better off making new premiums than wasting their time upgrading cars. Upgraded standards were borderline on PS3, and are still way below par for PS4.

I guess having the biggest car list is the one thing Gran Turismo can still claim it has over the competition, and they probably won't give that up even if it means using cars that were made 10-15 years ago.

There's a huge amount of nit-picking about the jagged lines around headlights, premium/ semi-premium/ standards, etc

All I see when I'm playing the game is the end of the bonnet and the road/ immediate surroundings.
Sometimes the rear of the vehicle in front. And then I'm not looking at how pretty it is, it's just a moving-road-block that I need to pass.

As long as the track, and the immediate scenery looks good,
The car's handle decently and sound the part then PD have delivered for me.

they should forget about upgrading how cars look and make the things sound better and handle properly first and foremost,
then play with the rest.

There's a huge amount of nit-picking about the jagged lines around headlights, premium/ semi-premium/ standards, etc

All I see when I'm playing the game is the end of the bonnet and the road/ immediate surroundings.
Sometimes the rear of the vehicle in front. And then I'm not looking at how pretty it is, it's just a moving-road-block that I need to pass.

they should forget about upgrading how cars look and make the things sound better and handle properly first and foremost,
then play with the rest.

You have to remember that you are not playing a true 1080p game. I thought I would not see much of a difference with Forza 5 but the clarity you get in that game is spooky. If you would put a jaggy standard in F5 and mix it up with the current gen cars of Forza you would puke due to the level of graphical inconsistency.

If standards aren't really a problem they should ditch premium cars altogether and just make standards without interiors, then they would be able to make hundreds of cars per year.

then play with the rest.

What may not be a priority for you - graphic fidelity - is, for better or worse, a major driving force in the market. One that PD obviously supports too, considering the amount Kaz talked about the Premiums throughout most of the PS3 age. They should be proud, too: the modelling itself is great on most of the cars, and their lighting engine was pretty much untouched in that era. No doubt, GT7 will continue this trend, though I can't imagine how they're going to approach talking about carry-over PS2 assets if that's the route they go. Maybe they'll brush them under the rug, pre-GT5 press info style?

Besides, you're ignoring a major aspect of the game; it's not just about the racing, and PD has made a lot of noise about that. If you remember, a big part of the GT5 marketing push was "We Love Cars", and they really celebrate the automobile in general. Part of that means being able to really explore the car for some people - take a look at the Photomode section, since it's one of the biggest sub-sections for each GT game on here - and features like Forza's Forzavista, where players can peer into a car, open the doors/trunk/hood, start the engine, are a draw. They also have practical purposes; for a better damage model to be implemented, PD would need to start modelling what's under the body panels...

To comment on the OP:

Edit: I think the point I'm trying to make with all that is GT is more than just a game to a lot of us. Its part of who we are. How we grew up, and deeply intertwined with our soul, but because of all that I am refusing to try and get what could be an even better game.

GT's played a major part in my life: it paid for a year's university and has prompted me to travel to meet both other GTP'ers, and Kaz himself. My signed GT1 manual is one of my most prized possessions. But I'd never consider limiting myself to just GT and no other racing games, as it doesn't benefit me any, nor really PD, and I don't owe them anything. I'd rather play more games than less. :D

Regarding both comments above there seems to be a big divide amongst the GT community, and one which I see in teh real-life car scene

1) People who meet up to Drive their cars

2) People who meet up to look at their cars.

Personally, I'm in group 1, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what GT is about, Driving, it's on the box, it's in the title.
It's not "GranPhoto, The Real Photography Simulator"

And that's the Essence of what GT is and has always been about, look at GT1, if you stick that on the PS1 at a party, hit up arcade mode, everyone will have a crack and not give two-hoots about the fact that the racing number on the boot-lid is not the correct one for the 2014 championship.

I guess having the biggest car list is the one thing Gran Turismo can still claim it has over the competition, and they probably won't give that up even if it means using cars that were made 10-15 years ago.
Quality..not quantity.

And that's the Essence of what GT is and has always been about, look at GT1, if you stick that on the PS1 at a party, hit up arcade mode, everyone will have a crack and not give two-hoots about the fact that the racing number on the boot-lid is not the correct one for the 2014 championship.

GT1 with the special hi fi mode? :rolleyes:

You like racing. Good for you. It's not the only way to enjoy the game.

Regarding both comments above there seems to be a big divide amongst the GT community, and one which I see in teh real-life car scene

1) People who meet up to Drive their cars

2) People who meet up to look at their cars.

Personally, I'm in group 1, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what GT is about, Driving, it's on the box, it's in the title.
It's not "GranPhoto, The Real Photography Simulator"

I'm going to have to disagree. A game like rFactor or GTR is all about racing. A game like Gran Turismo? No...while racing is indeed the primary thing you do in it, GT is about cars. Why else would every car have an encyclopedic description that covers the basic history of the model, and not just how fast it can go around the Nurburgring? Why else would two cars from 1886 that have a top speed of 9 and 12 be in the game? Why else would GT even have a Photomode? Gran Turismo celebrates the automobile and the joys it brings to those of us who call ourselves car guys (and gals). And that includes looking at them as well as driving them.

There are lots of good racing games or for that matter different genre of games as well so I do not know why people get so impatient for next GT game. Most games have 2yrs cycle. But GT has more content and no DLC BS which is what I prefer. I have never bought a DLC so far. Obviously I buy GOTY version or SE version with come with extra content for free. I can wait for GT7 and I expect with a new console and easy developing tool for PS4 they can make a great game

I vision GT7 something like this :drool:

Great gfx and gameplay which are best part about PD. Day/night cycle withe dynamic weather condition.

Last edited:
There are lots of good racing games or for that matter different genre of games as well so I do not know why people get so impatient for next GT game.

When every other racing game has made the move to the current generation of consoles already while GT is still stuck on old hardware, it's not hard to imagine why people may get a bit impatient. PD's usual, frustrating silent treatment as well as no news regarding GT7 doesn't help either.

Most games have 2yrs cycles. But GT has more content and no DLC BS which is what I prefer.

GT5 charged $2 for one-use paint DLC, so I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I have played from GT3 to GT6 the only hard game was GT4. GT5 was easier for me to use online and I enjoyed giving cars to my friends. GT6 is just a very bright nice looking game but still good. I have played Forza 4 and I liked how the cars drive but still doesn't make me want to by Xbox I have played Forza 5 didn't like it.

I can't think of a good reason to by a Xbox.

I have played from GT3 to GT6 the only hard game was GT4. GT5 was easier for me to use online and I enjoyed giving cars to my friends. GT6 is just a very bright nice looking game but still good. I have played Forza 4 and I liked how the cars drive but still doesn't make me want to by Xbox I have played Forza 5 didn't like it.

I can't think of a good reason to by a Xbox.
X1 is changing for the better. If it's only for racing games and since FM isn't your thing, never mind. If you thought about getting an X1 for its games, the future looks promising.

Edit: I think the point I'm trying to make with all that is GT is more than just a game to a lot of us. Its part of who we are. How we grew up, and deeply intertwined with our soul, but because of all that I am refusing to try and get what could be an even better game.

I keep referencing this, but I have a friend that boasted about how huge of a GT fan he was, leading up to GT5. He told me how he played every GT for years. He adored GT. He quit GT5 before I did and never looked back at the GT series. He got rid of his PS3 and didn't give two craps about GT6. He isn't anticipating GT7 at all, either. GT5 was the end for me, too.

Only you can decide OP if you feel that it's time to let go or not, depends on how you play the game.

Personally I like tuning cars into stable, fun to drive machines & ive only tuned about 400/1000 so still a bit to do + online racing.

I couldn't care less about the CM so that don't bother me, having said that I have taken a break from GT6 atm, I haven't played in a month, decided to smash all 5 seasons of Game of Thrones & been enjoying a bit of arcade fun that is GRID autosport (currently on PSN for £10 ) :)

But I'll come back to GT6 at some point, maybe you/OP need some time away aswell :)

Last edited:
@robbyf - You might not post a lot, but when you do, it's a quality post. Best thread on GT Planet for a good long while. 👍

My thoughts: the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. However, Kaz once said something along the lines of; 'driving games are like rock bands, most people will buy more than one album from different bands'. Both perspectives have valid points.

I really don't know where I stand with GT6, or racing games/sim racing in general. All I know is that when I'm behind the wheel of a virtual car in a quality sim, I get a feeling of exhilaration that I've never felt with any other hobby. It's unlike anything else I've experienced. It's unique. I'm so glad that I have this in my life. I don't know what else to say.

:)

Last edited:
Back